Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

There's been a few mentions of "Young Fathers", saw them at It Takes a Village back in April - they were incredible - feedback from those at gig was this is one we're going to be talking about for years i.e. "I was there the night at...…………"

Wondering will "Oh Pep" appear at EP - two young Aussies - who bowled us over.

Anyway - back to reality - into the second week of July and still no big announcements - not even Comedy Line Up or Hot Press - nothing at all (that I can find).

Apart from Massive Attack will Garbage be the only other bit of 90's Nostalgia -although some are also mentioning Suede - never saw them but did see Bernard Butler in the late 90s in London and he was just amazing. Not even a Gallagher Brother......…. No sign of any 80's bands - seriously - what are they waiting for.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Judes wrote: »
    There's been a few mentions of "Young Fathers", saw them at It Takes a Village back in April - they were incredible - feedback from those at gig was this is one we're going to be talking about for years i.e. "I was there the night at...…………"

Anyway - back to reality - into the second week of July and still no big announcements - not even Comedy Line Up or Hot Press - nothing at all (that I can find).

Apart from Massive Attack will Garbage be the only other bit of 90's Nostalgia -although some are also mentioning Suede - never saw them but did see Bernard Butler in the late 90s in London and he was just amazing. Not even a Gallagher Brother......…. No sign of any 80's bands - seriously - what are they waiting for.

I

I'm ashamed to say, but Five in the electric Ireland tent were one of the highlights for me last year!
    Cant beat a bit of nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I'm ashamed to say, but Five in the electric Ireland tent were one of the highlights for me last year!

Don't be ashamed - well maybe a little :D nah - it's supposed to be a festival of a bit of everything for everyone - but this year...…………….. I was gutted when 2 years ago I turned up late for Bananarama - I was so excited to finally be seeing my 80's heroines - and I missed the whole thing - I still want to cry at that thought. I remember last year there seemed to be a few rumours about Jimmy Sommerville and that didn't happen.

But Davestator we'll let you have your moment with Five :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

2 unlimited a few years back were epic. only played for 30 minutes but the tent was hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Likewise. Was there last year, and honestly will camp nowhere else in future. It's a brilliant service for the small price of not being a slob.

Likewise, though they did come around last year with a 'how much would you pay to stay here, pay for showers, pay for toilets etc' so every time I get the mail from them I'm expecting the price announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Don't be ashamed - well maybe a little :D nah - it's supposed to be a festival of a bit of everything for everyone - but this year...…………….. I was gutted when 2 years ago I turned up late for Bananarama - I was so excited to finally be seeing my 80's heroines - and I missed the whole thing - I still want to cry at that thought. I remember last year there seemed to be a few rumours about Jimmy Sommerville and that didn't happen.

But Davestator we'll let you have your moment with Five :):):)

To make you feel a little better Bananarama were pretty poor. I was really looking forward to them but they had a thumping Ibiza-ish party backing track to all the songs. Cheap & nasty. And spoiled some of the best pop songs from the greatest decade for pop tunes.

Since Siobhan returned I think they’ve toured with a proper band so should be far more enjoyable now and I’d welcome them back. As other posters have said this line up is badly missing some eighties stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

At the amusement of my friends who left me I stood there shouting every word to every song and died when the crowd kept singing a Backstreet Boys song by mistake.

They were the 2nd act I ever saw live at 11 and it was some craic. Nothing wrong with some silly cheesy pop over the weekend that’s what that tent is for

kg703 wrote: »
    At the amusement of my friends who left me I stood there shouting every word to every song and died when the crowd kept singing a Backstreet Boys song by mistake.

They were the 2nd act I ever saw live at 11 and it was some craic. Nothing wrong with some silly cheesy pop over the weekend that’s what that tent is for

Fully agree. I just wish they’d shove George Ezra & The Kooks in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Likewise, though they did come around last year with a 'how much would you pay to stay here, pay for showers, pay for toilets etc' so every time I get the mail from them I'm expecting the price announcement
    can't imagine there'll be any charge for camping this year, but I'd definitely pay for showers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

can't imagine there'll be any charge for camping this year, but I'd definitely pay for showers in there.

I'd stretch to €50 to include showers and clean toilets and a couple of food stalls other than the small coffee place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I'd stretch to €50 to include showers and clean toilets and a couple of food stalls other than the small coffee place.

Don’t say those things or they might see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    To make you feel a little better Bananarama were pretty poor. I was really looking forward to them but they had a thumping Ibiza-ish party backing track to all the songs. Cheap & nasty. And spoiled some of the best pop songs from the greatest decade for pop tunes.

Since Siobhan returned I think they’ve toured with a proper band so should be far more enjoyable now and I’d welcome them back. As other posters have said this line up is badly missing some eighties stuff.

Yeah the Electric Ireland tent was absolutely rammed for Bananarama anyway and like Seath says they were using a backing track, I caught a bit of them last year at Beatyard and they were with a live band, I have to say it was a much better gig than the EP one.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I

Wouldn't be surprised to end up with the likes of Johnny Marr, Paul Weller and/or The The; all touring anyway.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to end up with the likes of Johnny Marr, Paul Weller and/or The The; all touring anyway.

They couldn't afford them with the smashing pumpkins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

Smashing Pumpkins not in Europe till October unfortunately, or was that a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

What's Johnny Marr like solo? All I've heard outside of the Smiths is the stuff he did with Hans Zimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Tago Mago wrote: »

Was hoping for marr but he is playing his own gig in nov in dublin so he's off the the line up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    What's Johnny Marr like solo? All I've heard outside of the Smiths is the stuff he did with Hans Zimmer.

He was excellent in 2013, he played the Electric Arena in an evening set, a mixture of some of his solo stuff and some Smiths classics.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

BadTurtle wrote: »

Was great in 2013 as BD said but caught him supporting The Who in 2015 and he was very poor. He'd just released a pretty awful album and the set was drab. But hey, again I'd be happy to give him a look. Always does 4/5 Smiths tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Rather Johnny Marr than poxy Morrissey anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Was great in 2013 as BD said but caught him supporting The Who in 2015 and he was very poor. He'd just released a pretty awful album and the set was drab. But hey, again I'd be happy to give him a look. Always does 4/5 Smiths tracks.

His latest song is so very similar to "there is a light"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Yes, even I have to bow to the inevitable and admit that his brainless comments have made him persona non grata. A sad state of affairs. Johnny is altogether a more affable chap. And we'd still have a pint with These Charming Men, wouldn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

declanleo wrote: »
    Was hoping for marr but he is playing his own gig in nov in dublin so he's off the the line up

Plenty do a festival & a smaller date later on in the year, different genre entirely but ala Jon Hopkins, or would it be the announcing of the later Dublin date prior to his hypothetical naming on the EP bill?

endainoz wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins not in Europe till October unfortunately, or was that a joke?

Most of what I say is a joke. There's no point in taking life too seriously... I'd love to see the smashing pumpkins announced, but I'm also realistic, we'll end up with the blizzards and wild youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Easy Rod wrote: »

Definitely. Morrissey handily keeps the title of biggest **** in music this year despite strong competition from Kanye West.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Yes, even I have to bow to the inevitable and admit that his brainless comments have made him persona non grata. A sad state of affairs. Johnny is altogether a more affable chap. And we'd still have a pint with These Charming Men, wouldn't we?

All whilst kicking teenagers the length and breadth of Stradbally estate. I'm bring out the retro Puma Kings this year. Most comfortable kicking boots I ever had

Most of what I say is a joke. There's no point in taking life too seriously... I'd love to see the smashing pumpkins announced, but I'm also realistic, we'll end up with the blizzards and wild youth.

Pumpkins definitely out. US dates on all three nights of EP. A shame we’ve never had them as they’re ideal Picnic fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Friendly Fires have an EP sized gap in their schedule. Saw them this past weekend and they bored me

PinkCamper wrote: »
    Friendly Fires have an EP sized gap in their schedule. Saw them this past weekend and they bored me

Haven't they been announced already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yes

ep_lineup_firstannouncement_sold_out_web.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement