Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

What I would like is for them to get the finger out.

Judging by the timetable, compiled by that devilishly handsome Rigor Mortis chap, they are falling further behind.

I want to re-up my hype levels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What's the logic of the staggered releases from a business point of view? They seem to sell out regardless of who is playing so they are beyond the point that they need to reel people in, unlike the other festivals.

So for example another festival can do the following:

Stage 1 - People who buy off the strength of last year's line up / the general festival goodwill / fun. Sometimes the early tickets are cheaper but you buy them without knowing who is playing

Stage 2 - Tickets sell after the first lineup / headliners are announced. If they sell out at this stage they don't need to get other bands to shore up the undecided, so can either spend the money on bands that they actually want to give a shot to for band improvement purposes or alternatively they can book cheaper bands and bank extra profits

Stage 3 - If they haven't sold out after the first lineup is announced, they can invest in some serious second tier acts, either by another headliner or by variety. So in one festival, it might not sell out because there are no "must see" bands, in another it might be that they are too rock/dance orientated etc.

I don't see why a sold out festival needs to bother with the third part. So why are the picnic waiting? Is it because they haven't agreed the deals yet, or that they are building the hype, or maybe they are looking for feedback to know which way to go in terms of variety etc?

Overall, I'm not expecting much from the second announcement, as there is no real incentive for them to do so. But I would secretly hope that we will get a big 80s band, a soul singer in his/her 60s on a cashing in tour, a few recent ish indie bands and a load of good Irish bands and cover bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

What's the logic of the staggered releases from a business point of view? They seem to sell out regardless of who is playing so they are beyond the point that they need to reel people in, unlike the other festivals.

Stage 1 - People who buy off the strength of last year's line up / the general festival goodwill / fun. Sometimes the early tickets are cheaper but you buy them without knowing who is playing

Stage 2 - Tickets sell after the first lineup / headliners are announced. If they sell out at this stage they don't need to get other bands to shore up the undecided, so can either spend the money on bands that they actually want to give a shot to for band improvement purposes or alternatively they can book cheaper bands and bank extra profits

Stage 3 - If they haven't sold out after the first lineup is announced, they can invest in some serious second tier acts, either by another headliner or by variety. So in one festival, it might not sell out because there are no "must see" bands, in another it might be that they are too rock/dance orientated etc.

I don't see why a sold out festival needs to bother with the third part. So why are the picnic waiting? Is it because they haven't agreed the deals yet, or that they are building the hype, or maybe they are looking for feedback to know which way to go in terms of variety etc?

Overall, I'm not expecting much from the second announcement, as there is no real incentive for them to do so. But I would secretly hope that we will get a big 80s band, a soul singer in his/her 60s on a cashing in tour, a few recent ish indie bands and a load of good Irish bands and cover bands.

I think that all the bookings are done a year in advance, so that rules out the above strategy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think that all the bookings are done a year in advance, so that rules out the above strategy.

If that's the case, it's done purely for hype. Also makes you wonder how they decide which ones to announce first and which to announce later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Could see Childish Gambino make an appearance. I know This is America just came out and everyone is all over it but other stuff is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

His album Awaken My Love is brilliant. He'd be an outstanding booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Could see Childish Gambino make an appearance. I know This is America just came out and everyone is all over it but other stuff is great

Would be quite a coup for EP. Just two European gigs lined up this year for Spain and London in mid-July (Longitude weekend actually I think?) and then a US tour from September on before heading on to New Zealand in November.

Wouldn't rule it out but would definitely cast him as a less likely addition but would be absolutely brilliant for sure.

The most recent album 'Awaken, My Love' is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

... But I would secretly hope that we will get a big 80s band, a soul singer in his/her 60s on a cashing in tour, a few recent ish indie bands and a load of good Irish bands and cover bands.

Is that not every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't know really but I'd say for some people it adds to the excitement and while I'm no marketing guru I'd say that having these announcements over the summer does generate excitement and hype among people. I've definitely seen comments on their facebook at second & third announcements from people who see one or two acts they like and they tag their friends and say "oh definitely have to go next year" or whatever. I don't think it's a bad thing anyway although it does test your patience sometimes.

I would hope for something similar in the next announcement. Over the past few years there have been some great additions in the second announcement but last years was a bit weak I thought.

Is that not every year?

Not so far this year.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

ah give it a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Recent additions to Lowlands Festival.

LL18_april23.thumb.jpg.99d26fded123549504fec6c22a7750fa.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

Do we get much cross over with that festival? (not that EP seems to get much cross over with any festival)

Do we get much cross over with that festival? (not that EP seems to get much cross over with any festival)

There would be at least 7 or 8 acts anyway that would play both as Lowlands is quite near the dates to the Picnic although they do have some pretty large headliners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Dua lipa, nerd, kendrick lemar are all playing both festivals this year not sure about other years

The Lowlands wiki page has a handy drop down tab for each year of the festival, if you check against the Picnic years there is quite a bit of crossover apart from the first year 2004 of the Picnic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowlands_(festival)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

might as well put this here, Aphex Twin announced for his only gig of 2018 so far in November:
    https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=41767

same weekend as Metropolis festival here I think, which is run by POD who have had him over the last 2 times he's played here, so far more likely for that, but possible, although very unlikely, for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

When did we say the second announcement was made last year? End of May/Early June??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just for interest, here are last years follow up announcements.

Stage|Date
    Other Voices 1|May 3
    Trench 1|May 11
    Food|May 17
    Transmission|May 19
    Main Stage 2|June 23
    Anachronica|July 12
    Casa Bacardi|July 18
    Hazel Wood|July 20
    Body & Soul|July 27
    Other Voices2|July 31
    Comedy|Aug 2
    Electric Ire|Aug 8
    Jerry Fish|Aug 10
    Trailer Park|Aug 17
    Main Stage 3|Aug 17

Here is the full list of last years announcement dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Here is the full list of last years announcement dates.

Thank you! :D
    we should sticky that..

We're well overdue an announcement so

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember my mate was trying to get his data working on the phone to view the second announcement, it was the opening day of Body & Soul festival last year, so quite a lot were talking about the new additions for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

Quick one...i just read on electric picnic website that you need to purchase either a campervan or caravan and car ticket. Ive a campervan ticket but im bringing a caravan i dont rem seeing an option for caravan and car?? Can anyone confirm ive either fuct up or it will be sound????

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

bulbymc wrote: »
    Quick one...i just read on electric picnic website that you need to purchase either a campervan or caravan and car ticket. Ive a campervan ticket but im bringing a caravan i dont rem seeing an option for caravan and car?? Can anyone confirm ive either fuct up or it will be sound????
    Update.....
    Ignore correct ticket purchased panic over

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Just finished cutting the grass listening to a live recording of Geno Washington.

The EP bookers would do us a great service by getting him for that earey afternoon Sunday slot.

Magical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 huneybunny

Hey guys, do you think there will be any more tickets on sale closer to the event, like there were last year? 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah there will be some on ticketmaster in the weeks before it and plenty on toutless/done deal etc i wouldn't worry.

Ya, that's what I was thinking, thanks.

mod edit: no ticket sales on thread.

Snarky Snark Snark

huneybunny wrote: »
    Ya, that's what I was thinking, thanks.

Probably better to check toutless in the run up weeks before

Probably better to check toutless in the run up weeks before

Ya, will do. Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

If you are a 3 customer they usually have another batch of tickets to sell closer to the event as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement