Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It's all about 2019 sales. People buying early birds will have to decide if they trust EP or ATN more. The idea is that a big EP announcement on Fri will have the ATN punters regretting the choice to go there. And many will have chosen that as their sole fest of the year. Whether it works or not will be seen with the early bird sales.

I get what you mean, but if people go to ATN this year and have a good weekend, chances are they will automatically return and forget the EP completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Comparing both is pointless. Both festivals having different business models, target audiences and budgets. ATN is trying to get a foothold into the boutique festival circuit initially whereas over the past few years EP has grown into the large festival category. It's clear that EP will have a line-up of higher calibre when they have the budget now and the clout with FR to attract larger pedigree acts. There are both pros and cons to that. It shouldn't be used as a stick to beat ATN with. Many of EPs long term customers might actually prefer the ATN approach and if this group is a benchmark it is obvious that there is a sizable % of EP customers going to ATN too. Of course EP will still sell out this year but the demographic will start to change over time. Especially as the profile of acts they book changes to cater for younger audiences.

As Scruff pointed out earlier both fests are going for the same audience and artists. They are absolutely in direct competition and ATN undoubtedly intends to expand. Hence the response of FR.

ricerocket wrote: »

"On Wednesday, Electric Picnic organisers confirmed to the Leinster Express that the next big headline announcement is coming on Friday, August 3!

This promises to be a huge announcement adding to the current headline acts including Kendrick Lamar, Massive Attack and N.E.R.D."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fatfrog wrote: »
    "On Wednesday, Electric Picnic organisers confirmed to the Leinster Express that the next big headline announcement is coming on Friday, August 3!

This promises to be a huge announcement adding to the current headline acts including Kendrick Lamar, Massive Attack and N.E.R.D."

James Bay’s PR team ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I get what you mean, but if people go to ATN this year and have a good weekend, chances are they will automatically return and forget the EP completely.

Absolutely. Hence the fear from EP. EP barely survived the last recession and both fests wouldn't survive another. Hence the FR approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

Kodaline it is then...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fats Domino?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

BlaaEater wrote: »
    Kodaline it is then...

Please no - I have the fear of them or Walking on Cars or some such being a big announcement

457248.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

optogirl wrote: »
    Please no - I have the fear of them or Walking on Cars or some such being a big announcement

Kodaline walking under buses would be better

• Advertisement

If people don’t think this timed announcement and ATN are linked fair enough. I’ve also got a bridge to sell you 😎.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I'm thinking Friday's announcement will be about the return of the boy Hozier.

Hoping for a few acts along the size of James/Charlatans/Shed Seven. Will always enjoy Trailer Park, Salty Dog , Jerry Fish and that but not expecting anything big along the lines of Prodigy as has been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

thebusher wrote: »

Hoping for a few acts along the size of James/Charlatans/Shed Seven. Will always enjoy Trailer Park, Salty Dog , Jerry Fish and that but not expecting anything big along the lines of Prodigy as has been mentioned.
    100% agree.  Hozier will be billed as a European exclusive before he goes on US tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

thebusher wrote: »

If the strategy was to time this for ATN as it now looks, I am expecting the kitchen sink.

I may not like the kitchen sink. Like it or not any of Kodaline, Coronas, Hozier are all acts that can fill a 20k plus venue on their own. That means they are firmly in the headline act territory and are big enough in the eyes of the general public. Whatever your taste in music, there is no denying that any of those three acts would comfortably outsell any of the ATN headliners.

This is going to be muscle flexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

100% agree. Hozier will be billed as a European exclusive before he goes on US tour.

He's hardly a headliner along the likes of Kendrick and Massive Attack? Huge announcement means we're getting someone bigger I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Wooderson wrote: »
    If people don’t think this timed announcement and ATN are linked fair enough. I’ve also got a bridge to sell you 😎.

No no no. Lesson learned. I’m not buying any bridges at this early stage until I find out exactly what materials are going into it and where it will start and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

If the strategy was to time this for ATN as it now looks, I am expecting the kitchen sink.

I may not like the kitchen sink. Like it or not any of Kodaline, Coronas, Hozier are all acts that can fill a 20k plus venue on their own. That means they are firmly in the headline act territory and are big enough in the eyes of the general public. Whatever your taste in music, there is no denying that any of those three acts would comfortably outsell any of the ATN headliners.

Coronas would outsell Underworld?

I would have thought The Coronas were well past their sell by date. What do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

100% agree.  Hozier will be billed as a European exclusive before he goes on US tour.

He's hardly a headliner along the likes of Kendrick and Massive Attack? Huge announcement means we're getting someone bigger I reckon.
    Hozier is a bigger act than NERD.  I could see them playing on the Saturday as mooted elsewhere and Hozier taking the Sunday headliner slot.  Hope not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Announcement on Friday, the same day as ATN starts, I mean, it all seems very coincidental... and I never really thought there was anything to the theory.

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    No no no. Lesson learned. I’m not buying any bridges at this early stage until I find out exactly what materials are going into it and where it will start and end.

It depends what bridge! Some FF TD's relation did quite nicely from a certain bridge on the M50:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

If this huge announcement is any of Hozier, Coronas or Kodaline or any other such nonsense, then ATN people will be "yeah, we got it right. bye bye EP". It must be something better than that if the intention is to turn heads and take the shine off ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    As Scruff pointed out earlier both fests are going for the same audience and artists. They are absolutely in direct competition and ATN undoubtedly intends to expand. Hence the response of FR.

I half agree. I can see a shift in the EP model since FR took over. The capacity increases, the corporate sponsorships, the profile of acts booked etc. It may be a subtle change but they are clearly trying to grow the festival into a large festival to compete with the European elite festivals. I won't compare to Oxegen because that's not an accurate example but there are some similarities. Whereas Reynolds has never been comfortable with that plan for EP hence the split. He is clearly trying to create a new EP style boutique festival aligned with his original vision for the festival. Of course they may have plans to expand but I doubt it would be to anywhere near current scale of EP. They are in competition of course we are a small country with a small audience for a larger than average qty of festivals per capita. And they are competing for this audience. But what me might see going forward is a clear change in demographic of both audiences. FR won't care about this. They only see the colour of money.

I'd prefer Hozier over Kodaline!! He is talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Hozier is probably a bigger draw than MA in Ireland now I'd say. They didn't sell out the day they headlined at Longitude in 2014, they were playing the Olympia rather than 3 Arena most recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Could be nonsense, could also be true and end up being nothing to do with EP - but a relative of a Kodaline member just told me they are announcing a world tour this week starting in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I think as a strategy it’s poor. My friends are heading to ATN or Indiependwnce and will not be caring less about EPS announcement until Monday because they won’t be sitting on their phone excited they’ll be Outside cracking open cans at something else with possibly a few thousand other EP attendees.

EP wouldn’t ever necessarily be my music taste but I love watching live music and discovering new bands and all the other great parts that go with it. If I see a lot saying ATN was better I think my head might be turned.

As I’m not going to ATN I’m super excited for Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

erica74 wrote: »
    Announcement on Friday, the same day as ATN starts, I mean, it all seems very coincidental... and I never really thought there was anything to the theory.

Surely nothing to be achieved by it though? No matter what the announce Fri isnt going to affect ATN. Nobody will swap to EP at that late stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I have to agree with this especially the not liking the kitchen sink! I do like Hozier though.

• Advertisement

ATN year 1 is better than EP year 1. We all know what happened in 2005.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement