Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Great to see Prodigy on the list,Gomez I can take as well,the rest ,same ould watered down crap we get every year.Be interesting to hear ,would this lineup convince people that maybe ATN would be the festival they would go to in future???

I sold my ticket last month.
    We're festival-less this year, as we've got a new arrival, but i'm done with the picnic now.
    It was great for the 9-10 years i went, but it's time to move on. Hopefully the ATN reports are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Initial reaction is if the Prodigy weren't in that announcement it would probably be the most disappointing wait of all time. They are in it however and some decent djs too, overall a weak EP this year but enough in it to have a good weekend as usual.

More worryingly is that the festival seems to be going in a direction music wise that I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Initial reaction is if the Prodigy weren't in that announcement it would probably be the most disappointing wait of all time. They are in it however and some decent djs too, overall a weak EP this year but enough in it to have a good weekend as usual.

More worryingly is that the festival seems to be going in a direction music wise that I don't like.

Yes thats exactly it, its the direction it seems to be going in. Nail on head there

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

It's a fairly solid line-up overall more than enough to kick me busy over weekend. I still think there might be a 3rd small.main announcement later in month. Looks a bit light on acts still.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

Really happy with Prodigy Gomez and Ash. Definitely enough to keep me going over the weekend but overall a little light on real sub headliner standard bands. Still can’t wait for this day four weeks when I hope to be cracking my first can right about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

Complete f*cking garbage. Won't need the old clashfinder this year that's for sure.

Been to about 10 picnics. This is the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I alluded to this earlier in the week. Since FR took over there is a chance in direction albeit done in a subtle enough way but gradually over a few years the music direction has shifted, not dramatically but enough to make me question whether I'll go again after this year

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

There is no heritage act. A ha, Erasure, Simple Minds, all touring. No effort at all to cater to the oldies.

It’s so disappointing when you put your finger over Prodigy

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Delighted with the prodigy, have seen them previously and they put in a loud banging show.

gomez im happy with. wyern lingo would be decent for an early sunny slot in salty dog.
    sleaford mods are decent and ill check them out. Delorentos again for an early sunny slot.

the rest is very, very, very, meh
    teh coronas will get a huge following and my gang will probably be looking to go, ill definitely be checking the clashfinder.
    picture this, gavin james, walking on cars, ...... meh... id sooner check out hermitage green to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

It's a fairly solid line-up overall more than enough to kick me busy over weekend. I still think there might be a 3rd small.main announcement later in month. Looks a bit light on acts still.
    website says this is the final lineup

(obviously without the standalone areas)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Sleafords Mods, yay..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MsMojave

Rfrip wrote: »
    Like picture this on the main headline on the poster, jesus like

Come back Lana Del Ray, alls forgiven

Hey Lana was the last time I was really really excited to get to see someone. I am that person.

Ditto on the Picture This thing. Why so high up? Have I missed something? Are they not the same as those other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pedrozeno

The Prodigy's recent output has been dreadful.

Picture This being amongst the "Headliners" section is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I thought we'd get a few, but didn't expect the quadruple ****fest of Picture This, Gavin James, Walking on Cars, The Coronas.

Only positive thing I can think to say is that at least they won’t be on the lineup for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Rfrip wrote: »
    100% ATN next year for me based on that line up.

Big time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Only positive thing I can think to say is that at least they won’t be on the lineup for 2019.

Wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Major Dad

I presume this is The Comedy Tent line-up? Anyone know when the 2nd Main Stage announcement is?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dansan7

Absolutely delighted with the eclectic lineup. I have no intention of seeing Picture This or Gavin James and their ilk but happy for people who like them. Because EP has to cater to so many demographics now. To be honest, once I saw Death Grips, the best live act I’ve ever seen, I was happy. Throw in Prodigy and a few rock gems like Ash and we have one hell of a weekend.

If you’re upset, fair enough. But take a breath! There are loads of awesome acts there.

If it’s no longer your thing, fair enough. But EP has always had a diverse mad lineup.

Everyone will have a year that doesnt suit them. That’s the risk of catch all lineups.

Mother fluffing Death Grips!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Probably a combination of blowing their load on Kendrick and that there are so many other festivals out there now..

Will just have to do my homework on the lesser known bands.

Delighted the trifecta of shyte music is on. It'll free up space elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Saw Prodigy years ago and they are brill at a Festival - but really them, Ash and Garbage are the only ones appearing for us "oldies".

On the plus side a lot of good Irish talent - some I've seen several times, some for the first time: Ham Sandwich, Hermitage Green, Wyvern Lingo, Coronos, Delorentos - but where's Brian Deady - Talos - Hozier???

I'll enjoy the festival but methinx my last - I had such a fantastic time at "It Takes a Village" last April (May next year) and I think I'll add Waterford to next summer.

This will be my Farewell Picnic Tour. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Just saw Brand New Friend on there.
    Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'm not gonna kick up a fuss or anything but it is a disappointing announcement and has made my mind up about moving to ATN.

It's not a bad break up with EP, it's more like a gradual drifting apart when both parties realise it's for the best for them to split.

No doubt I'll still have a fantastic time this year and there's plenty to keep me occupied but without that real quality of line-up for my particular tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

EP in terms of lineup is now probably closer to Glastonbury than any other festival, albeit without the mega headliners. There’s tosh at both for those who like it and a wide range of great music available also. The soulless stuff I’ve always avoided at both fests, quite easy to do. The issue I have is that the vapid stuff could be on the verge of taking over the Picnic. I’ll buy an early bird in Sept but I may go elsewhere in 2019. And that’s after going every year since 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just looked at the full poster. It is sad that The Prodigy (maybe Massive Attack) are the only act out of the headliners and the next tier that I have an interest in seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I see Gang of Youths are still on the lineup. I was worried they'd be cancelling EP after they cancelled their North American tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

PinkCamper wrote: »
    There is no heritage act. A ha, Erasure, Simple Minds, all touring. No effort at all to cater to the oldies.

It’s so disappointing when you put your finger over Prodigy

Maybe they see The Prodigy as the heritage act......which would be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Overall, very meh.  Outside of the very top of the bill and some of the stuff in the middle / bottom, the sub-headliners are poor by historical standards.  Irish music is on the up and up but unfortunately the biggest acts are also the more mundane and they are creeping up higher on the bill every year.  It's my last EP and will make the most of it but I don't like the direction it's headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Mik Pyro Sleaford Mods and The Oreillies missed them on the 1st look.....
    It's all about the day by day break down for me now, hopefully it splits up nicely for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Ah...i get it .This announcement was actually a marketing ploy TO PROMOTE all together now in Waterford .

I have to say it is a diabollically bad and lazy lineup .Has to rate as possibly the worst lineup ever delivered by a festival company who is taking its customer base for granted.

Only one response to that...............................Waterford 2019 bring it on .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement