Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Guessing that These Modern Strangers probably pulled the trigger too early on that announcement!

Was probably due out around lunchtime and they posted it an hour early.

Good names on it, though. Mainly the Irish stuff but Super Extra Bonus Party, Bad Bones, Bitch Falcon, Daithi, Fontaines DC, O Emperor, RSAG, Pillow Queens and Soulé are all great.

No standout headline name for the B&S stage though, is there? I remember seeing, say, Tune-Yards and Shamir on there over a couple of years, along with a largely Irish contingent. Seems like it has that Irish element but not the one or two international names.

Exactly, in the past you had the likes of Glass Animals and Tune-Yards playing the B&S stage. Is there any non-Irish acts playing B&S this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Exactly, in the past you had the likes of Glass Animals and Tune-Yards playing the B&S stage. Is there any non-Irish acts playing B&S this year?

Gundelach, Hak Baker, Oscar Jerome, The Brummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

This is from the press release issued - a few non-Irish but certainly nobody of the profile of Glass Animals, Tune-Yards, Young Fathers I don't think... Those in bold are the international acts. There may be others throughout the bill but I didn't go into too much detail.
    Gracing the Body&Soul Stage - famed as a platform for the brightest rising stars - will be electro-pop multi-instrumentalist Youngr, British-folk subverter Hak Baker, the bold and eccentric Ruby Empress, 5 piece Indie-Disco band The Modern Strangers, the hauntingly wistful David Keenan, soulful and honest Lilla Vargen, infectious irish indie-punk band Pillow Queens, Norwegian pop-proponent Gundelach, the dreamy and progressive Halo Maud, jazz-inflected and soulful Oscar Jerome, and lush pop-rock from The Brummies form just part of the musical smorgasbord on offer at the centre of the B&S Village.

I remember not being able to get near the stage a few years ago for, say, Shamir, and huge crowds at LA Priest, amongst others. I'm not as up to date with the current crop (including the above) but will any of those get a similar crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kentoccfc

Reckon we'll get one announcement per day for the rest of the week with the major one being Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Rarely spend time in B&S but some acts there I’d like to see, Soulé, Pillow Queens and Hak Baker would be well worth a look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Gundelach, Hak Baker, Oscar Jerome, The Brummies.

Already on Gundelach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

457160.pngBad bones say they're playing the "soltice" stage In body and soul, is this a new stage name?

David Keenan is doing well. Said it before, he played B&S mainstage last year, some serious noise bleed from the ****ty corporate stands. He couldn't hear himself play and asked the sound engineer to turn up the monitors "they're already up full!!" Replied the guy behind the desk.

I filled in the EP feedback questionnaire after ep17 and absolutely slated the noise bleed as I think most on here did. It would be great to see some improvement on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

31 sleeps

Fatfrog wrote: »
    David Keenan is doing well. Said it before, he played B&S mainstage last year, some serious noise bleed from the ****ty corporate stands. He couldn't hear himself play and asked the sound engineer to turn up the monitors "they're already up full!!" Replied the guy behind the desk.

I filled in the EP feedback questionnaire after ep17 and absolutely slated the noise bleed as I think most on here did. It would be great to see some improvement on this.

Saw him at the Woodlands stage at B&S last month and again there was awful noise bleed (from Samsung Home). really felt for him, but he was still great and had a very good turn out. My SO thanked me for putting him on her list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Noise bleed last year was awful for a supposedly top festival. Had to leave Perfume Genius because of it. Dont expect it to be any better this year. Think EP is outgrowing the space it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Noise bleed last year was awful for a supposedly top festival. Had to leave Perfume Genius because of it. Dont expect it to be any better this year. Think EP is outgrowing the space it has.

They have definitely maximised the existing space they have, not sure about the overall footprint of the site itself and whether there is scope to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 InTheWoods123

They have definitely maximised the existing space they have, not sure about the overall footprint of the site itself and whether there is scope to expand.

No doubt if there was any space left it would be used to maximize profit yield from punters. They’d use it to allow more camping and with that more ticket sales, so rest assured there probably isn’t much left otherwise they’d be capitalizing on it, not creating space between tents and stages for preventing sound bleeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Had only heard of Daithi, O Emperor, RSAG and Bitch Falcon before, not a fan of any of them.

Had a delve into the new names and found a few I'd be interested in seeing: Barq, Gundelach, Hvmmingbyrd, Hak Baker, Halo Maud. Can't say I'm impressed with David Keenan, just seems like another Irish lad with a guitar. We've plenty of those. Ditto Fontaines DC, just bland rock really aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Agorilla is playing the peace pagoda....which is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You'd have to say that's a fairly low-effort lineup from Body and Soul. I mean I love a lot of those artists, but there's definitely less of a focus on looking beyond Ireland than before.

I wonder if it's some combination of not wanting to put that much into EP anymore, or recouping some losses from their own festival last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

MJohnston wrote: »
    You'd have to say that's a fairly low-effort lineup from Body and Soul. I mean I love a lot of those artists, but there's definitely less of a focus on looking beyond Ireland than before.

I wonder if it's some combination of not wanting to put that much into EP anymore, or recouping some losses from their own festival last month.

Or possibly getting ready for a post brexit world where the brits have gone full retard and we don't get the acts anymore...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A lot of the bands played Body and Soul as well, so if anything I would've thought it was potentially damaging to Body and Soul's own festival to put on the same bands in EP.

Did B&S lose money this year? There were a good many people there, albeit that the bars didn't seem to do much trade throughout the weekend!

Should point out I really like the B&S lineup. I like the idea of hanging around there more this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I can't imagine the finances of either would be linked.
    Going by other festivals with similar "curated" stages/areas, EP will probably have given B&S a certain amount of money to book their lineup.

I'd say it's more likely EP have reduced the money available to them (along with ever-increasing artists live fees).

How established is Bad Bones playing B&S? Seems like a bit of an amateur move in 2018 to have the same name as another established band.

• Advertisement

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Had only heard of Daithi, O Emperor, RSAG and Bitch Falcon before, not a fan of any of them.

Had a delve into the new names and found a few I'd be interested in seeing: Barq, Gundelach, Hvmmingbyrd, Hak Baker, Halo Maud. Can't say I'm impressed with David Keenan, just seems like another Irish lad with a guitar. We've plenty of those. Ditto Fontaines DC, just bland rock really aren't they?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fatfrog wrote: »

Really looking forward to seeing him this weekend at ATN.

No.

Fair enough if you haven't heard a hundred other bands that sound like that. Maybe youve never been to Witnness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I can't imagine the finances of either would be linked.
    Going by other festivals with similar "curated" stages/areas, EP will probably have given B&S a certain amount of money to book their lineup.

I'd say it's more likely EP have reduced the money available to them (along with ever-increasing artists live fees).

I'd imagine the way it operates is that Body and Soul get a certain cut of the ticket money, but they still exist as a separate company from Electric Picnic, so they can collect their own fees from the vendors and others operating within their section. And then once they started running the B&S Festival, they could use any profits from that to boost their EP lineup a bit (given that it's a great advertisement for their own festival).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Mucker46

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    Agorilla is playing the peace pagoda....which is nice!

Is that the same gorilla that played drums in the dairy milk ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nilbert99

No.
    I've been trying to not like Fontaines DC, due to the hipster beards and velvet sportsjacket situation. But I find myself enjoying them. The singer lifts them out of what might have ended up as bland rock.

Kodaline have a real EP sized hole in their schedule... I really really really hope they're not added.

Fair enough if you haven't heard a hundred other bands that sound like that. Maybe youve never been to Witnness.

I am not normally into guitar music too much, but a mate of mine brought me along to these guys a few weeks back and boy were they tight and sharp. Had listened to some tracks before hand and they reminded me a bit of The Fall. I like the Fall, but yeah, so what? I thought.

Their live sound is much more interesting and energetic than the recorded stuff.

I never did go to Witnness as it happens, but I have seen many thousands of live bands in the last 35 years or so and these were one of the good ones.

But you have been to Witnness so you have heard them before, hundreds of times it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I was initially disappointed when I first seen the B&S Village lineup, where are the hard hitters or headlining acts, after having Fever Ray, Jon Hopkins and Chronixx at their own festival, they seem to have cut down on the bigger acts for the EP event. Saying that, if I'm about the village will probably go for a look and check these. Bitch Falcon, Bon Voyage (Who were terrific at B&S), Daithi, Fontaines DC (A number of people have recommended them to me, so may check them out.) Pillow Queens, R.S.A.G, Mother DJs, Rub a Dub Hi-Fi, Worries Outernational (The last two there are also regulars of Trenchtown so a bit of reggae in B&S too) Neil Flynn and Justyna Koss for some of my fix of techno.

I notice Attention Bebe is missing from the lineup but I've no doubt that they will appear in another stage like Trailer Park or Hazel Wood.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

Fontaines DC on KEXP sessions, always a good intro to a band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X453ABUQ2rM

cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement