Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Soooooo....... with the stage times being announced Monday do we suspect that Chic was the last addition to this years line up? 
    I half expected something this morning to send the excitement levels into overdrive over the weekend and then you are into the last week when the stages times are announced and everyone is looking at the weather app. 
    After some homework I am happy enough with the lineup, I think there is enough to keep the gang of 20 busy for 3 full days. 
    Looking forward to : Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Chic, King Krule, Nina Kraviz, Cigarettes after sex, Gomez, Ash, D Sulta, Erol Alkan, Ejeca, Mount Kimbie, Dj Koze, Friendly fires, The Blaze, Fontaines DC, Wolf Alice, Hak Baker, Columbia Mills, Field Music, King Kong company, Wyvern Lingo, and the wife likes Sorcha Richardson and Chvrches. Trinity Orchestra and The Gospel Choir are also on the list, as are Roadhouse Doors and These Charming Men :-)  
    PS not much work being done this week, never mind next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

it wasn't really a "hot ticket" last year, loads of tickets going for less than face value on the week of EP.

here's the toutless thread from this day last year, loads of tickets for sale:
    https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26174&hilit=picnic&start=630

by contrast, it's nearly all people looking for tickets this year, and tickets going for 300+ on the likes of donedeal/fb:
    https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28951&start=765

demand for EP has gone through the roof since the 2nd main announcement.

And how many of those were selling the day before the fest? EP reported full capacity for the weekend. A sold out festival is always going to be a 'hot ticket', but it's apparent that this year is more so than last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Manic Street Preachers at Glasto.

Though in fairness they had brought their own portaloo along.

I would cheerfully kill everyone in this forum to have the Manics announced at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Soooooo....... with the stage times being announced Monday do we suspect that Chic was the last addition to this years line up? 
    I half expected something this morning to send the excitement levels into overdrive over the weekend and then you are into the last week when the stages times are announced and everyone is looking at the weather app. 
    After some homework I am happy enough with the lineup, I think there is enough to keep the gang of 20 busy for 3 full days. 
    Looking forward to : Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Chic, King Krule, Nina Kraviz, Cigarettes after sex, Gomez, Ash, D Sulta, Erol Alkan, Ejeca, Mount Kimbie, Dj Koze, Friendly fires, The Blaze, Fontaines DC, Wolf Alice, Hak Baker, Columbia Mills, Field Music, King Kong company, Wyvern Lingo, and the wife likes Sorcha Richardson and Chvrches. Trinity Orchestra and The Gospel Choir are also on the list :-)  
    PS not much work being done this week, never mind next week.

Literally my list too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

I'd honestly disagree with that. A fair few will opt for ATN but the quality and diversity of the line-up at EP will hold most there. I heard mixed reports from pals who went to ATN - weather & grounds great, very kid-friendly and space at the stages but mediocre quality of music. EP has many things that appeal beside the acts - Body & Soul area, Mindfield, Hazel Wood and a budget of just under €1 million for art stuff. La Furla Dels Baus is likely to be the most spectacular thing this island will see this year.

If I have a bad year at EP and ATN expands then I'll re-evaluate my choice but I've got about 35/40 acts I'd really like to see at EP next weekend and no other Irish festival comes anywhere close.

What is La Furla Dels Baus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

declanleo wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fura_dels_Baus

declanleo wrote: »

Catalan theatre group/acrobats. Going for forty years, they produced the opening ceremony for the Barcelona olympics in '92 and have done a lot of big operatic & corporate stuff since. Truly spectacular stuff. Take a look online.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

What tips can I give my 17 yr old nephew? He and his mates are first timers. Obviously he’s not going to give a toss about footwear or anything remotely sensible. Very basic tips needed.
    I’m die hard Pink Moon so no experience of Hendrix

Just based on the recommendation lists that have been dropping in this thread in the last few days.... Does no-one like Jungle any more? Haven't seen them mentioned in this thread at all. Couple of their tracks came up on my playlist shuffle in the car yesterday and I ha forgotten that they were even on the line up. Have seen them a couple of times before and enjoyed them both times, very slick.

Also another couple that have piqued my interest are Jordan Rakei and Yellow Days.. don't know much about either but I like the sounds I am hearing... anyone see either of these acts live ?

PinkCamper wrote: »
    What tips can I give my 17 yr old nephew? He and his mates are first timers. Obviously he’s not going to give a toss about footwear or anything remotely sensible. Very basic tips needed.

Beware of middle aged men kicking teenagers!

• Advertisement

Give him directions to the Salty Dog for These Charming Men on Sat. A welcoming committee awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

To bring a fake ID cause it’s for over 18s?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

My sister (19) is going for the first time too and I have been spending the last few days giving her little tips. I'd say she is sick of me talking about EP at this stage!

- Don't camp near a path, tree, fence or too close to the food stalls.
    - Try and hit it off with your neighbours on the first night so you can look out for one another.
    - Remember your campsite surroundings otherwise very hard to find tent!
    - Don't spend every day in the campsite. Explore the arena!
    - Pack as light as possible as it is a long walk to the campsite.
    - Ration your drink for each day so you don't run out by Sunday.

My advice would be... love ya little nephew but DON’T COME!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Stay away from Hendrix, unless he is prepared for it... and I mean mentally.

Also, I know its easier said than done, but take it easy on the first night. You go too far on Friday and it'll ruin your weekend.

Have a safe stash of emergency money, get him a cheap nokia phone that won't need a charge, stash a change of clothes in a black bag and get some dioralyte

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Drink as much water as possible to avoid headaches, bad enough having a hangover without being dehydrated as well. Bring a reusable water bottle.
    Buy snacks before going and literally force them into your mouth if you have to. He'll thank himself later for it.
    Brush his teeth every day.
    Pack all his clothes in plastic bags so if his tent floods, his bag or case will be wet but his clothes will be dry. My absolute saving grace every year camping in Wilde.
    Don't camp too close to pathways in the campsite. They become a muddy mess and people trample all over tents close to the edge.
    Put phone on flight mode when not in use to conserve battery. I'm sure he'll want to stick up a few snapchat and instagram stories, grand, but not so grand when hes lost and his phone is dead.
    Wash hair every day with a bottle of cold water and shampoo in the campsite, but in an empty space far away from tents. Lads I camp with swear this makes them feel slightly cleaner and ready for another day's drinking. "A clean head is a clean mind" is the direct quote they use :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

haitens wrote: »
    Is printing an OUT OF ORDER page and putting it on a portaloo with your own padlock so nobody else can use it a bit much. Asking for a friend.

I wouldn't recommend that, all it takes is a dude from Handy Huts to come with metal cutters and they will try to repair loo and will make it available again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Just based on the recommendation lists that have been dropping in this thread in the last few days.... Does no-one like Jungle any more? Haven't seen them mentioned in this thread at all. Couple of their tracks came up on my playlist shuffle in the car yesterday and I ha forgotten that they were even on the line up. Have seen them a couple of times before and enjoyed them both times, very slick.

Also another couple that have piqued my interest are Jordan Rakei and Yellow Days.. don't know much about either but I like the sounds I am hearing... anyone see either of these acts live ?
    ....and Jungle. Completely missed them when reading the poster. If Le Galaxie are playing other than Jerry Fish ill try see them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

I wouldn't recommend that, all it takes is a dude from Handy Huts to come with metal cutters and they will try to repair loo and will make it available again.

Ah would never do that was just a joke

/s was missing, me thinks!

• Advertisement

Catalan theatre group/acrobats. Going for forty years, they produced the opening ceremony for the Barcelona olympics in '92 and have done a lot of big operatic & corporate stuff since. Truly spectacular stuff. Take a look online.

Were these the guys involved over the last few years with the Galway Arts festival too.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

Saw Jungle when they played a few years ago I thought they were great. I only knew maybe two of their songs but the whole set was brilliant from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Were these the guys involved over the last few years with the Galway Arts festival too.

It was a Dutch company this year doing the Birdmen stuff. Macnas also but you obviously know them. These Catalan guys look far more spectacular.

Thanks for the tips! Composing an email to the little bollocks

Man this thread is flying toward the end, do you think we'll see an Electric Picnic 2018 PT 2 thread before the festival kicks off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

No, this is shorter than last years

sh1tty line up confirmed!

/s <---

Last year's had just under 9,000 posts. This year's will pass that soon. I might be wrong but there seems to be a lot more contributors, and a welcome lot of new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Thanks for the tips! Composing an email to the little bollocks

he will ignore all of it, but sure at least you can print the email so that you can literally and metaphorically rub it in his face when he's written off after the weekend...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement