Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Just just heard 69 Police on BBC6. How come David Holmes has never played EP? I think he did a DJ session about a decade ago but has never done his own stuff there nor the Free Association. Would be very welcome as well as a bigger stage for Ash and the debuts of SLF, Therapy? and the Belfast Cowboy. Bring on the Nordies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing him this weekend at ATN.

He's much better suited to small raw acoustic gigs. He's got a really good harmonic technique on the guitar, where he partially touches/hampers the strings, gets lots of different tones, does similar with the Mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Stillill42 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing him this weekend at ATN.

He's much better suited to small raw acoustic gigs. He's got a really good harmonic technique on the guitar, where he partially touches/hampers the strings, gets lots of different tones, does similar with the Mic.
    Yeah I can see how he would be. Love his lyrics and the belt of the Dundalk accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Fair enough if you haven't heard a hundred other bands that sound like that. Maybe youve never been to Witnness.

I'd love more bands that sound like they belong at Witnness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Just just heard 69 Police on BBC6. How come David Holmes has never played EP? I think he did a DJ session about a decade ago but has never done his own stuff there nor the Free Association. Would be very welcome as well as a bigger stage for Ash and the debuts of SLF, Therapy? and the Belfast Cowboy. Bring on the Nordies.

Add Matt Cooper to that too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

See this was all I wanted... a few fvucking acts I can spend the evening looking up and doing some homework on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Some lad asking about house earlier: Phraktal. Pretty good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 namejeff128

EP Playlist updated with most recent acts from the Body and soul announcment
    https://open.spotify.com/user/daviddonohue188/playlist/4iWyKrLSpsnNgHMguljXWE?si=fAPwG8j5TQObi4kWuQzHpQ

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Rfrip wrote: »
    See this was all I wanted... a few fvucking acts I can spend the evening looking up and doing some homework on
    Agree! On it already. Streaming some Daithi at present!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I’d love to see the Avett Brothers added but they’re in the middle of a US tour around EP time. Although that said, they actually have a two week break where the EP lands slap bang in the middle, but chances are little to none of them shipping over to Europe for a couple of once off gigs.

Jenny Lewis’ tour dates suit a return to EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

No.

Fair enough if you haven't heard a hundred other bands that sound like that. Maybe youve never been to Witnness.

To be fair I wasn't too overly impressed by them either until I saw their KEXP live session last week, now they're one of my must sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I’d love to see the Avett Brothers added but they’re in the middle of a US tour around EP time. Although that said, they actually have a two week break where the EP lands slap bang in the middle, but chances are little to none of them shipping over to Europe for a couple of once off gigs.

Jenny Lewis’ tour dates suit a return to EP.

Can't see her hanging around for 2weeks for 1 gig. Ain't gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Some lad asking about house earlier: Phraktal. Pretty good stuff.

Headlining the Bandstand..

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

mgkelly wrote: »
    Rfrip wrote: »
    Agree! On it already. Streaming some Daithi at present!
    Also, Bitch Falcon should satisfy the heavy guitar and noise merchants! I'll be there for sure! First listen - good!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

declanleo wrote: »
    Can't see her hanging around for 2weeks for 1 gig. Ain't gonna happen

Yeah true enough. Unless of course she has a couple of other UK/European gigs at the time. But what festival organisers would be mad enough to leave it so late to announce the acts?!.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Other voices just responded to my tweet from a few days ago to say announcement coming soon. Given they didn't respond for a few days and are now doing so expect it to be this week. Now the problem that has been annoying me all along is real. So much research to do so little time. Might have to abandon kids for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Listen to some Modern Strangers this evening, think they’ll get the green highlighter on clashfinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I wonder will we ever find out what’s actually caused the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I wonder will we ever find out what’s actually caused the delay.

Unless we discover a big act has pulled out I doubt we will ever know for sure. But the sabotage publicity for ATN theory looks pretty likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

haitens wrote: »
    Unless we discover a big act has pulled out I doubt we will ever know for sure. But the sabotage publicity for ATN theory looks pretty likely.

Yeah, you would have to say so at this stage. Although if anything, I think it puts EP in a poor light. Pretty petty considering that they are sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Yeah, you would have to say so at this stage. Although if anything, I think it puts EP in a poor light. Pretty petty considering that they are sold out.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I don't think that makes any sense though. Surely most altogether now people would have already bought their tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

D.Q wrote: »
    I don't think that makes any sense though. Surely most altogether now people would have already bought their tickets?

Surely a few people who are considering it but awaiting a weather forecast? Good additions to EP may persuade them to hold off.

It could also be solely the publicity. If people are talking about EP then there's less chatter about ATN and that augers well for early bird sales in September.

Festival Republic's actions are not for 2018 but for the next several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ricey92

I really think if they want to disrupt the publicity for ATN the main announcement will come tomorrow or Thursday. Wouldnt make sense releasing it Friday but what do I know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

D.Q wrote: »

Yeah, makes no sense at all. People are just annoyed and they're lashing out, but there's no logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Yeah, makes no sense at all. People are just annoyed and they're lashing out, but there's no logic to it.

If the delay isn't anything to do with ATN what do you reckon it is???
    They could have a few big names in the announcement and can't release them because the acts want to release tour details themselves (Prodigy Aphex Twin)??? Maybe EP thought the flak for naming the line up without these would have been worse than just holding off a few weeks. Just guessing here, either way it's great to be listening up on a few acts from yesterdays news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

If anything it’s pushed me even more towards ATN next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fwiw, I think the delays are just a poorly thought out marketing strategy.

There was a lot of big gigs and festivals to compete with in the news cycle earlier in the summer, including Longitude, which FR is behind too.

I think they decided to try totally dominate the cycle in August by making 3/4 announcements and keeping the buzz going throughout the whole month until the festival starts. August is traditionally dead news-wise too - make the right booking and announce at the right time and it'll get a disproportionately high boost on some sites in comparison to doing so in the middle of June, for e.g.

Then, put the tickets back on sale immediately after the festival is over and hope to capitalise on the good time had by all (presumably!!), the FOMO from those who spent a weekend gutted to miss Kendrick, Massive Attack or whoever, and the buzz generated by being all over social media since July 31 onwards.

But, I think they underestimated the frustration that would emerge. In particular, for people who are just going to EP and not buying other festival tix/standalone gig tix and are just waiting to hear the new acts, etc as the summer rolls on, as in previous years. EP has had a very set formula of announcements in the past and the deviation from this was jarring and has left lot of people unhappy/frustrated, very understandably IMO too.

I may be wrong but I don't think it's any less likely than the conspiracy theories about wanting to suffocate a festival which looks to be targeting an entirely different sized market at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think they decided to try totally dominate the cycle in August by making 3/4 announcements and keeping the buzz going throughout the whole month until the festival starts. August is traditionally dead news-wise too - make the right booking and announce at the right time and it'll get a disproportionately high boost on some sites in comparison to doing so in the middle of June, for e.g.

Why not just move EP to the August bank holiday then to really compete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Hello August, and still we wait for the second announcement... we were shocked when 1st July rolled around and nothing. Now it’s 1st August and the complacency has set in, merged with hopefulness. In reality we have no effing clue what’s going on. It’s definitely detracting from my traditional August ‘EP is nearly here’ buzz.
    Eff you Festival Republic, treating your loyal customers like c*nts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement