Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

FWIW the facebook comments are mostly very positive.

the few in work here who are going seem very happy too, although they'd probably be happier if Calvin Harris and Stormzy were on there instead of King Krule or St.Vincent who they've never heard of.

speaking of which, King Krule's placement is bizarrely high, especially with Chvrches on the next tier down.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

the few in work here who are going seem very happy too, although they'd probably be happier if Calvin Harris and Stormzy were on there instead of King Krule or St.Vincent who they've never heard of.

speaking of which, King Krule's placement is bizarrely high, especially with Chvrches on the next tier down.
    Agree re King Krule.  Also, the fact that Picture This are in the top tier and Coronas, Gavin James and Walking on Cars just below that would suggest to me that a lot of acts are one place higher on the bill than they should be.  Again, I think it comes back to blowing the budget on Kendrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MsMojave

The people surrounding me when I foolishly went to Walking On Cars last time are easily in the top 5 of my worst audience experiences so maybe it'll work out in the long run.

Anyway have a sudden craving for cans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

haitens wrote: »
    Maybe they see The Prodigy as the heritage act......which would be mad.

Hate to break it to you, but we are all getting older. The Prodigy have been around a long long time now. Firestarter is 21 years old.

Massive Attack are in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Judging by this ATN 2019 will be sold out in seconds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

Didn't King Krule get an album of the year nomination last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

haitens wrote: »
    Maybe they see The Prodigy as the heritage act......which would be mad.

After the huge success of Duran Duran last year it makes no sense. It just goes to show that nobody is ‘curating’ this festival. It’s just a case of who’s available and what’s our budget? Fill in blanks accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

paulieeye wrote: »
    Judging by this ATN 2019 will be sold out in seconds!

They'd need more than 2 good acts to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Mr.S wrote: »
    I’m sorry, but did EP really just announce Picture This as a co-headliner?

I was told they are 2nd last act on the main stage Sunday ahead of Massive Attack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

god the comments on their Facebook are all positive
    Everyone's delighted with picture this and coronas

I know il have a great time etc blah blah blah but i just cant help but be annoyed.

Picture Fcking This as a headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pedrozeno

So The Prodigy for Sunday night according to their website.

Shambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Regular 2 man Pink Moon tent for sale, message me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Just listening to 2FM 14.00 news and they mentioned EP and said the LAST ANNOUNCEMENT - I hope what they meant was the "latest announcement" :mad:

Fcuk picture this...it'll soak up numbers and free up space elsewhere!

Just saw King Kong company and versatile added...will be at them!

Any others worth a look??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lads lets not forget Picture This sold out 2 consecutive nights on the 3arena (without even having an album released!) so thats what pushes them up the bill... so its not actually hard to undestand that, even if they are still two whinge bags from Athy who make bland semolina music.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Headliners can be hit or miss depending on personal preference but the sub headlines and undercard are gone to sh!t compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 roly123

As long as you've got a handful of acts you're happy with, and a bagful of cans. Itll be a good weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Not much there for me. Certainly didn't expect all of Picture This, etc added but that'll definitely secure a huge portion of the target audience for 2019 I'd imagine.

Put together a fairly decent list of acts to see nonetheless - Kendrick, King Krule, St Vincent, The Blaze, Ash, DJ Koze, Peggy Gou, Sorcha Richardson and a good 5/6 on the Body & Soul, Other Voices section too.

Main source of disappointment for me is that festivals used be a great chance to see acts that didn't come around often. I've seen all of the above before with the exception of DJ Koze and Kendrick. I travelled to see the Blaze but the rest seem to be here quite often, don't they?

Kendrick has already been here this year (midweek, couldn't get time off) and even the likes of St Vincent, Death Grips and King Krule have played quite recently as far as I recall. Was just hoping for one or two more that made me think "oh brilliant, ___ hasn't been here for ages!"

Anyway without wanting to go too much into the "EP lost its way..." type of stuff, there's more acts at Beatyard, All Together Now, etc that fit my taste than this one so may be time to look elsewhere! Nothing wrong with that, just changing tastes on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭fourmations

Judes wrote: »
    Just listening to 2FM 14.00 news and they mentioned EP and said the LAST ANNOUNCEMENT - I hope what they meant was the "latest announcement" :mad:

here must be another one, EP furniture Le Galaxie aren't there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nilbert99

appalling final announcement.
    there is enough on over the weekend to make it worthwhile, Benjamin Clementine, St Vincent, la Femme, Massive Attack, Sleaford Mods, King Krule etc.
    But this last announcement is awful. 4 of the worst, most bland, whiniest bands of all time.
    They seem to have only one song between them, and they cry it rather than singing it.
    I always epected there would come a time when I didn't get the music of young people. But I thought it would be beacuse it was new and outrageous and beyond my old ears - not that I couldn't bear the mawkish bland sentimentality of it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

paulieeye wrote: »
    Fcuk picture this...it'll soak up numbers and free up space elsewhere!

Just saw King Kong company and versatile added...will be at them!

Any others worth a look??

death grips
    sleaford mods
    mik pyro (will surely do some of his republic of loose tunes, and is a good showman)

wyvern lingo are quite talented, and easy on the eye if thats your thing :)
    ive seen them three times to date :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Also, btw folks, if you haven't yet, check out the new tracks from Jungle (album in a few weeks, four songs out) and check out the Blaze on YouTube. "Territory", "SHE" and "Heaven" are top class. Now just need to hope that EP don't schedule them for 4pm in a tent!

So excited for both of those albums!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Press release says last announcement. Assuming that means main stage, with Jerry F, Comedy and Salty to come.

I'm pretty happy with that announcement. Prodigy, Gomez, Sleaford are all very good additions. A nice mix of acts further down the list too.

My only problem with the line up is the second tier. St. Vincent aside there really is very little in there. Id echo a few other s who are surprised not to see chvrches and wolf alice in that.

Anyway, there is plenty announced so far to keep me happy.

I do take the point on trend and where the festival is going musically. But it is targetting 50k people. it is going to have to shift to the mainstream and that will probably send some of us elsewhere next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

ok i need to move on and out of this tantrum that im currently in like a spoilt 5 year old little brat

So.... excited for DJ Kose....any other recommendations for electronic/house?
    I second Wyvern Lingo....Sadie is a beautiful song

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Acts I've even the slightest interest to see no particular order.
    Massive attack Ash Chvrches Denis Sulta Garbage
    Prodigy Gomez Jungle Peggy Gou Sleaford Mods
    Nina kraviz Wolf Alice Gang of Youths KKC Mik Pyro
    St Vincent The Oriellies Fontaines DC Paddy Hanna
    Pillow Queens The Murder Capital..

Arm could be twisted to go see.
    Kendrick Lamar NERD Friendly Fires Lucy Dacus Wyvern Lyngo.

That's not too bad.

Any suggestions please send them on.. **** it I'm looking forward to a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

tonto123 wrote: »
    Last call for shouts for tomorrow, bland Irish acts aside??
    My last call for non Irish bands at a level I'm realistic might be acheivable, and without checking schedules 
    The Horrors , IDLES, Cabbage, Ride, James, The Blinders, The Charlatans, Super Furries, Steve Mason, Young Fathers (even though played last year), The Specials , The Streets, The Vaccines ( guilty pleasure , sorry!) Yeah Yeah Yeahs,Public Enemy, Jurassic 5, Mike D dj, Battles , Slowdive , Blossoms, Warpaint,Simple Minds & The Stranglers for Sunday
    If I get 4 or 5 of that lot I'd be really happy on top of getting a lot of great Irish bands young and old with a lot of dance /  dj stuff thrown in on top, and a rave in the woods on way to bed :)

jaysus I didn't even get 1 !!
    Theres a few I'd be glad to see, Ash Sleaford Mods, Prodigy , a bit of Gomez but after that its downhill for me.
    I know I'll still have a good time but frankly its now the younger Irish up and coming acts and KKC and Jerry Fish & Salty Dog that will be the main focus for me this time around.
    Glass half empty, but once the the cans are cracked open on the Friday I'll be grand.
    Now to focus on Castlepalooza for the weekend, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

No Dublin Gospel Choir???

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

Would be surprised if Le Boom weren't added. There will be a final final announcement in a couple of weeks time.

A mate who's in the know said daft punk will be announced for Jerry Fish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Nilbert99

Rfrip wrote: »
    ok i need to move on and out of this tantrum that im currently in like a spoilt 5 year old little brat

So.... excited for DJ Kose....any other recommendations for electronic/house?
    I second Wyvern Lingo....Sadie is a beautiful song
    lols, likewise... in fairness, there's planty of great music on the line-up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement