Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nickleback... jesus

Rumour has it that sinkholes were created in cities when Nickleback are playing on the opposite side of the world, as they suck that much

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

To elaborate a bit more..

Bjork - playing festivals in Europe all summer, one in Portugal in August.
    Arctic Monkeys - likewise touring festivals all summer including 3 in August
    Arcade Fire - I would say unlikely as they are playing Dublin in April?
    Depeche Mode - the dream.. but last European date is July.
    The Killers - look to be touring Europe early summer, back in USA for late July
    The Chemical Brothers - too soon to play again after 2016??
    Queens of The Stone Age - nothing past mid July.
    Kasabian - Playing Belfast 10 days before EP.
    The Prodigy - two European festivals in August.
    NERD - playing France week before EP.
    Kendrick Lamar - numerous European fests in August.
    Lorde - can't see anything past June yet?
    Massive Attack - nothing past July yet.
    Stereophonics - nothing past July, playing Dublin in March.
    Snow Patrol - nothing past July yet.

Arctic Monkeys/Kendrick/Massive Attack ideally personally.

Tame Impala & David Byrne sub-headliners if I'm being greedy.

Lorde as mentioned earlier seems a definite for the 'credible popular solo chick' slot so there goes one off my wish-list straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

Snow patrol!!!! Not a snow balls chance in hell (thank god). They could sell out double the crowd by them selves. If they play then that's the budget blown.
    NIN would be my fav from the recent posts, they would be absolutely amazing but I'm not sure how well they would fit in.
    The pumpkins are rumoured to be getting back together for a tour but this September might be too soon for them to hit Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Ah snow patrol have a good few decent tracks, my only issues with them is that any live version I’ve heard of them has been pants.

Pumpkins are rumored to be touring every bloody year, double dream team of them and talking heads for their joint album which was produced by Bowie and prince before they died

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

Pumpkins are rumored to be touring every bloody year,

Agreed but a reunion is looking promising at the moment. I'll dream on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

For the record, David Byrne is in the US end of August. Vampire weekend headlining EOTR fest has me very intrigued though.

Kendrick, Bjork, Vampire Weekend, NERD headliners?

I think Lorde would actually be very good to see too live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hope it’s not Kasabian. They are good live but I’ve seen them so many times now I’d much prefer Lorde. I missed her at glasto last year and her live show is supposed to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Anyone get installment plan tickets delivered recently?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Someone from efestivals forum confirmed (from The Cribs) that Kendrick is headlining Reading/Leeds (because they are headlining The Pit stage while he is on).

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

N.E.R.D. will definitely play.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

209 sleeps

Snarky Snark Snark

I know Pharrell Williams is nerd, but are they actually popular or is it just the fact that he’s in the group.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a single track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I know Pharrell Williams is nerd, but are they actually popular or is it just the fact that he’s in the group.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a single track.

They were pretty big in the early noughties, a couple of very good albums. The one track you're likely to know is She Wants to Move.

Not listened to the December album but it has an A-list guest list (Lamar, Sheeran, MIA, Rihanna, etc). Sales not great to date and I don't see them as headliners but I didn't see LDR or ATCQ as top of the bill either. Perfect subs to Kendrick Lamar if he shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Rockstar and lapdance were massive hits for nerd too.. Wouldn't expect them to top the bill at ep but after seeing Lana del ray and a tribe called quest you never know, prodigy two festivals in Europe in august so also surely a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see Madness is playing the Big Top this year at the Galway Arts festival, one of my favourite sets from last year, better than the 2009 set at EP because they played this one, this time.

And Caribou is playing the Big Top on Saturday 28th so I suppose that rules him out of EP this year. https://www.giaf.ie/events/caribou

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Off to British Sea Power in Whelan's on Tuesday. They will inevitably be brilliant. Thundering disgrace that they haven't been to Stradbally yet. Somebody sort it out, ffs.

I see Madness is playing the Big Top this year at the Galway Arts festival, one of my favourite sets from last year, better than the 2009 set at EP because they played this one, this time.

And Caribou is playing the Big Top on Saturday 28th so I suppose that rules him out of EP this year. https://www.giaf.ie/events/caribou

Yep, he's out as the Galway gig is an Irish exclusive. Thanks for reminding me to get tickets. Love that Big Top. Brian Wilson there last year was stunning.

tonto123 wrote: »
    Rockstar and lapdance were massive hits for nerd too.. Wouldn't expect them to top the bill at ep but after seeing Lana del ray and a tribe called quest you never know, prodigy two festivals in Europe in august so also surely a possibility

To be fair they only had one top ten hit anywhere (She Wants...) so Pharrell would be the attraction, especially if he took any guest singers along. But they never had the sales nor streaming figures of LDR or ATCQ so them headlining would be a major surprise.

If NERD are announced, they will be in the top 5/6 acts on the poster, take that as you will.

They will certainly build hype and be a nice coup compared to a lot of other festivals that don't book pop/hip-hop.

• Advertisement

MattD wrote: »
    If NERD are announced, they will be in the top 5/6 acts on the poster, take that as you will.

They will certainly build hype and be a nice coup compared to a lot of other festivals that don't book pop/hip-hop.

Fully agree. Them & Kendrick Lamar would make for a great Sunday night. Throw in Thundercat & Kamasi Washington and that'd be a fine weekend already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

NERD are pretty big, would be a great sub-headliner.

For those who do not remember, Pharrell Williams & Chad Hugo are also The Neptunes who were enormous producers in the naughties winning a few grammies to boot. According to their wikipedia page, their net worth is somewhere in the $160m range. OK, so wealth a headliner does not make, but do not underestimate the heritage that these guys have amassed. NERD is really just a side project of The Neptunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Id love to see NERD even though rap/rnb are at the bottom of my musical tastes (vastly above country and trad though :pac:)

I know a far lot more of their songs then ATCQ

I think theyd be fun to see

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Exactly I don't think too many in Ireland apart from the hardcore people would know many atcq tracks... May have sold a lot of records but not in Ireland and certainly not a household name compared to a lot of rap artists out there ... As for Lana del ray I font think many could name 5 or 6 of her tracks yet she headlined. So we just don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Fully agree. Them & Kendrick Lamar would make for a great Sunday night. Throw in Thundercat & Kamasi Washington and that'd be a fine weekend already.
    Thundercat and Kamasi Washington would be perfect. Saw both at Glastonbury this past two years, outstanding.

rubick wrote: »

Thundercat and Kamasi Washington would be perfect. Saw both at Glastonbury this past two years, outstanding.

Very jealous. Have seen Thundercat (alas not at Glasto) but not KW. Having both at EP doing their own sets & later getting on stage with Kendrick would be bliss. I reckon we'll get two out of three.

Edit: scrub that, Thundercat playing Forbidden Fruit. KW on early Summer European tour so unlikely to return & his set may be too subtle for a noisy fest. At best we'll get Kendrick on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Very jealous. Have seen Thundercat (alas not at Glasto) but not KW. Having both at EP doing their own sets & later getting on stage with Kendrick would be bliss. I reckon we'll get two out of three.

Edit: scrub that, Thundercat playing Forbidden Fruit. KW on early Summer European tour so unlikely to return & his set may be too subtle for a noisy fest. At best we'll get Kendrick on his own.

Kamasi Washington is playing the beatyard festival this year :(

Rfrip wrote: »

Kamasi Washington is playing the beatyard festival this year :(

More bad news. And reports from last years' Beatyard indicate a family-friendly fest with most punters uniinterested in the music, lots of nattering during acts, etc. Not ideal for Kamasi.

I find Beatyard to be maddeningly confusing. Kamasi Washington, Orbital and Little Dragon are mega weird bookings for a kinda casual city festival at the beach with a focus on family fun...

I can imagine the artists not being too impressed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bestival announcing their lineup tomorrow evening.. We usually share a few acts with them, although they are moving to the August bank holiday weekend this year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement