Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

eplady2017 wrote: »
    Of course not.. We need an announcement of an announcement first :D:D:D

I was going for the reverse psychology route, but I'd take an announcement about an announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I realise that the Picnic interns have to post the occasional updates on Facebook, Twitter et al. But I pity them for the dog's abuse they're getting at the moment for the lack of announcements. Tempted to pass on Melvin Benn's online contact details.
    Best guess for next main arena announcement?

Liam Gallagher, MCD gig next weekend, touring all the way through the summer, playing festivals in Switzerland and Germany each weekend either side of EP, but completely free for EP weekend....
    very likely sub IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

roll wrote: »
    Most festivals have a shelf life-it might be that EP is coming to the end its cycle. oh well it's given us plenty of moments over the last 15 years

It's selling out faster than ever at its biggest capacity ever. It has become the destination festival for 18-25 year olds in Ireland and retains a huge portion of its traditional fanbase too.

End of its cycle? I'd say it's never been in as strong a position in terms of its business capacity.

Line-up isn't to my taste this year but let's not pretend that EP is going anywhere any time soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I reckon next Friday Jun 15th.

I reckon they just want to announce once the hype from all these Kilmainham/Malahide gigs are over.

Then inbetween the next big announcement in August they'll trickle smaller stages week by week/fortnightly.

They shouldn't leave it for the week of the 22nd as social media will be full of Body & Soul fest and they wouldn't want that sort of clash.

Actually I guess, small announcement next week (salty dog/other voices type), with the bigger one two weeks later around Jun 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭roll

It's selling out faster than ever at its biggest capacity ever. It has become the destination festival for 18-25 year olds in Ireland and retains a huge portion of its traditional fanbase too.

End of its cycle? I'd say it's never been in as strong a position in terms of its business capacity.

Line-up isn't to my taste this year but let's not pretend that EP is going anywhere any time soon!!

sounds like oxegen circa 2010/2011

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

roll wrote: »
    sounds like oxegen circa 2010/2011

Oxegen failed because it overstretched at the same time that the arse fell out of the economy. Half its target market emigrated and the other half was flat broke and couldn't afford to go not because they started booking popular bands.

Electric Picnic is owned by Festival Republic too, who also own and operate Reading, Leeds, Download, Lolla Berlin, Hove, Latitude, Wireless, etc.

They're about as secure as you can get in a pretty insecure market. Economic conditions could deteriorate or one of their other products could suffer badly but as the only major standalone camping festival (20,000+ attendees) in this country, EP is a solid bet for the time being.

It might not be me, you or the crowd from 2007 there anymore, but the brand is safe, popular and selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I think I'm going to be hanging out in same area as Seathrun66 :)

I've got my ticket to see Aha in Cork next Tuesday - and I'm dying to relieve those dancing days - and spotting old mates from the 80's clubby scene in Corcaigh …………….. Midge Ure did Cork Opera House, last year and he was amazing - still hits those notes. Human League filled the Savoy in Cork two different years (prob about 8-10 years ago) they were incredible. I haven't seen Heaven 17 since London in the 90s and if they do Fascist Groove Thing or Penthouse and Pavement - then I'll be crawling my way to the stage (oh if only) and Paul Weller is just a God.

So any of them would be just the sprinkles on top of the ice cream cone on a hot day :D

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Micro Disney but last year Sean O'Hagan did a gig in Cork in the Cricket Club - and OMG - he was just fantastic.

I think the big acts this year are for the "Young ones" which I'm not happy about as 2016 there were too many aggressive, drunken kiddiwinks.

Last year I thought it was a much nicer, calmer atmosphere and the line up was incredible - I remember on the Sun my bum being parked at main stage area most of the day - but then again - The Pretenders/Chaka Khan/Duran Duran - it was just 80's happiness - and the "Young ones" that were there, knew all the songs - so that says something for the music of that period.

Also, wondering about Alanis Morrissette...…………

But I've got my fingers crossed for any of the above - or all - and then throw in a bit of Florence, some Rock and for goodness sake can they not let us know more of the Irish Bands playing.

Not sure if drawing out the next announcement is complacency/ apathy or is there something that's going to make us all SCREAM with JOY ………………

My mate heading to Bilboa in Spain for an amazing festival with Florence, David Byrne amongst headliners - sounding more appealing to be going somewhere with guaranteed sunshine and big names...………….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Oxegen failed because it overstretched at the same time that the arse fell out of the economy. Half its target market emigrated and the other half was flat broke and couldn't afford to go not because they started booking popular bands.

Electric Picnic is owned by Festival Republic too, who also own and operate Reading, Leeds, Download, Lolla Berlin, Hove, Latitude, Wireless, etc.

They're about as secure as you can get in a pretty insecure market. Economic conditions could deteriorate or one of their other products could suffer badly but as the only major standalone camping festival (20,000+ attendees) in this country, EP is a solid bet for the time being.

It might not be me, you or the crowd from 2007 there anymore, but the brand is safe, popular and selling.

Yeah, this is it it. Everyone looks at these things through their own prism; I don't like the lineup therefore the lineup is crap, I'm not as interested in going therefore no-one is interested in going.

The reality is that EP sold out 50,000 tickets, the vast majority of which went before the first acts were even announced. All Together Now is 15,000 and still hasn't sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I think we'll see Prodigy Bjork and maybe Arcade Fire 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hope Blackie's right too - any / all of those 3 - yes please. Happy "Garbage" on the Menu :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Yeah, this is it it. Everyone looks at these things through their own prism; I don't like the lineup therefore the lineup is crap, I'm not as interested in going therefore no-one is interested in going.

The reality is that EP sold out 50,000 tickets, the vast majority of which went before the first acts were even announced. All Together Now is 15,000 and still hasn't sold out.

All Together Now have a lot more competition for tickets.. Clashing with Castlepalooza, Independence and Beatyard. To my knowledge there is no other festival the weekend of EP. Best it has to compete with is an All Ireland final.
    I don't imagine they expect to sell out in their first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

All Together Now have a lot more competition for tickets.. Clashing with Castlepalooza, Independence and Beatyard. To my knowledge there is no other festival the weekend of EP. Best it has to compete with is an All Ireland final.

I was more replying to the idea that:
    With ATN and all of the other festivals that now take place in Ireland, EP is no longer the festival people go to even when the lineup is crap because there's nothing else on offer.

That's clearly not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

I think we'll see Prodigy Bjork and maybe Arcade Fire ��

Please god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I've heard they aren't shifting the tickets they expected to at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think the €180 price tag probably isn't helping ATN, quite pricey ignoring the early bird offers which seem more realistic as full price to me.

(I have my ticket and looking forward to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

what is some people's obsession with saying how great ATN is, it has acts that have all been on (some of them even twice) in the last few years at EP when EP was considered to have "crap" line-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Think it's just a combination of ATN having a lineup that is pretty decent and increasing frustration with EP keeping their announcements under wraps.

Fwiw, in the 5 EPs i've been to, i don't think any of them have had a bad line up, some were better than others but that's just personal taste (and taste is not something I've ever been accused of having).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

showpony1 wrote: »
    what is some people's obsession with saying how great ATN is, it has acts that have all been on (some of them even twice) in the last few years at EP when EP was considered to have "crap" line-ups.

Being on a bank holiday, as opposed to having to take the monday off or go home early on the sunday, being at the height rather than the end of summer, having an excellent marketing campaign, allowing people to bring their cans in to the stage areas, being 1/3rd or less the size of EP and having a general buzz of being more alternative/older crowd with EP being seen as more mainstream are all significant differences.

That and it's slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Being on a bank holiday, as opposed to having to take the monday off or go home early on the sunday, being at the height rather than the end of summer, having an excellent marketing campaign, allowing people to bring their cans in to the stage areas, being 1/3rd or less the size of EP and having a general buzz of being more alternative/older crowd with EP being seen as more mainstream are all significant differences.

That and it's slightly cheaper.

Based on that I’d buy another ticket... if I didn’t already have one. Cannot wait. Rain or shine it’s gonna be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

showpony1 wrote: »

To be honest I think it's a bit of a case of people hoping that it will bring them back to the days when they started going to EP. Definitely a bit of a "back in the day EP was way better" off a lot of posters and I think they are hoping that ATN will have a hot tub time machine effect and will roll back the years for them.

I am going to ATN myself and really looking forward to it and do think it seems to tick all of the boxes in terms of a festival, but there seems to be an over the top love for it because of what it represents possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I think we'll see Prodigy Bjork and maybe Arcade Fire 😎

Prodigy playing Italy on the 31st & then Spain on the tuesday. Was hoping for chemical bros but since they anounced october gig its unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Prodigy playing Italy on the 31st & then Spain on the tuesday. Was hoping for chemical bros but since they anounced october gig its unlikely

Also too soon since they last played which was 2016.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

What does the Interwebs say about the possibility of Depeche Mode being added.

They are playing festivals this summer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Coz wrote: »

If this happens I will happily eat my own face..while kicking teenager mumbling Frankly Mr Shankly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Coz wrote: »

Unless they're about to announce more dates, then it's unlikely as their last date is in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

haitens wrote:
    If this happens I will happily eat my own face..while kicking teenager mumbling Frankly Mr Shankly

haitens wrote:

Is there an Oxford comma missing or do you just dislike teenage Smiths fans?? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rize Festival in Hydlands Park, Chelmsford happening between 17th and 18th August, perhaps we will get some acts from this.

RiZE-artwork-stage-split-960x1350.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Rize Festival in Hydlands Park, Chelmsford happening between 17th and 18th August, perhaps we will get some acts from this.

RiZE-artwork-stage-split-960x1350.jpg

I think our Saturday sub headliner could be Liam Gallagher, announcement once his malahide gig is over. Few on that line up I'd be happy with. At this stage I just want to start getting excited about some new acts..

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I suppose Manic Street Preachers, Circa Waves, Ash, Belly, Jake Shears could all offer some sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

NERD apparently were decent at parklife festival, playing some Neptune's hits as well.
    Bodes a little better for EP I suppose...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement