Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Apoplectic about Picture This AND Gavin James after waiting all this time.

Quite possibly the death-knell for me & the festival tbh even allowing for all the usual caveats.

In defence of the booking team Glastonbury have taken on pop acts in the past 15 years without any obvious effect on the quality of the festival or personal enjoyment there. However, EP does seem to have taken on an overload of vapid pap this year and if the trend worsens then I'm off elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

Just a heads up, Dunnes are doing mix and match 2 for €50 quid slabs and spirits.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Apoplectic about Picture This AND Gavin James after waiting all this time.

Quite possibly the death-knell for me & the festival tbh even allowing for all the usual caveats.

Not a fan of either, but did you see the crowd Gavin James had at Coachella?
    Picture This sell tickets in Ireland better than the Kinehans sell heroin.
    Are either on my Spotify playlists? No. Will I go see either of them? Probably not. Can I understand why they were booked? 100%. Go see something else when they're on, there'll be loads of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    In defence of the booking team Glastonbury have taken on pop acts in the past 15 years without any obvious effect on the quality of the festival or personal enjoyment there. However, EP does seem to have taken on an overload of vapid pap this year and if the trend worsens then I'm off elsewhere too.

I get what you're saying but the scale of Glastonbury and the quality of line-up otherwise means they can't be compared. Take 2017 for instance, Sheeran played but you also had Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Father John Misty, Moderat and that's just off the top of my head. Sadly, this year's EP line-up is utterly wretched. I'm in shock at how bad it is overall.

I get what you're saying but the scale of Glastonbury and the quality of line-up otherwise means they can't be compared. Take 2017 for instance, Sheeran played but you also had Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Father John Misty, Moderat and that's just off the top of my head. Sadly, this year's EP line-up is utterly wretched. I'm in shock at how bad it is overall.

It's subjective. What appeals to you, may not appeal to others. You can't please all the people all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Glastonbury is more than twice the size of EP so you'd expect a greater calibre of act. The second tier of acts on the poster this year are the worst I've ever seen but four out of the five headliners are very impressive.

We've got the best rapper on the planet (Kendrick), two great 90s dance/trip-hop acts (Progidy & Massive Attack), a recent Mercury winner who was superb in 2015 (Benjamin Clementine), the legendary Mavis Staples who wowed Glasto three years ago and an assortment of very decent live acts like St. Vincent, Gomez, Ash, Sleaford Mods, Seamus Fogarty, Bitch Falcon, Gwenno, Garbage & Cigarettes After Sex. There are also some smaller announcements to come and there'll be plenty there for everyone.

It's hard to look at the dross on the poster but there is life beyond it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's subjective. What appeals to you, may not appeal to others. You can't please all the people all the time.

Nah. But when booking the guts of 300 acts you should be able to make a good stab at it.

The clear trend this year is towards the twee soulless insta pop genre though.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nah. But when booking the guts of 300 acts you should be able to make a good stab at it.

The clear trend this year is towards the twee soulless insta pop genre though.

Because of Picture This, Walking on Cars and Gavin James? There are plenty of acts that would not fall anywhere near the "insta pop" genre. Massive Attack, The Prodigy, NERD, Kendrick Lamar, St Vincent off the top of my head. There is plenty there for everyone, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

haitens wrote: »
    Anyone hear how 1st day of ATN went????

Amazing venue, great vibe, not much in the way of traffic jams.. free flow policy for drink.... Great stages , great music.

Camping and tent space is a bit of a joke tho...
    Not much in the way of organisation and space was very very tight .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Because of Picture This, Walking on Cars and Gavin James? There are plenty of acts that would not fall anywhere near the "insta pop" genre. Massive Attack, The Prodigy, NERD, Kendrick Lamar, St Vincent off the top of my head. There is plenty there for everyone, as usual.

Nah... Add on top of those :
    Dua lipa
    George ezra
    The kooks
    Delorentos
    The coronas
    Ash
    Sigrid
    Friendly fires
    Inner circle
    Hudson tayor
    Hermitage green
    Jungle

Plus many others that could be put into that catagory but are quite good like
    Wyvern lingo
    Sevdaliza
    Chvrches
    Le femme

So say what you want but there most definitely is a tangible move towards chart pop music this year more than previous.
    The under liners used to be a lot more eclectic on the main stages. Now it's down to the likes of b+s and OVs to book those acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

haitens wrote: »
    Anyone hear how 1st day of ATN went????

Jus chatting my brother, hes there for weekend, great night he had, had a very dance event feel he said all most everyone down there off their heads by 8 or 9, he said if class as not utmr thing mightnt be festival for u. A more than normal amount of drugs down there he said and seen two fights which is nasty too hear, it can happen unfortunately.. . Traffic was terrible he said going in but it is the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend.... He's just up now opening a can and ready to take on the day, I'm heading to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭endainoz

Just waking up for the second day of indie, traffic on the way in for next was non existent. Nice small festival all the same. Simple layout and easy to navigate. From a music point of view it was mainly Irish acts that had all the attention last night. Started off with a bit of Wyvern Lingo and then Ham Sandwich blew us all away! Mainstage was wedged for Walking on cars, stayed away from that one. Also saw a bit of circa waves and Sigala for the craic, and finished up with 80s v 90s dj set in a big shed. It was great fun! Jake Bugg tonight will be a highlight.

endainoz wrote: »
    Just waking up for the second day of indie, traffic on the way in for next was non existent. Nice small festival all the same. Simple layout and easy to navigate. From a music point of view it was mainly Irish acts that had all the attention last night. Started off with a bit of Wyvern Lingo and then Ham Sandwich blew us all away! Mainstage was wedged for Walking on cars, stayed away from that one. Also saw a bit of circa waves and Sigala for the craic, and finished up with 80s v 90s dj set in a big shed. It was great fun! Jake Bugg tonight will be a highlight.

Enjoy, jake bugg is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Nah... Add on top of those :
    Dua lipa
    George ezra
    The kooks
    Delorentos
    The coronas
    Ash
    Sigrid
    Friendly fires
    Inner circle
    Hudson tayor
    Hermitage green
    Jungle

Plus many others that could be put into that catagory but are quite good like
    Wyvern lingo
    Sevdaliza
    Chvrches
    Le femme

So say what you want but there most definitely is a tangible move towards chart pop music this year more than previous.
    The under liners used to be a lot more eclectic on the main stages. Now it's down to the likes of b+s and OVs to book those acts.

Friendly fires? Jungle? I don’t think you’d call them chart pop music.

Easy Rod wrote: »

Id have them front and centre as chart pop music!!

Id have them front and centre as chart pop music!!

Then you're an idiot.

Then you're an idiot.

Wow

:)

Relax Davy. It's a back holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Then you're an idiot.

Surely you can get your point across without name calling. This isn't After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Now that I have gotten through the disappointment of yesterday's announcement and recognised there are a few decent acts in there and a number to research when do we think we will get salty dog and Jerry fish that normally have quite a few worth seeing. Optimism is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd assume we'll get those now in quick succession over the next week and a bit, there's absolutely no reason to hold anything up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Now that I have gotten through the disappointment of yesterday's announcement and recognised there are a few decent acts in there and a number to research when do we think we will get salty dog and Jerry fish that normally have quite a few worth seeing. Optimism is the way to go.

Agreed Mucker46. There are a few great acts! For the €160 I paid its still deadly value! Listening to new stuff all week and just hoping and praying that the acts I want to see arent all clashing. Cant wait to sit into that chair on the Friday and the hiss of the first can. Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Easy Rod wrote: »

Ash as well ffs.

I suppose Death Grips are too? What a load of ****e you're talking Syd. Just because you don't like a band doesn't make them pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I'll be at the front for Mavis. Not the household name that Chaka Khan was last year but she has some great tracks from the late 60s/early 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WmlUXsjSv8

The wife is super excited about her. I've not got a clue who she is

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Ash as well ffs.

I suppose Death Grips are too? What a load of ****e you're talking Syd. Just because you don't like a band doesn't make them pop.

Im old enough to recognise radio friendly pop music no matter how it's dressed, and hell yes Ash are a pop band. I remember exactly how they were received when they came out first. Remember they came out first at the height of the grunge and hair metal era and were extremely radio friendly pop in comparison.

And you actually couldn't have picked a more alternative comparison in death grips (who are definitely on my to see list)

Putting jungle, friendly fires and Ash in the same conversation as death Grips is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Im old enough to recognise radio friendly pop music no matter how it's dressed, and hell yes Ash are a pop band. I remember exactly how they were received when they came out first. Remember they came out first at the height of the grunge and hair metal era and were extremely radio friendly pop in comparison.

And you actually couldn't have picked a more alternative comparison in death grips (who are definitely on my to see list)

Putting jungle, friendly fires and Ash in the same conversation as death Grips is just silly.

They're rock music ffs, stop claiming black is white and get a grip on yourself. Claiming a band that released an album like Meltdown is pop is just comically deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just realised no tama impala ...

BadTurtle wrote: »
    They're rock music ffs, stop claiming black is white and get a grip on yourself. Claiming a band that released an album like Meltdown is pop is just comically deluded.

If you don't think rock can be pop then that's where we differ.

Songs like shining light, girl from Mars, burn baby burn, oh yeah, cherry bomb, Neon etc

All pop no matter how they're dressed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

we are all abit tetchy lads, yes im shocked to see picture this on top of the bill! im sad actaully but hey im not gonna let it ruin what is always a great weekend for me... their is a serious range of music there no one can deny that... i for one am not going to let a couple of bands on the lineup stop me having a ball... i love a bit of a rave late at night and tbh am delighted with camelphat, daithi, dj koze, king kong company, peggy gou, nina kraviz and most of all dennis sulta... like thats without even mentioning the prodigy.... yes the part im finding the toughest is the bands and lack of quality there of.... theres no getting away from this but to be honest instead of me dragging my mrs and her sister to bands they have never heard of maybe i should do the decent thing and let them drag me to see one of the bland irish bands they all love.... look it will be an hour or two out of the weekend no biggy.. the festival is for 55,000 people there is something for everyone... like i liked old school rap 20 years ago but have no interest in kendrick lemar but when the masses go and see him i will have loads of space and wont be crouded out in some other tent as all the crouds will be at kendrick... once again i wont lie the quality of bands is tough but hey maybe for once il go see something in trenchtown, hazelwood or other voices... jerry fish announcement still to come and i loved sultans of ping, relish and frank and walters in there so im hopeful for that... not big into going to see comedians at a festival jus not my thing but that announcement is still to come... for 160 is it good value... yes i certainly think it is... id spend 160 on two days out down the local doing the same boring old ****e... so why not spend it on a mad oul weekend like that...indipendience and sea sessions has a much more oxegeny line up and that festival example played in galway but no one says anything... people love to hate on the picnic... picture this will yes bring the teenagers out in droves but if announced for the sunday then isnt the sunday always full of drunk teenagers anyway... none of these teens could name a nerd or massive attack song never mind 3 or 4 prodigy songs so the argument they solely aimed the bands at teenagers is false.... not defending ep here as its killing me the lack of a jack white, the coral, the libertines jeeez anything like that in there but jus stating the facts... i repeat if masses of crowds are heading to act u dont like head to any of the 7 other stages...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

ab4248 wrote: »
    Agreed Mucker46. There are a few great acts! For the €160 I paid its still deadly value! Listening to new stuff all week and just hoping and praying that the acts I want to see arent all clashing. Cant wait to sit into that chair on the Friday and the hiss of the first can. Bliss

Works out at €7.86 per band for me so far, I think that’s decent value ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

1st album came out in 1996 think they had an ep few years before maybe 1994 with Uncle Pat and Jack names the planets on it. Was this the height of hair metal? Or even the height of grunge? Dunno about that. Even if it's not as heavy by comparison does that make it pop. For me Ash are a rock band with a few poppy songs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement