Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Rosanna Davidson's food event was jammed packed last year. I had to go for a look and I could not get into the tent as it was full of men "interested in food". :D
    No doubt my husband will want to swing by during her time slot.

You reckon they'll get Nigel Slater? He'd be a pretty big draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

How can you tell a Waterford accent from a Kilkenny/Tipp/Wexford one?

Well boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

BOHtox wrote: »
    So are we due an act announcement any day now?

We got a theater of food announcement, the rest will come the day beforehand, don't be ungrateful or else Melvin Benn will come around to your house and tickle you whilst telling you how Picnic isn't about music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

would have loved Mac Demarco on the next announcement but he's just announced dates and he's in the states around EP time :(
    but on the bright side he's playing dublin in november! yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hozier and Jack White on next announcement. My guess. Hozier for def.

Hozier has fest appearances in Sep and Jack White has no Irish date on his Euro or Fest tour. Both are promoted with Live Nation who runs EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Jack White's euro stint is done by Aug and then he's stateside until he hits Russia in October, flag as nice but deeply unlikely

Hozier would be likely alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jack White would be a headliner anyway so he’d have been in the first announcement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Jack White would be a headliner anyway so he’d have been in the first announcement

Not quite as evident by his festival slots in other live nation fests. Some cases he’s co-headliner and in others subbing.

Snarky Snark Snark

Would he still be? I know his tours sell well but not so sure he’d have widespread appeal.

Would he still be? I know his tours sell well but not so sure he’d have widespread appeal.

can say the exact thing about Kendrick.. but yet here we are.

If he was announced it would be this years 'Blur co-head' announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

can say the exact thing about Kendrick.. but yet here we are.

If he was announced it would be this years 'Blur co-head' announcement.

Is this trolling? Pulitzer prize this year & several Grammys. Sold out 3 Arena and likely could have sold more nights. Last two albums number ones in the US, one and two in Ireland and the UK. Had guests like Rihanna and U2 on Damn. Arguably the biggest solo star on the planet and a big coup for EP.

I swear some of you have this real big hard on for Kendrick which is cool and all but the reality is to other people Kendricks tours sell well but we're not so sure he'd have widespread appeal.

See how you can apply this to any big artist?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Is this trolling? Pulitzer prize this year & several Grammys. Sold out 3 Arena and likely could have sold more nights. Last two albums number ones in the US, one and two in Ireland and the UK. Had guests like Rihanna and U2 on Damn. Arguably the biggest solo star on the planet and a big coup for EP.

jack whites won 12 grammys, kendricks won 12

Pulitzers = 0 . And to be fair having listened to Kendrick I don't feel stuff like

'“I feel like it ain’t no tomorrow, **** the world/The world is endin’, I’m done pretendin’/And **** you if you get offended/I feel like friends been overrated/I feel like the family been fakin’/I feel like the feelings are changin’”' or the production in DAMN is better than it's previous winners.

It was however the first non classical/jazz piece to win though. Feels a bit like virtue signalling as there were plenty of better albums that year.

Just my opinion.

Nah def not trolling.

I swear some of you have this real big hard on for Kendrick which is cool and all but the reality is to other people Kendricks tours sell well but we're not so sure he'd have widespread appeal.

jack whites won 12 grammys, kendricks won 12

Pulitzers = 0 . And to be fair having listened to Kendrick I don't feel stuff like

'“I feel like it ain’t no tomorrow, **** the world/The world is endin’, I’m done pretendin’/And **** you if you get offended/I feel like friends been overrated/I feel like the family been fakin’/I feel like the feelings are changin’”' or the production in DAMN is better than it's previous winners.

It was however the first non classical/jazz piece to win though. Feels a bit like virtue signalling as there were plenty of better albums that year.

Just my opinion.

Nah def not trolling.

Jack White's debut was in 1999, Kendrick in 2011. KL's wins are recent and he ain't stopping at 12. In term's of critic's choices Damn was top album across the board in 2017.

Fair enough that you're not trolling. It's all subjective taste. I'd welcome JW at EP, have enjoyed much of his recent stuff and never seen him solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

On another note, imagine the weather is like this for EP.. the dehydration in the mornings could be serious... They'll be charging €5 a bottle of water!

It was like this at Glasto last year. Trust me you won't be complaining.

Snarky Snark Snark

But I’m not asking it to be applied to any other artist, White’s stuff recently is not exactly setting the world alight outside of the review pages and BBC6.

Couldn’t give two f.ucks either way about Lemur but he is a certainly a helluva lot bigger than Mr white atm

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

It was like this at Glasto last year. Trust me you won't be complaining.

I will at those prices!

But I’m not asking it to be applied to any other artist, White’s stuff recently is not exactly setting the world alight outside of the review pages and BBC6.

Couldn’t give two f.ucks either way about Lemur but he is a certainly a helluva lot bigger than Mr white atm

Then to answer your question. Yes Jack would still be regarded a headliner. He’d also be considered a sub headliner in some fests; he’d also be considered a lesser artist than kendrick to some and to others a more superior artist to kendrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭deeks

Then to answer your question. Yes Jack would still be regarded a headliner. He’d also be considered a sub headliner in some fests; he’d also be considered a lesser artist than kendrick to some and to others a more superior artist to kendrick.

I don't think anyone is arguing whether he's a superior artist or not. That's obviously subjective but the facts of the matter are that Kendrick is a far "bigger" artist than Jack White at the moment and on that basis more headliner material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

was still about 15 degrees out at 10pm last night, would be amazing for the picnic after rain pretty much for the first time ruined the sat night for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

It shows the Electric picnic is not willing to cough up any coopers when All together Now manage to bring back Arcadia.

Its badly missed in Stradbally

To be honest I don't think JW would currently be a headliner but definitely a sub. The return of his old band would be a different matter.

And I accept that White could be a much stronger live performer than KL. Not seen either live and wary of how Kendrick will come off at Stradbally. Reports from Longitude a couple of years back weren't great though 3 Arena reviews much better. Nice to see them both there for a comparison but as Scruff said the dates make it very unlikely.

Big hip hop acts are often hit and miss live, I hope he nails it on the night. I think at the 3 arena he had a live band instead of just backing tracks which would probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Foooook we need an announcement quick... This is torture ... Want to get listening to more acts I may be seeing in stadbally

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

tonto123 wrote: »
    Foooook we need an announcement quick... This is torture ... Want to get listening to more acts I may be seeing in stadbally

I think all that can be done now is to scrutinise the efestival European and UK festival listing for fests on around the same time or else visit certain bands and musicians pages in case they accidentally confirm playing the Picnic like Jimmy Cliff did this year for All Together Now and Bestival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well Arcade Fire's tour schedule stops at August 21st in Iceland and they resume touring in late September in the US, so they could be a possibility on the day NERD is playing, maybe NERD will be subbing them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Well Arcade Fire's tour schedule stops at August 21st in Iceland and they resume touring in late September in the US, so they could be a possibility on the day NERD is playing, maybe NERD will be subbing them.

One of my strong possibilities too. They were amazing earlier in year.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

showpony1 wrote: »
    was still about 15 degrees out at 10pm last night, would be amazing for the picnic after rain pretty much for the first time ruined the sat night for me.

it was 17 degrees at midnight last night at Mace Head, Galway

i should try and get out more.....

• Advertisement

One of my strong possibilities too. They were amazing earlier in year.

Boxing ring in the middle of the Electric Arena to close out Sunday might.. My oh my, that would be awesome!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement