Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

As the weekend fast approaches I'm a bit gutted I'm not doing ATN. It's definitely on the cards next year. I'll possibly take a break from EP. Nothing to do with anything other than a bit of change of scenery. And being an old codger I couldn't do 2 festivals in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Going to ATN too, site looks amazing.

If the weather holds & there's not much issues getting to and from site i think it will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭roll

Going to ATN with a view to it taking over from EP. This year's carry on is starting to leave a bad taste....

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Same as above..... ATN this year. Gave my EP ticket to my niece.

Really looking forward to this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Also going to ATN this weekend, weather looks good and won't be freezing at 2am like you would be at ep. Have a ticket for ep as well, it'll be interesting to compare both. Unimpressed with all the ep announcement fellafle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Going to Castlepalooza, haven't been in a few years so will be interested to see if the vibe has changed at all.  It's looking like ideal weather conditions...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ricey92 wrote: »
    €120 euro for a "fine dining experience". What a load of ****e.

You can get a three course lunch in l'ecrivan for €45, and it'll be made from restaurant supplier meats rather than supermarket meats. You could then give the rest of the money to temple street yourself.

I would imagine that this is aimed at people who would like the idea of eating a swanky dinner on a silver service table while the plebs in their tents look on in wonder. They are hoping to sell all the tickets on the basis that there will be a lot of glitterati types who want to be seen at it. I really hope that this doesn't sell well at all, meaning no disrepsect to Temple Street Children's Hospital who do great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

ricerocket wrote: »
    Decided over the weekend that this will be my last 12th and last EP.  Can't say that it's 100% because of the faffing around with announcements but its certainly a factor.  Just get the sense that the organisers don't really value the goodwill that had been built up over the years.
    I'm the same, 12 years and have an amazing time down there over the years, but i just think the last couple of years with it selling out and the effect its had on the quality of the lineup, and especially this years pissing about has taken the good out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Why are people compaining about the charity dining thing now? They had it last year also and possibly before then.

edit : the fine dining has been there since 2014.
    https://www.electricpicnic.ie/history/electric-picnic-2014

Plenty to whinge about with the delay in acts but popping at the charity bits seems kinda churlish.

Why are people compaining about the charity dining thing now? They had it last year also and possibly before then.

It's probably a symptom of all things EP18..... It'll probably all be forgotten come Thursday afternoon August 31st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think its borne moreover out of a sense of frustration, that we are awaiting a large musical announcement and we are getting ones about dinners or an Irish segment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

roll wrote: »
    It's probably a symptom of all things EP18..... It'll probably all be forgotten come Thursday afternoon August 31st

you still livin in 2017?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Plenty to whinge about with the delay in acts but popping at the charity bits seems kinda churlish.

Because in other years if you didn't fancy paying €120 for dinner you could choose instead to go see bands playing music. That's why some people unofficially called Electric Picnic "a music festival" in times gone by!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think its borne moreover out of a sense of frustration, that we are awaiting a large musical announcement and we are getting ones about dinners or an Irish segment

This is exactly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Davysulls86

Because in other years if you didn't fancy paying €120 for dinner you could choose instead to go see bands playing music. That's why some people unofficially called Electric Picnic "a music festival" in times gone by!

It's always been a "music and arts festival"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Im off to Beatyard this weekend. Got the tickets when they did the half price sale for like 2 months. 75 quid, 3 days of music and a 30/40 minute walk back to my gaff. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I’m starting to get serious ATN FOMO. The weather looks to be cracking. How much would I love to be heading over to Groove Armada in the wee hours after Underworld... it’s not feasible this year with childcare and after shelling out for pink moon etc. So curious to hear the reviews and hopefully go along next year.

you still livin in 2017?

don't be so picky Scruff-its Monday! In any case my mrs reckons I'm still living in the late 80s... She may be right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Also heading down to ATN this weekend and really looking forward to it. Looking at it now it seems to tick all of the boxes for a festival: Bank holiday weekend, booze into the arena, over 21s, good acts, good food, apparently beautiful location.. So will be interesting to see if all goes according to plan!

Of the other festivals on this weekend I have been to Castlepalooza a couple of times and Beatyard once, always felt Castlepalooza was an under rated festival with a great atmosphere but has had really bad weather most years I've gone and generally just books Irish acts, Beatyard has a brilliant lineup this year and is conveniently located if you live in Dublin, the year I went I felt there was not much to it other than the main stage though.

At least this weekends festivals will take our minds off the frustration towards EP for a little while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Because we've a pain in our hoop waiting on music acts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'm off to ATN too. Booked because my missus is a massive Prince fan and she couldn't pass up the opportunity to see New Power Generation playing. Initially didn't think there was too much for me on the line up but you know yourself, dig in to the acts and there's plenty of stuff you never knew about that looks exciting. Site amazing, weather looking great, all very exciting. Takes the edge off the EP nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Beatyard Friday night for a bit of the Jacksons then heading to Waterford for ATN . Dying for the weekend to hurry the hell up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Damn, that dinner now obligatory? Hope I don't miss Kendrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

We're off to ATN also after having been at Castlepalooza for the last number of years, would have gone back to CP but for wanting to try out ATN this year. The beatyard lineup was great this year but I really didn't like the overall vibe and location of the festival the last time I was there. Walking around on the concrete all day takes it out of your legs and there wasn't nearly enough space to sit down and chill out. They could have done a lot more with the areas inside the building but they all seemed to close early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

We're off to ATN too. Excited to try something new and different, closer to home, smaller capacity, hopefully an older crowd. I'm hoping there isn't too many teething problems as the location and what they're projecting the general "vibe" of the festival to be, sounds really promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Really interested to hear next week how you all find the traffic in and out of ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I know there hasn't been the second main announcement yet and a lot of folk say its a stunt for an upcoming album (Which would be amazing too) but I also hope it is a tour announcement also and Piccy is one of the venues. This piece of art appeared this morning on the wall of the Elephant and Castle Tube station in London. Please play EP Mr Aphex Twin. :)

38130158_10155920100809480_6205352097672593408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b477e79d318322725d5e44a76b602bae&oe=5C0742F9

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Starting to look for a few things for EP. Top of the list is a power bank and trolley (saw posts from earlier, but would prefer a hand truck type).

As its still up in the air if I'll go or not, would want to be purchasing the power bank from within Ireland so that I don't run the chance of any shipping issues (has happened before).

Any one have any recommendations? Ideally looking at a 20000mAh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kentoccfc

Announcements starting from tomorrow, be really interesting to see who's been booked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement