Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yeah I don't think its anything earth shattering, just very strange to be this close and only one main arena announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

I'm in the same boat as most of the above. In the 16 years or so I've been doing festivals I've always tried discovering new bands etc. Been harder and harder with ep the last couple of years. Takes a huge bit of the enjoyment out of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Also the silence from them on social media when asked about it is very strange. I remember last year being in touch with festival republic about a few things and getting answered the same day. As far as I can see they haven't responded to anybody about the lack of announcements for main area

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Something here about an RTE2FM stage. See The Wood Burning Savages from Derry playing. Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

A couple of years back 2014 or 2015??, they dripfed a good few acts one at a time from Christmas time on. It was a great way of releasing acts and generating a buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Only way I can see an act pulling out being the reason is if it is one of the acts already announced i.e. Kendrick can't play and they're trying to find a replacement.  It doesn't make sense not to announce because an unconfirmed act has pulled out i.e. if they announced 39 new confirmed acts people are hardly going to know there is an act missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

ricerocket wrote: »
    Only way I can see an act pulling out being the reason is if it is one of the acts already announced i.e. Kendrick can't play and they're trying to find a replacement.  It doesn't make sense not to announce because an unconfirmed act has pulled out i.e. if they announced 39 new confirmed acts people are hardly going to know there is an act missing!

Christ, imagine the ****storm if Kendrick pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Christ, imagine the ****storm if Kendrick pulled out.

Much of it from the same people who complained about his booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If you're annoyed about the lack of announcements, coming to this thread is the worst thing you can do. The constant "they have to announce this week, surely this week, this time last year we had the second announcement..." just gets everyone riled up. It's self-inflicted misery.

People who would let this detract from their enjoyment of the weekend, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Can't see the logic in your guess tbh - why would an act already announced hold up the second announcement, they're as unrelated as the announcement for Other Voices, Hazelwood etc. They could work away on finding a replacement for the already announced act and noone would be any the wiser. If an already announced act had to cancel this far in advance, they'd usually make a statement themselves so EP wouldn't have any choice but to make a statement themselves.

If there's a big enough act in the second announcement after pulling out on them at the last minute (IE an Electric Arena headliner or something) then it stands to reason that they'll try to replace them with a similar size act, and might prefer to do that in advance of the announcement in order to avoid announcing them on their own at a later date. They've rarely have announced single acts (apart from the overall headliners a few times) so this would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Just remember, the headline act announced in second wave last year was Elbow so the announcement we're waiting for could be underwhelming to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

The IRISH are coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The 3 biggest acts in the second announcement from the last few years. Not a bad mix I would say.

2017 - Elbow, Phoenix, Birdy
    2016 - Noel Gallagher, The 1975, Nas
    2015 - Blur, Grace Jones, Interpol
    2014 - Blondie, Sinead O'Connor, Mogwai

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I love the Hazeltree area.
    That fairy fellow Eddie freaks me out with his stories.
    I had a nightmare as a child featuring him.
    I am still traumatised 30 years on to be honest so I will be avoiding the Hazeltree area. Knowing my luck I will see him walking around the place.
    :eek:

Seen him at B&S a few weeks ago, did a great story about a Stoat, freaky as f**k. If you like any of J B Keane's books, it would be hard not to enjoy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

ricerocket wrote:
    Just remember, the headline act announced in second wave last year was Elbow so the announcement we're waiting for could be underwhelming to say the least!

Different strokes. I was over the moon when Elbow were announced and I thought their performance was a festival highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

6 weeks to go and we're still trying to guess when that second main stage announcement will come.. So disappointing

If one of the three headline acts pulled out you would have heard by now via social media

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Can't see the logic in your guess tbh - why would an act already announced hold up the second announcement, they're as unrelated as the announcement for Other Voices, Hazelwood etc. They could work away on finding a replacement for the already announced act and noone would be any the wiser. If an already announced act had to cancel this far in advance, they'd usually make a statement themselves so EP wouldn't have any choice but to make a statement themselves.

If there's a big enough act in the second announcement after pulling out on them at the last minute (IE an Electric Arena headliner or something) then it stands to reason that they'll try to replace them with a similar size act, and might prefer to do that in advance of the announcement in order to avoid announcing them on their own at a later date. They've rarely have announced single acts (apart from the overall headliners a few times) so this would make sense.

They would carry on as if said act was never on the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Stillill42

declanleo wrote: »
    BadTurtle wrote: »

They would carry on as if said act was never on the bill
    Just had a quick check on poster to see if Kendrick had been replaced by Gavin James. So far so good. But rule nothing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

What exactly did Eoin McDermott day can anyone tell me.... With his contacts I think we all know its obviously an Irish act he was referring to anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

tonto123 wrote: »
    What exactly did Eoin McDermott day can anyone tell me.... With his contacts I think we all know its obviously an Irish act he was referring to anyways

He said ‘ picture this scenario, a load of lads walking on cars swinging bottles of Corona about the place and not a ham sandwich to be seen’. Wink wink nod nod.
    No idea what he was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Stillill42

In years to come, Damien Dempsey will write a song about this Summer, when the sun never stopped shining and the grass was brown and you couldn't use your hose and EP never told us who the f**k was playing.
    We'll hear it and remember, smile a rueful smile and tell our kids we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Poorside wrote: »
    He said ‘ picture this scenario, a load of lads walking on cars swinging bottles of Corona about the place and not a ham sandwich to be seen’. Wink wink nod nod.
    No idea what he was on about.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I was @ MadCool on both Friday and Saturday night. Brilliant festival which proved to me how much mediocre ****e we put up with here including poor lineups and announcement delays. Apparently there was some issues getting in and out of the festival Thursday night but we strolled in and out both nights with no hassle, and no hassle for the rest of the festival. Its a brilliant festival, with an amazing lineup, with some thought put into the line up and how it was structured, with little to no clashes. The only issue was Massive Attack, who in hindsight should have finished off the main stage instead of The Bloody Beetroot. Maybe a swap there would have been a better fit as The Loop (Hanger) that they were to play in was crammed for 2 hours while everyone waited to see them. Poor form them actually being there and not playing. Ive heard they are arsey like that though. Erol Alkan came on @ 3 and wrecked the place and we soon forgot about M.A,. As for lineups youll be hard pressed to beat Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Erol Alkan, QOTSA, Depeche Mode, Richie Hawtin, Underworld, Black Madonna.

To be fair though Spanish festivals such as Primavera and Mad Cool do get that extra help from their government, with supporting grants and the like, which means they can pick and choose a more exclusive lineup because of that extra cash injection and probably not as much health and safety nonsense that you get for the Irish fests.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

To be fair though Spanish festivals such as Primavera and Mad Cool do get that extra help from their government, with supporting grants and the like, which means they can pick and choose a more exclusive lineup because of that extra cash injection and probably not as much health and safety nonsense that you get for the Irish fests.

Many European festivals (though Primavera, Werchter & Roskilde are exceptions) also tend to have very top-heavy line-ups. Splurge the cash on the headliners, subs, some mid-tier and the rest is often made up of cheaper local acts. Benicassim, Exit and Pohoda are examples of this and Mad Cool also looks pretty strong at the top but few up & coming or decent newish acts. Primavera is strong throughout. And also give me a grass surface over concrete anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you're annoyed about the lack of announcements, coming to this thread is the worst thing you can do. The constant "they have to announce this week, surely this week, this time last year we had the second announcement..." just gets everyone riled up. It's self-inflicted misery.

People who would let this detract from their enjoyment of the weekend, I dunno.

True, enjoy the summer while its here I say. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I can see Catfish and The Bottlemen and Twin Atlantic maybe being added , both are playing a gig in Wales the week of EP.

EDIT: Oh nevermind its actually this month the gig is on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Given how flakey EP have been recently I’d happily see them follow the MadCool approach to booking bands. Go big league. They’re about to be outflanked by ATN next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Wooderson wrote: »
    Given how flakey EP have been recently I’d happily see them follow the MadCool approach to booking bands. Go big league. They’re about to be outflanked by ATN next year anyway.

If you believe that, you're very naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Wooderson

If you believe that, you're very naive.

Hint of bull**** off EP this year. I’m not alone in thinking this. Nothing naive at all. The opposite actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement