Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The youngest of that cohort are now hitting forty. 40-50 year olds are far less likely to attend music festivals than 20 year olds, you would be mad to target EP at them.

Is that really true? It may be just the people I’m familiar with but almost all the forty & fifty somethings I know get to at least one festival a year. That demographic generally has more cash, are usually able to buy an early bird straight after EP in September when many youngsters are financially strapped and most oldies feel utterly comfortable at fests that have a wide age range.

The last research by Statista five years ago showed that the average age at Glastonbury was 38.8 years. That’s a hell of a lot of people over 40 to balance out the younger punters. I’d wager that the EP mean age isn’t far off that.

Our personal group range from 36 to 54 and we’ve older pals who’ve occasionally popped in. EP & other fests wouldn’t survive without the over 35s/40s, particularly in the event of an economic downturn when that’d be the demographic most able to afford tickets. Ignore us at your peril FR.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Someone start a list:

Walking on Cars Friday 7pm on their website
    Mik Pyro 2.45pm Sat as stated by himself on fb
    lets hope he finds his missing guitar before EP.
    Looking forward to seeing him and secretly hoping he plays a few from his Republic of Loose days.

Gomez Saturday as they are playing in other venues Friday and Sunday according to their website.

Stella Donnelly Sat Other Voices on her fb

Daithí Sunday evening Body and Soul as stated by himself on fb.

Ill have to head home to the kids Sunday evening so I'm resigned to missing Daithí, and The Prodigy, and Picture This. Annoyed as I wanted to see them.

What are the chances of some bands playing twice over the weekend.
    Last year KKC (someone pulled out I think) and Keywest played twice.

DJ Koze listed as playing Sunday on Pampa records site (so likely correct)

St Vincent also down as Sunday on her own site with EOTR fest on Friday.

As usual, I am much more worried about lots of clashes than there being not enough good acts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Is that really true? It may be just the people I’m familiar with but almost all the forty & fifty somethings I know get to at least one festival a year. That demographic generally has more cash, are usually able to buy an early bird straight after EP in September when many youngsters are financially strapped and most oldies feel utterly comfortable at fests that have a wide age range.

The last research by Statista five years ago showed that the average age at Glastonbury was 38.8 years. That’s a hell of a lot of people over 40 to balance out the younger punters. I’d wager that the EP mean age isn’t far off that.

Our personal group range from 36 to 54 and we’ve older pals who’ve occasionally popped in. EP & other fests wouldn’t survive without the over 35s/40s, particularly in the event of an economic downturn when that’d be the demographic most able to afford tickets. Ignore us at your peril FR.

It's also the demographic who settle down and have kids, who have bills to pay, can't get off work and who simply can't manage three days of carnage in a field.

Average age is not a good measure because older people count for more and so they skew it. So if you have one absolute legend who is 60 and still going, and three 20 year olds just starting out - their average age is 30 but that's meaningless, because three-quarters of your audience are actually only 20. That's who you want to target. (Median age would be a better measure)

I'm in the same age group as you btw and every year it gets harder and harder to get a crew together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The youngest of that cohort are now hitting forty. 40-50 year olds are far less likely to attend music festivals than 20 year olds, you would be mad to target EP at them.

Bragging now ☺ but I've just come back from BBC Radio 1 in Ibiza and I'm 45. Denis Sulta towered over all the rest of the acts and looking forward to seeing him again at EP.

I by chance met the new Head of BBC Radio 1. He admitted that the push to lower the demographic of the station hadn't worked and they've thrown that model out the window now.

I agree that to target EP at an older crowd is wrong but not to have some titans from the 70s and 80s there is bonkers. Younger people love that sh11te. I was full sure Bryan Ferry and/or Roger Daltrey (both fit and touring) would be there but I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭denisstack

anyone have experience selling their pink moon camping, thinking of bailing EP this year and using funds elsewhere. easy/hard?

I bought one off someone else last year, he just forwarded me the confirmation email and we had no hassle checking in on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

denisstack wrote: »
    I bought one off someone else last year, he just forwarded me the confirmation email and we had no hassle checking in on the day.

Is there anything to stop someone selling that to multiple people?? The 1st person to check in gets through but everyone else they sold it too gets turned away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

denisstack wrote: »

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

anyone have experience selling their pink moon camping, thinking of bailing EP this year and using funds elsewhere. easy/hard?

Sold mine to another boardsie earlier this year. Just forwarded on the confirmation email, that’s all that’s needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭denisstack

haitens wrote: »
    Is there anything to stop someone selling that to multiple people?? The 1st person to check in gets through but everyone else they sold it too gets turned away

Nothing to stop them, same as with any print-at-home tickets. Toutless is generally reliable, especially if the seller has sold multiple times before.

It's also the demographic who settle down and have kids, who have bills to pay, can't get off work and who simply can't manage three days of carnage in a field.

Average age is not a good measure because older people count for more and so they skew it. So if you have one absolute legend who is 60 and still going, and three 20 year olds just starting out - their average age is 30 but that's meaningless, because three-quarters of your audience are actually only 20. That's who you want to target. (Median age would be a better measure)

I'm in the same age group as you btw and every year it gets harder and harder to get a crew together.

Doesn't that apply to everyone? I've been paying bills & trying to get off work since 18 (working when at college in my twenties). But the aforementioned extra cash for the older festival goer means bills are more affordable. Age often means greater seniority at work and can lead to great ease at getting leave. Maybe we're lucky but I've never known any hassle for any of our crew at getting time off for festivals. Worst case scenario they'd head down late on Fri & back on Sun night or early Mon.

That same 2013 survey showed that 28 per cent of UK (figures likely similar here)festival attendees were over 41 with 3 per cent over 65. Another 11% were between 35 and 40. Thus 39% over 35 and festival crowds getting older as people realise they don't have to be 22 to go for a weekend in a field. Anecdotally I've seen many people in their fifties head to their first festival.

In terms of getting a crew together we've several heading to EP, a few instead went to ATN and many also went to Primavera Sound this year as well as Forbidden Fruit. That gig-going ain't changing for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

picked up a new tent with blackout bedrooms for the hangover tomorrow 3 weeks is my last day of work literally cant wait

Fresh n Black? Had one a few years, they are a godsend

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

mgkelly wrote: »
    The Orielles are an excellent addition. Their debut album Silver Dollar Moment is superb. Playing a lot this summer and hoped they'd be on. Heard them described somewhere as post-punk (!) but they are classic indie pop, I think (mindful of the bitch fighting earlier about 'pop'...). If Sarah Records still existed, they'd be signed. Excited!

They are one of my finds since the announcement. Loving the album. Takes me right back to the early 90s indie days.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

any idea whos playing the friday guys, besides lemar as im taking it he is playing on the friday

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

DJ Koze listed as playing Sunday on Pampa records site (so likely correct)

St Vincent also down as Sunday on her own site with EOTR fest on Friday.

As usual, I am much more worried about lots of clashes than there being not enough good acts...

While there is the nagging worry of clashes, I learned years ago that there's nothing I can do about it. You're never going to get a clear run through the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Davydeath

So what was the craic with ATN? Worth doing next year?

Davydeath wrote: »

I absolutely loved it anyway and will be getting an earlybird for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

maximoose wrote: »
    picked up a new tent with blackout bedrooms for the hangover tomorrow 3 weeks is my last day of work literally cant wait

Fresh n Black? Had one a few years, they are a godsend

Coleman 6 man with blackout bedrooms have had Coleman before always great quality but my previous one didn't have the blackout bedrooms

It really makes a difference in the morning in you are hanging and need a few hours kip, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

5 stars from me

Second hand report but my sister & her husband loved it. They took their 8 & 6 year olds and said it was very kid-friendly. The line-up improves & I’d consider it for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, fantastic. Get in to the Alltogethernow boards thread, you'll get a comprehensive overview.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

I'm definately going next year. Brilliant festival, very chilled, great venue and great music.. Site is amazing but lots of up and down little hills.. Good, dry weather suits the site. There were certain areas that certainly wouldn't have held up if there had prolonged rain leading up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

eplady2017 wrote: »
    I'm definately going next year. Brilliant festival, very chilled, great venue and great music.. Site is amazing but lots of up and down little hills.. Good, dry weather suits the site. There were certain areas that certainly wouldn't have held up if there had prolonged rain leading up to it.

How was camping? Bring your own the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Excellent weekend,highly recommend couldnt fault anything,more toilets maybe,lovely layout,

everlast75 wrote: »

No, there was podpads and tangerine fields there and some other posh camping bits.

Didn't know anyone staying there so no reports on how it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Savage craic. Reminds me of when I first started going the picnic. Serious chill out vibe. Didn't go down til the Sat morn and ended up in the overflow/VIP campsite. Only thing I could fault was we had one tap for the whole campsite and toilets could have been a bit better with more available . Defiantly heading back again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

everlast75 wrote: »

No issues with camping at all.. I don't do camping at EP (always been campervan or boutique) so I was a little worried about that..Everyone around us was sound (essential for two girls on their own). Usual noise at night but nothing a good set of ear plug wouldn't fix. No bag searches in and out of main arena made nipping in and out for beer so easy.. There were other options, few beer tents, jameson tent, gin tent and I recall a prosecco and wine stall too...
    I did find that it wasn't as messy late at night. Not sure if that was the age demagraphic or because it was free flow people just drank at their own pace and didn't sit around the camp site drinking all their cans before entering the arena.
    I didn't see one "totally off my face" person all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

any of the not going anymore due to Gavin James & picture this crowd selling a ticket please PM me.
    i have the pink moon sorted months ago but no ticket! pink moon will be a much needed oasis away from
    general camping at this one i feel! i went general camping at ATN for first time in many years and was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Had 2 friends go, regular EP goers, other festival goers and they said it was the best one they had been to in years. Poor transport in and out was their only complaint

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Super Extra Bonus Party - Friday - 11.45pm Body & Soul Main Stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement