Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

ricerocket wrote: »
    "We can't wait to welcome Massive Attack back to Electric Picnic! Who remembers their 2010 performance?"
    I'd say organisers are hoping no-one can remember as there was a downpour and the crowd deserted the main stage - check out the YouTube videos and you'll see the rain teeming down and you'll hear people chatting in the "crowd" - the music barely audible in the background.  Not surprised if MA asked the organisers to give them a push this time around!

I thought it was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

declanleo wrote: »
    "We can't wait to welcome Massive Attack back to Electric Picnic! Who remembers their 2010 performance?"
    I'd say organisers are hoping no-one can remember as there was a downpour and the crowd deserted the main stage - check out the YouTube videos and you'll see the rain teeming down and you'll hear people chatting in the "crowd" - the music barely audible in the background.  Not surprised if MA asked the organisers to give them a push this time around!

I thought it was quality.
    I'd say it was a 50:50 thing, those that stayed enjoyed it and those that left (including me), left for a reason.  I'll put up with a bit of rain but an act need to be absolutely top drawer and pumping out the energy for me to stick around through a downpour.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Dunno where you were, but the crowd around us were loving it, sound was fine, and MA were making light of it throughout the set. One of the best and most memorable performances of any EP, if you weren't afraid of a bit of rain.

That's my recollection too. Was rammed packed where I stood and everyone loving it despite getting soaked. It was a terrific show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Think it rained in 06 also? Or maybe that was for New Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I enjoyed Massive Attack too, but was so badly prepared, just in a hoodie and jeans, so was absolutely drenched, left after Unfinished Sympathy as I figured when they are doing the old school classics it was quite near the end of their set anyway. But I had to find some shelter after enjoying the snug Electric Arena for Fever Ray, it was that same epic rainfall like on the Sunday at Life Festival 2014. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Unprepared?! You sound like Mr. Prepared?! How'd that happen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

:Could the hold up be these gigs in Trinity? Maybe Grace Jones, Brian Ferry, Imelda May, and Gavin James are to blame.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I think we've already established that it's Gavin's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Bah, I'd really prefer if none of the Trinity people turned up. Bored of Grace Jones at this stage, no interest in Bryan Ferry, despise Gavin James' music

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

Kings of Leon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

davew121 wrote: »
    Kings of Leon!!

Would be absolutely amazing but highly doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Bah, I'd really prefer if none of the Trinity people turned up. Bored of Grace Jones at this stage, no interest in Bryan Ferry, despise Gavin James' music

To paraphrase a Mr. Samuel Johnson, When a man is tired of Grace Jones, he is tired of life.

I'd say it was a 50:50 thing, those that stayed enjoyed it and those that left (including me), left for a reason.  I'll put up with a bit of rain but an act need to be absolutely top drawer and pumping out the energy for me to stick around through a downpour.

It was top drawer for me. Amazing atmos despite the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

It was top drawer for me. Amazing atmos despite the rain

Reminds me to add a couple of rain ponchos to the packing list.

haitens wrote: »
    :Could the hold up be these gigs in Trinity? Maybe Grace Jones, Brian Ferry, Imelda May, and Gavin James are to blame.:)

I was thinking that during the week. To be fair,Gavin James never came to mind. I'd be disappointed if they were the reason for a hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was thinking that during the week. To be fair,Gavin James never came to mind. I'd be disappointed if they were the reason for a hold up

I thought the same myself after hearing a radio ad for his gig this weekend in Trinity. Maybe announcing he'll be at EP will affect the sales for the Trinity gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

davew121 wrote: »
    Kings of Leon!!

I’d be surprised to see them at ep for a number of reasons but they are available as they headline reading/Leeds the week before and what prob fit into what eoghan McDermott was hinting at last week. Not sure how well they’d go down tho plus doesn’t make sense why they wouldn’t have been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Having a few sneaky Monday pints, Waterboys Bang on the ear is playing, jaysus I’d love them to play

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

I highly doubt Kings of Leon will be added. They'd be a bigger draw than either Massive Attack or N.E.R.D. I've seen them a few times and enjoyed them each time, but I think I'd be disappointed.. probably because I've seen them so often. Herself would love it though, so it'd be a win.

The drip feed of filler announcements is speeding up to a trickle/steady stream. Big news incoming shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Hopefully Public Service Broadcasting will be added playing Electric Fields the same weekend, raging I missed them last year

• Advertisement

I think we'll get body and soul today. Gut feeling based on their Instagram post yesterday and the timing compared to recent years. There will then be a second announcement on Thursday (Hopefully the main announcement)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

There will then be a second announcement on Thursday (Hopefully the main announcement)

We're only getting one more main arena announcement.

We're only getting one more main arena announcement.

Looks that way. I think it will be this week or early next week at latest. Thursday makes sense to me if 3 are releasing last tickets on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Gaslight Anthem at Vicar St last night was mental. Brought me back about 25 years to sweaty packed venues seeing the likes of the Ramones, Damned, Pogues and that. Inside the venue felt like about 1000 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Heavy longshot but Kasabian have a EP shaped hole in their tour schedule. Have just announced the weekend before in Brixton.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Heavy longshot but Kasabian have a EP shaped hole in their tour schedule. Have just announced the weekend before in Brixton.
    They're playing Belfast on 20 August so unlikely to do two "Irish" gigs in the space of two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

They're playing Belfast on 20 August so unlikely to do two "Irish" gigs in the space of two weeks?

Isn't that the rearranged gig from their cancellation last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Isn't that the rearranged gig from their cancellation last year?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Davydeath

Kasabian are playing Shanghai on the 29th, according to their website, so they can be ruled out once and for all ... thank god!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

New additions to Picnic, Gaeltacht campsite and Scouts Jambori

Not sure how I feel about them, Gaeltacht is good, less campsite area isn't great Screenshot (3).png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement