Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Its worse than I remember :P

https://youtu.be/OFB8vRpUyAM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

from wikipedia: Scooter released their 19th studio album, Scooter Forever on September 1, 2017

19 albums!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Not their doing but a poster boy for a really ugly human trait, where by we flock to the shallow popular opinion, some take comfort in the masses and feel like they won't ever be exposed as Kodaline are the "safe option" for others you're some kind weirdo if you don't like them, its almost an Irish Catholic church approach.
    Each to their own, but its very restrictive thinking in my view, almost opposite to what a festival is.

you're reading too much into it, they're just played on the radio. the vast majority of 'normies' still get all their new music from what's played on the radio, it still has huge power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

from wikipedia: Scooter released their 19th studio album, Scooter Forever on September 1, 2017

19 albums!

Am I lucky or ignorant to have never heard of Scooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Ignorant

Scooter are a German dance group founded in Hamburg, who have sold over 30 million records and earned over 80 Gold and Platinum awards. Scooter are considered the most successful German single-record act with 23 top ten hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I would recommend you do no further research on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Nice try, that's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I go to loads of low key local gigs all year round -
    as someone mentioned earlier 'high brow chin stroking' :-)

When I go to a festival I'm happy to go with all sorts of music after a few beers. Hell we strolled over to Cosby 2 years ago to see what the fuss was about. There was a crowd about 30 deep outside the tent the whole way round. It was Picture This and I have to say they were great at what they do. Crowd energy was infectious happy punters alround.Good luck to them.

Not a patch on the Avett Brothers that night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

ricerocket wrote: »
    I'm as guilty as the next man but it is sort of odd that the most successful Irish bands are generally the ones that come in for the most criticism.  If any of Kodaline, Coronas, Walking on Cars or Picture This happen to be reading this they must be scratching their heads.  I know I would prefer to be playing with Kodaline to 20k out in Malahide than playing with an interesting but obscure band to 100 people in Whelans of a Tuesday night!
    It's not strange really. It's the same reaction people were having to Westlife and Boyzone 20 years ago.

Nice try, that's not possible.

Seriously. The name means nothing to me. I only really listen to BBC6, pals recommendations or US college radio for music. Lots of acts have been brought to my attention here (Touts, Julia Jacklin, Kevin Morby & others in the past two years) but I think I can safely assume that Scooter won’t rock my boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 InTheWoods123

I get that Kodaline, Coronas and Picture This are all due their fair share of criticism and they’re not bands I’d personally like to see on the bill nor do I think they’d suit the festival as a whole but I don’t think it’s fair either to lump Hozier in with them. He’s not to everyone’s liking but he’s a much greater artist and would be far better for the picnic than the other three...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

If any of Kodaline, Coronas, Walking on Cars or Picture This happen to be reading this they must be scratching their heads.  

They are bland, lazy, pop-fodder shîte. Picnic has always boasted of it's eclectic/alternative lineup, since Oxegen went under there has been a bit more pop creeping in over the years but remained solid.

If this crap made up the bulk of the "huge" announcement it would be a very disappointing direction for the fest to take. I'm sure it won't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 InTheWoods123

maximoose wrote: »
    They are bland, lazy, pop-fodder shîte. Picnic has always boasted of it's eclectic/alternative lineup, since Oxegen went under there has been a bit more pop creeping in over the years but remained solid.

If this crap made up the bulk of the "huge" announcement it would be a very disappointing direction for the fest to take. I'm sure it won't though.

I don’t hate any of those bands but I feel it’s very much a case if you’ve seen them once you’ve seen all they have to offer. Their music has stayed massively the same and offers little variation in terms of their sets. With other artists there seems to be a freshness about them every time you see them (most of the time with a new album) but I find all those bands play the same hits and never offer anything fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seriously. The name means nothing to me. I only really listen to BBC6, pals recommendations or US college radio for music. Lots of acts have been brought to my attention here (Touts, Julia Jacklin, Kevin Morby & others in the past two years) but I think I can safely assume that Scooter won’t rock my boat.

Oh i understand all that, but it's like saying you've never heard of Haddaway's What is Love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

I'm as guilty as the next man but it is sort of odd that the most successful Irish bands are generally the ones that come in for the most criticism.  If any of Kodaline, Coronas, Walking on Cars or Picture This happen to be reading this they must be scratching their heads.  I know I would prefer to be playing with Kodaline to 20k out in Malahide than playing with an interesting but obscure band to 100 people in Whelans of a Tuesday night!

It’s an Irish thing, whatever you do don’t become successful.

Graham1978 wrote: »

There is a certain amount of that (U2 have always taken a lot of criticism, even before they deserved it) but the names being talked about here don't really deserve credit for anything other than getting famous and marketing themselves well. It's also galling when genuine talent in Ireland doesn't do nearly as well commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anyone think it's really petty of Electric Picnic to have an announcement on Friday right before AllTogetherNow.

I sold my early bird tickets for 2017 and didn't go. Will probably do the same again this year with my early bird tickets if announcemnt is crap in Friday.

Won't be buying early bird tickets for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Nope.... it’s because they are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Coronas, Picture This, Kodaline etc is music for teenagers down in the Gaeltacht. No substance to it at all yet for some reason casual music listeners in Ireland lap it up. Hozier isn't in the same bracket in fairness but still wouldn't fancy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

BadTurtle wrote: »
    There is a certain amount of that (U2 have always taken a lot of criticism, even before they deserved it) but the names being talked about here don't really deserve credit for anything other than getting famous and marketing themselves well. It's also galling when genuine talent in Ireland doesn't do nearly as well commercially.

True,
    I'm still extremely bitter about Fight Like Apes
    not being able to make ends meet!
    Maykay joining Le Galaxie is tragic for me!
    No offense to either party, just a waste of a complete goddess
    of a frontwoman imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 roly123

The Coronas, Picture This, Kodaline etc is music for teenagers down in the Gaeltacht. No substance to it at all yet for some reason casual music listeners in Ireland lap it up. Hozier isn't in the same bracket in fairness but still wouldn't fancy him.

At least Hozier has a bit of uniqueness about him. The others, however, all sound the same to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Are you doing your app again Pablo?

I beg to disagree. Would also put George Ezra, The Kooks & Ben Howard in the same bracket of acts I wish EP didn’t shell out money on. I accept that there will always be disposable pop at EP but there could be a hell of a lot this year. In fairness Glastonbury has always had that and it’s never impacted on my enjoyment.

Also plenty of Irish acts do well without getting dog’s abuse, but they tend to be the good ones - Ash, SLF, My Bloody Valentine, Microdisney, Undertones, A House, Frank & Walters, etc. There are some great Irish acts on the up as evidenced by the sheer variety & depth last year (Talos, Touts, Rejjie Snow, Bicep, New Valley Wolves, Soule, Columbia Mills, Fontaines, Ships, etc) but few are commanding the fees and stage slots of the aforementioned disposable soulless crews. And that’s probably the way it’ll be for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

thebusher wrote: »
    I go to loads of low key local gigs all year round -
    as someone mentioned earlier 'high brow chin stroking' :-)

Not a patch on the Avett Brothers that night though.

Aye, but for the first few songs of the Avett Bros there was about 100 people in the tent. I think it was Rankins Wood, but still it was a poor crowd for what was one of the highlights of the weekend

True,
    I'm still extremely bitter about Fight Like Apes
    not being able to make ends meet!
    Maykay joining Le Galaxie is tragic for me!
    No offense to either party, just a waste of a complete goddess
    of a frontwoman imo!

Prefer Le Galaxie to Flapes myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I think guys we’re on “the downward spiral” with these lack of announcements,so to speak...ahem!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I think guys we’re on “the downward spiral” with these lack of announcements,so to speak...ahem!!!

Ooooooh a blatant NIN hint ......

Don't do that to us you big tease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

if that happened i would be beyond impressed, not because im a big NIN fan, but because it is ballsy beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

if that happened i would be beyond impressed, not because im a big NIN fan, but because it is ballsy beyond belief

It’s about as realistic as Macca making an appearance!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Hip hop Karaoke sounds like a load of sh1te, and not only will the Jerry fish tent have to put up with noise bleed it’ll have to do it for a load of wannabe drunks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement