Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Just recovering from a weekend in Beatyard. Nice little set up alright. Wouldn’t be swapping it for EP but 75 quid for the whole weekend walking distance from my house was a massive plus.

Great weather, reasonable crowd, good bands! St Germain pulled out last minute as his equipment got lost and god am I glad. Got a band called Confidence Man to cover who had the early slot in the day and they tore the house down. Really enjoyed it. Roll on EP!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I like to buy the odd drink inside the arena. My self and the missus usually treat ourselves to a couple of bacardi cocktails and the odd mojito before delving inti the rucksack for a few warm tinnies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is one place that sells a few ales and stuff as well if you don’t want the Heineken / orchard theives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    50k punters x 12 pints each over the weekend x €6.50 average is €3.9 million. And I reckon that's a conservative estimate of the takings. No wonder Heineken protect their brand.

never let me do sums at silly o'clock, forgot to multiply by the 3 days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Also of importance for craft beer weirdos like myself is that its nice to be able to drink the beer you want rather than the beer that sponsors the thing.

Beatyard is run by a craft brewer/pub chain, had a main sponsor Becks tent and several smaller bars with coctails etc.

I get that they make significant income from sponsorship and overcharging for pints, but surely they could allow some smaller brewers a chance to sell a few pints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

MadYaker wrote: »
    There is one place that sells a few ales and stuff as well if you don’t want the Heineken / orchard theives

Yes the Snug or something... But it's the Heineken ale, forget the name of it. I don't think there's any independent stuff available anywhere on site.

You can be sure Heineken are paying a big premium for exclusivity so it won't change any time soon

Edit: Cute Hoor. Between that, Heino, Tiger, Paulaner, Murphy's and Orchard Thieves, they pretty much have all bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Yes the Snug or something... But it's the Heineken ale, forget the name of it. I don't think there's any independent stuff available anywhere on site

I wonder is that the place that sells the 9% cider

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I use that bar a fair bit though it's Heineken-owned beers only (Moretti, Murphys, Cute Hoor, etc). Would be delighted if they brought their Lagunitas IPA to Stradbally for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Mucker46

When do you think salty dog and Jerry Fish will be announced usually add a few to my to see list. Working hard on research, to annoyance of wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

In the early years there was a tiny craft beer stall (2006 & 2007) plus an independent cider outlet and a van selling wine. All since long gone as are Chai Wallahs who got kicked out after selling spirits in their tea/coffee after hours.

The loss of scrumpy from Pieminister was when EP lost it’s mojo. There were a number of ad-hoc food and drink stands in the first couple of years that were great. There was a West Indian woman with great grub, and a decent bakery too. If Chai Wallah got dropped on the back of after hours toddy’s, I wonder how the other well known source of the same at EP manage to keep their pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

alastair wrote: »
    The loss of scrumpy from Pieminister was when EP lost it’s mojo. There were a number of ad-hoc food and drink stands in the first couple of years that were great. There was a West Indian woman with great grub, and a decent bakery too. If Chai Wallah got dropped on the back of after hours toddy’s, I wonder how the other well known source of the same at EP manage to keep their pitch?

CWs being kicked out could have been due to the Gardai, promoters or beer sponsors. I'm not sure.

And is the other well-known source in the main arena? Not familiar to me but best not to name it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

CWs being kicked out could have been due to the Gardai, promoters or beer sponsors. I'm not sure.

And is the other well-known source in the main arena? Not familiar to me but best not to name it anyway.

It is, and I wouldn’t. It’s a public service they supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Right, ATN out of the road, time to start gearing up for Stradbally. Saw Oscar Jerome, David Keenan and the Lost Brothers, all playing EP and well worth a look. Point me in the right direction, folks. Have we found any guitar stuff yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nah... Add on top of those :
    Dua lipa
    George ezra
    The kooks
    Delorentos
    The coronas
    Ash
    Sigrid
    Friendly fires
    Inner circle
    Hudson tayor
    Hermitage green
    Jungle

Plus many others that could be put into that catagory but are quite good like
    Wyvern lingo
    Sevdaliza
    Chvrches
    Le femme

So say what you want but there most definitely is a tangible move towards chart pop music this year more than previous.
    The under liners used to be a lot more eclectic on the main stages. Now it's down to the likes of b+s and OVs to book those acts.

that may honestly be one of the most musically snobbish things I've read on this thread and that's an achievement

Ash may not be everyones cup of tea but a pop act they aint

inner circle old enough to be grandparents to most on your list and def not a pop act

le femme, jungle and friendly fires are most def not 'insta pop' acts

check out sigrids performance on other voices not your average simple pop act

dua lipa pop no doubt but a top class one at that

most of the rest will I be seeing them no but its only 6/7 acts over the weekend to avoid go see who you enjoy or sell your ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Right, ATN out of the road, time to start gearing up for Stradbally. Saw Oscar Jerome, David Keenan and the Lost Brothers, all playing EP and well worth a look. Point me in the right direction, folks. Have we found any guitar stuff yet?

While there are good guitar acts on, I don't think the quality is as good as other years. Best I'd recommend are
    St.Vincent (she is a brilliant guitarist)
    Bitch Falcon
    Ash
    Fontaines DC
    Brand New Friend
    Gang of Youths

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Add the Murder Capital to that list, on Other Voices

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

LowOdour wrote: »
    While there are good guitar acts on, I don't think the quality is as good as other years. Best I'd recommend are
    Bitch Falcon
    Ash
    Fontaines DC
    Brand New Friend
    Gang of Youths

Major +1 on St Vincent.

Other acts of note are 1) Field Music - excellent guitarists and all round musicians although not on the heavy side of things and 2) Wolf Alice - more ye olde indie rock act that seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs as far as I can see... certainly from an EP line-up perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Scarlxrd is a very angry young man...spotify playlist on today whilst painting the bathroom

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

The Orielles
    Pale Rivers
    Brand New Friend
    Love Zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was talking to someone not so long ago who works at Radio Nova and I asked them why the station had gone to shiite recently. They said that focus groups had been hired in to assess target audience and the result was to aim at late 30s now settled down who would have been at EP ten years ago.

This tallies with the make up of the 1st and 2nd tier acts this year, with the exception of Kendrick and St Vincent. Acts for the last of the Boomers and Generation X (MTV era) have been completely excluded which really doesn't make financial sense at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

I would say
    Gomez
    Cigarettes After Sex
    Sorcha Richardson
    Garbage
    King Krule

could be counted as guitar acts too, depends what you're into really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

LowOdour wrote: »

Bitch Falcon
    Ash
    Fontaines DC
    Brand New Friend
    Gang of Youths
    Add the Murder Capital to that list, on Other Voices
    thebusher wrote: »

The Orielles
    Pale Rivers
    Brand New Friend
    Love Zombies
    Paddy2012 wrote: »

I would say
    Gomez
    Cigarettes After Sex
    Sorcha Richardson
    Garbage
    King Krule

could be counted as guitar acts too, depends what you're into really.
    Ta all, few there that are on my list already, few more to get stuck into. Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Really disappointed with the lack of nostalgic groups... In the past few years we've had Blondie, Simple Minds, The Boontown Rats, ABC, Madness and The Pretenders to name just a few, all of which were great fun. We'll be relying on Electric Ireland stage this year to deliver some nostalgic feel good moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I was talking to someone not so long ago who works at Radio Nova and I asked them why the station had gone to shiite recently. They said that focus groups had been hired in to assess target audience and the result was to aim at late 30s now settled down who would have been at EP ten years ago.

This tallies with the make up of the 1st and 2nd tier acts this year, with the exception of Kendrick and St Vincent. Acts for the last of the Boomers and Generation X (MTV era) have been completely excluded which really doesn't make financial sense at all...

The youngest of that cohort are now hitting forty. 40-50 year olds are far less likely to attend music festivals than 20 year olds, you would be mad to target EP at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

picked up a new tent with blackout bedrooms for the hangover tomorrow 3 weeks is my last day of work literally cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Mr.S wrote:
    Admittedly I was referring to Glasto and EXIT, but I’m sure there are others

Exit doesn't have freeflow whatsoever but the drink is so cheap it doesn't matter. Buy four beers and get a fifth free, all for under a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The popularity of the line up is confirmed by the demand for tix now.
    A mate of mine is looking and tickets are going for 300e plus!!!!!!
    He's nervous but hopeful he will get one for face value closer to

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that may honestly be one of the most musically snobbish things I've read on this thread and that's an achievement

Ash may not be everyones cup of tea but a pop act they aint

inner circle old enough to be grandparents to most on your list and def not a pop act

le femme, jungle and friendly fires are most def not 'insta pop' acts

check out sigrids performance on other voices not your average simple pop act

dua lipa pop no doubt but a top class one at that

most of the rest will I be seeing them no but its only 6/7 acts over the weekend to avoid go see who you enjoy or sell your ticket

way to quote a post in isolation, if youd actually read my posts in this thread youd see i have actually stuck up for some of the pop acts being slagged off. i have literally posted here that i think theres nothing wrong with pop... but because ive dared name a band you like as "pop" youve taken some offence. Sigrid and Dua lipa are excellent artists, but their still pop, FKA Twigs they are not... same as Jorja Smith.

whether or not you think ash are pop is not the point.... the point is there are a myriad of acts booked this year that have more than a tinge of 'pop' and radio friendliness to them, regardless of their supposed genre. My point is that theres way more of these kind of bands this year than usual, especially higher up the main announcements..... and this is being borne out by some of the previous posts saying how popular the demand for tickets has become. Last year you could have gotten tickets for below face value coming up the weekend. If you want to argue with that go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

anyone have experience selling their pink moon camping, thinking of bailing EP this year and using funds elsewhere. easy/hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mgkelly

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Scarlxrd is a very angry young man...spotify playlist on today whilst painting the bathroom
    Y'see, this is why I love this thread so much. Never heard of this dude before. Give him a spin on the old streaming service & boy, you are right, is he angry! Load of shoutiness. I'll be there to absorb some of that good stuff. Mind you, after an hour of it, one wonders if it would wear one down?! Great find.
    Feel like telling him to settle himself, take a deep breath and have a nice cup of tea!
    Keep this stuff coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement