Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Mr.S wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys as headliners?

I’d be happy to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I remember the last time Mumford played EP in 2010, I could hear them from the Hendrix campsite and it still sounded horrendous.

They aren't that bad, they just aren't that good. It's complete mortgage music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

That would be pretty good. Hopefully not Bjork though. She does nathin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

The Charlatans announcing a few summer festivals, including Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival in Scotland, 3rd August.
    Been a few years since they played Stradbally. Saw them in December, excellent performance for a snowy Monday evening in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johndoe97

Surely a good sign for any AM fans (myself included) that they have released tour dates only as far as the 14th August? Possible headliners???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    2006 not a bad one to miss BD, not many musical highlights I didn't think. Antony & the Johnsons, Blue Nile, the Rapture & Pet Shop Boys (finishing the weekend in the Electric Arena) all great. But a lot of disappointing performances from Gary Numan, Massive Attack, PJ Harvey (solo) & DJ Shadow (a stop-start set if ever there was one).

Had myself a ball though. Can't imagine ever missing an EP. If I'd no option then I'd be spending that weekend under a duvet.

DJ Shadow was disappointing I agree.. but Gary Numan was epic IMHO. As was Saul Williams, Mogwai, Modeselektor, Soulwax/2 many DJs.

Mogwai could be a decent shout this year. Hopefully the rain won't fall through the tent on to the stage this time.

rubick wrote: »
    Mogwai could be a decent shout this year. Hopefully the rain won't fall through the tent on to the stage this time.

Or they don't eat after midnight .. fecking disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

rubick wrote: »
    The Charlatans announcing a few summer festivals, including Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival in Scotland, 3rd August.
    Been a few years since they played Stradbally. Saw them in December, excellent performance for a snowy Monday evening in Belfast.
    Was at the Limelight myself & would love to see them again at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

im sure this was posted, havenet been here for a month...

Really? No way I'd listen to anything Conor McGregor DJs, he's always playing terrible music in his car videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

im sure this was posted already but i haven't been here for ages.......

ep_zpszqvki4kz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Would love arctic monkeys I just can't see it to be honest.. last couple of years EP seem to be moving away from that type of headliner.. hopefully I'm wrong I would love to see them so I'll keep the fingers crossed.. even though that didn't work for stone roses last year but here's hoping.

Also of anyone with interest eminem has announced European dates with no irish ones on it.. albeit they are all standalone gigs as far as i know!!

mgkelly wrote: »
    Was at the Limelight myself & would love to see them again at EP.
    2011 was the last time they played EP, didn't think it was so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Arctics only announced shows up to the end of August does anyone know if they’ll announce more? Still no word on the album either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

2006 not a bad one to miss BD, not many musical highlights I didn't think. Antony & the Johnsons, Blue Nile, the Rapture & Pet Shop Boys (finishing the weekend in the Electric Arena) all great. But a lot of disappointing performances from Gary Numan, Massive Attack, PJ Harvey (solo) & DJ Shadow (a stop-start set if ever there was one).

Had myself a ball though. Can't imagine ever missing an EP. If I'd no option then I'd be spending that weekend under a duvet.

DJ Shadow was disappointing I agree.. but Gary Numan was epic IMHO. As was Saul Williams, Mogwai, Modeselektor, Soulwax/2 many DJs.

SW & Mogwai both great I agree. But Numan I felt lost the audience by having a set of almost entirely new and Kerrang-friendly material. Only played three hits, not festival-compatible at all.

SW & Mogwai both great I agree. But Numan I felt lost the audience by having a set of almost entirely new and Kerrang-friendly material. Only played three hits, not festival-compatible at all.

Ah yes.. but he had been on the industrial trip for at least ten years at that point, so not new... so for sure if you expected Tubeway Army / Pleasure Principle style stuff, you would have been scratching your head wondering if you were in the right tent.

He played about 4 years ago at B&S and he was banging.

If he plays again, give him another chance with a fresh perspective .. check out Pure (2000) and Jagged (2006), both pretty excellent albums and his Savage album from last year also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

kg703 wrote: »
    Primavera Sound line up has been released - What crossovers do you think we might get?

HAIM, Slowdive & Chrvches would be my three wishes from the lineup. If they were to play EP it would significantly soften the blow of (probably) not going to Primavera!

Lot's of great DJs too but sadly not ones I can see being booked for Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Primavera Sound line up has been released - What crossovers do you think we might get?

I'd be happy with:

Spiritualized
    Sparks
    Fever Ray
    Charlotte Gainsbourg
    Mogwai
    Grizzly Bear
    Beach House
    James Holden
    The Breeders

*Think there's a decent chance we'll get Lorde

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'd be happy with:

Spiritualized
    Sparks
    Fever Ray
    Charlotte Gainsbourg
    Mogwai
    Grizzly Bear
    Beach House
    James Holden
    The Breeders

*Think there's a decent chance we'll get Lorde

Yup that's a nice list to get started, some of these could be scooped by Body&Soul Festival too, I think Spiritualized played it before.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yup that's a nice list to get started, some of these could be scooped by Body&Soul Festival too, I think Spiritualized played it before.

Yeah they've got a choir & orchestra in tow too, were exceptional with them in NCH a few years back.

Be interested to see Charlotte Gainsbourg live, the new albums got a couple of belters on it, teamed up with French DJ SebastiAn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

There's an album coming for sure, i'd say it will out just before the summer and then they'll tour everywhere.

I'd expect them to be on quite a few festival bills and then a proper tour october onwards.

I'd say they're a good contender for EP.

The last time they played picnic was just before they released AM wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yep came out a week after they played according to google ;)

If they don't play EP there will be a Malahide Castle type gig for sure.

Hopefully! The marlay Park gig was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I want to throw in there that I would like another biggish Ska band at the Picnic, We've had the Beat, The Skatalites, Madness. Who hasn't played from the Two Tone crowd, The Selector, Bad Manners, The Specials, I don't even know if they are touring these days. And for the Sunday afternoon reggae spot maybe Steel Pulse or Misty in Roots.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Artic monkeys seem to have the bank holiday weekend in August free.....

Ah yes.. but he had been on the industrial trip for at least ten years at that point, so not new... so for sure if you expected Tubeway Army / Pleasure Principle style stuff, you would have been scratching your head wondering if you were in the right tent.

He played about 4 years ago at B&S and he was banging.

If he plays again, give him another chance with a fresh perspective .. check out Pure (2000) and Jagged (2006), both pretty excellent albums and his Savage album from last year also very good.

Had seen him a few times around that period (my best pal is obsessed with Numan & I get dragged to see him every 18 months) and EP was the one i enjoyed least. Setlist just didn't do it for me, but I'd still love him back this year. Surely a big chance after the last album did so well. And thanks for the album recommendations.

I want to throw in there that I would like another biggish Ska band at the Picnic, We've had the Beat, The Skatalites, Madness. Who hasn't played from the Two Tone crowd, The Selector, Bad Manners, The Specials, I don't even know if they are touring these days. And for the Sunday afternoon reggae spot maybe Steel Pulse or Misty in Roots.

I'll second that. Specials & Selecter long overdue. Though the former have a few problems with members leaving (Staples, Radiation) or passing away (Rodriguez, Bradbury). They've now enlisted Steve Cradock from Ocean Colour Scene (send a warning to Jim Carroll) & the Libertines drummer so I guess they'll be touring soon.

For the Sunday slot could I also add Culture, Horace Andy or Damien Marley. And are Third World still going?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could AM do Longitude and then come back next year for a Malahide show or Belfast show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭endainoz

What about Joan Jett? Could be a great Friday night act. Doing a couple of festivals this summer in Europe too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

endainoz wrote: »
    What about Joan Jett? Could be a great Friday night act. Doing a couple of festivals this summer in Europe too?

She would actually be pretty f'n great and leftfield enough that it's not impossible to imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Number from the below would suffice:

War on Drugs
    Chrvches
    Mount Kembie
    Marcel Dettmann
    Mano Le Tough
    The National
    Tyler, the Creator
    Migos
    Charlotte Gainsbourg
    Cigarettes After Sex
    Thundercat