Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

How exactly did he screw up metropolis year 1? That was my favourite one of the 2 I went to and also by far the best line up he's had in the 3 years of doing it.

I'm also interested to hear how it was screwed up.

It seems like people are actively wishing for him to fail with ATN. Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Ah stop

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

So there's this week's announcement. Stand down troops.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Stillill42

If I had a cat, I'd be kicking him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Another week gone, as said before IV defender them to the hilt over many issues, but this absolutely taking the mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Never heard of the hazelwood before. It doesn't sound particularly enthralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Rfrip wrote: »
    I’m not so worked up anymore now after Dj kose yesterday

Like we are not asking for much are we!

I take it back

I’m back to being worked up again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Never heard of the hazelwood before. It doesn't sound particularly enthralling.

It’s a nice little stage. Perfect for late night quiet gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭d_levins

Rfrip wrote: »
    I take it back

I’m back to being worked up again

At this point, I'd be happy just to know what date we will be getting the announcement.
    hate the build up each each week and then being disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Hazel wood was announced on the exact same day last year so they are pretty much following the same order and same dates for the announcements with the glaring exception of the Main Stage 2 announcement which is now a month late (and counting...).  Thinking logically, it can't be just as simple as trying to coincide the announcement to undermine ATN or because one act has let them down.  WTF is going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Eddie lenihan will be great craic.

It’s a nice little stage. Perfect for late night quiet gigs.

Only glanced through the article, but it's mostly theatre and dance there is it? Apart from the a cappella troupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Only glanced through the article, but it's mostly theatre and dance there is it? Apart from the a cappella troupe?
    they had some music acts on there in the evenings last year, Jack L was there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Ah well looks like it's not gonna be this week after that.....
    Hopefully it's next week I mean it ****ing has to be. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭taramurf

I'm also interested to hear how it was screwed up.

It seems like people are actively wishing for him to fail with ATN. Sad

The toilets were non-existent with girls having to queue for hours for about 10 toilets inside the main arena or else you had to go outside to find portaloos, only to discover that you weren't allowed back into the arena because it was too full. The crowd management was awful as well, with scrums of people either entering or leaving a venue through narrow doors or being crushed up against small barriers outside the arenas. It was the first time I've felt remotely scared at a festival before.

In fairness all of these issues were remedied the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

taramurf wrote: »
    The toilets were non-existent with girls having to queue for hours for about 10 toilets inside the main arena or else you had to go outside to find portaloos, only to discover that you weren't allowed back into the arena because it was too full. The crowd management was awful as well, with scrums of people either entering or leaving a venue through narrow doors or being crushed up against small barriers outside the arenas. It was the first time I've felt remotely scared at a festival before.

In fairness all of these issues were remedied the following year.

Agree with the issues here, particularly the toilets my poor bf spent half the night just waiting on me to use the loo! Even this year gone the toilet queues weren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

they had some music acts on there in the evenings last year, Jack L was there I think.

He was - we stumbled in there about half way through his set - it was great, couple of DJs on afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

It must be the evil in me, but I'm enjoying people losing their life over a lack of announcement. I think it's hilarious.

People are definitely getting a bit carried away. I can see being frustrated - it is a strange one, no doubt about it - but saying they'll sell their tickets and that they'll never go again seems a bit mad to me. Either the lineup does it for you or it doesn't, the second announcement probably won't change things all that much. Can't remember ever being persuaded to go or not one way or the other after the initial headliners were announced, personally.

• Advertisement

Cathy Davey played her new album there on the Friday year before last. That was pretty cool. But then Cathy always is.

But yeah, Cathy Davey year 1 to Jack L last year to some acappella group this year? They're not exactly pushing it as a new music venue. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

People are definitely getting a bit carried away. I can see being frustrated - it is a strange one, no doubt about it - but saying they'll sell their tickets and that they'll never go again seems a bit mad to me. Either the lineup does it for you or it doesn't, the second announcement probably won't change things all that much. Can't remember ever being persuaded to go or not one way or the other after the initial headliners were announced, personally.

To be fair, I think people's main gripe is that it leaves way less time to discover and get interested in new acts before the festival which diminishes the entertainment value of the ticket. Personally selling my ticket isn't even a consideration but I can certainly understand punters frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Suggestion for EP organisers as a new way of building hype and maintaining interest: release the name of one confirmed act every day between now and 31 Aug.  Surely easily done via Twitter and would make sure that people get to know the acts in advance.

That's a great idea actually. There's plenty of acts I never bother to check out, but probably would if they drip fed it like that. They won't though, because it requires more work than they're willing to put in, and probably requires a lot more organisation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

BigMo1 wrote: »
    To be fair, I think people's main gripe is that it leaves way less time to discover and get interested in new acts before the festival which diminishes the entertainment value of the ticket. Personally selling my ticket isn't even a consideration but I can certainly understand punters frustrations.

That's exactly it. I'm not on top of all these acts, so I need the time to check them out. Plus its the feeling like we're being treated like s**te because not only are we not being told when we will get the announcement, but its a month later than last year, so we've spent a month at least expecting something without any joy.

This is my one main musical outing of the year, and I typically spend 6 months on Spotify listening to everyone and refining my preferences. Now I will be under pressure to listen to them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

I love the Hazeltree area.
    Watched a play there last year with an audience full of locals who obviously bought a day ticket who were freaked out by a dub after taking a tab. He was giving a running commentry on how he was feeling throughout the play ruining it for the actors on stage.
    Eventually he announced why he was feeling this way. That was the Q for the ICA ladies to leave the Hazeltree.

On a side note..
    That fairy fellow Eddie freaks me out with his stories.
    I had a nightmare as a child featuring him.
    I am still traumatised 30 years on to be honest so I will be avoiding the Hazeltree area. Knowing my luck I will see him walking around the place.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It must be the evil in me, but I'm enjoying people losing their life over a lack of announcement. I think it's hilarious.

The delays with the announcements are getting worse. That's a fact.

I've also said months ago, my gripe isn't with the quality of the acts, but moreover that I listen to a playlist of bands playing and if I don't know who are playing, I cannot listen to them and therefore when they do play, I either miss their set (not knowing anything about them) or go and not recognise any of their songs.

Either one is annoying. That's also a fact.

To me, it is an irritant. I don't mind if someone flicks my ear once in a while, but if its persistent and gets worse, it is eventually gonna p*ss me off.

That's just my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Something is definitely wrong. 

Its fairly unheard of for a festival of EP's size and status to not have the main section of their weekend announced 6 weeks out?

• Advertisement

I doubt it's anything more serious than a big-ish act pulling out or something and they're struggling to source a replacement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement