Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

LG1234 wrote: »
    I'd imagine so.

Jon Hopkins will surely be the big dance act next year unless he does body and soul. He has a new album coming out.
    Off I go to Google Jon Hopkins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

His set a few years back at EP was class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jon Hopkins is great but is he big enough to play on the main stage? Don't think so myself. Justice would be perfect and I think the organisers will have really made a mistake if they don't book them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

no, he definitely isn't.
    the Rankins Wood tent was less than half full when he played a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

no, he definitely isn't.

Midnight Circus was rammed the year after at Body & Soul, i reckon he'd fill the Electric Arena.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Orbital are playing a show in Dublin early August, never heard of the venue, wondering if this rules them out of the EP?

Yea its in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

no, he definitely isn't.

In mitigation he was clashing with the first half or thereabouts of Blur's headline set...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Tago Mago wrote: »
    In mitigation he was clashing with the first half or thereabouts of Blur's headline set...
    the second half of his set was, the first half wasn't and was still half full.
    either way, that was after the relative success of Immunity, and there's been nothing since then to suggest he'll be anywhere near the main stage at EP, let alone closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Pearl Jam euro tour, no Irish date, potential act ?

Whats the deal with a lot of acts skipping Ireland in their tours, is it a promoter issue ?

Justice would be a seriously good, would also like to see Jamiroquai considering they did a euro tour and no Irish date as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Pearl Jam euro tour, no Irish date, potential act ?

Whats the deal with a lot of acts skipping Ireland in their tours, is it a promoter issue ?

Justice would be a seriously good, would also like to see Jamiroquai considering they did a euro tour and no Irish date as well

Pearl Jam's last tour date is mid-July in Portugal. Would strike me as very unlikely that they're holding off for an Irish gig in September.

I'd say it's far more likely that they'd announce a standalone show in Ireland for June-July but if they've announced the rest of the tour and it's not included, it might not happen. Eddie Vedder played 2 shows here last summer though so there's clear demand for PJ in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

the second half of his set was, the first half wasn't and was still half full.
    either way, that was after the relative success of Immunity, and there's been nothing since then to suggest he'll be anywhere near the main stage at EP, let alone closing it.

Did you see the Park stage set at Glastonbury, that was absolutely rammed, half his fans probably didn't realise he was playing at EP or probably stoned off their trolleys.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Did you see the Park stage set at Glastonbury, that was absolutely rammed, half his fans probably didn't realise he was playing at EP or probably stoned off their trolleys.

elevator music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

That tune he starts playing around 6 mins ( it skips then to the end of it then) is his Coldplay midnight remix. One of my favourite electronic tunes, didn't know he played it live. I hope he plays B&S over EP, just think he's better suited to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

s8n wrote: »
    elevator music

You must ride some kicking elevators

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Why take a stairway to heaven when the elevator is free !!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Last years line up was disappointing to be honest, probably the worst in 10 years, especially when it comes to headliners.

Ive heard people say this a lot and it makes me question my own musical tastes, which I had always assumed were fairly mainstream. The big problem I had last year was not having any time to chill out and wanting to see so many bands who were clashing.

I mean I saw about 20 acts I really wanted to see, another dozen or so that were not as urgent but whom I would happily pay to see in a normal gig, loads of people I never heard of before who turned out to be good and I missed maybe twice that of bands I wanted to see but clashed etc. The only band I didnt like was Divine Comedy and thats just because they spent too long playing their new album and only played a few hits. Even then they were still worth seeing!

And I cant even rationalise it on any particular genre basis i.e. Im not a fan of techno but even for those people there were a tonne of options at EP.

Sort of Leonard Cohen and Bowie coming back from the dead, Im not sure who else couldve been added to the lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Pink moon are releasing more tents for sale in March. I emailed them.

Chvrches and Killers announced for June Glasgow gig. I can’t see Killers happening but have so much hope for Chvrches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Say what you want about the Divine Comedy but female photographers invariably escape unscathed from their gigs.

Mental stuff from Josh. What in the name of God got into him?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Well my brother in law text last week to say he'd bought a ticket and pinkmoon for ep. He's coming from Sydney for his 8th Ep (my12th)so I had to purchase ours midweek.
    Here we go again

Eoghan McDermott ran a competition on 2fm today, prize was multiple tickets to events/concerts in 2018 including EP.
    He said "win tickets to electric picnic.... which is sold out"

Anyone hear it?

declanleo wrote: »
    Well my brother in law text last week to say he'd bought a ticket and pinkmoon for ep. He's coming from Sydney for his 8th Ep (my12th)so I had to purchase ours midweek.
    Here we go again

Dragged screaming I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Say what you want about the Divine Comedy but female photographers invariably escape unscathed from their gigs.

Mental stuff from Josh. What in the name of God got into him?

Apparently he has form (last paragraph)
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/0914530530/musician-kicks-photographer-in-the-face-during-rock-concert-sending-her-to-the-er

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That clickbait headline doesn't warrant a click so copy and paste below...

All female comedy line up on Hazelwood on the Thursday. When there's nobody there to watch it. Nice one.
    A new first has just been announced for Electric Picnic 2018, that is guaranteed to make the festival all the more fun and all the more female friendly.

This year the Hazel Wood stage will host a night featuring an all-female comedy line up, as an extra treat for weekend campers.

For the first time in the festival’s history, a stage will be open to the 5,000 early entry campers who arrive on Thursday night before the festival opens its gates on Friday. This very special comedy stage will give a platform to some of the country’s best female acts.

The line up includes; Joanne McNally who will be the watchful eye and MC for the evening, Aoife Dooley, Lisa Casey, Sharon Mannion, Aine Gallagher, Harriet Braine, Ashlee Bentley, Sahar Ali, Blaithin DeBurca, Aoife O'Connor, Christina McMahon, Orla O'Doherty Brown, Fiona Frawley and Grace Mulvey.

The idea was born from a chance meeting at this year’s festival between Festival Director Melvin Benn and Emily O’Callaghan. Emily, a sometime stand up herself, had noticed a lack of female talent in the comedy line up at many festivals, as did Melvin. Separately, striving to bring more gender balance to the festival and the music industry in general, Melvin started the ReBalance programme in the UK and he will now extend the principle with the Comedy Stage at EP.

We can't wait to join the magic at #EP2018!

Kasabian playing Belfast Aug 20th, a week and a bit before EP, no sign of a Dublin gig. As much as I hate them they've got to be odds on favourites now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Kasabian playing Belfast Aug 20th, a week and a bit before EP, no sign of a Dublin gig. As much as I hate them they've got to be odds on favourites now!!

Isn't that just the rescheduled date from the cancelled gig in August? Not part of a full tour I don't think, , played Dublin a few weeks ago as part of the same tour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

maximoose wrote: »
    Isn't that just the rescheduled date from the cancelled gig in August? Not part of a full tour I don't think, , played Dublin a few weeks ago as part of the same tour.

Yea its not part of the tour , its them making up for the cancelled gig this year. Id be delighted if they were announced for EP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement