Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

AFAIK the Portugal version is different as it's held in a grassy park area surrounded by trees. can't imagine there's much Trailer Park type stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Yes. Little grass there so it ends up being tough on your spine. There's also an indoor seated auditorium with decent acts on where you can sometimes chill & rest your back but you have to queue for it, and often for lengthy periods. The beer is also expensive & I from what I remember the food wasn't great (last there in 2010 so I could be very wrong). However, the negative aspects of it are balanced out by having a long weekend in Barcelona and there being usually the best European line-up. All other festivals have a fair bit of dross (Glasto included). Primavera has hardly any.

Food was fine, not much to write home about but I was having two meals in Barcelona before going near the festival site so wasn't the worst.

Beer is Heineken but was the same as EP at €6 from what I recall. Cheaper again if you have the VIP pass apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

So what are people's past Picnic highlights?

Battles 2015 was my favourite gig ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Only caught half of that but it was pretty fab. Stayed in that tent for Mos Def & Jon Hopkins afterwards, the latter superb.

Overall highlights are many indeed but a few are Kraftwerk, Cure, Bad Seeds, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Mercury Rev, John Grant (with Sinead O'Connor), Arcade Fire (2005 set), Portishead, Matthew E White, Antony & the Johnsons, Stooges, LCD Soundsystem (every set), My Bloody Valentine (2008), Wilco, That Petrol Emotion, Pet Shop Boys (2006 Electric Arena), Magazine, Jesus & Mary Chain, MGMT, Leftfield, Public Image Limited, Sparks, Steve Earle, Public Enemy, The Rapture, Grandaddy, Father John Misty, Antlers, Tindersticks (2008), Michael Kiwanuka, Blue Nile (2006) and so many many more. And even more to come.

Only caught half of that but it was pretty fab. Stayed in that tent for Mos Def & Jon Hopkins afterwards, the latter superb.

Overall highlights are many indeed but a few are Kraftwerk, Cure, Bad Seeds, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Mercury Rev, John Grant (with Sinead O'Connor), Arcade Fire (2005 set), Portishead, Matthew E White, Antony & the Johnsons, Stooges, LCD Soundsystem (every set), My Bloody Valentine (2008), Wilco, That Petrol Emotion, Pet Shop Boys (2006 Electric Arena), Magazine, Jesus & Mary Chain, MGMT, Leftfield, Public Image Limited, Sparks, Steve Earle, Public Enemy, The Rapture, Grandaddy, Father John Misty, Antlers, Tindersticks (2008), Michael Kiwanuka, Blue Nile (2006) and so many many more. And even more to come.

There's a band I've never managed to catch live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Bring your ear plugs!
    I saw them 'in the day' in Belfast, when they were in their hey day, late 80's/early 90's I think.
    Probably the loudest gig I've ever been to, but it was in the tiny Mandela Hall, too, which probably didn't help.
    Had tinnitus for days afterwards. Will never forget the gig. "Wall of noise", and indeed, it was as much a sensory experience - you could "feel the music"!
    More or less missed them when they did a Friday night at EP, a few years ago, but could hear them from a distance, as I walked in to the festival. It was just lovely!! 
    I would love them again. Now, if they could bring some of their fellow 'genre-mates' like JAMC, Ride, Slowdive, then we'd be having some big fun!

There's a band I've never managed to catch live!
    They returned in 2013, on the main stage, and were again excellent. According to Consequence of Sound & Pitchfork they may have a new album out in 2018 & thus a chance of a return. But given Shields' procrastination I'll believe it when I see it.

mgkelly wrote: »
    Bring your ear plugs!
    I saw them 'in the day' in Belfast, when they were in their hey day, late 80's/early 90's I think.
    Probably the loudest gig I've ever been to, but it was in the tiny Mandela Hall, too, which probably didn't help.
    Had tinnitus for days afterwards. Will never forget the gig. "Wall of noise", and indeed, it was as much a sensory experience - you could "feel the music"!
    More or less missed them when they did a Friday night at EP, a few years ago, but could hear them from a distance, as I walked in to the festival. It was just lovely!! 
    I would love them again. Now, if they could bring some of their fellow 'genre-mates' like JAMC, Ride, Slowdive, then we'd be having some big fun!

*Drools*

The National in 2010 jumps to mind immediately. First time seeing my favourite band live and they were excellent. John Grant (2011) was excellent.

2014, the double header of Tune-Yards and Young Fathers on Body & Soul was exceptional, and the War on Drugs and My Morning Jacket (both 2015) stick out in my mind too.

The National in 2010 jumps to mind immediately. First time seeing my favourite band live and they were excellent. John Grant (2011) was excellent.

2014, the double header of Tune-Yards and Young Fathers on Body & Soul was exceptional, and the War on Drugs and My Morning Jacket (both 2015) stick out in my mind too.

Wasn't that excellent? Rainy & windy, almost stormy, but that only added to the atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Wasn't that excellent? Rainy & windy, almost stormy, but that only added to the atmosphere.

I was right up the front - Matt Berninger used my head for balance when climbing into the crowd (how's THAT for a claim to fame? :p) - and it was just incredible.

Pouring rain, crowd going nuts for a band reaching an entirely new height in terms of their popularity. Have seen them half a dozen times since and they only bettered it once!!

Just had a thing in my inbox about a festival that Sigur Ros are organising in Iceland in late Dec, & they have an eclectic mix, including Jarvis Cocker, Kevin Shields (of MBV) & Mogwai, amongst others. Now, that would be tasty, but a) I am working over that period & b) wouldn't it really be a bit mad to go to Iceland at that time of year for a festival?!
    Still, one can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

wouldn't it really be a bit mad to go to Iceland at that time of year for a festival?

monkey6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Benicassim is 30,000 according to efestivals.co.uk and festivalmag.com, the two most reliable sources I've found when researching fests. In terms of a Benicassim stage (undoubtedly the main stage) having a 30k capacity that's probably true. I'd also expect the EP main stage has a capacity of 55k should the entire fest decide to watch the headliner, uncomfortable though that would be. I'd expect it to be a health & safety stipulation to cover that situation.

And let's face it, an event on the Castellón coast or in Barcelona are always going to be more glamorous than a soggy field in Laois, but we still get people travelling distances to get to Stradbally. The EP lineups have historically compared very favourably to similar or larger sized fests elsewhere in Europe.

In 2005 I watched Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, Royksōpp & Kraftwerk in succession at the EA. In 2007 we had the Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, LCD Soundsystem, Jesus & Mary Chain, Bjork, The Stooges & many more, three of those it's now no longer possible to see. 2015 was Blur, Manics, Interpol, Underworld, Mos Def, Despacio, Tame Impala, War on Drugs & many other top acts. Look back over the lineups and every year has some pretty special stuff.

We don't ever match the stunning Primavera lineups, but how can anybody else compete given their sponsorship deals with Heineken, Red Bull & others alongside the funds they get from the city of Barcelona & Catalan government. Bear that in mind when downgrading EP, and realise that for all its faults Oxegen also had great lineups but similarly wasn't well known throughout Europe or North America. Maybe we're not shouting loudly enough?

You do realise Heineken and Red Bull also sponsor EP? Not to mention the other sponsors they have. EP is not exactly strapped for cash so that's an invalid defence. And yes, I fully agree that there has been some special stuff on the line-up over the years but you can't deny the decline. Maybe that's why your most recent citation was 2015

That has nothing to do with it being a "soggy field in Laois" (weather and fields don't stop people going in their droves to British festivals) or that we're not shouting loud enough or whatever. When it comes down to it, the quality has declined and that's just a fact.
    EP tickets are around an extra 30-50 euro too, maybe acts are charging more but it seems to have only weakened FR festivals not any of the European ones like Primavera or Best Kept Secret

As per the above discussion Primavera has local & regional government money which ensures a regular stunning lineup, though I thought personally that this year was a bit flat. And PS provides for nothing beyond the music. Also factor in how much B&S, Trenchtown, Mindfield, Comedy tent, etc cost EP.

Best Kept Secret seems a bit top-heavy in terms of acts, great headliners but a poor mid & lower range. Albeit with two stunning headliners this year. Overall though I'd have EP as slightly better than both this year. But usually way behind PS.
    I agree there was some great acts at EP this year but I think if you take the top 50 or so acts from each lineup then it would come in third for me (which maybe that says more about my music taste than anything). My point was that  due to selling out festival republic clearly skimped on the lineup this year compared to previous years (maybe to compensate the poor sales of V Festival?) which all had the same side attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just had a thing in my inbox about a festival that Sigur Ros are organising in Iceland in late Dec, & they have an eclectic mix, including Jarvis Cocker, Kevin Shields (of MBV) & Mogwai, amongst others. Now, that would be tasty, but a) I am working over that period & b) wouldn't it really be a bit mad to go to Iceland at that time of year for a festival?!
    Still, one can dream.

Might be ok if it's indoors. Iceland have actually put out a fair few decent bands for such a tiny country Bjork, Sigur Ros, Kiasmos, Of Monsters and Men, Asgeir etc. I think the population is only around 300,000.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Still, one can dream.

Might be ok if it's indoors. Iceland have actually put out a fair few decent bands for such a tiny country Bjork, Sigur Ros, Kiasmos, Of Monsters and Men, Asgeir etc. I think the population is only around 300,000.
    That's about right r.e. population. And yes, it is indoors, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭deeks

Missed Fr. John Misty this year as had to head off early on Sunday but just picked up a couple of tickets for his gig in Vicar Street in May so don't feel so bad now :-)

Benicassim is 30,000 according to efestivals.co.uk and festivalmag.com, the two most reliable sources I've found when researching fests. In terms of a Benicassim stage (undoubtedly the main stage) having a 30k capacity that's probably true. I'd also expect the EP main stage has a capacity of 55k should the entire fest decide to watch the headliner, uncomfortable though that would be. I'd expect it to be a health & safety stipulation to cover that situation.

And let's face it, an event on the Castellón coast or in Barcelona are always going to be more glamorous than a soggy field in Laois, but we still get people travelling distances to get to Stradbally. The EP lineups have historically compared very favourably to similar or larger sized fests elsewhere in Europe.

In 2005 I watched Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, Royksōpp & Kraftwerk in succession at the EA. In 2007 we had the Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, LCD Soundsystem, Jesus & Mary Chain, Bjork, The Stooges & many more, three of those it's now no longer possible to see. 2015 was Blur, Manics, Interpol, Underworld, Mos Def, Despacio, Tame Impala, War on Drugs & many other top acts. Look back over the lineups and every year has some pretty special stuff.

We don't ever match the stunning Primavera lineups, but how can anybody else compete given their sponsorship deals with Heineken, Red Bull & others alongside the funds they get from the city of Barcelona & Catalan government. Bear that in mind when downgrading EP, and realise that for all its faults Oxegen also had great lineups but similarly wasn't well known throughout Europe or North America. Maybe we're not shouting loudly enough?

You do realise Heineken and Red Bull also sponsor EP? Not to mention the other sponsors they have. EP is not exactly strapped for cash so that's an invalid defence. And yes, I fully agree that there has been some special stuff on the line-up over the years but you can't deny the decline. Maybe that's why your most recent citation was 2015

That has nothing to do with it being a "soggy field in Laois" (weather and fields don't stop people going in their droves to British festivals) or that we're not shouting loud enough or whatever. When it comes down to it, the quality has declined and that's just a fact.
    EP tickets are around an extra 30-50 euro too, maybe acts are charging more but it seems to have only weakened FR festivals not any of the European ones like Primavera or Best Kept Secret

As per the above discussion Primavera has local & regional government money which ensures a regular stunning lineup, though I thought personally that this year was a bit flat. And PS provides for nothing beyond the music. Also factor in how much B&S, Trenchtown, Mindfield, Comedy tent, etc cost EP.

Best Kept Secret seems a bit top-heavy in terms of acts, great headliners but a poor mid & lower range. Albeit with two stunning headliners this year. Overall though I'd have EP as slightly better than both this year. But usually way behind PS.
    I agree there was some great acts at EP this year but I think if you take the top 50 or so acts from each lineup then it would come in third for me (which maybe that says more about my music taste than anything). My point was that  due to selling out festival republic clearly skimped on the lineup this year compared to previous years (maybe to compensate the poor sales of V Festival?) which all had the same side attractions.

Fair enough re Picnic as third best. But I don't think they skimped on acts. ATCQ also headlined Bestival & unlikely to be cheap. The XX subbed for Radiohead at Glasto & have headlined loads of other fests. Duran Duran approximately €300k to €400k according to their bookers. And the undercard was hugely impressive I thought with a lot of expensive acts.

I'd personally have preferred other hesdliners but maybe the timing wasn't right (Arcade Fire, Aphex Twin) or too costly (Radiohead).

However, FR have got stick for the choice of headliners so it may be a more conventional rock-indie feel next year.

deeks wrote: »
    Missed Fr. John Misty this year as had to head off early on Sunday but just picked up a couple of tickets for his gig in Vicar Street in May so don't feel so bad now :-)

Reckon that means he's nailed on for Primavera Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Forums gone a bit quiet, maybe that's because the picnic is nearly a whole year away. Anyone want to play a game?

What's your ultimate band, past or present youd think would suit the picnic crowd?

Mine has to be Pink Floyd. Imagine hearing Gilmore do the solo from comfortably numb live? Or seeing a big walk getting knocked? Who dosent love a bit of destruction!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

endainoz wrote: »
    Forums gone a bit quiet, maybe that's because the picnic is nearly a whole year away. Anyone want to play a game?

What's your ultimate band, past or present youd think would suit the picnic crowd?

Mine has to be Pink Floyd. Imagine hearing Gilmore do the solo from comfortably numb live? Or seeing a big walk getting knocked? Who dosent love a bit of destruction!?

Gilmour seems to be harder to get, I think he prefers indoor gigs apart from Pompeii that is, I don't think he's played festival sets in a long time. I thought there might be a chance when the Picnic scooped Robert Plant in 2013. Waters show looks to be too big to fit on the EP main stage, it would be cool though if they could get one of these.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would have to be Fleetwood Mac for me, haven't seen them live before so would be incredible to see them at EP. Can just imagine the entire crowd belting out The Chain at the top of their lungs. Hard to imagine them not appealing to a lot of people attending EP, even the young ones would recognise a good chunk of their songs you would think. Teasing myself unfortunately as I would think it is very unlikely at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would have to be Fleetwood Mac for me, haven't seen them live before so would be incredible to see them at EP. Can just imagine the entire crowd belting out The Chain at the top of their lungs. Hard to imagine them not appealing to a lot of people attending EP, even the young ones would recognise a good chunk of their songs you would think. Teasing myself unfortunately as I would think it is very unlikely at this stage!

Not really, the Isle of Wight festival booked them a few years ago, thats about the same size as EP is it not.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not really, the Isle of Wight festival booked them a few years ago, thats about the same size as EP is it not.

Crap 2015 sounds like ages ago. I thought it was only last year they played there :o. Only when you said a 'few years ago'..

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Dunno about the ultimate as regards suitability for the crowd but reckon Festival Republic have a duty to book the greatest Irish artist of contemporary times in Van Morrison at some stage.

With a stipulation to play Astral Weeks in it's entirety obviously.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Dunno about the ultimate as regards suitability for the crowd but reckon Festival Republic have a duty to book the greatest Irish artist of contemporary times in Van Morrison at some stage.

Amen.

And he played Primavera this year so not immune to fests. Also used to be a Glasto regular. Time for Van.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

They should just give LCD Soundsystem a resident headline slot for the next 10 years. That'd do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Tago Mago wrote: »

*Shudder*

Personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

kg703 wrote: »
    *Shudder*

Personal opinion

You are not alone... the recorded music is generally great, but I have seen him live a couple of times and he does "lack a degree of personality" (to put it mildly).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

My ideal Picnic headliners would be most of the headliners that have already played there since 2004, only this time I wouldn't be off my face in the woods or rolling around outside the dance tent.

I've no regrets as such, they were all fantastic memories (that I can't remember), but looking back on the bands I missed makes me shudder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement