Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Just a thought here. A lot on here have said that the delay may be to do with trying to sabotage ATN. Could it be the other way round? Could ATN have pulled the rug in terms of mid level & smaller acts? Got them before EP? It's not like Reynolds only started thinking about acts when ATN was first announced. Obviously been in planning quite some time.

I know smaller acts aren't asked till late July early August by the Picnic and I know one band who have played Stradbally previously and were in talks to play again this year but have recently been announced for ATN.

As I say, just a thought while I have too much time on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

PinkCamper wrote: »
    The difference is - this time two years ago tickets were selling for 300+ on donedeal. One year ago they were selling for 100 quid the week before, and this year they’re selling at face value now, and you’ll pick one up for nothing as the weeks go by. The exclusivity of an EP ticket has vanished.

Inevitable I think with the sheer number of tickets out there. With 55,000 people going there are always going to be people whose plans change. And, of course, opportunistic buyers/touts.
    EP will continue to sell out. The reliable strength of the line-up (pretty sure it'll look much more impressive in a week's time) and the TV coverage ensures it'll remain the most sought after musical event in the country.
    Now when can we start discussing the early September weather?

thebusher wrote: »
    Just a thought here. A lot on here have said that the delay may be to do with trying to sabotage ATN. Could it be the other way round? Could ATN have pulled the rug in terms of mid level & smaller acts? Got them before EP? It's not like Reynolds only started thinking about acts when ATN was first announced. Obviously been in planning quite some time.

I know smaller acts aren't asked till late July early August by the Picnic and I know one band who have played Stradbally previously and were in talks to play again this year but have recently been announced for ATN.

As I say, just a thought while I have too much time on my hands.

There could be an element of that. But a fair few of the upper tier of ATN played EP last year so unlikely to return. Plus I really don't think there are many acts at ATN who the Picnic will be bothered about missing out on. I see it as a relatively poor lineup though there are some very decent bands playing. Weather holds out and it could be a very fine weekend but simply not enough there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Now when can we start discussing the early September weather?

Late August

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

One act I haven't seen mentioned a whole lot, if at all on here, are Two Door Cinema Club. They have nothing on the weekend of EP and would fit the mid level/sub headline act. Didn't they close the main stage after Bjork a few years back? They're a band that get a good bit of radio play here too, and from the two times I've seen them, put on a good show.
    Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

As I say, just a thought while I have too much time on my hands.[/quote good suggestion buy I don't think so as nearly all the acts at atn have played ep or life festival at some stage or other... Its a lineup that I don't think bothers ep too much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Wondering about the weather starts next week

As per post#1

Q - What's the long term weather forecast?
    A - There will be weather. No semi accurate forecast worth a damn is available until about a week leading up to it with properly accurate forecasts in the days leading up. All that we know is that snow is unlikely and a tornado would be rare.
    Anyone claiming otherwise is either a fibber or too busy poking round in chicken entrails to seek aid with their delusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

With the ground being so dry, wellies prob unnecessary. It would have to pour rain for the whole of August to create mud. Having said that, I’ll still be wearing mine

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

With the ground being so dry, wellies prob unnecessary. It would have to pour rain for the whole of August to create mud. Having said that, I’ll still be wearing mine

It's usually pretty solid underfoot there regardless. Decent pair of runners should cover you and are far better on your feet than wellies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Well that just put a pox on it ...

• Advertisement

It's usually pretty solid underfoot there regardless. Decent pair of runners should cover you and are far better on your feet than wellies

Yeah, the main arena has been reliably good over the years. Only got very muddy one year from my recollection (2010?) when they had to close off the route from the main stage to the EA. It's probably so dry right now that it won't churn up even with lots of August rain. And yeah, I'm ready for the backlash if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Yeah, the main arena has been reliably good over the years. Only got very muddy one year from my recollection (2010?) when they had to close off the route from the main stage to the EA. It's probably so dry right now that it won't churn up even with lots of August rain. And yeah, I'm ready for the backlash if it does.

Massive Attack headliners both years. Rain confirmed.

Looking back at 2010 - God that's a lineup...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

No matter how dry it seems, always have some sort of waterproof footwear.

I’ll always treasure the look of utter disgust and horror on the face of the poor bastard wearing converse runners the first year I went to EP,

He bounded into the pisser area that was at the end of the food stalls at the time, down to the far end of the piss pots in the dark and found himself in very soggy ground with about an inch of overflowed wee pooling round his feet.

Bet that was a squelchy walk to a tent that he will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not necessarily a lot of rain onto very dry ground can create problems. Dry, compacted soils mean that rainfall is less easily absorbed into the ground and presents a higher risk of water pooling and floods. So if we were to get a lot of rain it could be an issue.

Hopefully not though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

announcement today, I can feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That's the spirit champ!
    You go right out there, put on your biggest smile, and say "Goshdarnit - It's gonna happen for me today, I just know it"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

No doubt. It will probably be to tell us about a pop up credit union or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

No doubt. It will probably be to tell us about a pop up credit union or something.

No Doubt!!!! Now that would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

HAHA :D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,638 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pop up origami stall ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

We'll get one of B and S or the Main today I reckon. That'll be it for the week. Tommorow 3 will probably release details of their area along with the last of tickets. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

That’s absolute gold! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I could see myself considering a loan at some point over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I think if it was today there would be somebody on the radio saying .. we have big EP news coming later etc

In saying that I’ve let go of all anger and moved onto praying the weather is good and dreading the thought of carrying all the gear in on my own. Husband was refused leave. Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

We'll get one of B and S or the Main today I reckon. That'll be it for the week. Tommorow 3 will probably release details of their area along with the last of tickets. IMO

Not a chance son.

No Doubt!!!! Now that would be awesome!

Oh jaysus yeah.

Certainly going to get Weller, Happy Monday’s and James today. 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

These lads celebrate the announcement of opening a packet of crisps. If they had anyone decent to announce it’d be out by now. Gav James fans can rejoice of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Waiting for these EP announcements.... I have always expected mediocrity and I have not been disappointed yet.

Waiting for these EP announcements.... I have always expected mediocrity and I have not been disappointed yet.

What stage do you reckon they’ll play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

kg703 wrote: »
    I could see myself considering a loan at some point over the weekend

I won't need a loan. I get all my stuff on tick!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement