Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 namejeff128

Ah while I agree that this year is definitely not as much to my taste, I don't think there is that much of a drop in quality of that section.. But this year is crying out for some sub headliners surely.

My god when you put it like that the line up for this year actually looks paltry, hoping for some come back with the second round announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

s8n wrote: »
    Childish Gambino ?

was amazing at Bilbao BBK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I've a ticket for ATN now and I'll probably go to the picnic as well but I wouldn't personally think ATN has a better line up.
    KL, Massive Attack, NERD > Fleet Foxes, Underworld, Chaka Khan.

EP's undercard is also better in my opinion with another announcement to come. I know it's all down to opinions but EP seems a better line up already. Saying that ATN is in it's first year, better weekend, allowing drink into the arena so it has plenty going for it. I'm looking forward to both.

I think that, particularly because of the weekend it's on, ATN are going to carve themselves a little niche in the market - parents who normally go to EP but end up regretting it when they've to get the children back to school the following day.
    For me, ATN, if it does well this year and there's no guarantee of that, will do better next year off the back of people being so pissed off over EP this year and the free flow booze policy.
    I have a few friends who just barely scrape together their ticket money for EP and bring all their own booze and then basically spend each day trying to sneak it into the main arena.
    I think another factor will be if the weather for ATN is scorching and the weather for EP is shite, I think that'll encourage a lot more to jump to ATN - obviously weather isn't predictable but I'm talking in terms of people considering the factors I mention - the weekend ATN is on, free flow booze and great weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

Think I need to replace my F5 key.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

King Kong Company just released a new track... It's different. I like it. #5wordreview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Mucker46

James and the Charlatans have announced joint tour of UK in December would take either or preferably both for EP. Here's hoping we get some news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

That Probably track is a mess. Howlett has it far too easy with Russians lapping up this level of pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Davydeath

NEWS *from the website*
    10 OF MASSIVE ATTACKS BIGGEST TRACKS
    19TH JULY 2018
    If you’ve got your tickets for this year’s Electric Picnic, you’ll know the line up is bigger and better than ever.

BIGGER AND BETTER THAN EVER - ???????

i swear if i see Benn here this year hes gettin fukin headbutted

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

BadTurtle wrote: »
    That new Prodigy song is great, best thing they've done in a long time. Thought the last two albums were dreadful by and large (Invaders Must Die and Run with the Wolves weren't bad, but stuff like Omen, Thunder, Ibiza (possibly the worst thing they've ever done) were just woeful, reactionary attempts at capturing the EDM market while doubling down on things they'd done before but better. Hopefully the new album is a course correction.

Totally agree, heard Ed Smith play it last night, loved it and thought straight away it must be Prodigy!
    I'd say they're a dead cert for next announcement!
    Album out Nov 2nd, so it'd be a nice teaser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

He played EP in 2011, I was working between the Crawdaddy and Little Big Tent, it was my first year doing the volunteering, I enjoyed what I heard emitting from the Little Big Tent.

Saw him there in 2011, it was incredible. Would love to see him back.

Or :
    Infected Mushroom
    Sasha Funke
    AKA AKA
    Alexander Popov
    Talamasca
    Ten Walls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mucker46 wrote: »
    James and the Charlatans have announced joint tour of UK in December would take either or preferably both for EP. Here's hoping we get some news today.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

better hope Massive Attack don't pass the Logic stage or Cocktail Cocktail on their way to the main stage:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/07/16/inenglish/1531739617_522079.html
    It was around 1.30am on Friday, the second night of Mad Cool, when Robert Del Naja and Grant “Daddy G” Marshall – members of the British group Massive Attack – approached The Loop stage at the festival, where they were due to play 15 minutes later. But on hearing the sound of Franz Ferdinand coming from the opposite stage, they decided they would not be going out to play.

It was just another incident of many to befall this year’s edition of Mad Cool, which also saw huge problems on the first night, Thursday, for festival-goers trying to get into the venue, as well as general overcrowding at the bars and food stalls.

Around 25,000 attendees of Mad Cool were waiting to hear Massive Attack, given that they were one of the biggest names to appear at this year’s edition of the festival. But the band would not be persuaded. “The sound coming from Franz Ferdinand is a problem,” they said. And with that they returned to their dressing room.

According to the director of the Mad Cool festival, Javier Arnaiz, Massive Attack were “very reluctant” to play from the start, and none of the alternatives they were offered made any difference. “They were really out of shape right from the morning, because we did everything possible to put the concert on,” Arnaiz tells EL PAÍS. “There was a huge amount of people waiting and it was a complete lack of respect toward everyone,” he adds. “We couldn’t leave 25,000 fans in the lurch with their mouths watering.”

The first option was to convince the group that the sound wasn’t as troublesome as they were claiming. The band had already requested in their contracts that there was no bleed over of sound from other stages when they played. “The problem is that no one thought that the sound would bleed any more than it typically does at any festival,” Arnaiz explains. “It happens all the time at festivals, and the technicians have it under control.” The Mad Cool director adds that they were the only band that complained about the sound from the other stage.

But the group were holed up in their dressing room, while their manager negotiated with the organizers, even promising to reduce the volume of Franz Ferdinand, so it wouldn’t be so loud in the dance tent. “We spoke to the Franz Ferdinand manager and explained the situation,” Arnaiz explains. “They get on well with Massive Attack and they were understanding. They gave us the OK, but it wasn’t a solution as far as Massive Attack were concerned.” They even tried to get the band to finish 10 minutes early, and thus start the Massive Attack performance with a delay. “We thought that was viable because we could have announced on the screens that there was a delay, and people would understand it,” Arnaiz explains. But it still wasn’t enough.

The crowd waiting to see Massive Attack began to protest, while the Mad Cool team were scrabbling around trying to find any kind of solution – including delaying acts such as La M.O.D.A. and The Bloody Beetroots. The Spanish band and the Italian dance group agreed, but still the answer from Massive Attack was no. “It got to the point where we asked them to give us the solution,” he explains. “We were prepared to stop the entire festival so that no one else was playing and avoid cancelling.” The tensions among the public were clearly on the rise, to the point that some attendees started to throw their plastic beer glasses on the stage.

“We asked them not to cancel for safety’s sake, but they wouldn’t budge. Just when Franz Ferdinand finished, they confirmed they wouldn’t be going out there,” Arnaiz explains. That was at around 3am. Half an hour later, the festival put out a statement confirming the cancellation. “We have done everything possible to delay the time slots of other groups and to find a time when Massive Attack were comfortable, but the unilateral decision of the band has been to cancel their show,” the statement read.

Massive Attack has not made their own statement about what happened, and this newspaper has not been able to get in touch with the group or its management. The band usually requests that there be no overlapping sound from other bands when they play. In 2014 the Spanish group Corizonas had to stop their performance at the Low festival to avoid coinciding with the British stars. According to their guitarist, Fernando Pardo, who spoke to EL PAÍS at the time: “These guys even complained about the noise from some acoustic gigs on the Gibson stage. We had to abandon our gig halfway through so that Massive Attack didn’t cancel. At least the next year Low booked us again as an apology for what had happened.”

wouldn't be surprised if they're the Saturday "dance" act, out on their own on the main stage from about 00:30-02:00, with all the other main tents finished by then. Rankins Wood/Cosby finished at midnight on Saturday last year, with only the EA and LBT going on after that:
    https://clashfinder.com/s/ep2017/

might just finish the EA at midnight too this year, and then have no-one on the LBT until 2am, when Mass Attack finish, then a final act there from 02:00-03:00, like Clark last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Mad Cool must be some mess of a festival to have soundbleed that bad. Massive Attack have played enough festivals to know what's the norm. I doubt we're getting the full story here, obviously the festival want to make it sound like this was purely the bands issue for their own sake, but given the organisational situation I doubt that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus that is lousy from Massive Attack. Is there any stage that could potentially cause noise bleed to the main stage at EP? The only one I could think of might be Casa Bacardi, the rest of the stages/tents are quite far away from the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Mucker46

This is crazy. In Krakow with the family and checking my phone every 15 minutes to see if any updates. Need time to research bands I don't know that well or at all. Clock seriously ticking now and likely to have a negative effect on my one festival a year.

I'd love TV on the Radio to be added. Tour dates are fairly sparse at the moment, one mid August, next is late September, both in the US. Doesn't look likely but, not beyond the bounds of possibility. They were good at oxegen in 09 but think their set was cut short or something, only on for about 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Mad Cool must be some mess of a festival to have soundbleed that bad. Massive Attack have played enough festivals to know what's the norm. I doubt we're getting the full story here, obviously the festival want to make it sound like this was purely the bands issue for their own sake, but given the organisational situation I doubt that's the case.
    they seem a bit diva-ish though, have read that they've played elsewhere and had no bands playing on other stages at the same time as them.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on this, given that a lot of their music is quite low key and mood-based. If they're playing Angel or Teardrop at the same time as some rock band on a stage opposite, the effect is more or less ruined immediately if there's sound bleed. They could go about it better, but there is some basis for being concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd love TV on the Radio to be added. Tour dates are fairly sparse at the moment, one mid August, next is late September, both in the US. Doesn't look likely but, not beyond the bounds of possibility. They were good at oxegen in 09 but think their set was cut short or something, only on for about 35 minutes.

Massive Attack were playing on the stage beside them.

You know we're in the depths of a lull when jokes like that seem like a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

they seem a bit diva-ish though, have read that they've played elsewhere and had no bands playing on other stages at the same time as them.

They've headlined EP before. I assume both parties know the score

You know we're in the depths of a lull when jokes like that seem like a good idea.

And you're such a shining light of high brow humour. :rolleyes:

I haven't resorted to dad jokes yet, so I can at least hold my head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m not so worked up anymore now after Dj kose yesterday

Like we are not asking for much are we!

I haven't resorted to dad jokes yet, so I can at least hold my head up.
    That's true. Tumbleweed style jokes are more your style.
    Bloody albinos wishing our heatwave away.

Got you riled up enough to go creeping back through pages and pages to look for a comment, job done.

Got you riled up enough to go creeping back through pages and pages to look for a comment, job done.

Hardly riled. Took all of 2 seconds. But keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

I was @ MadCool on both Friday and Saturday night. Brilliant festival which proved to me how much mediocre ****e we put up with here including poor lineups and announcement delays. Apparently there was some issues getting in and out of the festival Thursday night but we strolled in and out both nights with no hassle, and no hassle for the rest of the festival. Its a brilliant festival, with an amazing lineup, with some thought put into the line up and how it was structured, with little to no clashes. The only issue was Massive Attack, who in hindsight should have finished off the main stage instead of The Bloody Beetroot. Maybe a swap there would have been a better fit as The Loop (Hanger) that they were to play in was crammed for 2 hours while everyone waited to see them. Poor form them actually being there and not playing. Ive heard they are arsey like that though. Erol Alkan came on @ 3 and wrecked the place and we soon forgot about M.A,. As for lineups youll be hard pressed to beat Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Erol Alkan, QOTSA, Depeche Mode, Richie Hawtin, Underworld, Black Madonna.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

It's not gonna be today is it 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

tonto123 wrote: »
    It's not gonna be today is it ��

Doesn't look like it. I'd imagine we need an announcement about the announcement for everything now :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement