Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hogzy wrote: »
    All things considered Picture This should not be given the privilege of being named on the top list among the likes of Kendrick Lamar, NERD, The Prodigy.

Quite insulting to those further down the line up. Picture this better than st Vincent , Ben Howard, Benjamin Clem and a whole host of others.

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

If your main sub-headliners consist of
    Gavin James
    George Ezra
    The Coronas
    The Kooks
    Walking on Cars
    Dua Lipa
    then you are targeting a specific audience... which I am not one of!

Based on the poster (bar St.Vincent) there isnt a quality indie/rock artist there.

Granted, there is probably plenty to see & do but by god it after all the wait it has been thoroughly disappointing & annoying day

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

If they dropped this line up last week they would've guaranteed ATN to sell out. Shrewd move by FR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Surely you'll be in the arena before the second last act on the main stage?!

Long walk back for a few warm cans as opposed to a cold (expensive) pint chilling out in B&S... Even drinking cans in the Salty Dog would be better surely?

Good point! Maybe I'll haul my big bag of cans over to Salty so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

LowOdour wrote: »
    Based on the poster (bar St.Vincent) there isnt a quality indie/rock artist there.

Gomez, Ash, Garbage (oooh spit on me Shirley), Wolf Alice, Field Music, Friendly Fires, Cigarettes after Sex, Sleaford Mods

They're just the ones that I listen to and do it for me, yet to listen to the ones i've not heard of and expect there to be a bucket load more in there. That's 8 sets alone I'm looking forward to outside of the headliners.

Did I mention Gomez? They're ****ing wonderful they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Gomez, Ash, Garbage (oooh spit on me Shirley), Wolf Alice, Field Music, Friendly Fires, Cigarettes after Sex, Sleaford Mods

They're just the ones that I listen to and do it for me, yet to listen to the ones i've not heard of and expect there to be a bucket load more in there. That's 8 sets aloneness I'm looking forward to outside of the headliners.

Did I mention Gomez? They're ****ing wonderful they are.

I was referring to the sub headliners ( but I agree with the quality with some of the names you mentioned).

But in 2016 we had LCD, the shins, SFA and in 2017 Phoneix,Fr John Misty Band of Horses etc high up the list. Nothing of that quality (imo) this year

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

Good point! Maybe I'll haul my big bag of cans over to Salty so.

Walk through trenchtown, the bang of weed there would knock a horse, get you nicely buzzed.

Snarky Snark Snark

Walk through trenchtown, the bang of weed there would knock a horse, get you nicely buzzed.

me walking through there last year

WUu510S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

One year I was there a big hole 'developed' between the women and mens showers !! there was a lot of looking across from both sides !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It isn't amazing but I'm happy enough. The Prodigy, KKC and a bunch of good DJs to add to what we already had.

People may be scoffing at Picture this so far up the lineup and yeah they're sh!te but they packed out the electric arena (?) in the middle of the day in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭GentleHumour

Long time lurker here. First time poster. First off - thanks to the regular posters for the updates and humour through what have a frustrating few weeks...that turned into months.

Anyway, for me, once the shock of this afternoon’s announcement of the full trio of bed wetters (Picture This, Coronas, Gavin James) wears off, the line up is solid enough.

Shame there is no ‘Sunday Legends’ type slot of the nature of Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, ABC, Duran Duran - but at this point I’m going to switch into a positive gear and start enjoying the buildup rather than fretting over who will/won’t be added.

So, between catching up with friends, drinking cans, enjoying temporary child free liberty, rambling around generally and raving in the woods; here is my list of who I plan to catch over the weekend:

Massive Attack
    The Prodigy
    Kendrick Lamar
    Nina Kraviz
    Dua Lipa
    Chvrches
    Friendly Fires
    Jesse Ware
    St. Vincent
    Jungle
    Ash
    La Femme
    Ben Howard
    DJ Koze
    Garbage
    The Blaze
    Wolf Alice
    Death Grips
    Fontaines DC
    King Kong Company
    Mik Pyro
    Gang of Youths
    Peggy Gou
    Daithí
    Bitch Falcon
    Bon Voyage
    David Kitt
    Denis Sulta
    Gomez

Hope everyone has a blast and hope to see you there. Anytime the bed wetters hit a stage or tent - I’ll be the guy seeing them and their fake-tanned, welly wearing fans in my Rearview Mirror...is it time to extinguish the faint candle I was holding onto for a Pearl Jam announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Methinx we need another Thread here "The Disappointed Oldies Club" - we may need to Tie a Yellow Ribbon or something - so we can spot each there - and lament together - whilst singing 80's songs LOUDLY over the False Tan/Hair/Nails/Lashes brigade :D

Snarky Snark Snark

We've still to get the Electric Ireland stage / Salty Dog / Comedy / Mr. Fish / Red Bull etc...

fúckton more to come on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Just let this thread fade and die out now lads... Just like the festival itself.

Snarky Snark Snark

C5z2O34.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

PinkCamper wrote: »
    There is no heritage act. A ha, Erasure, Simple Minds, all touring. No effort at all to cater to the oldies.

It’s so disappointing when you put your finger over Prodigy

No 80s heritage act for sure, but plenty of 90s stuff. And don't forget the great Mavis Staples. Caught her Glasto set on TV last year and it looked fab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANw38xX_EuM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Prodigy:D:D
    But as for the rest im shocked! Not being dramatic but Cleary shows something has changed within FR and their strategy or lack of. What you have here is a complete narrowing of the demographic 17 -23 year olds, anyone else will feel pushed out. It will be back to Oxygen groups of 30 odd post leaving certs puking and the like. We know the potential life cycle

Its been a good ride but that's me done.

I was told they are 2nd last act on the main stage Sunday ahead of Massive Attack

Local band (Athy) drew a huge crowd 2/3 years back when just starting out. Now selling out the 3Arena in seconds. They'll pull an enormous audience that evening but I'll of course be elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Fatfrog wrote: »
    But as for the rest im shocked! Not being dramatic but Cleary shows something has changed within FR and their strategy or lack of. What you have here is a complete narrowing of the demographic 17 -23 year olds, anyone else will feel pushed out. It will be back to Oxygen groups of 30 odd post leaving certs puking and the like. We know the potential life cycle

In Fairness ep at the start was a bunch of early 20 somethings taking pills let's not gloss it up as anything else, before we look down on drunk young ones singing along to the coronas

Snarky Snark Snark

xRToDIZl.jpg

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Local band (Athy) drew a huge crowd 2/3 years back when just starting out. Now selling out the 3Arena in seconds. They'll pull an enormous audience that evening but I'll of course be elsewhere.

So when are we reckoning prodigy is on guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

disagree completely.

Longitude is the 17-23 year old session, and a lineup that caters for that (as seen by the screams of "WHO?!?" from old, out-of-touch people at most of the names on that lineup).

the announcement today is for the bland 20s/30s demographic who only know whatever music is pushed to them by TodayFM. the likes of Walking on Cars/Gavin James/Coronas are the ultimate "i've settled into a boring life of work and kids and no longer care about seeking out new music and this is pleasant and grand" bands.
    as put earlier in the thread, music for the "stay in on a Saturday night with a Chinese and Ant & Dec" lot.

/dickhead music snob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

tonto123 wrote: »
    So when are we reckoning prodigy is on guys

they're on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

All we are missing is bagatelle

I'll be at the front for Mavis. Not the household name that Chaka Khan was last year but she has some great tracks from the late 60s/early 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WmlUXsjSv8

disagree completely.

Longitude is the 17-23 year old session, and a lineup that caters for that (as seen by the screams of "WHO?!?" from old, out-of-touch people at most of the names on that lineup).

the announcement today is for the bland 20s/30s demographic who only know whatever music is pushed to them by TodayFM. the likes of Walking on Cars/Gavin James/Coronas are the ultimate "i've settled into a boring life of work and kids and no longer care about seeking out new music and this is pleasant and grand" bands.
    as put earlier in the thread, music for the "stay in on a Saturday night with a Chinese and Ant & Dec" lot.

/dickhead music snob
    Your right thó I don't think those Irish acts are going to bring a rough crowd, the shams in the street have no interest in Gavin James or the coronas (mass generalisation) but u get my point... Half the lads older guys on my football team and their wives go to Gavin James and the coronas gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

My son (I can't can't believe I writting this) has been trying to force Veristile on me for a while. Raw as f**k, but I can see the attraction, apparently they are immense live.

tonto123 wrote: »
    Your right thó I don't think those Irish acts are going to bring a rough crowd, the shams in the street have no interest in Gavin James or the coronas (mass generalisation) but u get my point... Half the lads older guys on my football team and their wives go to Gavin James and the coronas gigs

Grounds for divorce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If EP are targeting the 17-23 age group, they're doing it wrong. Anyone who's 23 was not even born when two out of three headliners released their debut (or even second) albums.

If you want to sell 50,000 weekend tickets, you have to have as broad an appeal as possible. They aren't targeting any single demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Peterd66 wrote: »
    All we are missing is bagatelle

Think they're playing summer in Dublin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement