Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Also heard Gavin James new single on the radio, vomit inducing, as the Proclaimers say I would walk 500 miles from the phucking stage Gavin James is playing on.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Also check out Attention Bebe who are excellent, the Haunt venue is worth seeing in the Body & Soul Village.

Loved it last year. And it seems deliberately placed to block off some of the noise bleed from E-Lites and the Heineken whatchamacallit. Great tunes too.

Utterly wild theory caused by Black Russian #3 and too much sun

Could they have snagged some one large but are leaving it to absolute last min to announce to prevent touting going through the roof

Or to screw last-minute ticket sales for ATN as we speculated last week? And the week before. And now this week. And likely next week until they say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Loved it last year. And it seems deliberately placed to block off some of the noise bleed from E-Lites and the Heineken whatchamacallit. Great tunes too.

Great little spot but can’t see it on the app this year.

Franz Ferdinand have a Sunday shaped hole in their tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Franz ferdinand could be a good shout.

• Advertisement

Poorside wrote: »

Thank Fcuk that they are not clashing with Massive Attack, might get another MA cancellation ha ha. Wait a minute, they not even been announced yet. I suppose a visit is due, I think the last time they played was 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Thank Fcuk that they are not clashing with Massive Attack, might get another MA cancellation ha ha. Wait a minute, they not even been announced yet. I suppose a visit is due, I think the last time they played was 2008.
    No, weren't they on before Arctic Monkeys 2012 or whenever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Normally see the most kids on the Sunday, shiny happy faces of the day tickets are fairly easy to spot.

and their clean clothes and clean hair and hopeful faces.
    Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Never caught them at EP though reading about their shows for years. The online stuff is good but there's obviously something about the live shows that sets them apart. What is it?

With KKC it's the craic. The lads know their audience so well and there's always a brilliant atmosphere at their shows, everyone dancing and screaming the words to the songs. I've seen them during the day and at night and at a couple of their own shows and it's always the same, rubbing in the commotion lotion and chasing blue ghosts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

erica74 wrote: »
    and their clean clothes and clean hair and hopeful faces.

With KKC it's the craic. The lads know their audience so well and there's always a brilliant atmosphere at their shows, everyone dancing and screaming the words to the songs. I've seen them during the day and at night and at a couple of their own shows and it's always the same, rubbing in the commotion lotion and chasing blue ghosts:D

**** Pete Tong it's all gone King Kong ðŸ¦

• Registered Users Posts: 11 namejeff128

Have it on good authority that Tebi Rex are playing also, great irish hip hop duo

• Advertisement

Caught the very impressive Seamus Fogarty at the Róisín earlier tonight. Chatted with him briefly afterwards and completely forgot to ask about EP. Doh!

But he's doing Castlepolooza, Larmer Tree, Green Man and some other fests in Germany so it'd be surprising if the Picnic didn't book him. The guy is on the up, the Guardian & Hot Press love him and The Curious Hand was 84/100 in Metacritic. Maybe my fave album of 2017. My recommendation for 2018 if he makes it to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Unless I'm dreaming, I've just read that the Frames are playing Ballintubbert in September? I'd LOVE to see them in Stradbally.

mgkelly wrote: »
    If it's Ed (or Ted, as I call him in our house), I'll cry. If, however, Mr. James were to appear, I might wet me pants!

It depends what James though ha ha.

It depends what James though ha ha.

David Butterfingers James please. If Steve Davis can be a prominent DJ then the doors are open....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

Could they have snagged some one large but are leaving it to absolute last min to announce to prevent touting going through the roof

Like Daft Punk? You've heard Daft Punk are playing, haven't you?!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Coz wrote: »
    Like Daft Punk? You've heard Daft Punk are playing, haven't you?!!!??

Yes, they’re playing in my pants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Yes, they’re playing in my pants

Your pants are in my house?

I fear another awkward conversation with the wife is imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Have we had any form of announcement this week. At this stage we should be getting at least 1 if not 2 per week with all that's left to reveal. There is still a significant amount left to announce with 6 weeks to go:

Main announcement 2 + 3
    Jerry Fish
    Body and Soul
    Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Mindfield
    Hazel Wood
    Other Voices (Only made a partial announcement)
    Salty Dog
    Heineken + Orchard Thieves + Eat Retreat + Red Bull

No doubt I've missed some stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Have we had any form of announcement this week. At this stage we should be getting at least 1 if not 2 per week with all that's left to reveal. There is still a significant amount left to announce with 6 weeks to go:

Main announcement 2 + 3
    Jerry Fish
    Body and Soul
    Trailer Park
    Comedy
    Mindfield
    Hazel Wood
    Other Voices (Only made a partial announcement)
    Salty Dog
    Heineken + Orchard Thieves + Eat Retreat + Red Bull

No doubt I've missed some stuff too

I think it can be accepted that were only getting one big announcement for the main arena.

Comedy is usually in August too, the others may be under orders to keep hush for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Yer man Eoghan McDermott was on yesterday (again) about a "headliner still to be announced" that will make a lot of people happy. Someone text in to complain about the lack of news from EP and asked had he any info. So its probably Kodaline.😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

While I remain hopeful, I have given up on expecting any major announcements this side of ATN and even then I don't think we will bowled over by whatever is announced.  The perceived wisdom is that they blew the budget on Kendrick which, if true, was a big mistake in my view.  I would much prefer that they put on a larger number of decent midsize acts over the whole weekend rather than one big name.  It feels like EP is facing into a major crossroads - if they don't bulk out the lineup with a decent announcement I honestly believe they will lose a large chunk of their following next year and people certainly won't be snapping tickets up until they see the lineup.  Of course, we could all be pleasantly surprised but the longer the delay, the less likely that is.

ricerocket wrote: »
    While I remain hopeful, I have given up on expecting any major announcements this side of ATN and even then I don't think we will bowled over by whatever is announced.  The perceived wisdom is that they blew the budget on Kendrick which, if true, was a big mistake in my view.  I would much prefer that they put on a larger number of decent midsize acts over the whole weekend rather than one big name.  It feels like EP is facing into a major crossroads - if they don't bulk out the lineup with a decent announcement I honestly believe they will lose a large chunk of their following next year and people certainly won't be snapping tickets up until they see the lineup.  Of course, we could all be pleasantly surprised but the longer the delay, the less likely that is.

They would have spent no more on KL than LCD IMO. It will be a significant amount but no more than the going rate. Duran Duran fwiw weren't cheap either and it didn't prevent FR building a decent line-up around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Kenrick probably cost them at least 500K or about 8% of ticket sales

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

ricerocket wrote: »

I'd agree about the festival being at a big cross roads, I think by delaying this announcement so much they are really running the risk of majorly disappointing a lot of people who have been going for years. For example, if they do have another "headliner" in store as Eoghan McDermott says and it turns out to be Kodaline or Picture This it is really going to rub salt into the wounds of a lot of posters here having dragged it out for so long and then to be such a disappointment as well.

I know we had the debate before, but with All Together Now coming along as well it could end up being an alternative to EP for some of the older crowd (definitely seems to be who they are trying to target). Having said all of this, we could end up getting a great announcement still to come and come September we will have long forgotten about this delay! It's the hope that kills you..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Kenrick probably cost them at least 500K or about 8% of ticket sales

He didn't.

I've been told that ATN ticket sales are not what was expected which was a sell out. They still have plenty left to shift. They sunk a lot of cash into the lineup and when ticket sales were slow they sunk more into getting the Afterburner. Making a loss on their opening year would put a big question mark over the festival returning. A lot of people here are making assumptions that ATN will be a thorn in EPs side for years to come. That's a massive leap.

He didn't.

He cost them significantly more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

"at least" being the main part of that, try multiples of 500k :pac:

Reading & Leeds paid several million for him to headline, according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

He didn't.

What did he cost then? His going rate is up to $1 million. 3 Arena gig with 13,000 at a sell out was 60 - 100 euro per ticket. Took in over €1 million. He easily got half of that...

• Advertisement

What did he cost then? His going rate is up to $1 million. 3 Arena gig with 13,000 at a sell out was 60 - 100 euro per ticket. Took in over €1 million. He easily got half of that...

A million bucks is the rumour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement