Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rfrip wrote: »
    I see on clashfinder, at global green village, from 9.30pm -10.30pm on sunday, cinema is down
    Is that cinema ie " time traveller" and " floating" etc...fecking love those songs

Yep that is him, was posted on his instagram last night. See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ah yes. For me Pogueology are a perfect way to end my Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Camroc20 wrote: »
    Hey, Have you still go this? Would be interested in taking it as I'm currently torn between camping and Pink Moon. I have a two man reserved in PM but it's cash on arrival so could take yours instead if it helped you out.

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭endainoz

Has anyone noticed a district lack of a Rubberbandits gig in the comedy stage? Will be strange not to have them there considering the crowd they draw every year. I knew blindboy was taking a bit of a step back from the music to focus on other stuff but surprised they aren't doing EP..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

If anything it's more likely that he'd be there himself at Other Voices or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/electric-picnic-first-look-inside-the-festival-site-1.3610435

video from the press day today.

bit from the end text on that page:
    The Electric Picnic could get bigger in the future, according to the festival’s managing director. Melvin Benn, of Festival Republic, said he would like to further grow the festival.

Mr Benn said there’s “clearly a demand” for the festival. “I would like to add more things into the Picnic and actually to do that I need to grow the space a little bit more. If I grow the space a little bit more it maybe that there’s a bit more room for a few more people,” he told The Irish Times during a site visit on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Yep that is him, was posted on his instagram last night. See you there!

Ah excellent. I love time traveller! Speaking of instagram..did you see the last post on Krystal klears account.. looked unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The absolute last thing EP needs is to get any bigger.

The absolute last thing EP needs is to get any bigger.

Think we just need to accept that EP is no longer what it was. It needs to either accept its the new Oxygen and get those sorts of acts lined up or the EP veterans need to look to Body and Soul and that new festival in Waterford (cant remember the name).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It's not looking to be oxygen though, FR ran Glastonbury for a decade and I think that's their template for what they're doing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

"There will be free drinking-water points across all of the campsites and the main arena, beside the toilet blocks."

Oooh great, free drinking water. I am pretty sure that is part of the licence requirements and not a highlight feature.

2gqoe1.jpg

Hogzy wrote: »
    Think we just need to accept that EP is no longer what it was. It needs to either accept its the new Oxygen and get those sorts of acts lined up or the EP veterans need to look to Body and Soul and that new festival in Waterford (cant remember the name).

It's not the new Oxegen. Nor will it ever be. It's a tired and lazy statement (oft repeated) which shows utter disrespect to those people who run the Hazel Wood, Little Picnic, Mindfield, Body & Soul, Trenchtown, Other Voices, Anachronica, Salty Dog, Jerry Fish Sideshow, Global Green, Trailer Park and other stages that would never be seen dead at Oxegen.

Punchestown had a few stages, some bad beer & worse food. Head to Reading or Leeds for a reminder of exactly what EP is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There's two halves to a camping festival: The acts/activities and the attendees.

EP post Oxegen has maintained its theming but has gained a totally different crowd. You can't dismiss that when you're cohabitating with them for the guts of four days.

ED E wrote: »
    There's two halves to a camping festival: The acts/activities and the attendees.

EP post Oxegen has maintained its theming but has gained a totally different crowd. You can't dismiss that when you're cohabitating with them for the guts of four days.

Exactly and the fact that the attendees are increasing year on year means that this demographic can only grows in size/percentage.

ED E wrote: »

Totally different crowd in what respect? I've seen EP retain most of its core attendees while expanding. There are many younger punters amongst the newcomers but there are also many in their 40s, 50s and older who have come for the first time in the past five years. I don't believe the crowd has changed, it's just got busier.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Totally different crowd in what respect? I've seen EP retain most of its core attendees while expanding. There are many younger punters amongst the newcomers but there are also many in their 40s, 50s and older who have come for the first time in the past five years. I don't believe the crowd has changed, it's just got busier.

If you really believe that then you have wool over your eyes.

The numbers of teenagers/young twenty somethings attending the event has increased DRAMATICALLY! Anyway I dont want to be taking away from the festival so not much point in discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Few more from some friends

Snarky Snark Snark

...The numbers of teenagers/young twenty somethings attending the event has increased DRAMATICALLY!...

Good! fresh meat is needed to keep it alive and vital

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

What type of set do Galway Street Club do? They a covers act? Can anyone name a few songs they would usually play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

Mr.S wrote: »
    What's going on in the last photo?!

Practice for this:

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/its-another-first-electric-picnic-2018

The numbers of teenagers/young twenty somethings attending the event has increased DRAMATICALLY!

Thanks. And shouty capital letters don't impress.

What percentage of attendees do you think are under 25?
    And do you think it was solely a thirty-something festival ten years ago? I remember 2010 in particular being seemingly very young and carnage abounding. Highest per capita year for crime there as the Gardai reported.

When you respond I'll send you the FR figures.

Snarky Snark Snark

What type of set do Galway Street Club do? They a covers act? Can anyone name a few songs they would usually play?

They play 1 song, a cover of Ed Sheerans version of Galway Girl

over and over and over and over...

The samaritans will have a stand near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

No covers that I’m aware of, mostly good bluegrass/folk/blues/ country, basically a great party group.

Good! fresh meat is needed to keep it alive and vital

Would if it were true, but it's not. Anecdotal as opposed to the economic and demographic research FR commissioned in 2016/17. I'll post it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Just saw an interview with Melvin Benn on tv3 news. He is predicting good weather and advised fans to take sunscreen. The venue is looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

It will be warm,humid but mostly overcast.
    Friday evening expecting some rain showers but overall very good for the weekend

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Thanks. What percentage of attendees do you think are under 25?
    And do you think it was solely a thirty-something festival ten years ago? I remember 2010 in particular being seemingly very young and carnage abounding. Highest per capita year for crime there as the Gardai reported.

At the time, the Gardai hardly had future statistics now didnt they.

Anyway im going to bow out of arguing with you. I know what I see with my eyes and i dont like what EP has become. I hope you continue to enjoy the festival because I certainly dont anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

That's not an appropriate retooling of that expression.

• Advertisement

At the time, the Gardai hardly had future statistics now didnt they.

Anyway im going to bow out of arguing with you. I know what I see with my eyes and i dont like what EP has become. I hope you continue to enjoy the festival because I certainly dont anymore!

So your own eyes override academic research and factual evidence? Maybe wool over my eyes but I'll go with FR's academic research and assessment from 2017 (sources - Festival Republic and the Leinster Express):

Festival Republic, the company behind Electric Picnic has commissioned an Economic Impact Assessment for 2016. The survey was carried out by Pallavi Arora, MA (UCD, Ireland) MBA (IIT, India). The aim of the study was to improve understanding of the impact of the festival on a local and a national level.

The demographic profile revealed that approx. 25% in the group aged 41-65. Half of the festival visitors surveyed (approx 50%) were in the age of 25-40.

Thus approximately 25% under 25 and that includes all the under-12s taken along by parents. No figures for those but if we say 5% of the crowd then that's one in five of the attendees in the 18-25 age group. They may be noisier but they're far from the majority and possibly consistent with the way it's been since 2004?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement