Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Didn't realise Jeff Tweedy was hitting the festival circuit. I'd love to see him in one of the smaller tents.

Yeah, a big pity there's no Wilco return but a big chance we'll get Tweedy. Usually about 7/8 crossovers from EOTR. Jim White, Mulatu Astatke, Hiss Golden Messenger & Ariel Pink would also be most welcome.
    Not confident about good headliners this year but I reckon we'll get a lot of great mid-tier acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Going by previous years, when can we expect an announcement?

And why do EP wait so much longer to announce in comparison to the majority of other festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Last years first announcement was in March IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

gandalfio wrote: »
    Going by previous years, when can we expect an announcement?

And why do EP wait so much longer to announce in comparison to the majority of other festivals?

Possibly because the festival happens much later than the majority of other festivals. This week, Primavera, Open'er, St Gallen and quite a few others started dropping line ups - partial, full or just headliners. NOS Alive did today I think. All of those fall between start of May and end of July, meaning that it is four to five months between announcement and festival.

For EP, the wait is typically the same. Announcement in March for a late August/early September festival.

You have exceptions - like Mad Cool starting their list of acts last year and Primavera announcing the 2017 bill in November 2016 but, for the most part, it's a standard enough wait. Usually those early announcements are for a specific reason too. Mad cool is rebranding and moving to a new site this year, setting itself up as a big name festival, hence the huge names and the early announce. Other reasons can be artist exclusivity or tour changes etc. Like last year, Primavera announced the return of Arcade Fire and the tour schedule of Frank Ocean and (I think) Bon Iver. They probably had to go early to get the jump on everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Tickets arrived this morning :D

Same. It's weird getting tickets when we haven't a clue who'll be playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Feist please.

another festival towards the end of summer:

27067723_10156967314637506_2897398168276557190_n.jpg?oh=5d42f6cb6d2d22d600db859296fb8d32&oe=5B269D39

This is basically what I am worried EP will come out looking like, although I would take the Chem Bros & Friendly Fires. We will probably get a few from the End of the Road festival but it seems like a much smaller festival is it? Seems more like a lineup Body & Soul would get (in terms of size).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This is basically what I am worried EP will come out looking like, although I would take the Chem Bros & Friendly Fires. We will probably get a few from the End of the Road festival but it seems like a much smaller festival is it? Seems more like a lineup Body & Soul would get (in terms of size).

Yeah I think EOR is about 20,000 capacity or something like that. Yeah Wiki said it had 16,000 capacity in 2014 so not that far off.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_the_Road_Festival

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

While the announcement comes out in March, the announcement about the announcement is normally early Feb! Excitimg times!!! ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

New Valley Wolves have posted that there’s news about a festival they’re playing coming tomorrow... tomorrow is also payday for a lot of people, so.....

Wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Peter Hook & The Light playing at Cool Britannia festival in England which is on the same weekend as EP, someone mentioned him the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Peter Hook & The Light playing at Cool Britannia festival in England which is on the same weekend as EP, someone mentioned him the other day.

Not gonna happen. There will be an announcement about the announcement a week before. Very unlikely we get anything before March.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

kg703 wrote: »
    While the announcement comes out in March, the announcement about the announcement is normally early Feb! Excitimg times!!! ��

So last year the lineup was announced March 23rd....but the announcement of the announcement was February 3rd 😉😉

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Lowlands announced there line up with Kendrick Lamar , Id be amazed if he doesnt turn up at EP

Also this 27540298_1619676801412041_6931051937334726466_n.jpg?oh=4de8a2ab257894ec801a702a676ecf57&oe=5B1C863C

First round of names for Lowlands in the Netherlands

Gorillaz, The War On Drugs, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, Bonobo, Dropkick Murphy's, Rag N Bone Man, Bicep (Live), Gavin James, Fatima Yamaha, Spinvis, Grizzly Bear, Stormzy, BROCKHAMPTON, David August, Floating Points (solo live), H09909, Joost, Jordan Rakei, Little Simz, Protomartyr, Rhye, $uicide Boy$, Lauv, Zeal & Ardor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thom Yorke solo at Sonar Barcelona, that would be cool. I'm starting to think Kendrick and Jack White are likely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

If she wasn't, there'd have to be a seriously strong line up I'd say. She's among the 4/5 biggest acts at most of the festivals she has been announced for elsewhere internationally so would expect the same really. You could see her being one of about 4 or 5 headliners with, say, Arctic Monkeys, Depeche Mode, Bjork, Liam Gallagher, Tame Impala, etc.

And, not that it matters, I can't understand the appeal myself but she has a big audience!

Liam Gallagher won't be playing

neddynono wrote: »
    So last year the lineup was announced March 23rd....but the announcement of the announcement was February 3rd 😉😉

Surely Pod festival will change their announcement date?

4 years on the trot people are going on about kendrick lamarr and depeche mode appearing. I hope to **** they both appear this year lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

declanleo wrote: »
    Surely Pod festival will change their announcement date?

Can't see why it would change it by much. The report from MCD is that ticket sales are in a strong place. They know it will sell out. Also, the PoD festival is taking place a month before.

It's next year that the PoD festival may have an impact. All the people who bought their tickets early may hold back a little to compare line ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Green Man Festival could be worth a look for crossover acts, 16th-19th August:
    http://www.greenman.net/line-up/2018/
    Would love to see the mighty Beak> in the Cosby Tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

rubick wrote: »
    That looks like a pretty poor line up, at least for my tastes...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Got my picnic ticket in the post today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I am away at the moment but understand that mine have also arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

First round of names for Lowlands in the Netherlands

Gorillaz, The War On Drugs, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, Bonobo, Dropkick Murphy's, Rag N Bone Man, Bicep (Live), Gavin James, Fatima Yamaha, Spinvis, Grizzly Bear, Stormzy, BROCKHAMPTON, David August, Floating Points (solo live), H09909, Joost, Jordan Rakei, Little Simz, Protomartyr, Rhye, $uicide Boy$, Lauv, Zeal & Ardor.

Dropkicks! One can only hope. Jesus imagine the EA if they played :-)

patch wrote: »
    rubick wrote: »
    That looks like a pretty poor line up, at least for my tastes...
    It's only the first wave of acts, check out the previous years full line-ups. at the bottom of their homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I have no interest in Kendrick Lamar. And I think he will attract a scrote contingent.

I don’t dare hope for Depeche Mode at this stage. EP will only make a fool of me and my hopes. But I’m banking on Chvrches to make my weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

PinkCamper wrote: »
    I have no interest in Kendrick Lamar. And I think he will attract a scrote contingent.

Thing is, they cannot really attract the scrotes, only concentrate the scrotes that are onsite as they'll have already bought their tickets by the time of the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

There was a bit of a crossover between End of the Road and EP last year, and if we got jljust one from EOTRs 2018 lineup, id love to get Vampire Weekend!

Wouldn't say no to St.Vincent or Jeff Tweedy either!

LowOdour wrote: »
    There was a bit of a crossover between End of the Road and EP last year, and if we got jljust one from EOTRs 2018 lineup, id love to get Vampire Weekend!

Wouldn't say no to St.Vincent or Jeff Tweedy either!

If you also study Lowlands lineups you will notice maybe 5 or 6 acts each year that also played the picnic, some years there has been at least 8 acts at both festivals.

• Advertisement

Update on Bjork's touring schedule:

"due to logistical issues , two of our summer shows this year are being rescheduled
    the eden project show - originally planned for june 20 - will now take place later , on july 7
    but the performance in dalhalla will be sooner : july 14 instead of august 25
    we are very sorry if this is bad news . tickets are still valid and refundable through your vendor
    but we hope you can all still make it - see you in july !"

Clearly taking a week off before heading to Stradbally, lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement