Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

C'mon keep the Picnic discussion alive.

Ok. We've gone over best and worst performances.

How about best headliners? Only the main stage last act on or directly preceding the Sat night late dance act.

Pick three acts, one point for each and I'll tot them up to give a definitive boardsie greatest EP headliner. Mine are:

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds 2005
    The Cure 2012
    LCD Soundsystem 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bjork 2013 before Disclosure especially when she done that pyro stuff.
    Portishead before Chic 2014 (Chic were bloody good too).
    Franz Ferdinand before George Clinton's pFunk 2008. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Have we covered people's overall favourite Picnic year and why? If not, let's do it!

Have we covered people's overall favourite Picnic year and why? If not, let's do it!

2005 had the stellar line-up that's not bested since and was one hell of a weekend.

I've never had a bad year but my personal fave remains 2008. Several of my favourite bands did standout sets (Wilco, Sigur Ros, That Petrol Emotion, My Bloody Valentine) plus Arcadia & This is Pop Baby were both fab. Other bands on form were the Pistols, George Clinton (though he lost the crowd), Sinéad, The Waterboys, Tindersticks, Breeders and many more. Big crowd of us and the stars coalesced. 2012 also great, but then they all are really, aren't they?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    2005 had the stellar line-up that's not bested since and was one hell of a weekend.

I've never had a bad year but my personal fave remains 2008. Several of my favourite bands did standout sets (Wilco, Sigur Ros, That Petrol Emotion, My Bloody Valentine) plus Arcadia & This is Pop Baby were both fab. Other bands on form were the Pistols, George Clinton (though he lost the crowd), Sinéad, The Waterboys, Tindersticks, Breeders and many more. Big crowd of us and the stars coalesced. 2012 also great, but then they all are really, aren't they?

Even though I'm done with camping I still feel so nostalgic for the Picnic. It really is a fantastic weekend!

• Advertisement

Even though I'm done with camping I still feel so nostalgic for the Picnic. It really is a fantastic weekend!

Still pretty peerless in terms of an Irish weekend. Will be greatly missed when it's gone.

Still pretty peerless in terms of an Irish weekend. Will be greatly missed when it's gone.

When it's gone?

When it's gone?

Hopefully it'll endure but it may be gone in 5/10 years. It almost went under in 2013 and such difficulties could arise again. Another recession and all festivals would struggle.

It gets a lot of (generally) unjustified criticism and I think is under-appreciated by many. Even the messy Oxegen is even missed by some on boards and a festival season without EP would leave an unfillable hole in the calendar. But I think we'll have it for many a year.

Hopefully it'll endure but it may be gone in 5/10 years. It almost went under in 2013 and such difficulties could arise again. Another recession and all festivals would struggle.

It gets a lot of (generally) unjustified criticism and I think is under-appreciated by many. Even the messy Oxegen is even missed by some on boards and a festival season without EP would leave an unfillable hole in the calendar. But I think we'll have it for many a year.

Don't know if it's under-appreciated, it still has managed to sell out pretty quick the last few years. It's also a great weekend but it's not beyond criticism either especially in terms of the line-up of recent years but we've had that discussion before

Can't see it going anywhere for the foreseeable, it's lasted 14 years which is longer than any other Irish festival that I'm aware of!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Ok. We've gone over best and worst performances.

How about best headliners? Only the main stage last act on or directly preceding the Sat night late dance act.

Pick three acts, one point for each and I'll tot them up to give a definitive boardsie greatest EP headliner. Mine are:

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds 2005
    The Cure 2012
    LCD Soundsystem 2016

Portishead
    LCD Soundsystem
    Duckworth Lewis Method (they were earlier in the day but still magic)

• Advertisement

Don't know if it's under-appreciated, it still has managed to sell out pretty quick the last few years. It's also a great weekend but it's not beyond criticism either especially in terms of the line-up of recent years but we've had that discussion before

Can't see it going anywhere for the foreseeable, it's lasted 14 years which is longer than any other Irish festival that I'm aware of!

Absolutely agree that criticism due on some points. But in terms of under-appreciation I feel that EP gets slated year-in year-out, much of it on here but also on social media. And not just for line-up but for a whole raft of things. I just feel that there's a lack of respect for the difficulty of organising such a festival with an astonishing array of things on offer.

But yes, please get rid of the E-Lites & Cocktail Cocktail soundsystems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

When can we expect to get another announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd reckon mid-july

116 sleeps

That's away too long a wait I thinking more the starting of June or mid-June for second announcement.

Snarky Snark Snark

That's away too long a wait I thinking more the starting of June or mid-June for second announcement.

I am an idiot. Meant to type June. That’s when it was last year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Davydeath

De la Soul a possibility? obviously playing Dublin with Gorillaz in june but could come back for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

We need something , there's no major buzz at all on this even about what we have already... Here's hoping the next announcement puts an injection of life into us here on boards.... No one going I can't wait for this or that... Dua lipa will keep the kids happy... The kooks , churches, George Ezra are fine but not bands I'd be excited for months in advance... Kendrick great pull by the picnic but jus not for m.. I liked nerd 14 , 15 years ago but their new song is trash and like the others not a band I'll be jumping out of my skin to see... Here's really hoping we get a few decent bands /DJs in the next announcenr to get excitement back on this page... Peggy gou I'm looking forward to seeing and Nina kraviz after that iv checked out most of the line up and seen nothing to catch my eye... Everyone on here great music knowledge by the way I love learning from u all and discovering new acts thank y'all

Davydeath wrote: »
    De la Soul a possibility? obviously playing Dublin with Gorillaz in june but could come back for this.

They're playing the OnBlackheath festival in London the week after EP. Announced today. Can't see DLS travelling just for that gig so a definite option for Stradbally.
    Also has Squeeze & Billy Bragg who are possibilities. About time we had the Deptford lads there.

Also has the libertines, they would be a great coup, put on a super show at the point last year

tonto123 wrote: »
    Also has the libertines, they would be a great coup, put on a super show at the point last year

That was last year. But true, they'd be a great addition to EP. The main stage is missing a guitar band or two.

• Advertisement

ah ok i see that now, they are playing that victorious festival in england the weekend before the picnic so heres hoping... def need a few guitar bands thrown in, in the next announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

They're playing the OnBlackheath festival in London the week after EP. Announced today. Can't see DLS travelling just for that gig so a definite option for Stradbally.
    Also has Squeeze & Billy Bragg who are possibilities. About time we had the Deptford lads there.

Paloma Faith is also playing OnBlackheath plus a number of other festivals this summer!!! Could we get her??

Snarky Snark Snark

eplady2017 wrote: »
    Paloma Faith is also playing OnBlackheath plus a number of other festivals this summer!!! Could we get her??

Do we have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

That was 3 years ago, time flies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Do we have to?

Ah in fairness, Paloma is hilarious live... excellent band to boot.

Snarky Snark Snark

aye, i was a bit harsh maybe, she could have her own stand for the weekend flogging Skodas to replace that godawful place opposite Jerry Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gawdd

Hi!

I am just wondering does anyone have any experience in missing an instalment payment??

mine wasnt successful and I cant get through to ticketmaster to figure out what to do :(

Nope, could do without the skangy Pete Doherty, I suppose I could just go to another stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ToddlaTeezy

Recently discovered Svedaliza on the lineup, big fan. Hopefully mid day in a tent, get Portishead type vibes from her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

So if it were a choice between De La Soul or The Libertines, which would you go for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement