Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Glasvegas would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

New DeathGrips album on the way. About time an Irish festival booked them. We got Ho99o9 a few years we are arguably heavier, but we need some Zack Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Completely!!!!

As mad as twenty March hares

That’s an understatement, met him a few years back after he gave a reading from one of his books, nut job, but my kind of nut job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Hozier back playing live later this year, could be one of the subs:

2wgzl7ioe9v01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonaGod

Some of EP headliners playing Glasgow just before. Possibility we might see some of these ??

GLASGOW SUMMER SESSIONS
    Bellahouston Park

KINGS OF LEON
    + The Wombats + The Hunna + Everything Everything + Isaac Gracie
    Wednesday 22nd August 2018
    MORE BANDS ADDED

CATFISH AND THE BOTTLEMEN
    + Twin Atlantic + DMA's + Peace + Neon Waltz
    Saturday 25th August 2018

KENDRICK LAMAR
    + N.E.R.D + Bugzy Malone
    Wednesday 29th August 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

This thread is in bad need of a shot of something at the moment. We've discussed the great Picnic sets of the past but what about the worst (or most disappointing) performances. I'm not intending to troll anyone by listing stuff below that you may have loved, it's just that the sets did nothing for me:

Arctic Monkeys (2013) - flat.
    Gary Numan (2006) - book-ended the set with great stuff but I found most of it to be metal-ish dirge, have seen him a few times and none as bad as this.
    JJ72 (2005) - the end of a band I used to love.
    DJ Shadow (2006) - the best stuff sounded great but there was no flow and just too many lengthy pauses between tracks.
    Grinderman (2008) - how can the Bad Seeds be so good and their side band so mediocre?
    A Flock of Seagulls (2009) - I wasn't expecting a masterclass but still......Only upside was getting to meet the similarly unimpressed Irvine Welsh mid-set.
    Wu-Tang Clan (2013) - flabby guys in bad sportswear, started well with Bring Da Ruckus but there was no energy there.
    Local Natives (2016) - recommended by a pal. He's not been forgiven yet.

Any other bad ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    This thread is in bad need of a shot of something at the moment. We've discussed the great Picnic sets of the past but what about the worst (or most disappointing) performances. I'm not intending to troll anyone by listing stuff below that you may have loved, it's just that the sets did nothing for me:

haha a real way to get everyone hyped for the picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Any other bad ones?

My Bloody Valentine (2013)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Wu-Tang Clan (2013) - flabby guys in bad sportswear, started well with Bring Da

Ah yes, the memories of a couple of hundred families reaching for their childrens ears as the dulcet tones of "yeah! cmon motherfunker motherfunker motherfunker" etc.. rang out at in the early evening

they were utter sh1te.

Others to add to the pile
    Clean Bandit 3 years ago? dull dull dull, other half said they were good, should have known better, not music, just bouncy diet music, music without the flavour ... to paraphrase someone famous... "they're semi-music. they're quasi-music. they're the margarine of music. they're the Diet Coke of music, just one calorie, not music enough"

stayed for 2 songs and left, felt too cleansed, needed to dirty myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gary Numan (2006) - book-ended the set with great stuff but I found most of it to be metal-ish dirge, have seen him a few times and none as bad as this.
    DJ Shadow (2006) - the best stuff sounded great but there was no flow and just too many lengthy pauses between tracks.
    Grinderman (2008) - how can the Bad Seeds be so good and their side band so mediocre?
    A Flock of Seagulls (2009) - I wasn't expecting a masterclass but still......Only upside was getting to meet the similarly unimpressed Irvine Welsh mid-set.
    Wu-Tang Clan (2013) - flabby guys in bad sportswear, started well with Bring Da Ruckus but there was no energy there.

Any other bad ones?

I've seen them more than once. This EP slot wasn't one of them but every time I've seen them, they've been flat too. Reckon they're just a bit dull live. Professional and efficient but meh... And I say that as a huge fan of the albums!

For me, lots of mid and lower tier stuff that didn't register but I can't remember an awful lot of the names tbh.

The one that stands out (and I say this every year and get slated every year) was Outkast. It did nothing for me. No swagger, no rhythm, no energy, and that's before we even get to "Hello Dublin!"

The fact that they followed Beck, who has such good stage presence, just emphasised how poor it was for me.

Also have bad memories of being bored to tears during Lykke Li in 2011 before Arcade Fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Any other bad ones?

I was quite disappointed by Blur in 2015.

Any other bad ones?

My Bloody Valentine (2013)

Respectfully disagree. Though my crew would all be on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chevra13i

Any other bad ones?

I thought Blondie were terrible on the main stage in 2014. Apparently they played the Salty Dog later in the weekend though and were brilliant but I didn't see that

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

chevra13i wrote: »
    I thought Blondie were terrible on the main stage in 2014. Apparently they played the Salty Dog later in the weekend though and were brilliant but I didn't see that

The sound was terrible at the main stage for blondie, we even moved around a bit but it was shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Jenny Lewis, 2013ish? Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Any other bad ones?

Ha! Saw loads of these and broadly agree. Local Natives were bobbins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Low 2015, not because of them but due to the sound bleed from the other tent. They were visibly p*ssed off and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Jenny Lewis, 2013ish? Shocking stuff.

14935303020_3364a9809f_z.jpg

in fairness, when she actually played she was grand but
    1 - ten mins late (unacceptable for a 45 min set)
    2 - climbing like a fookng 4 year old and wasting everyones time

pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Low 2015, not because of them but due to the sound bleed from the other tent. They were visibly p*ssed off and rightly so

Remember that vividly,they were playing roughly around the same time as Blur were on the main stage ,so the attendance was a bit down but whoever scheduled them around the same time as Jon Hopkins was doing his set in the neighboring tent should have got a right rollicking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭endainoz

Paulo Nutini from 2014, massive dissapointment and a massive let down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jenny Greene and the orchestra thing was dull. I only lasted about 15 mins. Other than that I haven’t seen too many stinkers I don’t think.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

endainoz wrote: »
    Paulo Nutini from 2014, massive dissapointment and a massive let down

I hate that guy........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thought the Fatboy Slim gigs at EP were fairly boring, good light show and that but he's clapping his hands all the time and saying yeah and not actually DJing. Both 2005 and 2013 sets yet he blew me away in 2010 at Rockness festival in Scotland, he was using a backdrop with specially filmed sets of Iggy Pop which was an interesting show. MGMT in 2009 too rather a damp squib.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Dua Lipa can p**s off

She's got no roots but her home was never on the ground :-)

Thought the Fatboy Slim gigs at EP were fairly boring, good light show and that but he's clapping his hands all the time and saying yeah and not actually DJing. Both 2005 and 2013 sets yet he blew me away in 2010 at Rockness festival in Scotland, he was using a backdrop with specially filmed sets of Iggy Pop which was an interesting show. MGMT in 2009 too rather a damp squib.

Fatboy Slim was criminally atrocious both times (my excuse for the second time was that our crowd were too lazy to move after the Valentines).

Really enjoyed MGMT but admittedly may not have been too focused at that stage of the evening. See also almost every late night set at EP.

The Lowlands lineup from April, some are at EP but would be nice to get some of the others, acts that are playing Forbidden Fruit in there too.

lowlands18.thumb.jpg.87eb217cb112b2387c25bae62c80a62e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Would love David August from that lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jenny Greene and the orchestra thing was dull. I only lasted about 15 mins. Other than that I haven’t seen too many stinkers I don’t think.

If I could thank this 100 times I would. The fact Una Mulally raved about it in that free paper the next day made me question my sanity.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Would love David August from that lineup

Playing All Together Now earlier that month.

• Advertisement

C'mon keep the Picnic discussion alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement