Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Pretty sure the blue balls festival have that covered
    https://blueballs.ch/

I ain't clicking on that link! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

everlast75 wrote: »

I clicked that link and now my dog's balls are blue...

EP need to step it up this year, or else just completely commit to being a more pop orientated festival, the trying to do both thing isn't really working for them, and it's annoying all the punters new and old, ATN are just really just destroying them, I have Beatyard and Picnic tickets and really regret it as I'd have much preferred to go to ATN, lineup is much better etc

Now, still plenty of time for EP to whip it out of the bag, and I hope they do, but alas, I fear this may also by my last

I can really see this happening. Rather than "compete" with ATN next year, they will let ATN take that (dare I say it) more serious/mature audience and EP will pander to the younger punter who keep slagging the line up with "never heard of any of these acts". How would B&S fit in to such a re-imagined festival though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Picnic glory years are over lads, it's only going to get more cramped & uncomfortable from here on in. B&S won't stick around too much longer & will concentrate on their own festival.

You should all join us on the ATN bandwagon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

everlast75 wrote: »

ah go'wan, looks like a nice festival actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jaysus talk about panic stations in here! The lineup for EP will be better than the lineup for ATN by the time the August bank holiday comes around, I say that with confidence. I get the impression ATN has played its hard early to try and sell tickets whereas EP will have a few more tricks up their sleeve over the next 2 months or so. I can't see ATN adding any more major acts to their lineup, probably a host of local acts and DJs to fill out some of the late night stages but their latest announcement was weak enough!

Long term you could be right in saying that ATN will become the go to festival for a more mature audience but EP is still the top dog and won't be beaten easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Picnic glory years are over lads, it's only going to get more cramped & uncomfortable from here on in. B&S won't stick around too much longer & will concentrate on their own festival.

You should all join us on the ATN bandwagon :pac:

Weak line up IMHO. But getting Arcadia is impressive and the timing is good for punters with school-age kids. My sister and family are heading there for that exact reason.

EP is getting a slagging for being the establishment festival but will still have the strongest line-up of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

What is also a little surprising is, for all the positivity to ATN, it aint sold out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Weak line up IMHO. But getting Arcadia is impressive and the timing is good for punters with school-age kids. My sister and family are heading there for that exact reason.

EP is getting a slagging for being the establishment festival but will still have the strongest line-up of the year.

I'd imagine Arcadia showing up is John Reynolds related, when he severed ties to the Picnic 7-8 years ago they stopped coming over.

Yeah the Picnic will obviously have the better lineup this year but POD know how to put on a good festival so i'd imagine all going well in a couple of years ATN could be mid size 25k-30k festival with decent linesups.

I could be in the same camp as others on here, depending on how both go this year this could be my last trip to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

What is also a little surprising is, for all the positivity to ATN, it aint sold out yet.

Saw on an article about the addition of Arcadia,

Limited tickets remaining.

How 'limited' is unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Jaysus talk about panic stations in here! The lineup for EP will be better than the lineup for ATN by the time the August bank holiday comes around, I say that with confidence. I get the impression ATN has played its hard early to try and sell tickets whereas EP will have a few more tricks up their sleeve over the next 2 months or so. I can't see ATN adding any more major acts to their lineup, probably a host of local acts and DJs to fill out some of the late night stages but their latest announcement was weak enough!

Long term you could be right in saying that ATN will become the go to festival for a more mature audience but EP is still the top dog and won't be beaten easily.

Exactly , its all getting a little overhyped , sure groove Armada are constantly gigging and on the go for years, underworld iv seem many times... Fleet foxes I only seen last summer and roisin Murphy I seen at the picnic the same year as underworld were last there ??? So its hardly that new and exciting either...

Snarky Snark Snark

i think it's just hitting the hotspot for a certain demographic, which is fine (if i was in the country at time, i'd be tempted meself), problem is if it targets that demographic only then it could go stale quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Poorside wrote: »
    What I wouldn’t give to be heading to the Salty dogg about now, tent sorted out and swinging a bag of cans through the woods.

THIS ^^^^ sums up my day.
    Would kill to be there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Saw on an article about the addition of Arcadia,

Limited tickets remaining.

How 'limited' is unknown.

There was limited tickets remaining before they sold the first ticket. :D

I've no doubt it will sell out. I'm just astonished it has taken this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

There was limited tickets remaining before they sold the first ticket. :D

I've no doubt it will sell out. I'm just astonished it has taken this long.

It’s the classic tactic of get them while they’re there. Then turns out you didn’t have to rush at all. :)

There is quite a bit of "Arcadia just announced".... We knew all along we were getting Arcadia... It was mentioned months ago....

Now, Thundercat is a fab addition.

For sure it targets a certain demographic. That demographic spend money by the way.

Also although it is thought of as a 10,000 festival, the licence is for 15,000. Selling out a new festival of 15,000 is not straight forward, regardless of lineup.

Personally I am loving both lineups so far and have tickets for both festivals... Also going to Body&Soul straight after 2 weeks in Portugal... Yeah the summer is looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

There is quite a bit of "Arcadia just announced".... We knew all along we were getting Arcadia... It was mentioned months ago....

Now, Thundercat is a fab addition.

For sure it targets a certain demographic. That demographic spend money by the way.

Also although it is thought of as a 10,000 festival, the licence is for 15,000. Selling out a new festival of 15,000 is not straight forward, regardless of lineup.

Personally I am loving both lineups so far and have tickets for both festivals... Also going to Body&Soul straight after 2 weeks in Portugal... Yeah the summer is looking good.

Had people been aware of ATN when EP early birds went on sale then I'd wager that ATN would be sold out by now. ATN very likely to be a success and EP sales thus likely to be a tad slower for 2019. But plenty of room for both and Body & Soul. It's the likes of Beatyard that'll suffer. May not return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Its a shame Echo and The Bunnymen and Johnny Marr have announced stand alone gigs would have loved them at the picnic.

Snarky Snark Snark

Plenty of acts have had stand alone gigs and picnic in same year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Had people been aware of ATN when EP early birds went on sale then I'd wager that ATN would be sold out by now. ATN very likely to be a success and EP sales thus likely to be a tad slower for 2019. But plenty of room for both and Body & Soul. It's the likes of Beatyard that'll suffer. May not return next year.

Not just the Beatyard affected but Castle Palooza and Indiependence too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think EP is going to go for a younger more charts crowd and ATN is going to go for the older more chilled out crowd, which like when EP first came along as Witness/Oxygen did likewise.

Beatyard is always good but it seems to struggle to sell tickets. Which is odd because it is cheap and low committment as it is a day city festival and the bands are usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see that the Afro Celt Soundsystem is active around August, they are playing the Fairport Convention festival Cropedy in August 9th - 11th. Wouldn't mind seeing them again, missed them at EP last time in favour of Crystal Castles in 2010. I saw them in the late 90s at the Galway arts festival big top, twas some gig.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

thebusher wrote:
    THIS ^^^^ sums up my day. Would kill to be there now.

I was the same, so headed down to Vantisval at last minute yesterday. Just back. Great very small festival with definitely older crowd with kids. Great venue and v enjoyable.

Beats Bloom!

Peter

Snarky Snark Snark

87 sleeps and funk all updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Rex Orange County announced a gig for 30th September in Vicar, would have liked them for Picnic, very likely ruled out now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Wait till the LCD gig is over later tonight, they'll prob be back for EP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I'd take James Murphy over LCD, i've enjoyed that sorta stuff (including Despacio) more than LCD's mainstage gig a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Sorry if it's been discussed already but it's a long thread and I can't find it, can anyone tell me when tickets are normally disptached. I havent been in a few years. Family camping ticket if that makes a difference (the times they are a changing).

Snarky Snark Snark

Would be a bit of a stretch given they're nowt in Yurp for July or August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

EOTR have announced their day splits: http://endoftheroadfestival.com/2018/06/2018-day-splits-revealed-plus-bbc-radio-3s-late-junction-return-tirzah-added/

This is how it should be done. Line-up is super, much like EP used to be....and done on a fraction of the budget that FR have...

(They also let you drink your own grog anywhere on site...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement