Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

129 sleeps btw

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

So not even a handful of Trenchtown names yet, ah, lads and lassies its gonna be a bit of a wait.

Not even a whisper of theater of food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

How we laughed at the Nivea announcement last year. We didn't know how lucky we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

So not even a handful of Trenchtown names yet, ah, lads and lassies its gonna be a bit of a wait.

A part of the festival I just never go to.

Snarky Snark Snark

declanleo wrote: »
    A part of the festival I just never go to.

Me neither, not a fan of dub / reggae or their related paraphernalia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Me neither, not a fan of dub / reggae or their related paraphernalia.

The least welcoming part of the fest IMO. Not that dissimilar to the arsey vibe round the Strummerville fire at Glasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A few at the Cool Brittania fest the same weekend that I'd welcome to EP - Happy Mondays, Peter Hook & Space. Though a lot of very unwelcome stuff there also.

Running out of options for speculation though I still think we'll get one from Bjork, the Valentines or Arcade Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    A few at the Cool Brittania fest the same weekend that I'd welcome to EP - Happy Mondays, Peter Hook & Space. Though a lot of very unwelcome stuff there also.

Running out of options for speculation though I still think we'll get one from Bjork, the Valentines or Arcade Fire.
    I'd take any/all you've mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

Britpop (I appreciate not all bands here are/were britpop) was an abomination at the time, so how the whole 'scene' is still celebrated as being credible is beyond me. There was the (very) odd band that I liked at the time but 25 years down the line, I realise they were shxte! Somebody like Pulp, say, don't deserve to be tarnished with that brush.... I think I saw another festival where Northern Uproar were playing.... *shudders*

Ah now, Northern Uproar aren't that bad! :)
    Also see Cast on that list. Embrace, I think, were good in their day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

roll wrote: »
    Britpop (I appreciate not all bands here are/were britpop) was an abomination at the time, so how the whole 'scene' is still celebrated as being credible is beyond me. There was the (very) odd band that I liked at the time but 25 years down the line, I realise they were shxte! Somebody like Pulp, say, don't deserve to be tarnished with that brush.... I think I saw another festival where Northern Uproar were playing.... *shudders*

There was a lot of bad stuff for sure but I saw the whole scene as a refreshing antidote to the bleakness of much of the US grunge and lo-fi stuff. Writing off Blur, Supergrass, Oasis, Pulp, Suede, The Verve, Elastica and others doesn't seem particularly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

There was a lot of bad stuff for sure but I saw the whole scene as a refreshing antidote to the bleakness of much of the US grunge and lo-fi stuff. Writing off Blur, Supergrass, Oasis, Pulp, Suede, The Verve, Elastica and others doesn't seem particularly fair.

Dont forget "The Longpigs" one of Richard Hawleys earliest incarnations, its a shame that they only split up after releasing 2 albums. Wish that Hawley and Hunt would sort out their differences and reform, they were one of the few bright lights during that Brit Pop genre, fantastic band...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

roll wrote: »

I suppose britpop as a term is a moveable feast. Some people define it as bad music and then everything from the era is not really britpop etc etc.

If Britpop is:
    1. UK Music
    2. Guitar/band based as opposed to EDM/Rave
    3. Primarily from the 90s

Then you have:
    Stone Roses
    Happy Mondays
    Inspiral carpets
    Oasis
    Blur
    Pulp
    Cast
    Radiohead
    Ash
    Supergrass
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Kula Shakar
    Space
    Elastica
    The Verve
    Garbage
    Manic Street Preachers
    Stereophonics
    Super Furry Animals
    Supergrass
    Bluetones
    Divine Comedy
    James
    The Charlatans

That list is excluding the more one hit wondery types such as Shed Seven, Suede, the Farm, the Lightning Seeds, Travis, etc. It also doesn't include the contemporaneous and subsequent spin offs such as the Seahorses, Black Grape, Noel Gallagher, Gorrillas, Sleeper etc.

I would happily spend an entire festival listening to all of the above. But I appreciate that it is not to everyone's tastes. But there was a lot of good music that people like produced during that era.

I suppose britpop as a term is a moveable feast. Some people define it as bad music and then everything from the era is not really britpop etc etc.

If Britpop is:
    1. UK Music

Then you have:
    Stone Roses
    Happy Mondays
    Inspiral carpets
    Oasis
    Blur
    Pulp
    Cast
    Radiohead
    Ash
    Supergrass
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Kula Shakar
    Space
    Elastica
    The Verve
    Garbage
    Manic Street Preachers
    Stereophonics
    Super Furry Animals
    Supergrass
    Bluetones
    Divine Comedy
    James
    The Charlatans

That list is excluding the more one hit wondery types such as Shed Seven, Suede, the Farm, the Lightning Seeds, Travis, etc. It also doesn't include the contemporaneous and subsequent spin offs such as the Seahorses, Black Grape, Noel Gallagher, Gorrillas, Sleeper etc.

I would happily spend an entire festival listening to all of the above. But I appreciate that it is not to everyone's tastes. But there was a lot of good music that people like produced during that era.

A comprehensive list there, Johnny, but are you seriously writing off Suede as one hit wonders??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

maybe i just call all the ****e bands from the time 'britpop' (including oasis!) coz it suited me..... suede the verve and longpigs I would not consider britpop-the verve only became briptpop when they became successful- 'A Storm In Heaven' was closer to MBV! Supergrass and Blur were two of the better bands to which one could give a britpop moniker....

God bless your optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

A good list but Radiohead and Ash stick out to me as wrong

I forgot about Space! Remember buying Neighbourhood single on cassette when I was a youngun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

maximoose wrote: »
    A good list but Radiohead and Ash stick out to me as wrong

I forgot about Space! Remember buying Neighbourhood single on cassette when I was a youngun :pac:

I have the album on cassette, really into it at the time
    thought it was brill, must revisit it, its been about 20 yrs since i heard it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Stillill42 wrote: »
    A comprehensive list there, Johnny, but are you seriously writing off Suede as one hit wonders??

Travis and The Lightning Seeds also should not be described as one hit wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Feeder, faithless. The libertines headlining a festival in Kent the weekend after the picnic, I'd love s bit of faithless of the libertines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

tonto123 wrote: »
    Feeder, faithless. The libertines headlining a festival in Kent the weekend after the picnic, I'd love s bit of faithless of the libertines

Faithless DJ set tour,

Not worth it. Need sister Bliss on those piano keys imo

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

Britpop was a term a lot of those bands rejected. A lot of those bands came from an art school background (Blur, Pulp , Suede ),like all the great 80's indie bands.

At the other end you had Oasis, Verve etc giving indie a bit of a kicking. It led to some great music and stories. (Jarvis at the Brits..:))

There's a brilliant book on that scene 'The Last Party' by John Harris. Some bands ended up a right mess. :eek:

Snarky Snark Snark

Faithless DJ set tour

dj set, the wankiest term ever to be coined for the laziest version of gigging in the world...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Travis and The Lightning Seeds also should not be described as one hit wonders

Ok fair points! Anyone want to stand up for the Farm or Shed Seven?

(I saw Shed Seven play the Academy earlier in the year and they were really good btw)

EDIT: For the week that's in it, I can't believe I forgot about Gomez!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ok fair points! Anyone want to stand up for the Farm or Shed Seven? YES

(I saw Shed Seven play the Academy earlier in the year and they were really good btw)

EDIT: For the week that's in it, I can't believe I forgot about Gomez!
    YES

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ok fair points! Anyone want to stand up for the Farm or Shed Seven?

I know I'm veering into Alan Partridge territory, but I used to love their compilation album Going for Gold. Some absolute crackers. "She left me on Friiiiiday, It ruined my weeeeeeekend!"

I love The Farm! And they are touring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

mgkelly wrote: »
    Altogether now is an absolute classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

If Britpop is:
    1. UK Music

Then you have:
    Stone Roses
    Happy Mondays
    Inspiral carpets
    Oasis
    Blur
    Pulp
    Cast
    Radiohead
    Ash
    Supergrass
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Kula Shakar
    Space
    Elastica
    The Verve
    Garbage
    Manic Street Preachers
    Stereophonics
    Super Furry Animals
    Supergrass
    Bluetones
    Divine Comedy
    James
    The Charlatans

Suede in the one hit wondery types? Did I imagine Suede's music?

• Advertisement

patch wrote: »
    mgkelly wrote: »
    Altogether now is an absolute classic.
    And 'Groovy Train'. I have the album somewhere, on vinyl. Loved it! 
    They were more 'baggy' than 'Britpop', weren't they? [whatever the difference is?!]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement