Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

They're one of the best bands in the world at the moment IMO, incredible live and released a pair of classic albums in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they were brilliant subbing Adele on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury a couple of years ago too. well able for a big outdoor stage.

These gigs at the moment seem to be fairly once-off things. a few this weekend, and a few over a weekend in the US in October, and that's it AFAIK. probably just to keep the money coming in.can't see them at EP this year.

wouldn't be surprised if they're headlining next year, assuming the new album is out by then and does pretty well. Parker seems to be working with several pop acts for their own songs recently, so I'd imagine the TI album will have a mainstream sound, similar to the last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If NERD are a headliner then Tame Impala are definitely a headliner. Maybe next year once the album is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I really enjoyed Tame Impala when they played the EA a few years back, they're the ultimate festival band.

Got a space in the BYEco camp site, I was well late and with relative ease. Has the capacity been increased?

MadYaker wrote: »
    If NERD are a headliner then Tame Impala are definitely a headliner. Maybe next year once the album is out.

Dunno about that. It's been a good couple of years for TI but they haven't been going very long, and in terms of sales, cache of the name etc. they're not really there. They could certainly headline small or mid size festivals like Forbidden Fruit or Longitude (before it became a guide to what 16 year olds like) but EP would want to be feeling very secure in their position to make TI a headliner, there's no doubt there would be a backlash. NERD are headliners more than anything because Pharrell at least is world famous, and the Neptunes also make up the core (or, being honest, only useful part of the group). They have, theoretically, an incredible discography of songs to pull from for their set (they won't, presumably to avoid NERD weakening itself to primarily covers, but they tend to do a medley or two of songs from Pharrell/the Neptunes career highlights) that would satisfy the precepts of a headline performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Dunno about that. It's been a good couple of years for TI but they haven't been going very long, and in terms of sales, cache of the name etc. they're not really there. They could certainly headline small or mid size festivals like Forbidden Fruit or Longitude (before it became a guide to what 16 year olds like) but EP would want to be feeling very secure in their position to make TI a headliner, there's no doubt there would be a backlash. NERD are headliners more than anything because Pharrell at least is world famous, and the Neptunes also make up the core (or, being honest, only useful part of the group). They have, theoretically, an incredible discography of songs to pull from for their set (they won't, presumably to avoid NERD weakening itself to primarily covers, but they tend to do a medley or two of songs from Pharrell/the Neptunes career highlights) that would satisfy the precepts of a headline performance.

They’re together about 11 years, first album was 8 years ago, maybe not a huge back catalogue but it’s quality stuff, they’d be brilliant for the Friday night headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If you can sub-headline Glastonbury you can probably headline EP. Last years subs were The XX, Biffy Clyro and The National. Two of which have already headlined EP.

Tame Impala are on the verge of a Glasto headline slot. Each of the three albums has greatly outsold the last and you'd expect even bigger things of the next. I'd wager last act on the pyramid Friday night in 2019 or 2020.

Poorside wrote: »
    They’re together about 11 years, first album was 8 years ago, maybe not a huge back catalogue but it’s quality stuff, they’d be brilliant for the Friday night headline.

Arctic Monkeys and Ash headlined after their debuts, The Killers after two and Muse after three. Arguably Tame Impala have a sufficient back catalogue and more to come next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Yeah it's harder to judge what would make an act a suitable headliner. Years ago it was just sales alone, it's probably Spotify ranking and Instagram followers now. (Festivals in general not necessarily EP) For my money Tame Impala could pull it off now certainly if a new album does well next year.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    If you can sub-headline Glastonbury you can probably headline EP. Last years subs were The XX, Biffy Clyro and The National. Two of which have already headlined EP.

Tame Impala are on the verge of a Glasto headline slot. Each of the three albums has greatly outsold the last and you'd expect even bigger things of the next. I'd wager last act on the pyramid Friday night in 2019 or 2020.

Tame Impala won't be headlining Glastonbury unless they make more of an impression commercially with their next album, it's not like the National or Biffy Clyro are on the verge of headlining. Just because they've been subs doesn't mean the next step is naturally headliner.

And clarify who you meant were the second of the three above you claim headlined EP before? The xx have, the other 2 definitely haven't. But I'm sure you knew that already, just sneaking in a little misinformation to strengthen the argument.

• Advertisement

Tame Impala won't be headlining Glastonbury unless they make more of an impression commercially with their next album, it's not like the National or Biffy Clyro are on the verge of headlining. Just because they've been subs doesn't mean the next step is naturally headliner.

And clarify who you meant were the second of the three above you claim headlined EP before? The xx have, the other 2 definitely haven't. But I'm sure you knew that already, just sneaking in a little misinformation to strengthen the argument.

Apologies. No deliberate misinformation. I'd thought The National headlined in 2010 but they'd subbed for Massive Attack.

And re Tame Impala, they have momentum, each album selling greatly more than the last. It would be hugely surprising not to see this trend continue, particularly given that Parker is working with Kanye West at the moment which will raise his profile even further. But I think they're already more than ready to headline EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I feel like Tame Impala are in a bracket with Foals, Alt-J, the National and a few others - maybe the War on Drugs? - where headlining festivals like EP is the natural next step but it'd probably raise an eyebrow from a few people.

There's been some good discussion on this over the years but festivals have to start gambling a bit on acts like them be headline level as there's just not too many at that level touring regularly.

As we've seen with many European festivals this summer, there's an awful lot of repetition among top tier acts, either in terms of acts who headlined in recent years or those headlining multiple festivals in a country (say Arctic Monkeys being among the top acts at both Mad Cool and Primavera in Spain, for e.g.).

Unless the next generation of headline acts are normalised by festivals putting them on the top of posters in the next few years, bills will just start to look very stale before long.

Interestingly, the indie/rock sphere seems more reluctant to throw acts up that far than other areas. Longitude is one of many festivals that has pop, hip-hop and R&B acts headlining and the demand is pretty clear (let's not get into an argument about if its good or bad, just simply stating that it sold well with relative new acts on the top few lines) and EP has done the same with Lana del Ray, Kendrick (tbf, the whole world is on that one!) and others in the last few years.

It could be Tame Impala, it could be the National, Alt-J, Bon Iver or another act I'm not thinking of it, but there needs to be some movement at the top. To reference Primavera again, the National and Bon Iver have both been headline acts there the last two years and they were not lacking. Big crowds at both.

I wonder would EP be likely to go with, say, Tame Impala and two more established headline acts next year? Or one big name and two or three new top liners. Like, for e.g., Gorillaz or Radiohead headlining with Tame Impala, Childish Gambino and Alt-J also among the big names over a weekend.

Again, not a suggestion about who is good, bad or otherwise, just that there needs to be some change or we'll all be back to watch Massive Attack, the Chemical Brothers and Arcade Fire for the third or fourth time in a few years!!

I feel like Tame Impala are in a bracket with Foals, Alt-J, the National and a few others - maybe the War on Drugs? - where headlining festivals like EP is the natural next step but it'd probably raise an eyebrow from a few people.

There's been some good discussion on this over the years but festivals have to start gambling a bit on acts like them be headline level as there's just not too many at that level touring regularly.

As we've seen with many European festivals this summer, there's an awful lot of repetition among top tier acts, either in terms of acts who headlined in recent years or those headlining multiple festivals in a country (say Arctic Monkeys being among the top acts at both Mad Cool and Primavera in Spain, for e.g.).

Unless the next generation of headline acts are normalised by festivals putting them on the top of posters in the next few years, bills will just start to look very stale before long.

Interestingly, the indie/rock sphere seems more reluctant to throw acts up that far than other areas. Longitude is one of many festivals that has pop, hip-hop and R&B acts headlining and the demand is pretty clear (let's not get into an argument about if its good or bad, just simply stating that it sold well with relative new acts on the top few lines) and EP has done the same with Lana del Ray, Kendrick (tbf, the whole world is on that one!) and others in the last few years.

It could be Tame Impala, it could be the National, Alt-J, Bon Iver or another act I'm not thinking of it, but there needs to be some movement at the top. To reference Primavera again, the National and Bon Iver have both been headline acts there the last two years and they were not lacking. Big crowds at both.

I wonder would EP be likely to go with, say, Tame Impala and two more established headline acts next year? Or one big name and two or three new top liners. Like, for e.g., Gorillaz or Radiohead headlining with Tame Impala, Childish Gambino and Alt-J also among the big names over a weekend.

Again, not a suggestion about who is good, bad or otherwise, just that there needs to be some change or we'll all be back to watch Massive Attack, the Chemical Brothers and Arcade Fire for the third or fourth time in a few years!!

They've been having this debate in the UK for some time and I'm utterly with you on it. The last five years has seen a few new acts take headliner slots at fests (Foals, Florence, The XX) but not nearly enough and it's time to promote some new acts at the top of the bill. Alt-J are headlining Latitude tonight, I saw them do the same at Pohoda in Slovakia last year and they can do the same at EP. There are some others on the verge but not all that many and you seem to have mentioned them all. Any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It's hard to know as I'd imagine we've all probably seen bands that looked set for headline status who didn't make it or didn't stick it out.

Of the current crop of those mid tier, upper tier acts, you'd imagine Wolf Alice, London Grammar, St Vincent, Run the Jewels, the War on Drugs, Christine & the Queens, Chance the Rapper, Father John Misty, Future Islands, Glass Animals and Young Fathers would all likely be regular features on the festival calendar for the foreseeable future.

If they record again, M83? Someone like King Krule as an outside shot? Stormzy seems a cert having already done smaller festivals and, if she sticks to music instead of acting, Janelle Monae.

Some of these may not be big enough in Ireland to headline EP but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them doing well in European, UK and American festivals in the coming years.

Here, surely Hozier if his second album is any way successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tame Impala have headlined before but not the main stage, the second biggest stage, the Electric Arena on Sunday night 2015, well, they were the last act there clashing with Florence and the Machine on the main stage. I always thought that acts who topped the bill in the marquees too were also headliners, so its the main stage folk who are termed 'headliner headliners.'

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Foals have a big success rate in Ireland, moreso than most festival mainstays so it's fair enough to say they're potential headliners now, even when if most people have seen them now. With Tame Impala or War on Drugs for instance their success is more recent, their impact less obvious and their presence hasn't been felt around the Irish music scene to anywhere near the same extent. EP has been picking either heritage acts (some of whom were modern acts 10 years ago) or current stars since they started. They tend not to go with up and comers for headliners unlike other Irish festivals (Stormzy and Hozier within 2 years of each other at Longitude, both very recent successes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

And, Tame Impala have Confetti canons, so there’s that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Poorside wrote: »
    And, Tame Impala have Confetti canons, so there’s that.

Aw they do!! You just brought it all back to me there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

With the likes of Alt J and Foals I think a lot hinges on the next album, if they put out a good album that elevates their profile then i think they'll be headlining more fests. Foals last album was ok but I thought Alt J's was dissapointing. I've seen Foals once and Alt J a few times now (most recently in May) and they are both good. Foals are a bit more energetic live and seem more like headliners already to me. I think Tame impala are worthy headliners already though. Somone above said it would raise eyebrows, hardly more controversial than Chaka Khan and Duran Duran... or NERD for that matter.

The more I look at this years poster the more I think there wasn't much cash to go around after Kendrick. Maybe we won't be getting a second announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Maybe we won't be getting a second announcement.

?

• Advertisement

With the likes of Alt J and Foals I think a lot hinges on the next album, if they put out a good album that elevates their profile then i think they'll be headlining more fests. Foals last album was ok but I thought Alt J's was dissapointing. I've seen Foals once and Alt J a few times now (most recently in May) and they are both good. Foals are a bit more energetic live and seem more like headliners already to me. I think Tame impala are worthy headliners already though. Somone above said it would raise eyebrows, hardly more controversial than Chaka Khan and Duran Duran... or NERD for that matter.

The more I look at this years poster the more I think there wasn't much cash to go around after Kendrick. Maybe we won't be getting a second announcement.

We will get another announcement so far we have around 40 acts for the main arena.......they will have to have around 80 acts to fill up 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

It literally says on the poster that there's more to be announced.

Yeah that's a mad statement. The music wouldn't start til 7 in that case. Or would finish then

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Davydeath

Todays the day. i can feel it in my bones ...... or tomorrow...... possibly tomorrow... or.......

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

great start to the week if they made it today! god iv a sad life checking this every day :)

JUST ANNOUNCE!!!

A mix of who I'd like and what I reckon.
    Paul Weller
    John Grant
    Sleaford Mods (pretty certain unless they pulled out)
    Gaz Coombes
    James
    The Charlatans
    Sleeper
    The Bluetones
    Jon Hopkins
    Green Velvet
    Action Bronson
    Jackmaster
    Paddy Hanna
    The Oreillies
    Shame
    Pillow Queens
    Dream Wife
    Young Wonder
    Nadine Shah
    Boy Azooga
    And probably Gavin James or Hozier.

If we get some of these that would be alright with me

melvin benn has said their will be one or two more big acts, take that as you will

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just looking through a few tweets on twitter about Electric Picnic, Sleaford Mods replied to someone yesterday saying they don't think they are playing at EP this year, strange considering they were on one of the early posters. Makes no difference to me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

haitens wrote: »
    A mix of who I'd like and what I reckon.
    Paul Weller
    John Grant
    Sleaford Mods (pretty certain unless they pulled out)
    Gaz Coombes
    James
    The Charlatans
    Sleeper
    The Bluetones
    Jon Hopkins
    Green Velvet
    Action Bronson
    Jackmaster
    Paddy Hanna
    The Oreillies
    Shame
    Pillow Queens
    Dream Wife
    Young Wonder
    Nadine Shah
    Boy Azooga
    And probably Gavin James or Hozier.

If we get some of these that would be alright with me

Gavin James is very likely. He's playing Friday AFAIK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement