Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Wooderson wrote: »
    Hint of bull**** off EP this year. I’m not alone in thinking this. Nothing naive at all. The opposite actually.

Automatically thinking a festival will "outflank" EP, based on no hard evidence is naive.
    ATN could be the greatest cluster**** of all time, we don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Automatically thinking a festival will "outflank" EP, based on no hard evidence is naive.

First year of any festival is normally quite sketchy. It’s impossible to get everything right until they have a live run.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

If acts are at the stage of self announcing then surely the full lineup must be soon? Personally I'm hoping for as much of the End of the Road bill as possible, there's so much great stuff there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Wooderson wrote: »
    Given how flakey EP have been recently I’d happily see them follow the MadCool approach to booking bands. Go big league. They’re about to be outflanked by ATN next year anyway.

I’d love to see ATN do well. Out of gratitude to Reynolds for starting EP and as another option on the circuit. But alas I think they may not even make it to 2019.

They needed to announce their festival before the EP early birds went on sale. Started badly. Ticket sales are underwhelming and I suspect FR are going to utterly screw their late sales next week by announcing a few very impressive acts for Stradballly. And then possibly releasing a few thousand extra EP tickets. Hope I’m wrong but I think ATN is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I don’t get the low tolerance of some on here for the posters pissed off about lack of announcements. The complete absence of a second announcement is bad form and it’s perfectly okay to be annoyed! This thread comprises of die hard and loyal Picnic goers after all. And then it seems, there are some so loyal that you cannot criticise the dear Picnic.

Personally I’m finding the different theories interesting to read. Normally at this time, less than six weeks to go, the thread is talking about lists of gear, slabs of cans and the best kind of wheels for your trolley. It’s effing unbelievable that can’t graduate to practical chat because we still don’t know the damn line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I’d love to see ATN do well. Out of gratitude to Reynolds for starting EP and as another option on the circuit. But alas I think they may not even make it to 2019.

They needed to announce their festival before the EP early birds went on sale. Started badly. Ticket sales are underwhelming and I suspect FR are going to utterly screw their late sales next week by announcing a few very impressive acts for Stradballly. And then possibly releasing a few thousand extra EP tickets. Hope I’m wrong but I think ATN is in trouble.

Maybe the very impressive acts aren't coming and this is as good as it gets? Every theory has been explored except that

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

PinkCamper wrote: »
    I don’t get the low tolerance of some on here for the posters pissed off about lack of announcements. The complete absence of a second announcement is bad form and it’s perfectly okay to be annoyed! This thread comprises of die hard and loyal Picnic goers after all. And then it seems, there are some so loyal that you cannot criticise the dear Picnic.

Personally I’m finding the different theories interesting to read. Normally at this time, less than six weeks to go, the thread is talking about lists of gear, slabs of cans and the best kind of wheels for your trolley. It’s effing unbelievable that can’t graduate to practical chat because we still don’t know the damn line up.
    True, true and true.... lolapolooza is a week after the picnic and they have their stage times at this stage... Of course we are right to moan, it's a forum to talk about the fest and only having half the lineup is the elephant in the room right now...
    I always have looked on the bright side with the picnic, defending everything about it but this is bad, it really is, there is no getting away from that... If you have any interest in the music on show then of course you are allowed be frustrated when you have paid big bucks to go to a gig and you only know half the acts playing..... IV never bought the whole they are waiting for this festival to finish or that bands gig to finish before announcing, Iv been on the go a while and I don't think the like of Melvin Benn cares about that.. When he wants to announce he will announce... Its obviously a plan this year to wait it out .. Who knows the reason... Maybe its to really drive the hype machine wild closer to the festival not that a festival that sells out 6 months in advance needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Good post.

Would be really disappointed if EPHQ were holding off on an announcement to damage late sales for ATN. Yer festival is a sellout lads, cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Going to start compiling a list of worst case scenario acts that could be added when the announcement is made on the Thursday of the picnic. My logic is it may act as a reverse jinx and ward off the worst acts (my predictions are usually fairly far off).

Little Hours
    Picture This
    Kodaline
    Walking on cars
    Gavin James
    Little Green Cars
    Ham Sandwich
    Snow Patrol
    The Coronas
    Ed Sharpe
    James Bay
    The Academic

More will come to me in time, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

tonto123 wrote: »
    True, true and true.... lolapolooza is a week after the picnic and they have their stage times at this stage... Of course we are right to moan, it's a forum to talk about the fest and only having half the lineup is the elephant in the room right now...
    I always have looked on the bright side with the picnic, defending everything about it but this is bad, it really is, there is no getting away from that... If you have any interest in the music on show then of course you are allowed be frustrated when you have paid big bucks to go to a gig and you only know half the acts playing..... IV never bought the whole they are waiting for this festival to finish or that bands gig to finish before announcing, Iv been on the go a while and I don't think the like of Melvin Benn cares about that.. When he wants to announce he will announce... Its obviously a plan this year to wait it out .. Who knows the reason... Maybe its to really drive the hype machine wild closer to the festival not that a festival that sells out 6 months in advance needs it

Like I said earlier whatever the reason is for the delay they are putting their hands out to be slapped if the 2nd announcement isn't great. However if it is worth the wait then all is forgiven. It's a risky strategy, either way me being annoyed at the delay now won't make a difference when I'm down there.....I hope:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

haitens wrote: »
    Like I said earlier whatever the reason is for the delay they are putting their hands out to be slapped if the 2nd announcement isn't great. However if it is worth the wait then all is forgiven. It's a risky strategy, either way me being annoyed at the delay now won't make a difference when I'm down there.....I hope:)
    Oh once we are on the way to the festival on the Friday morning all is forgiven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Whoever said the delay is ATN related I think they are bang on the money. If ATN isn't selling out and EP have held back a couple of thousand tickets then releasing a massive 2nd announcement next week is a plausible reason. There is a lot of bad blood between Reynolds and FR/MCD. It's a c**** trick but it's a cut throat business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Whoever said the delay is ATN related I think they are bang on the money. If ATN isn't selling out and EP have held back a couple of thousand tickets then releasing a massive 2nd announcement next week is a plausible reason. There is a lot of bad blood between Reynolds and FR/MCD. It's a c**** trick but it's a cut throat business.

There were tickets released around this time last year for Three customers last year and probably the year before also. That's because Three are sponsors

If this happens I will seriously rethink my Picnic loyalty. That would be low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

PinkCamper wrote: »

There's quite literally nothing stopping you from discussing any practical stuff. Unless your choice of beer depends on the third-billed acts, or you're waiting to see the comedy lineup to decide if you need three pairs of shoes or just two, then have at it.

This endless moaning about the announcements is what's ruining it for you, not the lack of announcement itself.

As the yet-to-be-announced final headliners would say, you do it yourselves, just you, you and no-one else.

I’m kind of dismayed reading all the posts on how they’ve blown the budget with Kendrick. Just based on my own tastes, it’s the one act I’m least interested in seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Feels like we have reached conspiracy theory level in here! But you could well be right, as far as I can remember the last two years the second announcement came on the day that Body & Soul started and the year that Forbidden Fruit started.. Possibly trying to steal the limelight from their competitors?

There's quite literally nothing stopping you from discussing any practical stuff. Unless your choice of beer depends on the third-billed acts, or you're waiting to see the comedy lineup to decide if you need three pairs of shoes or just two, then have at it.

This endless moaning about the announcements is what's ruining it for you, not the lack of announcement itself.

As the yet-to-be-announced final headliners would say, you do it yourselves, just you, you and no-one else.

Lol at the Radiohead ref, but I’m not sure I said anywhere that the lack of announcement was ruining anything for me. Or that I’ve any desire to be getting on with practical chatter. I’ve simply made observations on the current state of the conversation. And I see no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

plus it's a small festival, it won't make much of a difference to EP really.

almost everyone I've heard of going to ATN are veterans of EP. when Body and Soul festival came along, loads of people who had gone to EP from 2004-2012 started doing B&S because they had gotten tired of EP.

same thing seems to be happening now with ATN, loads of people who have been going to EP for years getting sick of it, and looking for something new.

like when B&S came along though, there'll always be a new generation of festival-goers who want to go to EP because it's the biggest festival going.

unless EP start booking Longitude-style acts for the whole lineup, or lead it further down the commercial path, ATN won't be an issue for them any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Still waiting for these charming men to be announced, can't beat a tribute act at a music festival

• Advertisement

Final announcement from ATN there, nothing too interesting, the usual fare you'd find in a final EP announcement.

Feels like we have reached conspiracy theory level in here! But you could well be right, as far as I can remember the last two years the second announcement came on the day that Body & Soul started and the year that Forbidden Fruit started.. Possibly trying to steal the limelight from their competitors?
    I'd question how much impact that would make though really?
    from a media standpoint, most papers will have a small piece (if any) about the festivals starting, and that's about it.
    pretty much everyone would have already bought their FF/B&S ticket by the time the EP announcement came out, and for the few that hadn't, they're hardly going to see it and think "oh i'm not going to go today because EP has announced more acts for 3 months time".

maybe it's just pettiness, but I can't see how it would make any difference really, FF and B&S will still get their attention.

for that reason I can't see why they'd be waiting to try and hurt ATN.
    If anything, if EP have a few names up their sleeve, they should be announcing them now so that less people decide "feck it, I'm not too impressed with the EP lineup, lets buy a ticket to ATN instead".

the longer EP drag this out for, the more likely people are going to go elsewhere.
    of course, it's sold out, so I doubt EP care too much.

if they announce on Friday 3rd August, then I guess it really is just pettiness and trying to get one over on Reynolds!

To be fair though Spanish festivals such as Primavera and Mad Cool do get that extra help from their government, with supporting grants and the like, which means they can pick and choose a more exclusive lineup because of that extra cash injection and probably not as much health and safety nonsense that you get for the Irish fests.
    Primavera and Mad Cool have pretty much no "arts" stuff either.
    it's "here's 6 stages, here's a load of bands, that's it, that's where your money went", which suits me perfectly tbh, but I can see how others wouldn't like it at all.

if EP was just the main stage, EA, Cosby tent, Rankins Wood, Little Big Tent and Casa Bacardi, then i'm sure it would be a much stronger lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Primavera and Mad Cool have pretty much no "arts" stuff either.
    it's "here's 6 stages, here's a load of bands, that's it, that's where your money went", which suits me perfectly tbh, but I can see how others wouldn't like it at all.

if EP was just the main stage, EA, Cosby tent, Rankins Wood, Little Big Tent and Casa Bacardi, then i'm sure it would be a much stronger lineup.

No camping either, which is a serious cost for EP. Take away the setup, security, insurance and cleanup costs for 40,000 campers and you'd have enough for a few big name acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Going to start compiling a list of worst case scenario acts that could be added when the announcement is made on the Thursday of the picnic. My logic is it may act as a reverse jinx and ward off the worst acts (my predictions are usually fairly far off).

Little Hours
    Picture This
    Kodaline
    Walking on cars
    Gavin James
    Little Green Cars
    Ham Sandwich
    Snow Patrol
    The Coronas
    Ed Sharpe
    James Bay
    The Academic

More will come to me in time, I'm sure.

A few of those playing Galway Arts Fest next week. Could be another (part) reason for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Final announcement from ATN there, nothing too interesting, the usual fare you'd find in a final EP announcement.

Where is this? Was just checking their social media there, was this their Arcadia bill they announced, I know they still have to announce acts for this, I reckon it will be like EP's Anchronica lineup, local acts like Sunil Sharpe and folk like that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Where is this? Was just checking their social media there, was this their Arcadia bill they announced, I know they still have to announce acts for this, I reckon it will be like EP's Anchronica lineup, local acts like Sunil Sharpe and folk like that.

Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

As per post 1 of this thread, that’s a paddlin

From their facebook page:

Will (sic) less than 2 weeks to go festival tickets are on course to selling out for our debut year...we are delighted to reveal some of the final additions to the line-up including Bingo Loco, Guilty Pleasures, The Ocelots, Blind Poets, Malojian, Newfoundland - IE, Mongoose, Eclair Fifi, Saoirse, Brién, Timmy Stewart, Donal Dineen, New Jackson (DJ Set), Get Down Edits plus many more! 🎉🎉

Didn't notice the "some of the final additions" initially but I presume that's it for the main stages, and anything else is things akin to Arcadia etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

Every little helps, Tesco just announced for the campsite...

I'm going back into my hole now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement