Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cloe13

mgkelly wrote: »
    Darn tooting sure it won't be! This is an annual preoccupation. Used to be the hurlers, but the GAA have changed dates. I'm led to believe that some smaller tents do, and Stradbally pubs happy to take your money.
    I am trying very hard not to 'gowl' about people asking. Was at BST in Hyde Park to see The Cure during 1/4 final for England. Much social media bitching about it, but having a big screen with footie would have ruined things.
    You are there for the music or you are there for the music......

Of course I'm going to Electric Picnic for the music- but it just so happened that the date for the final had to be pushed back a week with the Pope coming and unfortunately EP and the final have fallen on the same weekend- football is something I've followed for years so I don't plan on missing the most important match of the season, I was just asking if it would be shown or would I have to make other arrangements! Of course not at the main stage, I wouldn't expect that at all but I believe that the atmosphere tof watching the All Ireland Final would be a great addition to EP! Just my opinion😊

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Have been trying so so hard to get into Kendrick, but regret to announce it just isnt for me.
    Much more excited by the likes of st vincent, King Krule, chvrches, Jungle, wolf alice and fags after riding

who are people most hyping up this year?
    Same as love me rap but kendrick not doing it for me, has anyone idea is kendrick Def on the Friday, with massive attack on the Saturday and nerd on the Sunday???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have been trying so so hard to get into Kendrick, but regret to announce it just isnt for me.
    Much more excited by the likes of st vincent, King Krule, chvrches, Jungle, wolf alice and fags after riding

I tried listening to "to pimp a butterfly". The first song was an earnest entreaty from Kendrick to a young lady, stating that if she wished to engage in a sexual act with him (implicitly, fellatio) then she would need to discharge a fee in advance.

I guess its that true to life realism that won him Guaedians album of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Sure the ATN site is large, but so is Stradbally 800 acres. If you compare area vs capacity to Glastonbury, there's ample space at EP. Not that I want to see more than 55k but I think they could use the space between Hendrix and the main stage more efficiently

One of the key things about Stradbally is the road network is perfect for large volumes, motorway then onto lots of smaller intersecting country roads coming from north and south, if there's a build up on one they can quickly switch to more than one alternative. For work I usually attend the ploughing championships, its normally a disastor for traffic, but for the few years it was in Stradbally was much better.

15,000 capacity for ATN is huge, not something you can do without serious backing, to me thats clear intent. They may not reach 15k but that might not be an issue, I think the EP made a loss in some of the early years, you would have to assume Reyonlds factored this in to ATN.

EP Attendance;
    2018: 55k (sell out)
    2017: 55k (sell out)
    2016: 55k (sell out)
    2015: 47/48.5K
    2014: 42k (sell out)
    2013: 35k (sell out)
    2012: 35k (22k) (6k day tickets)
    2011: (4k day tickets) guesstimate 12/15k
    2010: Guesstimate 12/15k
    2009: 32.5k
    2008: 32.5k (Sell out)
    2007: 32.5k (28k)
    2006: 30K (Sell out)
    2005: Guesstimate 12/15k
    2004: 10k (Sell out)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Check out La Femme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Does any know if all entrances and car parks are open for the early birds on Thursday? And, will there be Gardai in point duty at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I live less than 10 minutes from where ATN will be held. Can see traffic being a nightmare getting in and out of Curraghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Sure the ATN site is large, but so is Stradbally 800 acres. If you compare area vs capacity to Glastonbury, there's ample space at EP. Not that I want to see more than 55k but I think they could use the space between Hendrix and the main stage more efficiently

One of the key things about Stradbally is the road network is perfect for large volumes, motorway then onto lots of smaller intersecting country roads coming from north and south, if there's a build up on one they can quickly switch to more than one alternative. For work I usually attend the ploughing championships, its normally a disastor for traffic, but for the few years it was in Stradbally was much better.

15,000 capacity for ATN is huge, not something you can do without serious backing, to me thats clear intent. They may not reach 15k but that might not be an issue, I think the EP made a loss in some of the early years, you would have to assume Reyonlds factored this in to ATN.

EP Attendance;
    2018: 55k (sell out)
    2017: 55k (sell out)
    2016: 55k (sell out)
    2015: 47/48.5K
    2014: 42k (sell out)
    2013: 35k (sell out)
    2012: 35k (22k) (6k day tickets)
    2011: (4k day tickets) guesstimate 12/15k
    2010: Guesstimate 12/15k
    2009: 32.5k
    2008: 32.5k (Sell out)
    2007: 32.5k (28k)
    2006: 30K (Sell out)
    2005: Guesstimate 12/15k
    2004: 10k (Sell out)

I think 2005 was 22,000

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Cloe13 wrote: »
    mgkelly wrote: »
    Darn tooting sure it won't be! This is an annual preoccupation. Used to be the hurlers, but the GAA have changed dates. I'm led to believe that some smaller tents do, and Stradbally pubs happy to take your money.
    I am trying very hard not to 'gowl' about people asking. Was at BST in Hyde Park to see The Cure during 1/4 final for England. Much social media bitching about it, but having a big screen with footie would have ruined things.
    You are there for the music or you are there for the music......

Of course I'm going to Electric Picnic for the music- but it just so happened that the date for the final had to be pushed back a week with the Pope coming and unfortunately EP and the final have fallen on the same weekend- football is something I've followed for years so I don't plan on missing the most important match of the season, I was just asking if it would be shown or would I have to make other arrangements! Of course not at the main stage, I wouldn't expect that at all but I believe that the atmosphere tof watching the All Ireland Final would be a great addition to EP! Just my opinion😊
    Didn't think it was the pope's making but I could be wrong! Thought that GAA had agreed to rejig the dates to protect the club's/eat less into club championship etc? But I'm not an expert on matters GAA.
    There will be opportunities to see GAA in EP, fear not.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The big screen in 2015 was great for the GAA matches, I'd love to see it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

screen in the cinema tent in the early years was great too, brilliant atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've been to EP 4 times. Always travel up the M9, then into Athy and onto Stradbally. Never had an issue with traffic. I've heard of horror stories of people coming from the M7 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Poorside wrote: »
    Does any know if all entrances and car parks are open for the early birds on Thursday? And, will there be Gardai in point duty at that stage?

Last year just the green car park was open when I went down around 7/8

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I've been to EP 4 times. Always travel up the M9, then into Athy and onto Stradbally. Never had an issue with traffic. I've heard of horror stories of people coming from the M7 though.

I travel the whole way up the M7 never had issues. I leave early enough to beat the traffic. Aim to be there before 9am and be nicely buzzed by noon.

haitens wrote: »

That’ll do nicely thanks,
    Do you know if the paintball eantrance open?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

That's a Shane as he's probably my most anticipated act (his last three albums are all brilliant to me), really looking forward to Peggy Gou and Mount Kimbie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

Question about the carparks actually. Last 2 years I've been camping in Hendrix and always got directed to park in the red car park. This year were in pink moon, is there a way you can drive to end up at the green car park? Going on last year's map it's obviously closer to the pink moon site so less walking.

Ricey92 wrote: »
    Question about the carparks actually. Last 2 years I've been camping in Hendrix and always got directed to park in the red car park. This year were in pink moon, is there a way you can drive to end up at the green car park? Going on last year's map it's obviously closer to the pink moon site so less walking.

They try to get you into the red car park, but if you come through stradbally I think you can get into the green one. It’s certainly much handier for PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yep, go through Stradbally village and you'll have a much better chance of getting into the car parks on that side. if coming from Dublin, get onto the M9 when it splits from the M7, go through Athy and into Stradbally and swing a right onto the main street.

yep, go through Stradbally village and you'll have a much better chance of getting into the car parks on that side. if coming from Dublin, get onto the M9 when it splits from the M7, go through Athy and into Stradbally and swing a right onto the main street.

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I’m prepared to get shot for this, but I wonder are the 1975 a shout? Of all that ‘type’ of band, I think they deserve a bit of respect. Two new songs they’ve released are very enjoyable (and very poppy) and I’d like to see them live again.

Suggestion seems to be a live return in October but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That’s usually the best route for anyone looking to get to the yellow as well (for Harvest Moon boutique)

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I’m prepared to get shot for this, but I wonder are the 1975 a shout? Of all that ‘type’ of band, I think they deserve a bit of respect. Two new songs they’ve released are very enjoyable (and very poppy) and I’d like to see them live again.

Suggestion seems to be a live return in October but who knows.

Didn’t they play 2 years ago?

Didn’t they play 2 years ago?

3 I believe, so only 1 album in. Late afternoon in Electric arena on the Saturday if memory serves..

Easy Rod wrote: »
    3 I believe, so only 1 album in. Late afternoon in Electric arena on the Saturday if memory serves..

They played the main stage 2 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Yeah they clashed with Jenny greene...and Todd terje .... I think ?

Ah I was actually thinking of their 2014 set in Electric arena. My bad.

I guess that means they play every two years so nailed on for 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

haitens wrote: »

Yellow wasnt open last year on the thursday night. Parked at red as had to get wristbands there anyway even if we had got parked at yellow. Tweeted them to see if same this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'd prefer if the 1975 weren't in the next announcement. They're a big enough band to lead the final bunch of bands, and I'd be disappointed if a band I have no time for were in there.

Starting to think they're nailed on though.

• Advertisement

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the 1975 weren't in the next announcement. They're a big enough band to lead the final bunch of bands, and I'd be disappointed if a band I have no time for were in there.

Starting to think they're nailed on though.

You mean tomorrow’s announcement?
    There’s a slim chance Arcade Fire could play, they have nothing that weekend and there seems to be a bit of crossover with Pukklepop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement