Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

tonto123 wrote: »
    What's the haunt guys?

A venue in the Body&Soul Village.

the-haunt.jpg?w=525

And some of the mad music contained within.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

the-haunt.jpg?w=525

And some of the mad music contained within.

DJ sets??? All type or do they stick to a particular style of music...
    Noticed it last year but never went in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

the-haunt.jpg?w=525

i stuck my head in it was just weird and it was a bit smelly too
    must revaluate this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭endainoz

Wasn't the haunt a place with this mad scientist fella outside the door trying to coax people in? Just had a vague memory come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

You could spend a lot of Saturday in there in fact, Mick Flannery, Frank & Walters, The Minutes, Le Galaxie, Mother DJs... excellent day of music right there.
    Jesus, you're not joking! From 10 to 4, the list reads Murder Capital, Engine Alley, David Keenan, Mick Flannery, the Frank and Walters, the Minutes and le Galaxie! That's some line-up. I could happily watch all of that. I hope he's got a pitch that befits the quality of his offerings this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

endainoz wrote: »
    Wasn't the haunt a place with this mad scientist fella outside the door trying to coax people in? Just had a vague memory come back.

That was the deprogrammer or sommat like that between the entrance to b&s and trailer park

eplady2017 wrote: »
    DJ sets??? All type or do they stick to a particular style of music...
    Noticed it last year but never went in...

Yeah old vinyl played, it is like a David Lynch set in there, the premise being musicians and singers long departed, so a bit halloweeny as well. The marvellous thing is that some of the music is world music, proper jungle rock n roll music. Crazy folk, obscure reggae, bebop from Africa in the mid sixties early seventies, Psychobilly: Kinda like the Cramps, Nick Cave and the Birthday Party style stuff but more obscurer and from around the world in various languages. The same people do the Gramophone Disco at Townlands Carnival if you have ever been at that festival, but through the night they put on some mad rare Planxty and Christy Moore stuff and a fecking weird mix of Toto's Africa that was tripped out. So, so different from dance music we are used to but it is still dance music in the literal sense. :) Oh I forgot, they have one of the best sound systems of the festival, to hear that old vinyl on it is amazing.

Yeah old vinyl played, it is like a David Lynch set in there, the premise being musicians and singers long departed, so a bit halloweeny as well. The marvellous thing is that some of the music is world music, proper jungle rock n roll music. Crazy folk, obscure reggae, bebop from Africa in the mid sixties early seventies, Psychobilly: Kinda like the Cramps, Nick Cave and the Birthday Party style stuff but more obscurer and from around the world in various languages. The same people do the Gramophone Disco at Townlands Carnival if you have ever been at that festival, but through the night they put on some mad rare Planxty and Christy Moore stuff and a fecking weird mix of Toto's Africa that was tripped out. So, so different from dance music we are used to but it is still dance music in the literal sense. :) Oh I forgot, they have one of the best sound systems of the festival, to hear that old vinyl on it is amazing.

That all sounds absolutely glorious!

That all sounds absolutely glorious!

Jerry Fish would pop in sometimes when he needed a break from his own tent. :)

Speaking of surprise announcements, wouldn't it be amazing if they announced The Specials on the Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The Haunt is terrible lads, best if you all stay away from it really.

Poorside wrote: »

True better keep it mainstream bruh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Bodhrandudes argument was more heartfelt, I'm going to listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Bodhrandudes argument was more heartfelt, I'm going to listen to him.

No, it was built on a bed of lies and just grew from there.
    The worst part about The Haunt is the comfy couches, terrible so they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Little cocktail bar beside The Haunt is nice enough when your full up on beer.
    Popped my head into The Haunt a few times last year didn't know what to make of it, will give it a go this year. How about here for the meet up that won't happen...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,667 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Missed that as they clashed with the return of The Jesus and Mary Chain. Tough call, especially after everyone took great joy in telling me I'd missed the act of the weekend.

And would Nile not be a bit miffed to be below Picture This on the poster?

Yeah i remember that clash. Wanted to see the JAMC myself but ended up going along to chic as my friend told me trust me it’ll be epic and it was. Following chic it was hot chip- top notch that night too.

eplady2017 wrote: »
    Chic as the late night act on Sat would be class..

Few years ago they were on the main stage after blur I think and they went down well

No, it was built on a bed of lies and just grew from there.
    The worst part about The Haunt is the comfy couches, terrible so they are.

You just want it to yerself don't ya. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Few years ago they were on the main stage after blur I think and they went down well

In all fairness to them that whole field in front of the main stage was bopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

After Portishead in 2014. Blur were actually last on the main stage the year after.

• Advertisement

After Portishead in 2014. Blur were actually last on the main stage the year after.

Yeah you’re right sorry the memory does be a bit blurry after all the late nights in stradbally hahaha

Just gotta post this now. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

2FM
    Going to Electric Picnic!? So are we! 😍

The Story of Hip-Hop Part 2. Friday 31st August. Rankin's Wood @ 8.30pm! 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Just gotta post this now. :)

Oh the memories ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Mucker46

You have some memory Badturtle. All the years are blurring together for me and i dont even get that hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Camelphat and Krystal Klear both headlining their perspective stages on the Friday, probably also clashing with Kendrick, is more than a mild annoyance! But oh well, will have to make a decision next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

There’s been a few posts looking for electronic/dance recommendations and this guy seems to be missing from people’s lists a bit...

DJ Koze - some super albums, his DJ Kicks is class. I’m prob over hyped to get to see him do a set tbh. Might even go see him over St Vincent if they clash on Sunday as I’ve seen her a lot lately

Not my favourite tune of his but I do like it, it’s current and likely to be in his set. Sh1t video too...

Looks like st Vincent could well clash with the prodigy, listed as playing Sunday on her website....

There’s been a few posts looking for electronic/dance recommendations and this guy seems to be missing from people’s lists a bit...

DJ Koze - some super albums, his DJ Kicks is class. I’m prob over hyped to get to see him do a set tbh. Might even go see him over St Vincent if they clash on Sunday as I’ve seen her a lot lately

Not my favourite tune of his but I do like it, it’s current and likely to be in his set. Sh1t video too...

I like that, more deep house than a techno thing, I like the simplicity of the subtitles describing the dynamics of the tune. A very nice hi hat thing going on with the beats. What do you reckon, the Little Big Tent or Rankin Woods for this guy.

• Advertisement

Looks like st Vincent could well clash with the prodigy, listed as playing Sunday on her website....

St Vincent's might be an hour set so she might start half an hour or quarter of an hour before the main stage headline closer, actually scrap that, they all will finish at midnight. Catch first 45 minutes of Prodigy as they do start with Breathe and Firestarter is about the fourth or fifth track in. Then nip off and catch the last fifty minutes or so of St Vincent. Best of both worlds, then again it might not work out like that. My dilemma is a possible Death Grips and Prodigy clash, so will catch first part of Prodigy and then go on to Death Grips OR maybe I'll do it the other way round, I just don't fecking know. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement