Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

If the Picnic booked more than one of this quintet of doom (Libs/Kings of Leon/Killers/Kasabian/Kaisers) then they can kiss the positive equity of a couple 1000 regulars goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Wooderson wrote: »
    If the Picnic booked more than one of this quintet of doom (Libs/Kings of Leon/Killers/Kasabian/Kaisers) then they can kiss the positive equity of a couple 1000 regulars goodbye.

A bit harsh on the Libertines? A great live band. As for the rest.....

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

they booked florence sam smith and blur in 2015 so not much difference really... ... and lana del rey , years and years and the 1975 in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Surely the Live Nation/Festival Republic connection works in EP's favour. Surprisingly we don't get a great many shared acts with Reading/Leeds but a fair chance we'll have Kendrick this year.

It's just looking at the history of headliners of both fests and it doens't favour Kendrick showing at EP.

But with the amount of fests that Kendrick is doing it's not impossible.

Although i think Leeds/reading will be his last before he goes back stateside.

Personally i'd really like to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

tonto123 wrote: »
    they booked florence sam smith and blur in 2015 so not much difference really... ... and lana del rey , years and years and the 1975 in 2016

One of these things is not like the others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

One of these things is not like the others...

each to their own but id rather the libertines at a festival im headed too than sam smith or the 1975 but as i said absolutely each to their own... totally see your point on the other bands as they are so mainstream

I would disagree with you here. Blur are in a different league to the aforementioned shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

each to their own but id rather the libertines at a festival im headed too than sam smith or the 1975 but as i said absolutely each to their own... totally see your point on the other bands as they are so mainstream

I agree with you there - Libs over Sam Smith, 1975, etc for sure. But Blur are in a different league to any of those.

No issue with mainstream by any stretch - just that the Killers, the Kaisers (and the Kooks and their ilk!) are all just really dull IMO.

Kaisers are the f9cking dregs.

It's just looking at the history of headliners of both fests and it doens't favour Kendrick showing at EP.

Glasgow Summer Sessions on Wed 29 August so surely increases the chances? Be nice for him to finish his tour in Stradbally.

• Advertisement

Glasgow Summer Sessions on Wed 29 August so surely increases the chances? Be nice for him to finish his tour in Stradbally.

oops I mentioned Glasgow summer sessions before in the thread, forgot to add there as his final date.

Basically; if Belfast Vital announce him in the next while then it's game over man.. game over.

But hey, no one knows apart from the booking team.

Who's your ideas for the three headliners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Surely the Live Nation/Festival Republic connection works in EP's favour. Surprisingly we don't get a great many shared acts with Reading/Leeds but a fair chance we'll have Kendrick this year.
    yep, booking acts in package deals is a common thing, although R&L and EP rarely shared acts that would have suited both festivals.
    seems to be becoming more common now that artists are looking for bigger gig fees to counteract smaller album income.

i wouldn't have said EP and R&L are rivals either, very few similarities between the festivals or attendees, not to mention being in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Kaisers are the f9cking dregs.

"We're struggling for lyrics on this new song Ricky"
    "Don't worry lads created some banging lyrics at the weekend.... ahaaa ahhhaaaa ahaaaaaaa Ahaaaaa"

yep, booking acts in package deals is a common thing, although R&L and EP rarely shared acts that would have suited both festivals.
    seems to be becoming more common now that artists are looking for bigger gig fees to counteract smaller album income.

i wouldn't have said EP and R&L are rivals either, very few similarities between the festivals or attendees, not to mention being in different countries.

It's not so much being 'rivals' as they're owned by the same parent company and their aim is to make as much money as possible.

For example.

My GF wanted to see Eminem in 2017 as he wasn't playing Electric Picnic for which I had tickets for.

My options were, go to Reading/leeds or go to a stand alone gig in Glasgow (also ran by Live Nation).

The way headliners are laid out in fests are to also attract people from other countries/other festivals with exclusivities.

Now the result is i'm going to two fests/ or one fest and one stand alone gig.

Either way Live Nation have now made more Revenue.

oops I mentioned Glasgow summer sessions before in the thread, forgot to add there as his final date.

Basically; if Belfast Vital announce him in the next while then it's game over man.. game over.

But hey, no one knows apart from the booking team.

Who's your ideas for the three headliners?

Unfortunately I'd say that Belfast is more likely but I live in hope.

Who I'd love: Kendrick, Tame Impala, Arcade Fire

Who's more likely: Arctic Monkeys, Lorde, Bjork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Unfortunately I'd say that Belfast is more likely but I live in hope.

Who I'd love: Kendrick, Tame Impala, Arcade Fire

Who's more likely: Arctic Monkeys, Lorde, Bjork

I’d be delighted with smashing pumpkins and your three

Along with Francis and the lights, royscopp and Robyn I’d be delighted!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I know that'd be a very popular decision with some people, but that'd be my idea of absolute hell for a festival line-up.

As in it's not so much about who is playing as it is who is not playing? I almost prefer festivals with headliners that I don't particularly like as it usually means that I can either see my favourite bands in smaller tents or else I can wander around and see something new. But it doesn't bother me if bands that I don't like are playing the same festival.

Is the point that such bands would attract a different crowd to EP?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Quite likely i'd say, be surprised if St. Vincent isn't on the lineup too. Big enough for the main stage at this point?

Maybe David Byrne as well. They're both playing Coachella and they released an album together a few years ago and played EP in 2013. A David Bryne, St Vincent, the two together or some combo would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

24miia.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Maybe David Byrne as well. They're both playing Coachella and they released an album together a few years ago and played EP in 2013. A David Bryne, St Vincent, the two together or some combo would be brilliant.

As much as i'd love it, it's looking unlikely. He's in Europe until mid July and then back to the US with his last listed date in RedRocks, August 28th.

Not impossible i suppose, be very disappointing if we don't get any Irish gig on the new tour.

• Advertisement

As in it's not so much about who is playing as it is who is not playing? I almost prefer festivals with headliners that I don't particularly like as it usually means that I can either see my favourite bands in smaller tents or else I can wander around and see something new. But it doesn't bother me if bands that I don't like are playing the same festival.

Is the point that such bands would attract a different crowd to EP?

Apart from disliking KOL, Killers, Arctics a major downside for me of having such acts is not the crowd but the sheer amount spent on them. The three above would likely each cost the same as two other decent potential headliners (eg Tame Impala, Leftfield).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I'll happily risk my second infraction of the week.
    The Kaiser Chiefs may be muck, but having seen them three times live, for various reasons, Ricky Wilson is to be fair, an excellent front man.

Now, I'm off to have a shower

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Basically nobody has a clue😂 nobody guessed Duran Duran last year(says with confidence without checking) personally my hope is just to play dont care whos headlining Kendrick, Tame Impala, James, Shame, Dream Wife, Aphex Twin, Peggy Gou, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bjork, David Byrne, Wolf Alice, The Oreilys, Weaves, Tracy Bonham, Rostam. and whatever your having yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Well that's Smashing Pumpkins ruled out.
    Touring the states from July to September 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I'll happily risk my second infraction of the week.
    The Kaiser Chiefs may be muck, but having seen them three times live, for various reasons, Ricky Wilson is to be fair, an excellent front man.

Now, I'm off to have a shower

I'll agree with this, although the only time I saw them was at Oxegen 08 before RATM. The band knew that everyone was there for Rage, owned it, and put on a class performance. Will always remember them fondly for that. But I do think that shtick can only get you so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Well that's Smashing Pumpkins ruled out.
    Touring the states from July to September 7th.

That’s upsetting

Rfrip wrote: »
    That’s upsetting

They were despreh a couple years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Leftfield announced a gig in Scotland Thur 30th just before the picnic. Surely a shoe in for a late night slot?

They've already been announced for Townlands Carnival, but its only a DJ set which is considerably different to a live band set, I would be inclined to think it was a live band set if it said live in brackets next to the name, so most likely a DJ set for the Electric Fields gig too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

I don't want to temp fate but the Glasgow show just seems the perfect mid point between Reading and Leeds and an EP Saturday night slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

N.e.r.d could be a good shout for a band higher up the bill. Wouldn't have thought they'd be headliner material but having said that, neither were A Tribe Called Quest last year.

Few guesses as to who might be alongside them:
    Tame Impala
    Nick Cave
    Fleet Foxes
    Arctic Monkeys
    Flying Lotus
    Childish Gambino

and a few stabs at the mediocre/****e side of things:
    Ben Howard
    Kaiser Chiefs
    The Killers
    Arcade Fire