Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Seriously folks, get onto Cloves and Brand New Friend both great acts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bands I'm excited to see:
    Prodigy // St Vincent // Ash // Friendly Fires // Gomez // Wolf Alice // Alexis Taylor // Delorentos // Ham Sandwich // King Kong Company // Wyvern Lingo // Pillow Queens // Slow Place Like Home // Super Extra Bonus Party

Bands I also want to see:
    Massive Attack // Garbage // Chvrches // Cigarettes After Sex // Nina Kraviz // The Kooks // King Krule // Death Grips // Sleaford Mods // Inner Circle // Bad Bones // Barq // Bitch Falcon // Dathai // Gundelach // Hvmmingbyrd // O Emperor // Pillow Queens // Roe // R.S.A.G. // Soule // Booka Brass Band

Boobs:
    Dua Lipa

Bands who I've no interest in seeing and who will hopefully draw away the big crowds from where I am cos I'm old and cranky:
    Kendrick Lamar // NERD // Picture This // Ben Howard // Gavin James // The Coronas // Walking on Cars // George Ezra

Is it worth €165 to see 14 bands I'm excited to see and about 20 more than I would like to see? Yes, I think so. My main concern now isn't the bands so much as whether it will all be clashtastic or that those good bands further down the bill will only get an hour? Ash, Gomez, St Vincent etc could easily do 2 hours plus in the electric arena while the other people play the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Does anyone here know the lads from These Charming Men? Hopefully they'll be playing again this year. One of my many highlights from last year. (Managed to avoid the kicking despite being a teenager).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dansan7

Boobs:
    Dua Lipa*

*Legs

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

Does anyone here know the lads from These Charming Men? Hopefully they'll be playing again this year. One of my many highlights from last year. (Managed to avoid the kicking despite being a teenager).

That's a paddlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

dansan7 wrote: »
    Boobs:
    Dua Lipa*

*Legs

And before anyone starts throwing around accusations of sexism, I guarantee you there wouldn't be half the interest in Picture This if the lads were a bunch of mingers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

everlast75 wrote: »
    And before anyone starts throwing around accusations of sexism, I guarantee you there wouldn't be half the interest in Picture This if the lads were a bunch of mingers

I honestly have no idea what they look like. Nothing I've heard from them has prompted me to delve any further than immediately changing the station on the radio. In fairness Dua Lipa is sexy af and her music is alright with a couple of really good tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'm a bit bemused that almost all of the ****shower I said would be booked were, but apart from those **** it's not a bad lineup overall. Weak announcement for the quantity of names released, but the quality of a handful of them saves face.

Delighted with:
    Death Grips
    NERD
    Massive Attack
    Kendrick Lamar
    The Prodigy
    King Krule
    St Vincent
    Scarlxrd
    Ash

Will go see if there aren't any clashes:
    Mik Pyro
    Bad Bones
    Garbage
    Friendly Fires
    Nina Kraviz
    Chvrches
    Benjamin Clementine
    Hak Baker
    Mavis Staples
    Jessie Ware
    Gomez
    Hvmmingbyrd
    DJ Koze
    Mount Kimbie
    King Kong Company
    Alexis Taylor
    Barq
    Versatile
    Dua Lipa
    Wolf Alice
    Sleaford Mods

What the ****?:
    Picture This
    Coronas
    George Ezra
    Walking on Cars
    Hermitage Green
    Gavin James
    The Kooks
    Sigrid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I'm a bit bemused that almost all of the ****shower I said would be booked were, but apart from those **** it's not a bad lineup overall. Weak announcement for the quantity of names released, but the quality of a handful of them saves face.

Delighted with:
    Death Grips
    NERD
    Massive Attack
    Kendrick Lamar
    The Prodigy
    King Krule
    St Vincent
    Scarlxrd
    Ash

Will go see if there aren't any clashes:
    Mik Pyro
    Bad Bones
    Garbage
    Friendly Fires
    Nina Kraviz
    Chvrches
    Benjamin Clementine
    Hak Baker
    Mavis Staples
    Jessie Ware
    Gomez
    Hvmmingbyrd
    DJ Koze
    Mount Kimbie
    King Kong Company
    Alexis Taylor
    Barq
    Versatile
    Dua Lipa
    Wolf Alice
    Sleaford Mods

What the ****?:
    Picture This
    Coronas
    George Ezra
    Walking on Cars
    Hermitage Green
    Gavin James
    The Kooks
    Sigrid

I’m with you on all of that bar Sigrid who sounded great on Other Voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Only band I'm actually a fan of on the lineup are the Prodigy so I'm delighted to have at least on artist the lineup I don't have to make myself familiar with.

So far on my newly discovered and will check out live are:
    Death Grips
    Scarlxrd
    St. Vincent
    Jungle
    Sevdaliza

On my know of and interested to see are:
    Massive Attack

Any recommendations based on what I've added so far?

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I’m with you on all of that bar Sigrid who sounded great on Other Voices.

Can't stand that Strangers song, sounds like Katy Perry. Other than that, I know very little about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MsMojave

everlast75 wrote: »

Ah yes Dua Lipa, with arguably one of the best pop songs of 2017, gone triple platinum in the US. Purely down to her boobs. Must be why my ma likes her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Looking forward to Massive Attack, Gomez, Ash, St Vincent, Wolf Alice, King Kong Company...will prob go see Dua Lipa and Kendrick Lamar (only because my nephew would never forgive me if I don't).

Apart form that I'm hoping to listen to a couple of spotify playlists solid between now and then to fill in the gaps and would love some cover bands in Salty Dog to get me going each evening - These Charming Men were class last year and had us all heading into the main arena in great form. I love the whole vibe of EP and yes, I am one of those who is pretty much happy as long as there's a few of bands I like & I can wander about the rest of the time with little or no time pressures. There are a lot of 'so damned sincere their voices can barely get the words out' bands on the line up this year but I wont be troubled by them as I'll be avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MsMojave

Bit annoying Electric Picnic is being used to advertise people’s gigs for later on in the year or next year...also mentioning “sold out” gigs they’ve already done this year when announcing they’ll be at Picnic.

I know it’s always the case but it seems excessive today. Think that’s my main gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

Remember in 2012 when The Killers were announced as headliners and so many people freaked out that it was the death of the festival? Such innocent times.

rockey4215 wrote: »
    Remember in 2012 when The Killers were announced as headliners and so many people freaked out that it was the death of the festival? Such innocent times.

It's the undercard that seems to be most out of line with previous years. Looking at the 5 headliners, NERD, Massive Attack and The Prodigy are very much in keeping with what we've seen before, while Kendrick is a critically acclaimed modern act with serious commercial appeal, so again not a strange booking. Picture This being a headliner is a strange one, like they couldn't find a suitable mid size rock or indie act and said **** it, bump up the flavour of the month. Fair enough they're Irish and have a big following here but it's still a big step up to headline the biggest festival in the country alongside world famous stars and immortalised performers.

The subheadliners are the big anomaly - even the Kooks being that high up smacks of a deliberate change of target audience. I mean, when was the last time those turds were relevant? 2006? They're just in keeping with a more indie/bland bent to the undercard, where only St Vincent and King Krule stand out as critical successes rather than merely commercial. That used to be a big deal for EP. Clearly not so much any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Peterd66 wrote:
    My son (I can't can't believe I writting this) has been trying to force Veristile on me for a while. Raw as f**k, but I can see the attraction, apparently they are immense live.

Their ketamine video is gold

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Last year there were 3 bands that I was a fan of beforehand which I was going to see no matter what.... Elbow, Michael kiwanuka and band of horses. Plenty of others then that piqued my interest, which made for an enjoyable weekend.

This year there's no band playing that of say I'm a fan of. Some that I've seen before and I'm glad are playing, but absolutely no "must sees" for me. So saying that I'm just going to enjoy the weekend and float about, but I'll highly question the value of buying an early bird straight after.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Their ketamine video is gold

The one about selling brown is good too.

I'll definitely be checking them out for the novelty factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

I'm pretty happy with the line up but I'm a big Kendrick Lamar fan and got an early bird ticket so 160 euro to see him plus (excluding clashes) Massive Attack, The Prodigy, St Vincent, Chvrches, NERD, Gomez, Mount Kimbie, Death Grips, Peggy Gou, Ash, Mall Grab, Fountaines DC, DJ Koze, Sleaford Mods, King Krule and Wolf Alice is great value to me. I understand the complaints about how mainstream the festival is getting and would've preferred a few more mid tier alternative acts but Jorja Smith, Dua Lipa and Sigrid aren't bad as far as pop music goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Have Silk Road tents booked this year in the Harvest Moon boutique site.

Do the boutique wristbands still get you into the VIP area in main arena?
    Can be a “nice to have” for a queueless bar and clean toilets at times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

I've been to every Electric Picnic. It's a different festival these days. Nothing will ever compare to those first few years. The line-ups were outrageous. But festivals change over time. They're are other options for people that aren't happy with the line-up. When the Picnic first started it was the alternative to Oxegen. Things have come full circle now and the Picnic is the big commercial hog, with smaller festivals like All Together Now acting as the alternative. There has literally never been more options for your summer festival fix. Be happy. Although I still get why some people are disappointed. For some of us it's not as good as it used to be (I mean, Kraftwerk playing 10 minutes away from my house!!). However, with the early bird, it's about 40% cheaper than it used to be. It's serious value and, as always, it's whatever you make it. I have a great weekend every year and always will as long as it lasts.

Now, I can't finish up without making at least one old man complaint! My issue with the Picnic, and festivals in general these days, is that there are too many bars and commercial areas pumping out music. I'm from an era (and I'm only 34) when we'd sit outside the Electric Arena, drinking cans and smoking joints, and actually listening to the band that was playing. But every spare inch of the main area has been handed over to rent-paying merchants who need to make as much noise as possible to attrract you and your money. People talk about chilling out in the Body & Soul area. For the first few years the whole fecking place was laid back. I miss that.

Anyway, see you all in 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

sydthebeat wrote:
    The one about selling brown is good too.

sydthebeat wrote:
    I'll definitely be checking them out for the novelty factor.

They sold out the Olympia this morning in about 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Adding to my list

Prodigy
    Ash
    Gomez
    Delorentos
    Hermitage Green

Massive Attack
    NERD
    Garbage
    St. Vincent
    Lost brothers
    David Kitt
    Wolf Alice
    Friendly fires
    Chvrches
    Fontaines DC
    Pillow Queens
    George Ezra
    Hak Baker
    Modern Strangers
    Soulé
    Jorja Smith

So that’s 21 before Salty dog, Mindfield and Trailer Park.
    Happy out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Apoplectic about Picture This AND Gavin James after waiting all this time.

Quite possibly the death-knell for me & the festival tbh even allowing for all the usual caveats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Apoplectic about Picture This AND Gavin James after waiting all this time.

Quite possibly the death-knell for me & the festival tbh even allowing for all the usual caveats.

You know you don’t have to go and see them?

Poorside wrote: »
    You know you don’t have to go and see them?

No ****. Definitely not the alternative festival I've frequented for years.

No semblance of curation over the line-up either. Obvs become very lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Prodigy:D:D
    But as for the rest im shocked! Not being dramatic but Cleary shows something has changed within FR and their strategy or lack of. What you have here is a complete narrowing of the demographic 17 -23 year olds, anyone else will feel pushed out. It will be back to Oxygen groups of 30 odd post leaving certs puking and the like. We know the potential life cycle

Its been a good ride but that's me done.

Same as. I said it 2 weeks ago I'd do atn next year. 2nd announcement has confirmed it for me

Kodaline must be pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Anyone hear how 1st day of ATN went????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement