Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

room_149 wrote: »
    Hendrix for the craic and noise!
    Wilde is the same nowadays.
    IMO it was great during the leaner years (2009 - 2012) when it only half as busy and the punters could camp wherever they wished (The Eco Camp thing only appeared in the last few years- great idea but they took my favourite spot!! :) )
    Joplin is the place to go if you want a decent-ish nights sleep.
    I'll be camping out in the Campervan site myself outside a pals Caravan in the awning if my Crew pass connection falls through.

on the bolded part.... the top level of joplin for sleeping... the lower level can banged out of it from the rave on the woods

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

davew121 wrote: »
    so can we talk about the weather now??

its pis$ing out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not until Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hendrix last year looked like it was pillaged by a hoard Vikings. It's also predominantly 18 year olds.

We were over near the camper van spot, which I believe is Joplin.

We've a group of about 20 this year, so likely head over there again for sake of ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

For anyone who went down on the Thursday last year, did you get sent to the green carpark? We came from dublin and ended up in there and it was great, really close to the salty dog/ Oscar Wilde campsite. Hoping we get sent there again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭keepwalking

When we arrived quite early on the Friday last year, we walked through Hendrix to go to the aforementioned Cold Rooms. It was already like a bombsite at that stage and just felt like it could kick off at any stage. We saw a big piece of metal, like the leg of a chair or something off a tent, being flung through the air backwards and completely randomly, and it hit a girl on the head :( Horrible stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kerrywho

To anyone who went down on Thursday evening last year - how long did it take you to get in? Were there big queues?

Thinking of heading down Thursday (using public transport) and wondering if security takes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

When we arrived quite early on the Friday last year, we walked through Hendrix to go to the aforementioned Cold Rooms. It was already like a bombsite at that stage and just felt like it could kick off at any stage. We saw a big piece of metal, like the leg of a chair or something off a tent, being flung through the air backwards and completely randomly, and it hit a girl on the head :( Horrible stuff!

Walked through Hendrix in 16 & 17. 2016 I was actually appalled and so glad I wasn't camping there. 2017 seemed a bit calmer but still much mankier than the others. Broken chairs & tents everywhere, piles of rubbish & half eaten food, people off their t*ts wandering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, any time I've walked through Hendrix it's always looked a mess. Used to laugh at the p1ss poor attempts at putting up tents. Mangled tents beside pathways and tents set up beside the amusements. Zero chance of sleep anytime over the weekend.

That said, it's generally an age thing. Probably wouldn't have bothered in my teenage days. I like my comfort too much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Camped in Chaplin last year, first time ever, loved it... only downside is the noise from the rave.

Avoided even walking through Hendrix last year, having seen it previous years, have no desire to ever go there again.. walking through oscar wilde is bad enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

d_levins wrote: »
    You're kidding me!!!! Seriously? You mean we didn't have to go all the way to the boutique entrance and through Hendrix??? If so, what was security like? Do I still need to get my foldable bags for wine down my jocks?

yeah, you missed out on that entrance, and there was no searches, strolled through to the main stage drink in hand . .
    I asked Silk Road Tents would it be the same this year and I got back:
    "[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unfortunately not this year it was discussed but the festival promoters pulled the plug on it. Maybe next year we will be lucky and will have this short cut option available. We will currently have to walk along the road past the Hendrix camp site."[/font]
    Pity! Hoping they might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

Yeah if you go all the way down the M7 to stradbally I have always been diverted to Red. Last year I turned off an Monasterevin and went through Kildangan, Vicarstown and Inch Cross and ended up in Green.

i think its pure luck to be honest,
    i dont leave dublin til lunchtime and got to green where my friends leave really early and have been sent to red, both coming from dublin.

ive been going 6 years and have never been sent to red
    i must have a rub of the green (groan)

I've done the Athy route, got to green,
    ive done the straight to stradbally, sent to green,
    ive done the athy route, got forced to divert to stradbally, sent to green,
    the only time i went red is when i had to collect tickets from the booking office

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

This is great stuff on the campsites guys.

As a bit of an older gentleman who would like a small amount of sleep, I'm thinking Joplin is the best spot. Specifically the bottom part of joplin, furthest away from the Rave in the Woods (I'm thinking the Sunday night, when I try sleep off 4 days of drink before driving home the next day.)

The coldrooms are fairly close, and its not too long a walk into the main arena. Also being close to the Salty Dog stage etc is good, for pre-drinking during the day before heading into the main arena and being shafted on festival prices for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

What is the traffic like going to EP? I can't remember the last time but lets say its 2 hours on a normal day, are we talking 3 then with tailbacks to the site? This would be at 3/4pm Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 22 roly123

This is probably a stupid question, but what is the deal with the Cold Rooms? I know it has to be Heineken only but does it have to be Heineken brought on site? Or can you bring in your own? Also do you have to pay to use them?

First time picnic goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭d_levins

What is the traffic like going to EP? I can't remember the last time but lets say its 2 hours on a normal day, are we talking 3 then with tailbacks to the site? This would be at 3/4pm Friday

3pm/4pm is Probably the worst time to leave Dublin at . . I'd add at least an hour onto your journey, The earlier you leave the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

Anyone ever driven down to the site from Dublin on the Saturday morning? Is the traffic ever heavy? Won't be making Friday this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

roly123 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but what is the deal with the Cold Rooms? I know it has to be Heineken only but does it have to be Heineken brought on site? Or can you bring in your own? Also do you have to pay to use them?

First time picnic goer.

You absolutely can bring your own, I don't know if you can leave part of a slab in. I left in two full slabs, and went to withdraw them 6 or 12 cans at a time. There were a few of us drinking them.

You can only leave in Heineken or Orchard Thieves, it really is a decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭keepwalking

roly123 wrote: »

First time picnic goer.

No, you don't have to buy it on site, you can bring your own. I'm not going this year (boo :() but my boyfriend is and has already picked up Heineken to bring, when he saw it on special a couple of weeks back :)

Its free to use. You hand in however many cans you like and they give you a reference number which you use to pick up your cans then over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

3pm/4pm is Probably the worst time to leave Dublin at . . I'd add at least an hour onto your journey, The earlier you leave the better.

No, it will be from Galway most likely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

donal666 wrote: »
    Anyone ever driven down to the site from Dublin on the Saturday morning? Is the traffic ever heavy? Won't be making Friday this year :(
    there'll be very little traffic on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gkhant

dmm82 wrote: »
    For anyone who went down on the Thursday last year, did you get sent to the green carpark? We came from dublin and ended up in there and it was great, really close to the salty dog/ Oscar Wilde campsite. Hoping we get sent there again

Went on hte Thursday last year, and was sent to the Green Car Park which was perfect as we were in PM camping.

The queues for wristband etc. were pretty quick (maybe around 15-20 minutes?) and security were sound, just had a quick glance at our stuff in the trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gkhant

In answer to my own query yesterday and in case anyone else is wondering, I got a response form Festihuts last night about early entry on the Thursday.

They said that they have been informed by PM that they can open for Thursday entry, and to email them if interested.

Same deal as the other PM options, you need a EP early entry ticket per person and for Festihuts they will charge 40 squid per hut (which by my calculation is 10 per person as they can hold 4 people per hut, although there are only two of us! Boo!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Judes wrote: »
    Don't get too excited - breakfast food - flapjacks and muffins (no undercurrents here - or currants) - they stay fresher as dairy free and keeps us going for the 3 days - sorry for disappointing you :D

I am more excited now where are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

...so when is that last burst of tickets being released? Have my cans, have my eco camping, have everything apart from the bollocking ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

Hi. Love reading this thread. I was supposed to go this year with my friend but unfortunately they can't make it now. Undecided whether to sell ticket or go anyway by myself. I haven't been to EP before. If anyone has gone before solo, I would love to know how ye got on. Thanks!

Need to take into account roadworks on the m7 at the moment it's adding an extra hour to my journey most days travelling from Dublin down the country. It's horrific leaving Dublin any day at 3/4pm these days never mind Friday of electric picnic 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Looking at the map I don’t understand why yellow is the worst Carpark?
    It’s beside the Andy Warhol and JH campsites, or am I missing something?

I don’t know how people remember which car park they were in previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Rubysky wrote: »
    Need to take into account roadworks on the m7 at the moment it's adding an extra hour to my journey most days travelling from Dublin down the country. It's horrific leaving Dublin any day at 3/4pm these days never mind Friday of electric picnic ��

https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Our-Departments/Office-of-Corporate-Communications/News-Media/Road-Works-on-the-M7-Motorway-2018-2020.html

I had forgotten about these, might go M9 and across in the afternoon so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement