Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

davew121 wrote: »
    Every little helps, Tesco just announced..

Ya just bet me to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Maybe the very impressive acts aren't coming and this is as good as it gets? Every theory has been explored except that

There’ll be more acts for sure. Likely a mixed bunch but whatever your individual taste there should be at least two or three to please every attendee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The All Together Now stuff has me a bit confused really. Not sure why people think it has EP worried or anything of the sort. They are completely different offerings - 15k vs 45k - and even if ATN is a huge success, there's room enough in the market for both I would say.

ATN strikes me as more of a threat to Body & Soul than EP tbh. Boutique style, smaller acts, etc.

EP is a totally different beast now to what it was a few years ago (for better or worse!!) and ATN seems to be targeting that old EP crowd. I'd imagine a huge portion of the newer EP crowd - those that are more interested because of the slightly more mainstream/pop headline acts for e.g. - wouldn't be remotely bothered by a smaller boutique festival down the road, regardless of how well or badly it does this summer.

I believe that there's space enough for them both in the market. There was talk a year ago that Melvin Benn had identified space in the calendar for two more camping festivals, one in the south, and this seems to be it. Perhaps that means ATN has jumped the gun on something that he had planned and that might be of a concern to MB and Festival Republic but not in relation to EP, per se.

The All Together Now stuff has me a bit confused really. Not sure why people think it has EP worried or anything of the sort. They are completely different offerings - 15k vs 45k - and even if ATN is a huge success, there's room enough in the market for both I would say.

ATN strikes me as more of a threat to Body & Soul than EP tbh. Boutique style, smaller acts, etc.

EP is a totally different beast now to what it was a few years ago (for better or worse!!) and ATN seems to be targeting that old EP crowd. I'd imagine a huge portion of the newer EP crowd - those that are more interested because of the slightly more mainstream/pop headline acts for e.g. - wouldn't be remotely bothered by a smaller boutique festival down the road, regardless of how well or badly it does this summer.

I believe that there's space enough for them both in the market. There was talk a year ago that Melvin Benn had identified space in the calendar for two more camping festivals, one in the south, and this seems to be it. Perhaps that means ATN has jumped the gun on something that he had planned and that might be of a concern to MB and Festival Republic but not in relation to EP, per se.

It may be 15k vs 55k now but we can safely assume that Reynolds has chosen a site with the intention of expanding. How much I have no idea but it could be close to EP’s current capacity. They’re in direct competition, or soon will be. EP may be sold out but FR are thinking years ahead.

The two festivals are four weeks apart, going for similar acts (most of the ATN lineup has recently played EP) and appealing to the same people judging by this thread for starters. With all the bad blood I’m sure Reynolds is seeking to make ATN the prime Summer fest on this island. Hence Benn & FR may be trying to kill it at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    ........Hence Benn & FR may be trying to kill it at birth.

They would be utterly derelict and remiss in their jobs if they didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What would make it even more interesting would be Reynold's starting up a camping music festival in Northern Ireland, I wonder if he will venture there as all you have is T Vital and Belsonic which are non camping city festivals, Sun Flower Festival which is a small camping festival about same capacity as Sea Sessions I think and a handful of others.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

BadTurtle wrote: »
    From their facebook page:

Will (sic) less than 2 weeks to go festival tickets are on course to selling out for our debut year...we are delighted to reveal some of the final additions to the line-up including Bingo Loco, Guilty Pleasures, The Ocelots, Blind Poets, Malojian, Newfoundland - IE, Mongoose, Eclair Fifi, Saoirse, Brién, Timmy Stewart, Donal Dineen, New Jackson (DJ Set), Get Down Edits plus many more! 🎉🎉

Didn't notice the "some of the final additions" initially but I presume that's it for the main stages, and anything else is things akin to Arcadia etc.

Malojian. Damn it. Was hoping to see them in OV or Body & Soul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

There’ll be more acts for sure. Likely a mixed bunch but whatever your individual taste there should be at least two or three to please every attendee.

Of course there'll be more acts and by law of averages there's going to be something there to please people but I don't share your opinion that they're holding back on a big coup in order to sabotage ATN

They would be utterly derelict and remiss in their jobs if they didn’t.

Sorry but that's nonsense. There's room for both, they're not in competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It may be 15k vs 55k now but we can safely assume that Reynolds has chosen a site with the intention of expanding. How much I have no idea but it could be close to EP’s current capacity. They’re in direct competition, or soon will be. EP may be sold out but FR are thinking years ahead.

The two festivals are four weeks apart, going for similar acts (most of the ATN lineup has recently played EP) and appealing to the same people judging by this thread for starters. With all the bad blood I’m sure Reynolds is seeking to make ATN the prime Summer fest on this island. Hence Benn & FR may be trying to kill it at birth.

There's an awful lot of speculation in this post. You may be right about the expansion but it took ten years for EP to go from 15k to 50k, most of that under Reynolds' stewardship.

Why would ATN be so different? No doubt it'll grow but its going to be slow progress, if its successful. But to suggest that there in direct competition now is plain wrong when it comes to the audiences they're targeting. This thread represents part of the EP audience and there's definitely an interest in both festivals but there's a huge segment of the audience that is interested in Kendrick Lamar, Churches, NERD, George Ezra, etc who won't be swayed by Chaka Khan or Fleet Foxes.

Some people might drop EP for ATN but there's a huge amount of people interested in EP who won't budge.

• Advertisement

There's an awful lot of speculation in this post. You may be right about the expansion but it took ten years for EP to go from 15k to 50k, most of that under Reynolds' stewardship.

Why would ATN be so different? No doubt it'll grow but its going to be slow progress, if its successful. But to suggest that there in direct competition now is plain wrong when it comes to the audiences they're targeting. This thread represents part of the EP audience and there's definitely an interest in both festivals but there's a huge segment of the audience that is interested in Kendrick Lamar, Churches, NERD, George Ezra, etc who won't be swayed by Chaka Khan or Fleet Foxes.

Some people might drop EP for ATN but there's a huge amount of people interested in EP who won't budge.

And as I pointed out a few pages back even if some people drop EP for ATN, it won't make a blind bit of difference to EP seeing as it's a well established festival and is always going to have a new crop of attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

I guess we will never know if ATN is the reason for the delay. But to suggest they are not in competition is crazy imo. People on here said The same was thought when Body and Soul came around, but B&S was never gonna try get that big is that not the point of it being a boutique festival. ATN on the other hand I reckon have plans to get as big as they can with the history between Reynolds and EP I'd say long term he'd love to have the biggest festival in Ireland. Also is there room for 2 big festivals in Ireland??? EP Got bigger off the back of Oxegen failing.

haitens wrote: »
    I guess we will never know if ATN is the reason for the delay. But to suggest they are not in competition is crazy imo. People on here said The same was thought when Body and Soul came around, but B&S was never gonna try get that big is that not the point of it being a boutique festival. ATN on the other hand I reckon have plans to get as big as they can with the history between Reynolds and EP I'd say long term he'd love to have the biggest festival in Ireland. Also is there room for 2 big festivals in Ireland??? EP Got bigger off the back of Oxegen failing.

Based on what we know now (and not speculation) there is no evidence that ATN is looking to be the biggest festival in Ireland or a rival for EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Lumping George Ezra in there with the other three like they'd have remotely the same type of listener.

ATN’s progress, if it happens, may be small. But it will be at the expense of EP. They’re clearly in direct competition. As EP & Oxegen were from 2005 onwards (2004 was an EP one-dayer) despite being vastly different.

EP & ATN are much more similar, and have a history of bad blood between the promoters. It’s not wild speculation to surmise that Reynolds intends ATN to be Ireland’s prominent Summer fest. Nor that FR will do what they can to stop that happening. If Reynolds didn’t want ATN to surpass EP then he’d not be doing his job properly.

We’ll know more next week. I predict an announcement a week before ATN with some very impressive acts alongside some less good but popular ones. And while ATN is making a last push for tickets EP may realease some of their production tickets. People considering last-minute ATN purchases may be swayed elsewhere.

To be honest I’d prefer to be wrong and have the two fests co-exist harmoniously. But I’m pretty sure EP is out to kill their competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Based on what we know now (and not speculation) there is no evidence that ATN is looking to be the biggest festival in Ireland or a rival for EP

Yeah it's just my opinion I don't know anybody who works for POD or FR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Sorry but that's nonsense. There's room for both, they're not in competition

They will be chasing the same market, the same artists, the same sponsors and if the brits go full retard on brexit the same shrinking pile of pennies available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

The Tesco announcement is getting a right roasting on FB! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The Tesco announcement is getting a right roasting on FB! Lol

Ha someone posted hope they are on in electric arena and not the main stage :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Rfrip wrote: »
    Ha someone posted hope they are on in electric arena and not the main stage :):)

Cashier number 9 should be certs for the big announcement now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Peter File wrote: »
    Rfrip wrote: »

Cashier number 9 should be certs for the big announcement now
    If only....! They were good, but split, didn't they? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wonder what the next announcement will be, the Stradbally One-legged Lesbian Spoons playing orchestra or something like that. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,641 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I wonder what the next announcement will be, the Stradbally One-legged Lesbian Spoons playing orchestra or something like that. :)

Id watch that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's funny, I know the Tesco announcement is no big deal but it's just the type of corporate ****e that will annoy the demograhic that we've been saying that ATN are targeting, oul lads like myself, people nostalgic for picnics past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Just self-announced on Bebo. Playing the Pagoda stage on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭denisstack

mgkelly wrote: »
    If only....! They were good, but split, didn't they? :)

They're exmagician now, at least some of them are. They're still good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Bank of Ireland providing the ATMs probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I think the timing of ATN is off. August bank holiday is prime exodus out of the country. On that ground alone it will find it difficult to challenge EP.

Mid July would be better I reckon. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Hoping for Hannah Wants to join the line up again this year. She had an unbelievable set last year in RW and has the weekend free between her ibiza residency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I’ll be at the front.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement