Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

8 more sleeps :D:D:pac:

8 more sleeps, deadly me thinking we had to wait until next year!!
    Maybe we could round all the bordsies up and gate crash the site, B&S area would be perfect for a mini boardsie EP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

#electricsummer#aha2018

Possible hint from a-ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

nah, it's the hash tag they're using for their summer tour after a bout of acoustic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

See most of Pink Moon has sold out. Mad how popular its become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Graham1978 wrote: »
    See most of Pink Moon has sold out. Mad how popular its become.

Have they increased the number of tents available in line with the capacity increases to the overall festival?

I used it a few years ago and loved it, would have gladly gone back. Haven't been to the last two Picnics but I'd imagine the jump to 50,000 attendees increased the scuffle for spots!

• Advertisement

Ozzy!! ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

23472947_10155363295573621_3241010845861630476_n.jpg?oh=4733f5c521495858094bbd5022ad2df3&oe=5A62ACD0

Snarky Snark Snark

Could get lucky on that, their website has them still in Yurp up to August 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Wow. A-ha are the new Radiohead. That's the first time I've ever used that sentence.

Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Wow. A-ha are the new Radiohead. That's the first time I've ever used that sentence.

They were the old R-Word before Thom Yorke's left ball dropped.

• Advertisement

Stillill42 wrote: »

Really!! I wouldn't rate Aha whatsoever nowhere near as good as that band that can't be named.....

Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Really!! I wouldn't rate Aha whatsoever nowhere near as good as that band that can't be named.....

musically no, but they'd be a whole lot more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

They wouldnt be a headliner though surely!

Snarky Snark Snark

kg703 wrote: »
    They wouldnt be a headliner though surely!

Duran Duran conversation all over again, if they were booked (I’d reckon unlikely) then yes, yes they would be headliners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That's the maddest tour itinerary.

"Here, lads, let's do a UK tour. So, London, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow then?"
    "Nah, let's do Doncaster, Canterbury, Darlington and Yeovil".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Duran Duran conversation all over again, if they were booked (I’d reckon unlikely) then yes, yes they would be headliners.

Would they be a step down?

They are before my time, but so were Duran Duran and I would know quite a few of their songs.. enough to enjoy a set anyway.

A-ha to me are just Take on Me.

Not sure why but I would consider Duran Duran far more mainstream? I love DD as a headliner, was one of the acts I looked forward to most. They were deadly.

I'd go for a Sunday pre headliner slot. Bring New Order back to finish it off. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

A-Ha would be a complete novelty booking. no way in hell they're headlining EP.

Blondie and Simple Minds were 3rd and 4th down on the main stage a few years ago. that's, at best, A-Ha's level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

maximoose wrote: »

They are before my time, but so were Duran Duran and I would know quite a few of their songs.. enough to enjoy a set anyway.

Duran Duran were a step down, A-Ha would be bottom of the barrel stuff.

Duran Duran were a step down, A-Ha would be bottom of the barrel stuff.

Ah Duran Duran were great. I was delighted they were announced.

Aha - not a headliner for me.

But then again, I'm never too fussy on the line up cause I know it'll be great anyways.

HOW MANY MORE SLEEPS

On a different note, I'm looking into going to another european festival next year. My leanings musically would be rock but as long as its not country, I can enjoy most. Anyone had any amazing experiences at any festivals? Ive been to a couple before and was looking at Firenze Rocks (GnR, Foos, Iron Maiden, Ozzy) but the fact that its 4 individual concerts puts me off a little. I like the whole festival feel.

Any 'go there before you die' festivals?

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

HOW MANY MORE SLEEPS

A-Ha would be a complete novelty booking. no way in hell they're headlining EP.

Blondie and Simple Minds were 3rd and 4th down on the main stage a few years ago. that's, at best, A-Ha's level.

a-Ha were far far bigger than either of those could ever hope to have been, they were duran duran sized in their day.

children ted, they're all children...

I'm off to get me ovaltine for lunch, cannot do solids anymore when i've forgotten me dentures.... are those my feet?

Young Fathers playing next year in the Academy. After this years EP - I am there.

Snarky Snark Snark

Young Fathers playing next year in the Academy. After this years EP - I am there.

They were crackin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

maximoose wrote: »

Think that might be the problem with A-ha being a headline act. It's probably a bit too similar to Duran Duran headlining last year and for most people going to ep, possibly would only know Take on me and maybe one or two other songs.

Still, I'd love to see them at ep, really good live and think a one hour set on the main stage on a Sunday evening would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Think that might be the problem with A-ha being a headline act. It's probably a bit too similar to Duran Duran headlining last year and for most people going to ep, possibly would only know Take on me and maybe one or two other songs.

Still, I'd love to see them at ep, really good live and think a one hour set on the main stage on a Sunday evening would be great.

To be honest, I am finding it hard to name even one other song without resorting to google.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

To be honest, I am finding it hard to name even one other song without resorting to google.

Im the very same , I feel that more people would recognise a Duran Duran song then a A-Ha song imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Duran Duran had at least ten decent selling singles, Aha had three.

They are not headline material. Let's stop this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭urbangoo

I'm a huge a-ha fan but would rather they didn't play Electric Picnic. I would love to see them play their own show instead of a festival.
    But if they play Electric Picnic, I will go and see them. Although I would love them to, I doubt they would get a headline slot.

It's a shame so many people just know them for Take on Me. In my opinion, they are hugely underrated and very misunderstood. They were mistakenly sold as a boy band back in the day but have released some amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

urbangoo wrote: »
    I'm a huge a-ha fan but would rather they didn't play Electric Picnic. I would love to see them play their own show instead of a festival.
    But if they play Electric Picnic, I will go and see them. Although I would love them to, I doubt they would get a headline slot.

It's a shame so many people just know them for Take on Me. In my opinion, they are hugely underrated and very misunderstood. They were mistakenly sold as a boy band back in the day but have released some amazing stuff.

Yeah i'd reckon they'd get maybe a 8pm start on the main stage.

Always thought this was a cracking tune:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A-ha had eight top ten UK singles. And don't forget their Bond theme. Last two studio albums (in 2009 & 2015) made the UK top ten. Can't get precise figures but online sources state that both they & Duran have sold over 100 million albums.

I agree that Duran are more recognisable but people may be surprised by how much A-ha stuff is stuck in their sub-concious. I've never been a huge fan but was dragged to them at the O2 in London in March 2016 and they were superb. Stay on These Roads is for me a work of genius. And Harket's voice is wondrous.

If playing they'll be headliners. Just take a look at where they've played in the last few years. Sub-headlining the mammoth Rock in Rio & headlining a Buenos Aires festival were their comeback gigs in 2015. If they're playing I expect a few here to be pleasantly surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement