Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Are you implying that duran duran are an in-demand act for festivals around europe?? Also youre saying theyre expensive. How expensive are you talking about? Since u seem to be in the know, how expensive were they relative to the xx and atcq? We're they not due to headline a festival in killarney a few years back and the whole thing was shelved due to ticket sales??

I also said that the might be still negotiating with headline acts before shelving it once tickets have sold out. Do you know for sure they had the 3 headliners signed up as actual headliners this time last year?

Well that escalated....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Are you implying that duran duran are an in-demand act for festivals around europe?? Also youre saying theyre expensive. How expensive are you talking about? Since u seem to be in the know, how expensive were they relative to the xx and atcq? We're they not due to headline a festival in killarney a few years back and the whole thing was shelved due to ticket sales??

I also said that the might be still negotiating with headline acts before shelving it once tickets have sold out. Do you know for sure they had the 3 headliners signed up as actual headliners this time last year?

1 - given they still sell out arenas, then yes they would still be in demand
    2 - likely yes, as headliner, they'd be in the 300K bracket at least
    3 - You'd be comparing them to XX only as primary headliners, they would also be in the 250 - 300K bracket
    4 - no, DD were not why that killarney thing fell apart, that was a festival that moved to a high cost hotel only location and then had piss poor planning behind it, nothing to do with them.
    5 - EP is a decent sized european festival festival run by FR, Melvyn Benn had stated that he'd signed LCD up when Murphy was there the year before with his high powered disco tent, there's plenty of articles out there showing how the festival business works and how far in advance they book, examples given below (B is a bit out of scope as it's glasto and bands will cut their balls off to play it but it shows how far out these things are planned).

a) https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/rqnav6/how-are-the-headline-acts-at-the-top-uk-festivals-booked
    b) http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/festivals/glastonbury-headliners-booked-for-next-two-years-with-four-returning-acts-and-two-new-ones-10492796.html
    c) https://www.festicket.com/magazine/features/bilbao-bbk-live-we-talk-masterminds-behind-lineup/
    Note : (c) was published before the 2016 BBK festival, they'd already started booking 2017 at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

1 - Duran Duran would have been very expensive and they do not play many festivals in Europe so it was pretty good grab.
    2 - Depeche Mode are in America, simple as that.
    3 - Kasabian, FR work with them and already had them for Reading / Leeds, these are very different festivals, if you want that sort of headliner then go to that sort of festival.
    4 - As pointed out, headliners are booked and contracted over a year in advance.  FR would not be looking at their ticket sales and then tearing up a contract, if you think that's what happens then you're a muppet.  Any event organiser who acted in that manner would be out of business within a year.

Are you implying that duran duran are an in-demand act for festivals around europe??  Also youre saying theyre expensive. How expensive are you talking about? Since u seem to be in the know, how expensive were they relative to the xx and atcq? We're they not due to headline a festival in killarney a few years back and the whole thing was shelved due to ticket sales??

Headlined Common People in Oxford/Southampton last year & Bestival the year before. Prominent slots in the three South American Lollapalooza fests earlier this year. Their booking management team online put their hire costs between $300k and $400k per night (€252k to €336k) so not cheap. And the crowd they drew on the Sunday night confirms their pulling power. Many of the bands whose names we've bandied about here would struggle to get those numbers. DD may have been cheaper than some of the acts we wanted, but they weren't a cheapskate option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Some interesting stuff there. EP's booking policy seems to me to stand up pretty well against all of those. There appears to have been less money spent but more imagination shown in 2017. Once they keep up the latter, I can live with the former.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff there. EP's booking policy seems to me to stand up pretty well against all of those. There appears to have been less money spent but more imagination shown in 2017. Once they keep up the latter, I can live with the former.
    We also need to factor in the costs of running the areas that the likes of Reading, Leeds, T in the Park & Oxegen have never had. Body & Soul, Mindfield, Trailer Park, Salty Dog, Trenchtown and other stuff incur costs that are not paid for by corporate sponsorship. 

EP is also at a disadvantage in terms of travel and transport costs compared to UK & mainland European festivals. Moving a band and equipment from Madrid to Paris to Amsterdam is a hell of a lot cheaper I'd imagine than getting across from anywhere to Ireland. 

All in all I think we've always done really well with the line-ups at EP. Sure, there are plenty of omitted acts I'd like to have seen there but I have more than a little faith in the bookers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Fair enough lads I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The tickets available the week beforehand didn't matter to FR as they'd already sold out. There were a few hundred online but that's to be expected given the capacity. People have last minute health issues, childcare problems, pals pulling out, etc. Will always happen and though it may have been more this year I'd expect that all or almost all the tickets were used. Anecdotally the pals of mine who offloaded tickets in the fortnight beforehand all got rid of them very quickly. The demand was there and the demand will remain for 2018.

I'd expect the festival to again sell out very quickly and if FR released all the remaining (non-early bird) tickets in November (which is unlikely) I reckon they'd sell out before Xmas. We may get an announcement soon that the early birds are gone, and I think once more EP will sell out within a week of the main announcement in March.

And yes please to LCD.

I was keeping an eye on this in the run up to the festival this year and there was 1000 for sale on done deal alone just the day before... (600-700 the week before).

But yeah this is always gonna sell out...

mimimcmc wrote: »
    The tickets available the week beforehand didn't matter to FR as they'd already sold out. There were a few hundred online but that's to be expected given the capacity. People have last minute health issues, childcare problems, pals pulling out, etc. Will always happen and though it may have been more this year I'd expect that all or almost all the tickets were used. Anecdotally the pals of mine who offloaded tickets in the fortnight beforehand all got rid of them very quickly. The demand was there and the demand will remain for 2018.

I'd expect the festival to again sell out very quickly and if FR released all the remaining (non-early bird) tickets in November (which is unlikely) I reckon they'd sell out before Xmas. We may get an announcement soon that the early birds are gone, and I think once more EP will sell out within a week of the main announcement in March.

And yes please to LCD.

I was keeping an eye on this in the run up to the festival this year and there was 1000 for sale on done deal alone just the day before... (600-700 the week before).  

But yeah this is always gonna sell out...
    If I'm right a lot of those are repeated adverts (ie if someone doesn't get a response they then post the ad again) but if I'm wrong what was the situation with people being unable to sell on? Anyone know of people stuck with tickets? The three people I know who sold on had no issue whatsoever selling whether online or to friends of friends. All three got rid of the tickets within four hours. But all were 7-14 days beforehand. I'd not be confident about offloading in the last 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

If I'm right a lot of those are repeated adverts (ie if someone doesn't get a response they then post the ad again) but if I'm wrong what was the situation with people being unable to sell on? Anyone know of people stuck with tickets? The three people I know who sold on had no issue whatsoever selling whether online or to friends of friends. All three got rid of the tickets within four hours. But all were 7-14 days beforehand. I'd not be confident about offloading in the last 48 hours.

In the 2/3 days before the festival there was ~500 on adverts too, loads with no comments or interest even when priced at early bird rates.

A LOT more around this year than previous.

I don't think people would be reposting adverts when they're €3 a pop and they'll probably already be selling their ticket at a loss :o

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »

In the 2/3 days before the festival there was ~500 on adverts too, loads with no comments or interest even when priced at early bird rates.

A LOT more around this year than previous.
    So it seems from all the posters here pre-festival. This is only the second year at 55,000 I think but is this what we're going to have from now on or was the 2017 lineup that off-putting for a lot of people? And could a fair percentage of those tickets be touts or speculators who got burned? I'd like to think so.

I don't think people would be reposting adverts when they're €3 a pop and they'll probably already be selling their ticket at a loss :o
    Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the cost. As before, hopefully lots of those tickets were touts & speculators as it may stop them taking tickets for next year. Though I can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ads are free on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Pink moon 2 man tents sold out. Bollox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

One for the teenager kickers.
    Hopefully we get to see these next year.

https://youtu.be/VXZx19uN4MQ

thebusher wrote: »
    One for the teenager kickers.
    Hopefully we get to see these next year.

https://youtu.be/VXZx19uN4MQ
    Caught them in 2015 and enjoyed them but not enthralled. However, this is great, a really fresh sound and it'd be good to see them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

MadYaker wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have the headliners booked already. Most big bands organise touring schedules over a year in advance.

Id love Kendrick but I think he's probably gotten too big now. He's the biggest name in hip hop at the moment since Kanye has moved out of the limelight. Id say he'd be massively expensive but I could be wrong.

Kendrick headlined Longitude last year wasn't it? Surely EP holds more gravitas in a similar vein to Jay Z w/ Glastonbury way back?

Snarky Snark Snark

So it seems from all the posters here pre-festival. This is only the second year at 55,000 I think but is this what we're going to have from now on or was the 2017 lineup that off-putting for a lot of people? And could a fair percentage of those tickets be touts or speculators who got burned? I'd like to think so.

Think a lot were put off by the lineup which though great was underwhelming in big name shiny acts (r word and the like), but given the weekend that was had, I think that they’ve laid a serious marker that it’s not all about the big shiny names. They’ve done nothing but improve the desirability of having a ticket regardless of who’s top of the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

how much are the Sunday day tickets and when do they go on sale usually, might be an option for me next year?

Snarky Snark Snark

Until they go on sale, no one knows the exact price.

They go on sale next March’ish
    D.Q wrote: »
    Pink moon 2 man tents sold out. Bollox!!

Pretty sure they’ve been cutting the number of two mans over the last few years in favor of larger tents but still a bit surprising, would wonder if there’s some form of touting going on.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Watchin BBC4 right now, wonder what are chances of getting Br. Giorgio (5 years late) are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Watchin BBC4 right now, wonder what are chances of getting Br. Giorgio (5 years late) are.

Crikey was that five years ago....I was gutted and there was f all on that Friday night

Synode wrote: »
    Ads are free on adverts

No they're not

https://help.adverts.ie/hc/en-us/articles/201401651-Success-fees

(EP tickets would usually be advertised for over €100 so there would be a fee of €3)

Unless you know the loophole that I know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Kendrick headlined Longitude last year wasn't it? Surely EP holds more gravitas in a similar vein to Jay Z w/ Glastonbury way back?

That is a fair point you're right he did. That gives me hope! Id love to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Think a lot were put off by the lineup which though great was underwhelming in big name shiny acts (r word and the like), but given the weekend that was had, I think that they’ve laid a serious marker that it’s not all about the big shiny names. They’ve done nothing but improve the desirability of having a ticket regardless of who’s top of the poster.

Anyone I've talked to young or old had an epic weekend so I think people who've been to one or two picnics realise that the headliners don't make or break the weekend and will buy tickets regardless.

No they're not

https://help.adverts.ie/hc/en-us/articles/201401651-Success-fees

(EP tickets would usually be advertised for over €100 so there would be a fee of €3)

Unless you know the loophole that I know ;)

Apologies. I sold stuff during those summer months where they were free. But it was just a promo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Tago Mago wrote: »

That is a fair point you're right he did. That gives me hope! Id love to see him.

Same here. Some posters were saying that he wasn't great at Longitude but that doesn't bother me. The guy is on a level above every other hip-hop artist right now. Kamasi Washington & Thundercat also on the bill would make it pretty sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

kinda concerned about how much of pink moon is sold out already
    im not sure who's going with me next year so frustratingly I cant book yet

does anyone know if its normal for so many options to be sold out already
    im interested in a 2 man or a 4 man depending on who's going
    is there loads of 4 mans on the site, i never really took note?
    the only 2 man left is the rainbow tipis, anyone any knowledge on these?
    is there loads of those also, any idea when they sold out in previous years?

cheers

I reckon they're only the early birds that are sold out and would expect them to go back on sale again at some stage in the future. You should email them and they'll tell you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes it should only be the early bird priced ones that are sold out at the moment. They will prob go back on sale soon, but they will sell out too, so maybe contact them and see when they are going on sale again or get on their mailing list for notifications.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement