Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I think if I had to pick one headliner, I'd go with Depeche Mode. Let's have them on the main stage Saturday, Mozza on Friday night and let the Pixies wind it up on Sunday. That's not too much to ask, is it?

No, it's not.

I'll also have Tom Waits & Kate Bush to close out the Body and Soul Stage :cool:
    Oh man. Now we're cooking. I'm away to get cracking on the Trailer Park line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No, it's not.

I'll also have Tom Waits & Kate Bush to close out the Body and Soul Stage :cool:

This would be amazing, I might finally be able to convice my dad to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id be happy enough with them to be honest but the whinging on facebook would be biblical! Id like to see them book more old school headliners though, it makes the festival crowd a lot nicer because it moves the average age up a bit which is no harm.

I think this was a massive factor in this years EP being so good. The headliners and main stage acts seemed to attract an older crowd and for me it felt like a much more mature crowd around most of the main arena as a result (aside from Casa Bacardi, Electric Ireland and a few others).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id be happy enough with them to be honest but the whinging on facebook would be biblical! Id like to see them book more old school headliners though, it makes the festival crowd a lot nicer because it moves the average age up a bit which is no harm.
    Speaking of oldies what about a set from the Monkees? They did a 50th anniversary tour in 2016 and their album last year was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Speaking of oldies what about a set from the Monkees? They did a 50th anniversary tour in 2016 and their album last year was superb.

My missus said she would leave me because of my obsession with the Monkees.

I didn't think she was serious, but then I saw her face..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Had a brilliant Picnic this year one of the better ones over recent years, I think for the 1st time in years they got the balance spot on, there was a brilliant mixture of acts, very diverse, something for everyone, old and young alike. Fully expect something along the same lines next year. It doesn't always have to be flavour of the month acts, or massive headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

That's a cracking tune.
    It has the same feel as 'A man/me/then Jim' by Rilo Kiley which is no bad thing.

That's a cracking tune.
    It has the same feel as 'A man/me/then Jim' by Rilo Kiley which is no bad thing.
    Written by the lead guy from Death Cab Called Cutie. Loads of people involved in the last album including Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller & Andy Partridge from XTC. Album highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Heard a new song from Bjork on John Kelly's Mystery Train on Lyric FM this evening. Superb; almost a spiritual experience. Reminded me of the last time I saw her @ EP. I stood completely transfixed. 
    Wouldn't it be absolutely brilliant if she was on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I'm thinking Gorillaz must be very likely as one of the headliners w/ no Irish date on their forthcoming European tour.

Personally would love Kendrick to make his EP bow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Prodigy have a new album out in early 2018. A headline slot would be immense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

If I was a betting man (which I'm not, because I always, always lose), I reckon next year's EP will have Fleet Foxes, the War on Drugs and Grizzly Bear toward the top end of the bill, with the National among the headline acts.

Would love to see Gorillaz still around next festival season as I've never caught them. Currently nothing announced beyond March but they didn't do too extensive a European tour this year, did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭deeks

If I was a betting man (which I'm not, because I always, always lose), I reckon next year's EP will have Fleet Foxes, the War on Drugs and Grizzly Bear toward the top end of the bill, with the National among the headline acts.

Would love to see Gorillaz still around next festival season as I've never caught them. Currently nothing announced beyond March but they didn't do too extensive a European tour this year, did they?

I sincerely hope you're correct - you've pretty much described my dream line up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Maybe Gary Numan is due a return?

Just checking out his new album, so far so good. I do love his live shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

deeks wrote: »
    I sincerely hope you're correct - you've pretty much described my dream line up :-)

I reckon they'll all be features of the festival circuit next year anyway. Just have to hope they're still going by September! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Gorrilaz and the Prodigy......

I highly doubt we'd be lucky enough to get both but either one would be class!

kg703 wrote: »
    Gorrilaz and the Prodigy......

I highly doubt we'd be lucky enough to get both but either one would be class!

Last time I saw Gorillaz it was underwhelming to say the least. Maybe it was the fact that the venue was 3Arena or whatever it was called at the time. Hate that venue in general. Nonetheless, I was left feeling a bit "meh".

Only saw The Prodigy once, many years ago just after Experience, and it was quite noisy and quite great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I saw the Prodigy back when I was 14 at Witness (2001/2002?) and while it was great I was definitely too young to appreciate it!

That's disappointing to hear, they have some serious tunes and you'd think the 'cartoon' performance novelty would add to some spectacle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Have seen the Prodigy in 2009 and 2010 , both times they were unreal imo and would be a great addition as friday night dance act

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Bar The Xx, I don't think many would have predicted the headliners for this year. I think it'll be much of the same for next year. Could see The National headlining for sure... but wouldn't be surprised to see 2 other random acts headlining the other nights.

People mentioned Aha (in a similar vein to Duran duran) ... that wouldn't surprise me.

Personally would love to see LCD back, even Beck.... who knows..

But as headliners go, as much as I'd love the above acts or even the Prodigy... I just can't see it. Me thinks festival republic are gonna scrimp in terms of paying headline acts, especially when the festival sells out early once again.

I hope I'm wrong but feeling pessimistic about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I'd love to see Phoenix back, headlining the EA. their set was phenomenal but wasted on the main stage in the lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Bad Religion are releasing a new album next year.

PinkCamper wrote: »
    I'd love to see Phoenix back, headlining the EA. their set was phenomenal but wasted on the main stage in the lashing rain.

Almost never do bands get booked two years in a row. Certainly of the stature of Phoenix.

Bar The Xx, I don't think many would have predicted the headliners for this year. I think it'll be much of the same for next year. Could see The National headlining for sure... but wouldn't be surprised to see 2 other random acts headlining the other nights.

People mentioned Aha (in a similar vein to Duran duran) ... that wouldn't surprise me.

But as headliners go, as much as I'd love the above acts or even the Prodigy... I just can't see it. Me thinks festival republic are gonna scrimp in terms of paying headline acts, especially when the festival sells out early once again.

LCD Soundsystem must surely be in the running for 2018.

I am not convinced that the festival will sell out as quickly this year, if at all. The amount of tickets that were available the week beforehand is indicative of how the 2017 lineup was not aligned with the expectations of many of those who bought before the line up announcement. FR have to take that into consideration before booking headliners. Do they go with what they did in 2017 and risk not selling out, or return to satisfying the "kids" with more "well known" and more current headliners? It is a tricky decision. Personally I hope they repeat the style of 2017, but FR don't really care what the likes of me want, as we will go anyway. It might be possible to get an idea of how sales will go overall by comparing the early bird sales trends with last years trends.

You also have to bear in mind that booking of headliners for 2018 starts around now. No doubt FR have a list of acts they would like to book and will start negotiations immediately. This has probably already started to be honest.

I wonder how far in advance they actually book the headliners and I questions whether in fact this was the case at all.

For some reason, as much as I really enjoyed Duran Duran, I can't imagine they were top of the list of acts that could've headlined this year.

Where they headlining many festivals across Europe this year?

The Ep bookers would surely have known the likes of depeche mode and kasabian for example were releasing an album or playing festivals across Europe. These would've been much more favoured to play by the punters.

But why would they choose Duran Duran over those two? The only reason I can think of is $$$.

Tickets sold out in March is that right? I wouldn't have been surprised if they were still in negotiations with a headline act before cancelling once the tickets sold out and possibly bumping Duran Duran up from sub to headliner.

Maybe I'm wrong but just a hunch..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the headliners booked already. Most big bands organise touring schedules over a year in advance.

Id love Kendrick but I think he's probably gotten too big now. He's the biggest name in hip hop at the moment since Kanye has moved out of the limelight. Id say he'd be massively expensive but I could be wrong.

I wonder how far in advance they actually book the headliners and I questions whether in fact this was the case at all.

For some reason, as much as I really enjoyed Duran Duran, I can't imagine they were top of the list of acts that could've headlined this year.

The Ep bookers would surely have known the likes of depeche mode and kasabian for example were releasing an album or playing festivals across Europe. These would've been much more favoured to play by the punters.

But why would they choose Duran Duran over those two? The only reason I can think of is $$$.

Tickets sold out in March is that right? I wouldn't have been surprised if they were still in negotiations with a headline act before cancelling once the tickets sold out and possibly bumping Duran Duran up from sub to headliner.

This could certainly have been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

1 - Duran Duran would have been very expensive and they do not play many festivals in Europe so it was pretty good grab.
    2 - Depeche Mode are in America, simple as that.
    3 - Kasabian, FR work with them and already had them for Reading / Leeds, these are very different festivals, if you want that sort of headliner then go to that sort of festival.
    4 - As pointed out, headliners are booked and contracted over a year in advance. FR would not be looking at their ticket sales and then tearing up a contract, if you think that's what happens then you're a muppet. Any event organiser who acted in that manner would be out of business within a year.

LCD Soundsystem must surely be in the running for 2018.

I am not convinced that the festival will sell out as quickly this year, if at all. The amount of tickets that were available the week beforehand is indicative of how the 2017 lineup was not aligned with the expectations of many of those who bought before the line up announcement. FR have to take that into consideration before booking headliners. Do they go with what they did in 2017 and risk not selling out, or return to satisfying the "kids" with more "well known" and more current headliners? It is a tricky decision. Personally I hope they repeat the style of 2017, but FR don't really care what the likes of me want, as we will go anyway. It might be possible to get an idea of how sales will go overall by comparing the early bird sales trends with last years trends.

You also have to bear in mind that booking of headliners for 2018 starts around now. No doubt FR have a list of acts they would like to book and will start negotiations immediately. This has probably already started to be honest.

The tickets available the week beforehand didn't matter to FR as they'd already sold out. There were a few hundred online but that's to be expected given the capacity. People have last minute health issues, childcare problems, pals pulling out, etc. Will always happen and though it may have been more this year I'd expect that all or almost all the tickets were used. Anecdotally the pals of mine who offloaded tickets in the fortnight beforehand all got rid of them very quickly. The demand was there and the demand will remain for 2018.

I'd expect the festival to again sell out very quickly and if FR released all the remaining (non-early bird) tickets in November (which is unlikely) I reckon they'd sell out before Xmas. We may get an announcement soon that the early birds are gone, and I think once more EP will sell out within a week of the main announcement in March.

And yes please to LCD.

• Advertisement

1 - Duran Duran would have been very expensive and they do not play many festivals in Europe so it was pretty good grab.
    2 - Depeche Mode are in America, simple as that.
    3 - Kasabian, FR work with them and already had them for Reading / Leeds, these are very different festivals, if you want that sort of headliner then go to that sort of festival.
    4 - As pointed out, headliners are booked and contracted over a year in advance. FR would not be looking at their ticket sales and then tearing up a contract, if you think that's what happens then you're a muppet. Any event organiser who acted in that manner would be out of business within a year.

Are you implying that duran duran are an in-demand act for festivals around europe?? Also youre saying theyre expensive. How expensive are you talking about? Since u seem to be in the know, how expensive were they relative to the xx and atcq? We're they not due to headline a festival in killarney a few years back and the whole thing was shelved due to ticket sales??

I also said that the might be still negotiating with headline acts before shelving it once tickets have sold out. Do you know for sure they had the 3 headliners signed up as actual headliners this time last year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement