Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

ab4248 wrote: »
    Surely nothing to be achieved by it though? No matter what the announce Fri isnt going to affect ATN. Nobody will swap to EP at that late stage??

It’s not swapping/people changing plans. It’s swamping/smothering media coverage and asserting territorial dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

maximoose wrote: »
    Could be nonsense, could also be true and end up being nothing to do with EP - but a relative of a Kodaline member just told me they are announcing a world tour this week starting in Ireland.

Kodalines tour is already announced and unfortunately it does have no Irish date at present, really hope its not them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

He's obviously not that close a relative so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

457249.jpg
    This was the EP crowd at Hozier in 2014.  He has become an even bigger name globally since then so I'm pretty sure the organisers would consider him headliner material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

If this huge announcement is any of Hozier, Coronas or Kodaline or any other such nonsense, then ATN people will be "yeah, we got it right. bye bye EP". It must be something better than that if the intention is to turn heads and take the shine off ATN.

I completely agree, people heading for ATN have their tickets, they're not going to turn around on the road to Waterford and head back home when they hear the EP announcement on the radio!!
    If it's a popular headline like Kodaline as you have said ATN punters will feel they've made the correct choice..... EP is off their radar forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

He's hardly a headliner along the likes of Kendrick and Massive Attack? Huge announcement means we're getting someone bigger I reckon.

"huge" announcement is utterly meaningless, and just marketing/PR guff.
    it'll be loads of mid/lower tier acts.

Hozier is definitely a big mid-tier act at the least.

for a huge chunk of the EP demographic these days, the likes of Hozier, Kodaline, Walking on Cars etc are bigger draws than Massive Attack...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

**** it, totally wild outside bet, McCartney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Kodalines tour is already announced and unfortunately it does have no Irish date at present, really hope its not them

This looks ominous. You can see this happening. Just looked at their tour dates now and there is a clear spot for them at EP. Probably will announce another Irish stand alone gig before christmas after finishing up in the states.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

If it's Kodaline the demographic for EP will get younger and younger and older people will feck off to ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Lol okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

**** it,  totally wild outside bet, McCartney.
    That would be class!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah lads , if anyone thinks an announcement by EP on Friday is going to have ANY effect on ATN they you are delusional.

if anything EP will be doing them a favour by NOT having an announcement in the last 4 weeks (when people were deciding to go to ATN or not)

Snarky Snark Snark

Lol okay

He's about to start a tour. It's not completely bat**** as an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Lower the expectations lads , it’s going to be a disappointment for most of the people on here judging by your musical tastes .
    Hozier is not for me but he’s very popular and EP organisers would consider him a huge announcement .

If it is crap Friday I won’t be buying the tickets straight away again in September like I have been for years . I’ll wait to see full lineup first , always easy to pick up tickets closer to when it’s starting

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Wooderson wrote: »
    ab4248 wrote: »
    Surely nothing to be achieved by it though? No matter what the announce Fri isnt going to affect ATN. Nobody will swap to EP at that late stage??

It’s not swapping/people changing plans. It’s swamping/smothering media coverage and asserting territorial dominance.
    ... Territorial Pissings....??!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Wooderson wrote: »

I think you're right, and I really don't like that. Its like being made to be part of someone elses aggression and politics. Don't use me just because there is unresolved issues between FR and Reynolds.

Huge could mean really big names, or could mean lots of names. Hopefully both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

This looks ominous. You can see this happening. Just looked at their tour dates now and there is a clear spot for them at EP. Probably will announce another Irish stand alone gig before christmas after finishing up in the states.

my hope is that they're too big to be subbing someone at EP.

they just played Malahide Castle a few weeks ago, and sold out the 40k capacity (unlike Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, Chic..)

I mean, Massive Attack/NERD aren't shifting anywhere near those numbers for their own gigs, so hopefully Kodaline think they're above playing underneath them on the EP lineup.

Snarky Snark Snark

mgkelly wrote: »
    ... Territorial Pissings....??!

nirvana confirmed with hologram kurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

They'd probably be operating at a loss if they booked him

they just played Malahide Castle a few weeks ago, and sold out the 40k capacity (unlike Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, Chic..)

I mean, Massive Attack/NERD aren't shifting anywhere near those numbers for their own gigs, so hopefully Kodaline think they're above playing underneath them on the EP lineup.

Very wishful thinking. They'll play this year main stage around 9 or 10 Saturday then come back in a year or two are one of the three headliners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

40k really does malahide hold that many people????
    Thought it was closer to 20k??? Those gigs were put on by FR wouldn't be surprised to see Kodaline announced if they sold that many tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Lee Sratch Perry has a small tour starting mid October, be great to see him in a tent at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Kodaline are so fu.ckin sh.ite its such an insult to talented bands. Not original, very basic lyrics, guitar and drums, no signature sound.

Not their doing but a poster boy for a really ugly human trait, where by we flock to the shallow popular opinion, some take comfort in the masses and feel like they won't ever be exposed as Kodaline are the "safe option" for others you're some kind weirdo if you don't like them, its almost an Irish Catholic church approach.
    Each to their own, but its very restrictive thinking in my view, almost opposite to what a festival is.

Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Kodaline are so fu.ckin sh.ite its such an insult to talented bands. Not original, very basic lyrics, guitar and drums, no signature sound.

Each to their own, but its very restrictive thinking in my view, almost opposite to what a festival is.

Festivals are a broad church, so i'd say it's exactly the sort of act that would & should be booked for a large festival, there's always a poppy popular band that most of the users of this forum would run a mile from but will be mobbed at the stage come festival time. We're not the target market for them and that's just fine, their fan base will run a mile from Massive Attack.

Could say the same about most current successful Irish groups (Coronas, Picture This, The Script, Walking on Cars) or even broaden it to The Kooks, Coldplay, Travis etc. Bland is mistaken for deep a lot these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Not their doing but a poster boy for a really ugly human trait, where by we flock to the shallow popular opinion, some take comfort in the masses and feel like they won't ever be exposed as Kodaline are the "safe option" for others you're some kind weirdo if you don't like them, its almost an Irish Catholic church approach.

This is exactly exactly how I feel love it.

Every time that follow your fire song comes on I have a small hissy fit at whatever radio station I have on.

It’s pure nothing. Bland ear popcorn for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

kg703 wrote: »
    This is exactly exactly how I feel love it.

Every time that follow your fire song comes on I have a small hissy fit at whatever radio station I have on.

It’s pure nothing. Bland ear popcorn for the masses.

Bland ear popcorn - perfect description.
    Same as Ed Sheeran - 300,000 tickets sold in Ireland. We have to accept that those of us with a superior taste in music fall into a small minority. Our voices may be louder on forums such as this but bums on seats (or wellies in grass) are the ones that are of importance unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

optogirl wrote: »
    Please no - I have the fear of them or Walking on Cars or some such being a big announcement

Walking On Cars more or less confirmed that they will be playing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I feel like Picnic are going to make a huge f*ck up and anyone expecting an international headliner could be in for a big disappointment. I think that they did wait until this late to make their announcement for the reasons others have said and try to take some of the limelight/media attention away from ATN, but when it is revealed on Friday that their "huge announcement" is someone like Hozier, Kodaline or Picture This it will cause even more moaning and unhappiness from the older crowd. Then on the Monday people will be arriving home from ATN hopefully saying how great it was and a lot of people will then think that maybe ATN is the festival for them in future.

I can understand why they would book one of the above acts or someone similar and in fact I would be surprised if they didn't as they are Irish bands at the end of the day, but if that is their big surprise and this was meant to make us feel like the wait was worth it they will have got it so wrong it's unbelievable.. I was not expecting a huge second announcement, maybe some good sub headliners, but I feel like now they have put themselves in a position that unless it is a spectacular second announcement and we are all wrong there is going to be big backlash. Let's hope they surprise us all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

I don't think Kodaline are quite as big as they were and may see playing as a sub benificial, they cancelled a tour recently to "work on a new album" which usually is an excuse for poor ticket sales.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement