Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I haven't been since 2015 and still read & comment on the thread. Will always take an interest in Irish festivals whether I go or not, but especially EP!

Any sign of a return in the near future? Most of the last few years have blended into each other. However, despite a seemingly weaker lineup last year was the best I've had in years and that seemed to be reflected on the feedback here. Loads of time spent at Trailer Park, B&S, Salty Dog, OVs & Mindfield. Plus there are always some great acts in the main arena, few time slots without a decent option for someone good to see.

As an alternative my sister & her husband are sending back great reports from ATN. There with their 8 & 6 year old kids and loving it.

the_gommes wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, she’s just jumped right up my to see list. Sounds right up my street.

As someone who has to work in an environment with either 2fm or today fm playing constantly in the background, I can confidently state that I’ll spend less time listening to picture this/Gavin James or any of the rest of those whingebags than I do on a regular weekday. More positive suggestions, less lamenting the lost magic of EP past from here on I say!

Seamus Fogarty is my big recommendation:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭the_gommes

Poorside wrote: »
    What kind of stuff do you like?

I’m most looking forward to the Blaze, Death Grips, Mount Kimbie, Wolf Alice, St Vincent, Prodigy. So anything down those streets really. Quite a few on B&S that I’m liking as well. Bitch Falcon, Daithi, Pillow Queens, Roe & Ryan Vail will all get a visit if possible!

This thread has been great for highlighting some of the lesser known acts in amongst the (fully justified) disappointment at the quality of the heads & subs. Any more suggestions for good rock/electronica are very welcome. I’m already gonna check out Fontaines D.C. & Bad Bones as a result of recommendations from here, my weekend is filling up quite nicely!

And another from Fogarty. A pity he's not in B&S. Other Voices is a lovely little venue but the 10/15 mins getting back to the main arena (including security) puts me off if times are tight between acts. Same goes for the Salty Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭charlietully

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Bands I haven't seen before I am looking forward to
    Whenyoung
    RSAG
    Sleep thieves
    And still lots more to discover

Saw RSAG last weekend at sunflower fest. Class act. You will enjoy.

• Advertisement

Mavis Staples:

Mavis Staples again:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Someone start a list:

Walking on Cars Friday 7pm on their website
    Mik Pyro 2.45pm Sat as stated by himself on fb
    lets hope he finds his missing guitar before EP.
    Looking forward to seeing him and secretly hoping he plays a few from his Republic of Loose days.

Gomez Saturday as they are playing in other venues Friday and Sunday according to their website.

Stella Donnelly Sat Other Voices on her fb

Daithí Sunday evening Body and Soul as stated by himself on fb.

Ill have to head home to the kids Sunday evening so I'm resigned to missing Daithí, and The Prodigy, and Picture This. Annoyed as I wanted to see them.

What are the chances of some bands playing twice over the weekend.
    Last year KKC (someone pulled out I think) and Keywest played twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Saw RSAG last weekend at sunflower fest. Class act. You will enjoy.

Thanks had heard of him before but hadn't listened to him really liking it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Someone start a list:
    Mik Pyro 2.45pm Sat as stated by himself on fb
    lets hope he finds his missing guitar before EP.
    Looking forward to seeing him and secretly hoping he plays a few from his Republic of Loose days.

Gomez Saturday as they are playing in other venues Friday and Sunday according to their website.

Stella Donnelly Sat Other Voices on her fb

Daithí Sunday evening Body and Soul as stated by himself on fb.

Ill have to head home to the kids Sunday evening so I'm resigned to missing Daithí, and The Prodigy, and Picture This. Annoyed as I wanted to see them.

What are the chances of some bands playing twice over the weekend.
    Last year KKC (someone pulled out I think) and Keywest played twice.

Colombia mills doing other voices and in main arena announcement they are excellent live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭endainoz

Day two of indie was fantastic, Jake Bugg didn't disappoint. He kept a fairly large crowd with just an acoustic guitar. Of the others Wild Your seem destined for big things, saw the very end of Kate Nash for foundations, so happy someone threw a lemon at her! By far the main highlight from last night was King Kong Company. It was my first time seeing them live and the visuals we're absolutely amazing. Such an unreal show will definitely be seeing them again at EP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Any sign of a return in the near future? Most of the last few years have blended into each other. However, despite a seemingly weaker lineup last year was the best I've had in years and that seemed to be reflected on the feedback here. Loads of time spent at Trailer Park, B&S, Salty Dog, OVs & Mindfield. Plus there are always some great acts in the main arena, few time slots without a decent option for someone good to see.

As an alternative my sister & her husband are sending back great reports from ATN. There with their 8 & 6 year old kids and loving it.

Would never say never! Have had some of the best times of my life there and there is just something brilliant about Irish festivals, Body & Soul reminded me of that.

I'm glad ATN seems to be doing well, it's good to have another "alternative" festival in Ireland, especially as some festivals e.g Longitude have totally gone in the opposite direction they started from

Would never say never! Have had some of the best times of my life there and there is just something brilliant about Irish festivals, Body & Soul reminded me of that.

I'm glad ATN seems to be doing well, it's good to have another "alternative" festival in Ireland, especially as some festivals e.g Longitude have totally gone in the opposite direction they started from

Yeah, though I've never been Body & Soul to me is more appealing than ATN. Vibe, acts and location appeals more. Let's see in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

the_gommes wrote: »
    I’m most looking forward to the Blaze, Death Grips, Mount Kimbie, Wolf Alice, St Vincent, Prodigy. So anything down those streets really. Quite a few on B&S that I’m liking as well. Bitch Falcon, Daithi, Pillow Queens, Roe & Ryan Vail will all get a visit if possible!

This thread has been great for highlighting some of the lesser known acts in amongst the (fully justified) disappointment at the quality of the heads & subs. Any more suggestions for good rock/electronica are very welcome. I’m already gonna check out Fontaines D.C. & Bad Bones as a result of recommendations from here, my weekend is filling up quite nicely!

Sounds like most of the stuff I’ll be heading to,The Lost Brothers are a great duo at the other end of the scale from most of those but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Odds on how many times Maxim shouts "WHERE THE FúCK IS DUBLIN" and/or "MY DUBLIN WARRIORS".

Sleaford Mods aswell. Nice! One of the best bands about at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

The Nal wrote: »
    Odds on how many times Maxim shouts "WHERE THE FúCK IS DUBLIN" and/or "MY DUBLIN WARRIORS".

Or pronouncing Ireland "ISLAND"

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mgkelly

The Orielles are an excellent addition. Their debut album Silver Dollar Moment is superb. Playing a lot this summer and hoped they'd be on. Heard them described somewhere as post-punk (!) but they are classic indie pop, I think (mindful of the bitch fighting earlier about 'pop'...). If Sarah Records still existed, they'd be signed. Excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

endainoz wrote: »
    Day two of indie was fantastic, Jake Bugg didn't disappoint. He kept a fairly large crowd with just an acoustic guitar. Of the others Wild Your seem destined for big things, saw the very end of Kate Nash for foundations, so happy someone threw a lemon at her! By far the main highlight from last night was King Kong Company. It was my first time seeing them live and the visuals we're absolutely amazing. Such an unreal show will definitely be seeing them again at EP!

KKC put on a brilliant show, to anyone reading who hasn't seen them before, get yourself to them at EP. Legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Wooderson

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Or pronouncing Ireland "ISLAND"

CARNTHEARYA

Ryan Vail is closing B&S main stage on Saturday night as per his FB page, so on about 3am I presume? I’d recommend him highly, nice chilled electronica from Derry. He puts on a great show, all solo & really tight performance. He has a really impressive laser setup to go with it.

I kinda think he’d be more suited to an earlier slot but it’ll depend on what our humour is like at that point. A bit of a chill out might be welcome, but I could also be giving it socks up the front of the salty dog just as easily! :D

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And another from Fogarty. A pity he's not in B&S. Other Voices is a lovely little venue but the 10/15 mins getting back to the main arena (including security) puts me off if times are tight between acts. Same goes for the Salty Dog.

This is always a problem. It’s fine if there’s a good run of acts between salty dog & OV or if there’s nothing of note on in the main arena but it makes for a tough decision if you’ve got a tight turnaround between acts in the arena & outside. Very annoying when you hit security at a peak time & get a thorough pat down, missing part of an act you wanna see & then breezing through without any search whatsoever 2 hours later!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You'd wonder why EP can't manage to have a free flow alcohol policy? Almost all the smaller fests have it and they are the EPs of the future, including B&S and All Together Now. Would it really cost them that much in sponsorship? I think they are focusing their money in the wrong places. If reports of what Lamar's fee was for festival appearances in the UK are true then EP are probably paying him 7 figures, I can't help but think that money would've been better spent elsewhere?

MadYaker wrote: »
    You'd wonder why EP can't manage to have a free flow alcohol policy? Almost all the smaller fests have it and they are the EPs of the future, including B&S and All Together Now. Would it really cost them that much in sponsorship? I think they are focusing their money in the wrong places. If reports of what Lamar's fee was for festival appearances in the UK are true then EP are probably paying him 7 figures, I can't help but think that money would've been better spent elsewhere?

55,000 people approx not buying 2 pints an hour for 3 nights. It's very simple maths, clearly the sponsors are spending the cash to get EP to enforce those rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BadTurtle wrote: »
    55,000 people approx not buying 2 pints an hour for 3 nights. It's very simple maths, clearly the sponsors are spending the cash to get EP to enforce those rules.

Was thinking of that over last couple years. Reckon it’s probably more along the lines of 50,000 (exclude kids and others) @ maybe 4 pints each (average cos not every one drinks / does the dog on it) in the arena a day @€;6.50 a pint.

It’s got to be in the ball park of a million plus in bar sales over the weekend.
    I don’t know how they structure the bar licenses (flat but large fee or percentage of sales) but it’s likely to be a very very chunky contribution to EP’s budget / profit on top of ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

25 sleeps.

Was thinking of that over last couple years. Reckon it’s probably more along the lines of 50,000 (exclude kids and others) @ maybe 4 pints each (average cos not every one drinks / does the dog on it) in the arena a day @€;6.50 a pint.

It’s got to be in the ball park of a million plus in bar sales over the weekend.
    I don’t know how they structure the bar licenses (flat but large fee or percentage of sales) but it’s likely to be a very very chunky contribution to EP’s budget / profit on top of ticket sales.

50k punters x 12 pints each over the weekend x €6.50 average is €3.9 million. And I reckon that's a conservative estimate of the takings. No wonder Heineken protect their brand.

In the early years there was a tiny craft beer stall (2006 & 2007) plus an independent cider outlet and a van selling wine. All since long gone as are Chai Wallahs who got kicked out after selling spirits in their tea/coffee after hours.

I can't see any other alcohol sellers getting a look in for a while. Nor a free-flow booze policy emerging. In fairness to Heineken they've probably helped keep the festival afloat in the loss-making years and there's no other large festival in Europe (bar Glasto) with a free-flow policy.

Mr.S wrote: »
    You'd wonder how other (and bigger) festivals can still retain drinks sponsors and have a free-flow system though.

But yeah, nothing in it for EP to change whatever deals are in place.

Even with a free flow system people are still going to buy from the bar, you're not going to carry around a bag of warm cans all day!

Speak for yourself! :P

You'd wonder how other (and bigger) festivals can still retain drinks sponsors and have a free-flow system though.

Even with a free flow system people are still going to buy from the bar, you're not going to carry around a bag of warm cans all day!

Bar Glastonbury is there another large festival doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Just heading home from ATN and my first experience of free flow alcohol. Brilliant, even with warm beer. No queues and searches going into main arena.. Also a lot easier on the wallet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Of course people would carry cans around not everyone can pay 6.50 a beer all weekend... And I don't think any other 55000 plus festival bar glastonbury has a free flow policy...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement