Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Migos co-headliners on the Friday of a fairly stellar Primavera ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ALRIGHT,I'm getting old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

declanleo wrote: »
    ALRIGHT,I'm getting old

I just had to google them and after reading their 'legal issues' part on Wikipedia Im surprised they are allowed out of the country :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Migos co-headliners on the Friday of a fairly stellar Primavera ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also to the bemusement of most though

I'd never heard of them, looked them up cuz I'm going to Prima. Listened to a bit on spotify, didn't get it. Watched a bit live on youtube, jesus it was awful.

I am also getting old though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Latitude lineup pretty uninspiring. A few I'd take from it though - Mogwai, Nadine Shah, Breeders, Sleeper, Jon Hopkins. And for those James fans there's likely an Irish visit ahead, EP or the POD festival.
    http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/18/180212a.shtml
    Get ready for hot Tim Booth crowdsurfing action, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Festival no 6 line up out at 12 today.... There wasn't much of a crossover last year but rag n bone man, noel Gallagher, grace Jones, belle and Sebastian and hot chip have all done electric picnic after doing festival no 6 over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Kings of Leon announcing their first gigs of the year for Reading/Leeds the week before EP is a worrying development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Been looking at the trend of headliners shared between Reading and EP.

Its not been a good track record.

Which is good in the sense that I don't want to see Kings of Leon anywhere near, but also means Kendrick might not. Kendricks's set isn't very long and that's why he's co headlining with Panic at the Disco in Reading.

I'm going to go with Arcade Fire, Queens of the Stone Age and a female act, Lorde/Florence.

Bon Iver has said he's being booked to play PitchFork Paris (start Nov) and we have shared alot of acts with this fest.

Like you have to remember both Fests are owned by Live Nation, why would you want your fest competing with another of your fests scheduled around the same time?

I reckon Kings of Leon and Kendrick for a belfast show in August same as Eminem and Muse (last year headliners) last year.

Not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

So what you're saying is Arcade Fire, Depeche Mode and Morrissey for Stradbally then? Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Stillill42 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is Arcade Fire, Depeche Mode and Morrissey for Stradbally then? Cool.

Nope, Sum41, Lil Pump and Panic at the Disco to headline :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Electric Fields in Scotland (same weekend as EP) are also announcing some acts today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Been looking at the trend of headliners shared between Reading and EP.

Its not been a good track record.

Which is good in the sense that I don't want to see Kings of Leon anywhere near, but also means Kendrick might not. Kendricks's set isn't very long and that's why he's co headlining with Panic at the Disco in Reading.

I'm going to go with Arcade Fire, Queens of the Stone Age and a female act, Lorde/Florence.

Bon Iver has said he's being booked to play PitchFork Paris (start Nov) and we have shared alot of acts with this fest.

Only issue I can foresee with Arcade Fire is that they don't play Dublin until April. EP will want to announce their full (or close to it) tranche of headliners by the end of March (most likely based on the last few years) and it's unlikely the band/promoters would be okay with a festival slot being announced before a headline slot had been performed, or at least sold out. They have a fairly extensive European tour that comes to an end in mid-June before returning to the US in July. I mean, it's not impossible but I don't think it seems likely.

Also, on Pitchfork Paris... Has EP shared acts? Just looking at headline acts - 2017 was the National, Kamasi Washington and RTJ, so that's 1/3. 2016 was Explosions in the Sky, Bat for Lashes, Moderat and DJ Shadow - I don't think there was any crossover there. 2015 was Beach House, Thom Yorke, RTJ again and Father John Misty - again not sure if there was any crossover there.

I'm sure if you dig down into the line-ups, there was a bit of crossover but that's the nature of festivals: there's only so many acts actually touring so it's inevitable.

Wouldn't rule out Bon Iver, sure, but him playing a November gig in France hardly makes him any more or less likely to play an Irish one in August/Sept.

Only issue I can foresee with Arcade Fire is that they don't play Dublin until April. EP will want to announce their full (or close to it) tranche of headliners by the end of March (most likely based on the last few years) and it's unlikely the band/promoters would be okay with a festival slot being announced before a headline slot had been performed, or at least sold out. They have a fairly extensive European tour that comes to an end in mid-June before returning to the US in July. I mean, it's not impossible but I don't think it seems likely.

Also, on Pitchfork Paris... Has EP shared acts? Just looking at headline acts - 2017 was the National, Kamasi Washington and RTJ, so that's 1/3. 2016 was Explosions in the Sky, Bat for Lashes, Moderat and DJ Shadow - I don't think there was any crossover there. 2015 was Beach House, Thom Yorke, RTJ again and Father John Misty - again not sure if there was any crossover there.

I'm sure if you dig down into the line-ups, there was a bit of crossover but that's the nature of festivals: there's only so many acts actually touring so it's inevitable.

Wouldn't rule out Bon Iver, sure, but him playing a November gig in France hardly makes him any more or less likely to play an Irish one in August/Sept.

Arcade fire gig is sold out. They also are playing Live Nation fests in and around Scandinavia around mid august. So i'd say they're a contender.

I suppose i'm not specifically talking about headliners for the Pitchfork thing but we've shared the undercard and I suppose Electric Picnic is a similar style of fest.

Also as he is touring around that time and won't be doing Sounds from a safe Harbour in Sep which he and The National's did last year. (Dressner bros who organised the fest) He's also signed up to top bill two Live Nation Fests in the states before 'a possible euro fest tour'

Now it's possible he'll just skip Ireland considering he did two fests here last year?

Ideally I'd love Depeche Mode, Queens and Bon Iver. And i think it's possible.

Who do you think will Head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Arcade fire gig is sold out. They also are playing Live Nation fests in and around Scandinavia around mid august. So i'd say they're a contender.

I suppose i'm not specifically talking about headliners for the Pitchfork thing but we've shared the undercard and I suppose Electric Picnic is a similar style of fest.

Also as he is touring around that time and won't be doing Sounds from a safe Harbour in Sep which he and The National's did last year. (Dressner bros who organised the fest) He's also signed up to top bill two Live Nation Fests in the states before 'a possible euro fest tour'

Now it's possible he'll just skip Ireland considering he did two fests here last year?

Ideally I'd love Depeche Mode, Queens and Bon Iver. And i think it's possible.

Who do you think will Head?

Didn't realise Arcade Fire had sold out so apologies there! Also, didn't realise they were back in Europe in August - it didn't show up on Google when I went searching but it must cap the results before you click on the site. :o

Like I said, I wouldn't rule out either AF or Bon Iver necessarily, but I wouldn't class them among the most likely to play. Bon Iver played Forbidden Fruit and Sounds from a Safe Harbour (which isn't on this year, sadly) so he has actually played quite a bit in Ireland in comparison to some other countries, like you said. His touring schedule is always a bit all over the place, like shows in Blackpool and Manchester last year but no London gigs until this year when he has like 5 planned... There's no discernable pattern!

And, with AF, a big gig this year following a big gig last year... It's not impossible, again, but it's not the most exciting headliner ever just on the back of how many gigs they've played here recently.

I reckon that Depeche Mode are in with a good shout. I would expect someone like Lorde on the top line and I think Arctic Monkeys have to be in the conversation given their prominence everywhere else and their lack of an Irish date so far. I would think that Kendrick Lamar is a definite possibility, too, and I think Tame Impala could well be there as part of the top 5/6 names.

I think Fleet Foxes are pretty likely to be in that top tier of acts too since they're in Europe in late August and have no Irish gig this year (as far as I can see anyway but apparently I keep missing those :o:p) and maybe Bjork?

It's hard to say for sure and a lot of the acts I would have expected (War on Drugs, Grizzly Bear, National) are already here earlier in the year. As well, without making a single comment on the quality of the last 3/4 years, I wouldn't have come close to guessing those line-ups in advance, with the likes of Sam Smith, Lana del Ray and Duran Duran surprising me so I'm half braced for something like that too!

That said, it definitely wouldn't be all of those acts - so let's say Depeche Mode or Bjork, with Arctic Monkeys or Kendrick, Lorde, Tame Impala and Fleet Foxes.

So regardless,

it's going to be another great year!!

So much choice.. and all that undercard to wait for :)

Festival No.6
    The headliners and more have been announced for Festival No. 6, which takes place at Various Venues in Portmeirion, Wales between Thursday 6th and Sunday 9th September 2018.

Franz Ferdinand will headline the Friday, after releasing their new album "Always Ascending" on Friday 9th February, and Friendly Fires return from a brief hiatus to close the festival on the Sunday. They join previously announced headliners The The, who play on Saturday.

Other announced acts include The Charlatans, Manchester Camerata Orchestra, Joe Duddell and the No.6 Ensemble, Jessie Ware, Everything Everything, Django Django, Ride, Anna Calvi, The Horrors, A Certain Ratio, Gaz Coombes, Go Go Penguin, Alexis Taylor, Paul Draper, Lewis Capaldi, Tom Walker, Hak Baker, Amen Dunes, Hollie Cook, Gengahr, Haelos, Gwenno, The Lovely Eggs, Warm Digits, Raf Rundell, Amber Arcades, Tom Williams

The DJ/electronic line-up will feature:- Kenny Dope, Roy Davis Jnr, Hot Chip, Erol Alkan, Willow, Honey Dijon, Horse Meat Disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Not much I'd want from Reading/Leeds & Festival No. 6. Not seen a truly essential lineup this Summer (even Primavera was pretty unadventurous I thought) though some great one-dayers (Cure in Hyde Park & some days of All Points East).

Hoping for better from EP, but a wee bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That said, it definitely wouldn't be all of those acts - so let's say Depeche Mode or Bjork, with Arctic Monkeys or Kendrick, Lorde, Tame Impala and Fleet Foxes.

I think you could be right. Hard to guess this year especially after some of the surprises the last few years but I think something like you said seems fairly realistic and something for everyone.. although only depeche mode and tame impala would really interest me.

Lots of good acts touring this summer but a lot of them ruled out of EP due to other gigs in Ireland this summer.

I'd say if anything, it makes him less likely for EP, and more likely to be playing the RDS on the same weekend as Metropolis, as it's the same time as Pitchfork Paris, and it's run by POD who booked him to headline/curate a day at Forbidden Fruit.
    probably be more like a standalone gig on the night before, like DJ Shadow was on the Thursday a couple of years ago. or the 2 stage thing on the Saturday last year, with Bon Iver "curating" the lineup again too.

Nice one,

I'd be really happy with an indoor gig and those stand alone opening days are generally 50eur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Would he really be back for a third show on the same tour?

Not that I'd be complaining.

Preoccupations released their new single today, also tour dates right through to the end of July including Latitude.
    Last at EP 2015 under their old bandname rocking the Cosby Tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

rubick wrote: »
    Preoccupations released their new single today, also tour dates right through to the end of July including Latitude.
    Last at EP 2015 under their old bandname rocking the Cosby Tent.

Fantastic live band. I heard Beck on Radio 6 Music yesterday recommending their upcoming album. Last 2 albums have both been fantastic.

No Dublin date on that World Tour list. I cant see them heading back across the ocean after the UK stretch of their already pretty packed tour.

Ah, yes right enough Latitude is mid-July, their last listed gig so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

bergipau wrote: »
    Agreed but a reunion is looking promising at the moment. I'll dream on

hmmmmm

q09olVI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

hmmmmm

q09olVI.png

I would take anything on the line up and not give out about it if smashing pumpkins are announced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Childish Gambino announced as a headliner for Lovebox in London on the same weekend as Longitude. I'm sure plenty would love him as a potential headliner!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

bergipau wrote: »
    Agreed but a reunion is looking promising at the moment. I'll dream on

hmmmmm

q09olVI.png
    ...I'd take it!! :)
    [ya Guardian reader, ye...! - what browser is that?]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

That’s just plain ole chrome

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red