Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

davew121 wrote: »
    Walking On Cars more or less confirmed that they will be playing :cool:

where was this?

they're headlining Indiependence, so could make sense that EP would wait until that starts on Friday before being announced, if it's a contract thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Kodaline are so fu.ckin sh.ite its such an insult to talented bands. Not original, very basic lyrics, guitar and drums, no signature sound.

Not their doing but a poster boy for a really ugly human trait, where by we flock to the shallow popular opinion, some take comfort in the masses and feel like they won't ever be exposed as Kodaline are the "safe option" for others you're some kind weirdo if you don't like them, its almost an Irish Catholic church approach.
    Each to their own, but its very restrictive thinking in my view, almost opposite to what a festival is.

Kodaline are for people who sit in religiously on Saturday nights with a Chinese take away watching Ant and Dec.

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I don't think Kodaline are quite as big as they were and may see playing as a sub benificial, they cancelled a tour recently to "work on a new album" which usually is an excuse for poor ticket sales.
    is Malahide not by far their biggest gig so far? :confused:

was it any Irish tour that they cancelled?
    e: googled, it was a European tour last year, which has now been rescheduled for over the coming months.
    pretty much no relevance IMO.

they're as big, if not bigger than ever, in my very limited knowledge of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Prediction ; Childish Gambino, DMAs and Kodaline
    Hoping for ; Catfish and the Bottlemen and Shed Seven

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

where was this?

they're headlining Indiependence, so could make sense that EP would wait until that starts on Friday before being announced, if it's a contract thing.

On twitter there a few weeks back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I don't think Kodaline are quite as big as they were and may see playing as a sub benificial, they cancelled a tour recently to "work on a new album" which usually is an excuse for poor ticket sales.

I dont like Kodaline but they sold out Malahide with no significant support in a summer where gigs are not selling and in a venue which is a pain in the hole to get to.

If any of the three named Irish bands are announced, they will have more people watching them than any of the other headliners bar Kendrik

Picnic is moving more to the mainstream. If you want to shift 55k tickets each year you are going to have to do that.

is Malahide not by far their biggest gig so far? :confused:

was it any Irish tour that they cancelled?
    e: googled, it was a European tour last year, which has now been rescheduled for over the coming months.
    pretty much no relevance IMO.

they're as big, if not bigger than ever, in my very limited knowledge of them...

I was at the gig in Malahide they dont suit a festival and are certainly better indoors than out the sound was brutal also

davew121 wrote: »
    On twitter there a few weeks back..

can't see anything over the last few months?
    https://twitter.com/WalkingOnCars/with_replies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

...We have to accept that those of us with a superior taste in music.....

JbkHTiJ.jpg

Snarky Snark Snark

Funnily enough, we had the exact same excuse from Haim last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I dont like Kodaline but they sold out Malahide with no significant support in a summer where gigs are not selling and in a venue which is a pain in the hole to get to.

If any of the three named Irish bands are announced, they will have more people watching them than any of the other headliners bar Kendrik

Picnic is moving more to the mainstream. If you want to shift 55k tickets each year you are going to have to do that.

Kodaline were playing on a Friday whereas gorillaz and lcd soundsystem were mid week.

Gorillaz touring a not well received album (I like it) and LCD having played three nights in Olympia recent to the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Major Dad

“I dont like Kodaline but they sold out Malahide with no significant support in a summer where gigs are not selling and in a venue which is a pain in the hole to get to.”
    Hold on a second and let’s put this in perspective. Capacity for Malahide can be varied according to the act size, and goes from 10,000 to 25,000. My understanding is that Kodaline’s crowd was 21,000 - very respectable, but not the maximum capacity.
    Secondly, it’s probably one of the easiest venues to get to - served by buses and trains. There’s a reason why Irish cricket matches are held in Malahide as well.
    Now - as you were...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dusters

**** it, totally wild outside bet, McCartney.

so as a long time lurker and rarely posting....Macca has been my outsider bet for a while now....he is doing a lot publicity wise again!
    I'd be happy with Macca and A-Ha as part of the announcements.....but then you will find me camping out over in the Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow for the majority of the weekend anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Kodaline were playing on a Friday whereas gorillaz and lcd soundsystem were mid week.

Gorillaz was a Saturday night

Was rippin LCD were on a bloody Tuesday though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Gorillaz touring a not well received album (I like it) and LCD having played three nights in Olympia recent to the gig.

Fair points, but regardless of the day, they sold 20k + tickets. To argue that a band that can shift those numbers is not a headliner is nuts. That is the point that some others (possibly not you) are making.

Also, as a balance, Gorillaz hadnt played here in some time, they should have sold better. I dont think the 3 Olympia gigs would have been a drag on tickets, if anything they probably increased the hype around the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MsMojave

I’m no fan of Kodaline or Walking on Cars (went to them at EP out of curiosity and I’ll never forgive myself, it was the worst) and I am having to remind myself that they would only take up one slot.

There will be more. We will be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

You lads think that EP would hold back on a McCartney announcement?

What drugs are you being prescribed and where can I get some immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Fair points, but regardless of the day, they sold 20k + tickets. To argue that a band that can shift those numbers is not a headliner is nuts. That is the point that some others (possibly not you) are making.

Also, as a balance, Gorillaz hadnt played here in some time, they should have sold better. I dont think the 3 Olympia gigs would have been a drag on tickets, if anything they probably increased the hype around the gig.

Nah I know they could headline, reckon they’re a shoe in for longitude down the line.

I’m incorrect about the gorillaz gig though. Could have sworn. I caught kodaline at Nos Alive last year.. very boring. Paint by numbers kinda way.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I really really pray it’s not Kodaline. Middle of the road snorefest.

I would enjoy watching Hozier, but I’d enjoy him on a sunny afternoon with a few pints. His music would not suit after dark headline slot nor would it suit my after dark mood. I would have to avoid him like I avoided Sam Smith in 2015 (and was instead gloriously uplifted by Chvrches Big synths in the EA)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Wooderson wrote: »
    You lads think that EP would hold back on a McCartney announcement?

What drugs are you being prescribed and where can I get some immediately.

Crazy talk. It's obviously Radiohead.

More realistically Blossoms, Vampire Weekend, and All Tvvins would be alright additions.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, we had the exact same excuse from Haim last year

Would you believe that was 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

JbkHTiJ.jpg

Being a badass along with my modesty are my best traits!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nilbert99

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Fatfrog wrote: »
    Kodaline are so fu.ckin sh.ite its such an insult to talented bands. Not original, very basic lyrics, guitar and drums, no signature sound.

Could say the same about most current successful Irish groups (Coronas, Picture This, The Script, Walking on Cars) or even broaden it to The Kooks, Coldplay, Travis etc. Bland is mistaken for deep a lot these days
    I mean, you're never going to see the likes of these bands at Witness.... snort...

Nugget89 wrote: »

More realistically Blossoms, Vampire Weekend, and All Tvvins would be alright additions.
    All Tvvins are definitely the best of the "Irish lads with guitars making pop-rock" lot, not totally surprising given their background being in Adebisi Shank/The Cast of Cheers.

Snarky Snark Snark

PinkCamper wrote: »
    Would you believe that was 2016.

the years just meld into a single flow of disappointment and shame for me at this point, cannot tell one from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Eh, it's obviously Daft Punk *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Blossoms are a good shout. EP sized hole in their schedule too.

Seen them at TRNSMT in Glasgow. I'm not overly familiar with their stuff but the crowd was enormous for them and there was good energy at the gig.

can't see anything over the last few months?
    https://twitter.com/WalkingOnCars/with_replies

Sorry it was definitely on some platform that it came up and they indicated that they would be there
    ;)

I am calling it - Liam Gallagher, years & years and Scooter. Pure ****e. Liam might have been good when his voice was still intact

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

PinkCamper wrote: »
    I am calling it - Liam Gallagher, years & years and Scooter. Pure ****e. Liam might have been good when his voice was still intact

tenor.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement