Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

It's not looking to be oxygen though, FR ran Glastonbury for a decade and I think that's their template for what they're doing here.

I was thinking the same today,they seem to be adding different things every year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

declanleo wrote: »
    I was thinking the same today,they seem to be adding different things every year

And they're trying to be all things to all people in terms of acts booked. Glasto has had a lot of dross on the Pyramid & Other stages since Emily Eavis took over. So have EP now. But both fests have a hell of a lot of alternative acts to see.

Hogzy wrote: »
    At the time, the Gardai hardly had future statistics now didnt they.

Anyway im going to bow out of arguing with you. I know what I see with my eyes and i dont like what EP has become. I hope you continue to enjoy the festival because I certainly dont anymore!

Highest arrest rate at the time. And not surpassed since. Thus remains the highest. Arrests have greatly dropped in the past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'll have no more of this quarrelling. Now is the time for telling each other that we're lovely, how to get a litre of vodka in in your underpants, that we've all got unrivalled taste in music, pretending that we're defo meeting up in our Smiths t-shirts at These Charming Men. Peace and love to everyone out of their box with excitement for Friday, 18 year old scrotes 100% included.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Anyway im going to bow out of arguing with you. I know what I see with my eyes and i dont like what EP has become. I hope you continue to enjoy the festival because I certainly dont anymore!

If the festival has changed, I don't think that is down to a younger age profile per se. Personally (with the usual your mileage may vary caveats), I think I was much more fun at festivals when I was in my early 20s than I am now in my ahem, mid 30s. When I went to my first festival everything about it was wonderful and happy and chilled out. Now I'm cranky, impatient and you can't talk to me until I've had 3 cups of coffee each morning.

It's not about the age of the people, it's about the people themselves. Will this year's lineup attract a bad crowd? It's impossible to say but I suspect it won't. At best, the type of young people who are going this year are into their music, like the festival vibe and are ready for a fun weekend. At worst, they are pedestrian in their music tastes, uncomfortable sleeping in a tent and will be miserable if it rains or maybe even go home early. Other than the professional theives and troublemakers that you will get at every festival, I just don't see EP attracting a bad crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The songs I'm most looking forward to hearing (in no particular order and in the hopes of no St. Vincent/Prodigy clashes):

Stillill42 wrote: »
    how to get a litre of vodka in in your underpants,

That happens if you try to drink it all in one go!

I'll have no more of this quarrelling. Now is the time for telling each other that we're lovely, how to get a litre of vodka in in your underpants, that we've all got unrivalled taste in music, pretending that we're defo meeting up in our Smiths t-shirts at These Charming Men. Peace and love to everyone out of their box with excitement for Friday, 18 year old scrotes 100% included.

Sorry man, I just have a low tolerance level for people unjustified reactionary bitching about EP without thinking through what they're saying. The festival has faults, but it also has many thousands of people making an effort to put on the best and most imaginative weekend of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

You are my favourite poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dixon Bainbridge

Have peggy gou and mall grab been allocated times yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Davysulls86

If you really believe that then you have wool over your eyes.

The numbers of teenagers/young twenty somethings attending the event has increased DRAMATICALLY! Anyway I dont want to be taking away from the festival so not much point in discussing

I was at Electric Picnic as an 18, 19, 20....year old, I'm now 31. What's your point? Children grow up to be young adults and start doing adult things. It's not like the teenagers who went to oxegen are still teenagers I used to go to oxegen too. I also used to take enough pills to level a horse, Im more reserved than I used to be... time changes all

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

ED E wrote: »
    There's two halves to a camping festival: The acts/activities and the attendees.

EP post Oxegen has maintained its theming but has gained a totally different crowd. You can't dismiss that when you're cohabitating with them for the guts of four days.
    Once the lads in the gaa tops show up you know its time to slide on. EP = Oxegen now

Have peggy gou and mall grab been allocated times yet?

Not yet, I'd say little big tent for both, late on most likely

Once the lads in the gaa tops show up you know its time to slide on. EP = Oxegen now

So what you're saying is you need to leave Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We should build a fake supermacs at the motorway exit and hide a pit in front of it. Leave them down there till Monday.

At the time, the Gardai hardly had future statistics now didnt they.

If you don't enjoy it, why fork out a sizable chunk of change to attend it?

Do we know when the IT are drip feeding us the Electric Arena times?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

The songs I'm most looking forward to hearing (in no particular order and in the hopes of no St. Vincent/Prodigy clashes):

What a TotP post, more excited now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The Walking on Cars / Gavin James etc type bands could actually work out quite well for clash purposes:

Saturday during Gavin James and Dua Lipa we have These Charming Men, Mount Kimbie, The Frank and Walters, the Modern Stranglers and King Krule. All sold bands to see, but they are the type I would normally miss if they clashed with a good headliner.

Sunday during George Ezra and Picture This we have sing along social, the Blaze, Cotter Wall, Death Grips, Bitch Falcon and Fontaines D.C. Again, solid bands that I might not otherwise get to see.

And this is without the Electric Arena announcements for those days. The Friday doesn't seem to have much alternative to Walking on Cars, although they are bookended by King Kong Company and Bad Bones, but hopefully Cigarettes After Sex or Wolf Alice will come up then.

Anyone familiar with the internals of how festival scheduling works?
    I assume they know exactly what stage an act is playing before they're booked? They don't just book a load of random acts then decide the stage later? Like they must have a rough time table and book to fill slots I.e. "We've just booked Chvrches for Friday, they'll be a second or third sub act" ?
    Do the bookers take a stage each, then timetable accordingly? Is there any consideration given to clashes or is it a free for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

Mr.S wrote: »
    What's going on in the last photo?!

There’s a clue in the last photo. Why people can’t just save up and buy a ticket I don’t know. The youth have gone mad altogether

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with the internals of how festival scheduling works?
    I assume they know exactly what stage an act is playing before they're booked? They don't just book a load of random acts then decide the stage later? Like they must have a rough time table and book to fill slots I.e. "We've just booked Chvrches for Friday, they'll be a second or third sub act" ?
    Do the bookers take a stage each, then timetable accordingly? Is there any consideration given to clashes or is it a free for all?

MCD like to split crowds when they can for big events. Dont think thats FRs style.

Most of it comes down to availability. EP is paired with Glasto as Oxegen was paired with TITP. Acts will do a gig in England Friday, EP Sunday or something like that. Big acts probably won't back to back it unless its a Belfast/Dub thing.

EG Prodigy have just done Portsmouth this weekend. Friday they're in Italy (Transit day) Sunday they're EP. Next two gigs are back to back as both are UK so its less travelling.

Closed the boot of the car today, not to be opened again until Friday morning.. ready to go now, bar a good ball washing and clean underpants. Work is just getting in the way now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Work is just getting in the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Done with work:D Pre-drinks start tomorrow. Packing Thursday, cya all at salty dog for roadhouse doors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Pics from Bodhrandude

New Jerry Fish tent

n7HBM0R.jpg

Comedy Tent

Yb0BUWi.jpg

Main Stage

k2b6liw.jpg

Entrance to B&S with added thumb.

n2JlQ5M.jpg

Little Big Tent?

Zcz0pfO.jpg

Site of Electric Arena

0Gve6aS.jpg

Part of mind field

bLuMIfw.jpg

New Heineken stage

x1rNbnl.jpg

Rankin Woods(?)

NbPZB6k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Can't see them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Pics from Bodhrandude

New Jerry Fish tent

n7HBM0R.jpg

Comedy Tent

Yb0BUWi.jpg

Main Stage

k2b6liw.jpg

Entrance to B&S with added thumb.

n2JlQ5M.jpg

Little Big Tent?

Zcz0pfO.jpg

Site of Electric Arena

0Gve6aS.jpg

Part of mind field

bLuMIfw.jpg

New Heineken stage

x1rNbnl.jpg

Rankin Woods(?)

NbPZB6k.jpg

Deadly thanks BD/Scruff! Jerry fish tent is a good size!!

Edit... crazy to think the EA isn't even there yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Did he say what the footpaths are areas around Salty dog are like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Jerry fish after getting a bigger tent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Dermwex

Hi lads and ladies, I’m getting dropped up by a friend and was wondering where is the drop off point and is it far from the main entrance? Eco campsite is near the main entrance too isnt it? Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement