Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

tonto123 wrote: »
    melvin benn has said their will be one or two more big acts, take that as you will

Sauce pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

tonto123 wrote: »
    melvin benn has said their will be one or two more big acts, take that as you will

Second person that's said this...makes me feel like it's going to be ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

video on line straight from the horses mouth im not good enough on computers to share onto this... it was him speaking at the announcement of first round of acts back in march... his exact words were "one or two more big acts to be announced"....... this was to be expected tho anyways sure we need a couple of biggish names to fill subheadline slots at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 11 namejeff128

I've heard rumblings about Kasabian too

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

ye saying one or two worries me... because they overhype the ****ty acts as it is.. ah well we live in hope.. cant believe another day gone... really is crazy having a 3 day festival for 55,000 people in 6 weeks and not even half the acts are announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Would love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

haitens wrote: »
    A mix of who I'd like and what I reckon.
    Paul Weller
    John Grant
    Sleaford Mods (pretty certain unless they pulled out)
    Gaz Coombes
    James
    The Charlatans
    Sleeper
    The Bluetones
    Jon Hopkins
    Green Velvet
    Action Bronson
    Jackmaster
    Paddy Hanna
    The Oreillies
    Shame
    Pillow Queens
    Dream Wife
    Young Wonder
    Nadine Shah
    Boy Azooga
    And probably Gavin James or Hozier.

If we get some of these that would be alright with me

Sleaford mods aren't going to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That rumour crops up every year. They seem perfect for a festival slot really.

When did they last play Ireland?

Album last year was rubbish but they're a very good live band and have 2/3 good albums under their belts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Gavin James is a certainty. He's playing Friday. Source: I know him.

Please please please tell me that’s not true. Because they 100% will have him in as a sub headliner and his music makes me want to break my car radio, then crash the car and punch the first person who tries to come help me.

Maybe a bit dramatic but my god his music is awful.

May as well get kodaline and the Coronas and give in to the numbing masses

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

Album last year was rubbish but they're a very good live band and have 2/3 good albums under their belts too.

Think they played a small gig in the Olympia earlier on this year but could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Gavin James is a certainty.
    He's playing Friday. Source: I know him.

Ask him who else is playing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 namejeff128

Last played Ireland last year, are playing A LOT of European festivals this year and are in Belfast on the 20th of August with nothing till september 20th then

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

declanleo wrote: »
    Sleaford mods aren't going to be there

Was certain they'd be playing a few on here said they were on the original poster...cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

kg703 wrote: »
    Please please please tell me that’s not true. Because they 100% will have him in as a sub headliner and his music makes me want to break my car radio, then crash the car and punch the first person who tries to come help me.

Maybe a bit dramatic but my god his music is awful.

May as well get kodaline and the Coronas and give in to the numbing masses

haha nearly spit out a mouthful of tea all over my desk reading this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Kasabian are bigger than Massive Attack and NERD.
    no chance they're playing, unless one of them is getting demoted from headliner, which I seriously doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

All the whispers seem to be pointing to another big act or two then, a friend of mine said all week during the radio some presenter was saying there is another headliner to come?! Not sure what channel. A guitar band is definitely missing from the top section so someone like Kasabian or Alt J would make sense and seem to be around for EP weekend. I reckon we will also definitely get some kind of Irish act like Hozier, Coronas, Picture This or Kodaline.. Still holding out for the Prodigy too as they would tick the boxes for both a dance act and a retro act at this stage! Playing in Italy the weekend of EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Stillill42

This has to stop now. Look what we've been reduced to. Feverish, rambling speculation and not even the good kind, the Depeche Mode, Arcade fire type stuff, we're running around bumping into each other muttering 'Gavin James' or 'Kasabian' like people who've never been to a gig before. For pitys sake make an announcement before somebody hurts themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

They just put up a stupid post about checking out the new release from the already announced acts

It’s giving me the actual rage at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Rfrip wrote: »
    They just put up a stupid post about checking out the new release from the already announced acts

Close your eyes and think of the sun shining on the Friday morning as you relax after pitching your tent, with the first can of the festival in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Close your eyes and think of the sun shining on the Friday morning as you relax after pitching your tent, with the first can of the festival in your hand

quagmire-giggity-gif-1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Rfrip wrote: »

They're doing it on purpose, enrage people to the point where they are happy with any announcements, regardless of quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

On Gavin James, he's performing at the Trinity College concert series at the end of next week (the 28th I think). Guessing it isn't sold out judging by the regularish ads I'm seeing on social media so wouldn't be surprised if he isn't included in an announcement until after that point.

Might be one before then without him rather than them holding off on an announcement for him, mind.

He got a decent sized crowd at Coachella I believe and is a big hit on Irish radio - would make sense that he could be who Eoghan McDermott was talking about? Might not be considered a big act by lots of us but McDermott's listenership may disagree with that and be keen on Gavin James.

Or, as others say, we've all just gone totally f*cking mad at the lack of announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hope you pointed and laughed loudly at whoever told you that. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-2018-line-up-revealed-1.3428207

No mention of any big acts to come as posted by someone earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I feel like Tame Impala are in a bracket with Foals, Alt-J, the National and a few others - maybe the War on Drugs? - where headlining festivals like EP is the natural next step but it'd probably raise an eyebrow from a few people.

There's been some good discussion on this over the years but festivals have to start gambling a bit on acts like them be headline level as there's just not too many at that level touring regularly.

As we've seen with many European festivals this summer, there's an awful lot of repetition among top tier acts, either in terms of acts who headlined in recent years or those headlining multiple festivals in a country (say Arctic Monkeys being among the top acts at both Mad Cool and Primavera in Spain, for e.g.).

Unless the next generation of headline acts are normalised by festivals putting them on the top of posters in the next few years, bills will just start to look very stale before long.

Interestingly, the indie/rock sphere seems more reluctant to throw acts up that far than other areas. Longitude is one of many festivals that has pop, hip-hop and R&B acts headlining and the demand is pretty clear (let's not get into an argument about if its good or bad, just simply stating that it sold well with relative new acts on the top few lines) and EP has done the same with Lana del Ray, Kendrick (tbf, the whole world is on that one!) and others in the last few years.

It could be Tame Impala, it could be the National, Alt-J, Bon Iver or another act I'm not thinking of it, but there needs to be some movement at the top. To reference Primavera again, the National and Bon Iver have both been headline acts there the last two years and they were not lacking. Big crowds at both.

I wonder would EP be likely to go with, say, Tame Impala and two more established headline acts next year? Or one big name and two or three new top liners. Like, for e.g., Gorillaz or Radiohead headlining with Tame Impala, Childish Gambino and Alt-J also among the big names over a weekend.

Again, not a suggestion about who is good, bad or otherwise, just that there needs to be some change or we'll all be back to watch Massive Attack, the Chemical Brothers and Arcade Fire for the third or fourth time in a few years!!

I would love the former scenario {one big-name + three new headliner sorts}.

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think Tame impala are worthy headliners already though. Somone above said it would raise eyebrows, hardly more controversial than Chaka Khan and Duran Duran... or NERD for that matter.

Would be a bit hollow I think. They were subs (or lower?) in 2015, then played Forbidden Fruit in 2016 touring the same album and haven't released anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Thanks for the support compadre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Just looking through a few tweets on twitter about Electric Picnic, Sleaford Mods replied to someone yesterday saying they don't think they are playing at EP this year, strange considering they were on one of the early posters. Makes no difference to me personally.

I asked Shame earlier this year if they were playing and they said no also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

maximoose wrote: »
    Would be a bit hollow I think. They were subs (or lower?) in 2015, then played Forbidden Fruit in 2016 touring the same album and haven't released anything since

What are you talking about they headlined the biggest marquee.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

maximoose wrote: »

Closed the Electric Arena in 2015. Headlined the Pitchfork fest in March and Citadel in London yesterday. Sub-headliners at Mad Cool. I'd have them as headliners at EP right now but I understand why others see it as a risk. However, if the next album continues their momentum then they'll be headlining everywhere in the next couple of years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement