Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Scheduling it the same weekend as EP would be suicide. The Beatyard and ATN are different propositions, a day festival and a camping festival. Indiependence is quite a young crowd from what I gather and I've also heard it's rough. Castlepalooza is not really a festival where people go to see great bands (to my knowledge anyway). So there's definitely a gap in the market that ATN might fill

As for Beatyard being in Dublin and it being easier for those with kids, not being funny but it's not just people who live in Dublin that want to go festivals! The more variety and choice, the better.

With the amount of electronica on at Beatyard this year I can imagine it could be a bit messy too, a young pilled up crowd but generally mellow enough.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Time for my now annual Iggy shout?

Bring out Underworld to perform their new EP collab as an encore.

Some close to a festival, that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

davew121 wrote: »
    Major roadworks on the N7 after Kill be some mental traffic jams for anyone heading from Dublin on the weekend...

Thoughts and prayers.

(Aka Funkem)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

It appears Massive Attack pulled out of Mad Cool at the last minute last night over noisebleed. Seems a right sh*tshow in terms of organisation despite having a great lineup. Pity.
    https://www.facebook.com/820741104683417/posts/1774739135950271/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Ssh, you'll like whatever you're served up, stop being so Irish about it!

Nobody said you have to like it, but it's a bit like complaining about the weather, it's not going to change it.

• Advertisement

davew121 wrote: »
    Major roadworks on the N7 after Kill be some mental traffic jams for anyone heading from Dublin on the weekend...

Oh no!! Roadworks? How will they cope with a 60km/hour speed limit between junction 9 and junction 10?!! Something must be done. Have you contacted Danny Healy Rae?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Indiependence is quite a young crowd from what I gather and I've also heard it's rough.

Load of bollocks.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Load of bollocks.

Been a few times, but not in 5/6 years now. It was getting rough the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Load of bollocks.

A few years ago a portaloo was pushed over with a girl trapped inside. I've never heard of as many stories of tents being wrecked and pillaged. I'm glad your experiences have been good but that's my anecdotal feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nobody said you have to like it, but it's a bit like complaining about the weather, it's not going to change it.

You don't pay for the weather.

If you are paying for something, you've the right to complain about it. Otherwise 50% of the posts on this thread can be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Indiependence is no rougher than any other Irish festival in my experience.

You get some groups acting up, rarely anything other than a bit of loudmouth 'banter', but I've experienced exactly the same thing at Electric Picnic, Townlands, Longitude and indoor and outdoor gigs up and down the country.

I wouldn't go back to Indiependence as the line-up isn't to my taste and there's literally nothing to do during the day with the music not starting until 5pm, but I wouldn't think it's any better or worse in terms of the crowd than any other Irish festival.

Indiependence is no rougher than any other Irish festival in my experience.

You get some groups acting up, rarely anything other than a bit of loudmouth 'banter', but I've experienced exactly the same thing at Electric Picnic, Townlands, Longitude and indoor and outdoor gigs up and down the country.

I wouldn't go back to Indiependence as the line-up isn't to my taste and there's literally nothing to do during the day with the music not starting until 5pm, but I wouldn't think it's any better or worse in terms of the crowd than any other Irish festival.

In all the years EP has been going I've never heard of someone having to be taken off in an ambulance from being covered in blue goo after a portaloo has been pushed over by some scumbag

everlast75 wrote: »
    You don't pay for the weather.

If you are paying for something, you've the right to complain about it. Otherwise 50% of the posts on this thread can be deleted.

I never said you couldn't complain, just that it makes no difference. So what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Missed the Anachronica announcement on Thursday. Turns out whoever curates that stage is a unionist.

Stage|Date17|Date 18
    Other Voices 1|May 3|July 5
    Trench 1|May 11|June 12
    Food|May 17|May 29
    Transmission|May 19
    Main Stage 2|June 23
    Anachronica|July 12|July 12
    Casa Bacardi|July 18|July 3
    Hazel Wood|July 20
    Body & Soul|July 27
    Other Voices2|July 31
    Comedy|Aug 2
    Electric Ire|Aug 8
    Salty Dog|Aug 9
    Jerry Fish|Aug 10
    Mindfield|Aug 11
    Trailer Park|Aug 17
    Main Stage 3|Aug 17

• Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I never said you couldn't complain, just that it makes no difference. So what's the point.

What's the point of anyone's posts then?

Its a discussion forum.

everlast75 wrote: »
    What's the point of anyone's posts then?

Its a discussion forum.

And here we are discussing the merits of complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Worst EP thread ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

people said the same type of things about Body & Soul when it came along, and despite plenty of people jumping ship and giving up on EP and going to that instead, it hasn't threatened EP at all, which has thrived since then if anything.

I'd see ATN as the same. it's basically a complete rip-off of B&S in every conceivable way from what I've seen.
    there'll always be people who have had a few years at EP and are a bit tired of it and want to try something new.

ATN is 15k to EP's 55k. it won't be a direct competitor to it for several years, and really, that's only if EP let it happen. EP/MCD/Live Nation/Festival Republic could probably crush it if they wanted, as they have the financial muscle and might.
    maybe with the success of Longitude, EP might move further in that direction and appeal to that demographic, leaving ATN to have whatever "alternative" crowd they want.

hopefully ATN thrives, as it's great to have more choices IMO. POD events have form in being a bit ropey in their first years, but hopefully with FF and Metropolis being fairly slick operations now, they won't have any problems at ATN.

I'd say that the other festivals on the August BH (as Blackie_IRL mentioned) are the direct competition to it at the moment. can't see how they can all co-exist, I can imagine Castlepalooza throwing in the towel after this year.

Yeah I agree about Castlepalooza I can see this being their last one, they seem to be pushing hard on social media and even dropping ticket prices and throwing out a load of offers but I can't see it selling well. It's a shame, great little festival IMO but it cannot compete with the likes of ATN, B&S or EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Yeah I agree about Castlepalooza I can see this being their last one, they seem to be pushing hard on social media and even dropping ticket prices and throwing out a load of offers but I can't see it selling well. It's a shame, great little festival IMO but it cannot compete with the likes of ATN, B&S or EP.

I won tickets and went down to it last year. Enjoyed the festival but there really isnt much there and going on especially at night. If I had paid for the tickets I would of been disappointed. Maybe they should take a year off and evaluate especially the drinks policy and layout

In all the years EP has been going I've never heard of someone having to be taken off in an ambulance from being covered in blue goo after a portaloo has been pushed over by some scumbag

Neither have I. But I've seen people pushed, shouted at, heckled, had beer thrown over crowds and god knows what else at Electric Picnic.

Every festival has some bad eggs in the crowd.

One incident at Indiependence doesn't designate it a rough festival in my opinion. I've seen far worse at one off gigs in the 3Arena, for e.g. That doesn't make me think it's always a rough venue, just that one prick was being a prick. Same for Indie. That situation is appalling but isn't necessarily reflective of the entire crowd.

Tbh, EP is hardly a bastion of peace and goodwill either. The campsites have rafts of people drinking, making noise and I've known people to have chairs, drink etc stolen from them. That's pretty scummy behaviour. Is it a scummy festival?

• Advertisement

Neither have I. But I've seen people pushed, shouted at, heckled, had beer thrown over crowds and god knows what else at Electric Picnic.

Every festival has some bad eggs in the crowd.

One incident at Indiependence doesn't designate it a rough festival in my opinion. I've seen far worse at one off gigs in the 3Arena, for e.g. That doesn't make me think it's always a rough venue, just that one prick was being a prick. Same for Indie. That situation is appalling but isn't necessarily reflective of the entire crowd.

Tbh, EP is hardly a bastion of peace and goodwill either. The campsites have rafts of people drinking, making noise and I've known people to have chairs, drink etc stolen from them. That's pretty scummy behaviour. Is it a scummy festival?

There's a strong scummer element at EP, certainly in the Jimi Hendrix campsite (which is why I would never camp there again) but at a festival the size of EP it's easier to avoid them, just stay away from Cocktail Cocktail and the like.

However, I'd imagine that at a smaller festival like Indie it might not be so easy. Anyway, it's great you've had no bad experiences but I'm only going by what I've read on threads here and what friends who've been have told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Oxegen was the festival famous for tent burnings. EP is the festival you hear most frequently about for car break-ins. They all have their niches. None are perfect, and one dubious anecdote you heard from a friend of a friend isn't going to swing it for or against Indiependence.

There's a strong scummer element at EP, certainly in the Jimi Hendrix campsite (which is why I would never camp there again) but at a festival the size of EP it's easier to avoid them, just stay away from Cocktail Cocktail and the like.

However, I'd imagine that at a smaller festival like Indie it might not be so easy. Anyway, it's great you've had no bad experiences but I'm only going by what I've read on threads here and what friends who've been have told me.

At 10,000 with 3/4 stages and distinct areas, Indiependence is pretty easy to skip the scummy element too.

Anyway, I've no horse in this race - like I said, I won't be returning to Indiependence! - I just think there's very little difference in any Irish crowd that I have experienced. Largely lovely, always a bad egg somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MusicLover8498

Long time reader of the thread, second time posting! Been making a playlist for the festival, did a similar one last year so thought I'd share again as it proved popular :)https://open.spotify.com/user/1187290569/playlist/5u4Z1p5mEy8uvtF48xCCvL?si=UmQ8pMF6Sf6IbQ5scsG0wA Aimed to have at least 5 songs from each artist but obviously couldn't fulfill that with smaller acts and those not on spotify but 512 songs of what EP has to offer so far, I'll be updating it too with each lineup announcement to follow (that's if we actually get one, next Friday me thinks :) ) Happy Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I see massive attack cancelled there performance at mad cool in madrid complaining of the noise bleed from a stage where franz Ferdinand would have been on the same time

At 10,000 with 3/4 stages and distinct areas, Indiependence is pretty easy to skip the scummy element too.

Anyway, I've no horse in this race - like I said, I won't be returning to Indiependence! - I just think there's very little difference in any Irish crowd that I have experienced. Largely lovely, always a bad egg somewhere though.

Me either! Couldn't care less if it's rough or not, the main point I was making is that there is room for ATN, despite all those other festivals the same weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Best friend is in Spain now with his Mrs for his 50th. She's just told him they are going to his first picnic. Been trying to get him to go for years.

Like a kid on Christmas morning here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Reading about Mad Cool and it seems Tame Impala were brilliant, I know they were at EP 2 years ago but if love to see them there again, they seem to be at their peak right now and would probably blow EP away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Poorside wrote: »
    Reading about Mad Cool and it seems Tame Impala were brilliant, I know they were at EP 2 years ago but if love to see them there again, they seem to be at their peak right now and would probably blow EP away.

They were brilliant three years ago. I’d be delighted if they were added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Rfrip wrote: »
    They were brilliant three years ago. I’d be delighted if they were added.

Was it 3 years ago??
    Time is right for a return so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement